PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Upgrades....what to do!?

gravylegs
04-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone,
This weekend I took delivery of my 2007 RS B package Liftback! Got the lowering springs, door sill protectors, cargo and all season mats, and the power everything. So far I love it!

EXCEPT

The stereo is WEAK. Here are my beefs:

1) The RS comes with an all black interior, even the center console plate. The double din SILVER stereo sticks out like a sore thumb! It looks super cheap as it is just silver painted plastic. The worst part about this is since it is so prominant due to the contrast, it is one of the first things that people look at. Such a shame.

2) There is absolutely no low end to this stereo. To hear any sort of bass at all I need to crank the bass setting up to 3 or 4, and then everything sounds muddy.

3) There isn't much in the way of volume. Driving around with the windows down and the stereo on means I have to crank it up to 50+ which makes it sound like junk.

My questions:

1) Has anyone replaced the stereo with a single din head unit? If so, can I see a picture? Curious to see what you did to fill the space. I'd like to throw my old head unit in this baby. No, it doesn't accomodate 6 cd's, but with mp3 cds, who really cares about a changer?

2) Im thinking to put a subwoofer in this car, but don't want to take up precious cargo space. Ideally I want to build a box with enough airspace to accomodate a 10" that would fit beside the spare tire where there is currently a storage "tray". I used to drive an insight, and a guy had custom made a box to fit specially into an unused area of space. Check it out at http://www.geoff.shepherd.com/xwayland/main.html
Has anyone done anything like this yet?

Thanks for listening to the rant, and for any feedback I end up getting!
gravylegs

why?
04-17-2006, 06:24 PM
You can always plop an equalizer below the head unit to fill in the extra space nicely.

bigsky2
04-17-2006, 06:38 PM
There are new 8" and 10" subwoofers designed with a smaller driver, which allows for smaller boxes to be constructed. They have the same ability to deliver the base as with traditional drivers, but they're made for tight compact situations (ie. imagine 2 x 12" in a Mini Cooper without modifying the rear seats).

As for the head unit... I recommend an aftermarket deck. Something from Premier (Pioneer's flagship brand) or Kenwood would be ideal.

To fill in the double din space if you are using a single din sized deck, you can purchase a "frame" that will house the stereo on the top level, and there is an open space on the bottom for you to store items.

Toyota makes these adapter/frames. Ask your dealer for more info.
Of course an experienced audio store will be able to take care of this too!

Leenis24
04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't think i'll want the stock stereo for to long either. I plan on getting a single din deck. I think i'll just wait till a dash kit comes out in the US, or just see if i can get one from Canada, assuming that Canada has them by now, seeming how im less then a mile from the Quebec boarder, it shouldn't be to hard to get one.

jcove
04-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone,
This weekend I took delivery of my 2007 RS B package Liftback! Got the lowering springs, door sill protectors, cargo and all season mats, and the power everything. So far I love it!

EXCEPT

The stereo is WEAK. Here are my beefs:

1) The RS comes with an all black interior, even the center console plate. The double din SILVER stereo sticks out like a sore thumb! It looks super cheap as it is just silver painted plastic. The worst part about this is since it is so prominant due to the contrast, it is one of the first things that people look at. Such a shame.

2) There is absolutely no low end to this stereo. To hear any sort of bass at all I need to crank the bass setting up to 3 or 4, and then everything sounds muddy.

3) There isn't much in the way of volume. Driving around with the windows down and the stereo on means I have to crank it up to 50+ which makes it sound like junk.

My questions:

1) Has anyone replaced the stereo with a single din head unit? If so, can I see a picture? Curious to see what you did to fill the space. I'd like to throw my old head unit in this baby. No, it doesn't accomodate 6 cd's, but with mp3 cds, who really cares about a changer?

2) Im thinking to put a subwoofer in this car, but don't want to take up precious cargo space. Ideally I want to build a box with enough airspace to accomodate a 10" that would fit beside the spare tire where there is currently a storage "tray". I used to drive an insight, and a guy had custom made a box to fit specially into an unused area of space. Check it out at http://www.geoff.shepherd.com/xwayland/main.html
Has anyone done anything like this yet?

Thanks for listening to the rant, and for any feedback I end up getting!
gravylegs

I have the MP3 deck and it isn't too bad, but I have an LE, so I don't have the Black/Grey problem. I'd be upset too if I bought the more expensive RS and ended up with that. I think it's kind of cheesy looking, no offense. I bought a sub and amp, Lightening Audio, and the sound is way better. I turn the bass off (-5) on the head unit and just use the stock speakers for upper mid and treble. Then the sub takes all the low end stuff. It's really tight. The only problem is the box takes up space. I'm going to take out the spare and buy the compressor with the liquid seal to save space and weight (I know not much but....) then I'm putting my sub in the spare location.

That being said, in your case I'd buy an aftermarket the way everyone is suggesting and put in a sub in the spare well.:thumbup:

Sp33dY
04-17-2006, 08:45 PM
I agree... standard head units suck!!!

I'LL HAVE the other problem! Finding an aftermarket unit i LIKE that isnt BLACK! A black cd/dvd player that i like will stand out on the silver panel .... go figure!

echo_hrs
04-18-2006, 12:01 AM

Sp33dY
04-18-2006, 12:35 AM
JVC make a few nice piano black head units. Orange is such an ugly dash colour i think and looks a bit outdated ... a ot of 80s cars had dashlights that were orange!

This is the head unit i really want next, but it'd look out of place against a silver dash :( Again, buttons are highlighted with blue and red ... no orange.

http://www.jvc-australia.com/!UploadedMedia/images/KD-AVX2_m(1).jpg

Leenis24
04-18-2006, 06:04 PM
That JVC is really fricken nice. Every head unit i've owned has been JVC, i like them. Although i think this time im going to all Alpine, deck, amp, all four speakers and subs. I wanna keep everything uniform this time, not all different stuff.

kralmrax
04-19-2006, 08:18 AM
i also have the 6 disc mp3 stereo in the rs and agree with what is being said above. i've noticed that the stereo occasionally stops "reading" the mp3, the stereo goes silent then skips forward to the next song, it does this randomly and in the middle of the song. this pisses me off if i'm in the midst of rocking out! the stereo looks like garbage, and once i confirm the existence of a bracket for the yaris, i'm definitely going back to my single disc jvc. i like the idea of putting in an equalizer to cover the extra space. it seems absurd that so much thought and work was put into these cars, but the stereo looks like it belongs in an 86 k-car. if anyone installs an aftermarket deck in their yaris please post pics, and i promise to do the same, cheers.

riceboy
04-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Anyone install a DVD head unit?? I think that it would look amazing!

Sp33dY
04-19-2006, 09:26 PM
A member on my forums has put an Alpine unit into his Yaris.

http://www.oztoyota.com/stuff/peteaussi7.jpg

bdiu
04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
mine is panasonic
it works great. I will post a pic tmrw

DJ_SpaRky
04-20-2006, 07:41 AM
A member on my forums has put an Alpine unit into his Yaris.

I will too, taking my CDA-9851 from the xB

gravylegs
04-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey Sp33dy....

Regarding the picture that you posted, that looks nice! Does anyone know if the deck has built in amplifier or if it is separated and powered elsewhere? I would be suprised if this were the case....but thought I would ask before I ripped stuff apart.

Oh, and does anyone know a reputable tinter in the GTA?

gravylegs

riceboy
04-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey gravylegs, I'm going up to f/x auto to get my tint done... http://www.fxauto.com/ I've had countless amount of cars done by them and they are kick ass!

riceboy
04-20-2006, 09:39 AM
btw did you get a 3 or 5 door?

bigsky2
04-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Can anyone suggest a place to purchase a stereo dash mounting kit for single DIN head units?

Toyota OEM, or perhaps an aftermarket kit for the Yaris specifically?
I came across several kits for the 06/07 Corollas, Scions, and Camry. But no sign of the Yaris 06/07.

Sp33dY
04-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Does anyone know if the deck has built in amplifier or if it is separated and powered elsewhere? I would be suprised if this were the case....but thought I would ask before I ripped stuff apart.

NO.

plushDJ
04-20-2006, 09:02 PM
God, someone better make a kit for this damn deck soon or I'm gonna freak out!!!

Sp33dY
04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
What do you mean a KIT ? Should be simple AS to put an aftermarket head unit in without a OEm 'kit' or whatever you are after!!!

plushDJ
04-20-2006, 10:03 PM
I thought bigsky2 said they need a kit to fit a deck in the liftback. Is it just standard 1.5 or 2 din?? I don't have my yaris yet but if it is standard, it shouldn't be a problem at all

plushDJ
04-20-2006, 10:10 PM
whoops, just read the first thread, double din. man am I dumb :thumbdown:
I think I'm going deck and eq

DJ_SpaRky
04-21-2006, 07:39 AM
NO Single Din Install kit has been released...YET!

it is in the works, for now you can use the factory ISO Mounts & install it that way, it wom't look pretty but it'll work.

gravylegs
04-21-2006, 10:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to go to any stereo shop and get a double-din mounting kit which would allow you to throw two single din devices into it....I dont think that you really need to wait for something specific from Toyota.....

Thanks for the tint link. THink I will head over there soon.

My car is a 3dr if it was me that someone was asking.

Ron
04-24-2006, 03:37 AM
i've got an mp3/dvd/screen setup in my car. the upper DIN slot houses a retractable screen, and the lower slot houses the mp3/dvd/radio. you DO need some sort of a mounting kit to make everything look pretty, as the hole in the dash is about 1cm wider on either side of the standard DIN size deck. mine just has a long hole on either side right now, kind of ugly. but its been like that for 4 months, and im getting used to it.

gravylegs
04-24-2006, 12:35 PM
How about a picture!?

plushDJ
04-24-2006, 01:04 PM
yeah, PIC!!!!

Ron
04-24-2006, 02:53 PM
as you can see, i have a long slot on either side of the units because the OEM deck is sized wider than regular DIN decks. all the original brackets work however, you just need to find a kit that fills in the gaps like in Sp33dy's picture

i opted for separate units because i dont have that much money to spend on in-car entertainment stuff. the innovatek brand is pretty much generic branded stuff, so if the dvd player ever crapped out, i can replace just that for pretty cheap. the 7" screen is a relabelled panasonic unit, and is pretty good quality. all in one units cost probably 2-3 times what i paid for this deck/screen combo. i did the install at home, and the good news is that this uses the same readily available Toyota harness adapter as probably 50 other vehicles, so piece of cake :)

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j81/ron_ufo/DSCF0514.jpg

plushDJ
04-24-2006, 07:01 PM
NICE!!! I think I could get used to the gaps with a screen like that :cool:

as400g33k
04-25-2006, 08:49 PM
You'd need fillers on the sides, like this:

http://www.pixelstreak.com/echo/toyota_ears.jpg

This one from a guy who changed the HU of his Echo. Full story here (http://www.oztoyota.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2580).

mygrnthmb
04-28-2006, 10:47 PM
How hard is it to change the rear speakers in the 3 door liftback?

echo_hrs
04-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Just caved and replaced on my silver deck in my RS, installed a piano black Clarion unit to match the piano black stack, with amber illumination to match my speedo cluster, and HVAC controls...The unit's colour is customizeable to any hue...

A standard Echo stereo install kit fits perfectly in there...

Also ran the iPod input to the lower dash...

Pics to come...

echo_hrs
04-29-2006, 03:45 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/echo_hrs2/d1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/echo_hrs2/d2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/echo_hrs2/d3.jpg

Much better than this:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/echo_hrs4/3.jpg
Cheers

Leenis24
05-26-2006, 03:12 PM
that looks really good man. Im doing mine when i get it, should have my car in a week. So you used an Echo dash kit? What year Echo? And did the wireing harness from the car fit perfectly with your Aftermarket HU? Also about the antenna, will i need to get an adapter? Thanks

stuffy
05-26-2006, 03:56 PM
echo_hrs, looks great,
would you be interested in selling your stock deck?
(i'm not into quality that much, but would like the mp3 compatability that the base stock deck doesn't have)

gravylegs
05-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Stuffy,
I could sell you my stock deck. Just took it out last weekend. Im in Toronto if you are interested.

mojoyaris
02-27-2010, 11:29 PM
I wonder if Freddie at SR still has some for the Yaris.

Slick
02-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Holy dusty thread batman!!!

mojoyaris
02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
hahah yeah, I didn't read the date on the thread.