PDA

View Full Version : DIY Oil Change

Bassmonkey
04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
First off I want to say that I am a very proud owner of my very first Toyota as well as my very first brand new car. After much research and time, I came to the conclusion that we really couldn't do better than a Yaris for the fuel eco. and price. I have to say, I absolutely love it.:clap:

That being said, I love to do my own work on my cars and hardly let anyone else touch them. I plan to do the same thing with my Yaris. Since I have never changed the oil on a Toyota, my only real question is the Oil Filter. I am wondering if anyone recommends a specific Oil Filter and where I can get one? Do I need to or can I purchase them at the dealer? I know with my last car (Ford Contour :barf:) the Motorcraft filters seemed to work much better for it. Just wondering if that is the same for Toyota. Just for grins I hit my local parts store to see if they had it, but they don't even list the car yet.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!!

yariman
04-20-2006, 10:30 PM
A Quaker State QS 4967 is a decent filter. There is nothing special about a "Toyota" filter. It is made by someone else anyway.:thumbsup:

Bassmonkey
04-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks Yariman, sorry for the dumb question. I just kinda freaked out when I went to the parts store an they didn't list my car and couldn't get me a filter. Like I said, I have never owned a brand new car before and thought it was weird to by an oil filter from the dealer. That is what I did yesterday, though. Just bought the filter from the dealer until my local parts store gets the part. I can probably use the part number now as I know the Yaris doesn't have a brand new engine design.

Now the trick is to find a filter wrench that will fit it. It's so small. :biggrin:

Thanks again!! :thumbup:

Frink
04-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I have always done my own oil changes and my Yaris is an absolute treat... the filter is right on the bottom of the motor instead of being tucked up in the middle like my Civic. Makes for a very clean oil change.
I'll bet you can change the oil without even jacking up the car or using ramps.
They do sell smaller Filter wrenches for the small filters.
For the Oil filter, I just bought the one listed for a 2005 Echo.
As for brands, I've always stuck with Fram filters and Castrol oil.

Ron
04-24-2006, 03:25 AM
i always stick with oem filters. they cost maybe $1 more, and if you cut them open, they ARE constructed differently than your cheapo fram/generic filters.

jcove
04-24-2006, 06:52 AM
i always stick with oem filters. they cost maybe $1 more, and if you cut them open, they ARE constructed differently than your cheapo fram/generic filters.

I don't completely agree with you here. Like Yariman said, it's made by someone else. In the automotive industry, the only thing that the OEM's actually do any more is assemble the car, and maybe make some of the larger parts. Most of the time, companies like Magna, and others, actually make the parts for them. I don't know who exactly makes the Toyota filters....yet.... but I know it's made on a line same as anything else. There's a tool change to put a different number and label on the outside and that's it. The fact that it's constructed differently that a Cheapo filter, just means that it's a better filter manufacturer that makes it.

Ron
04-24-2006, 01:04 PM
i know we all like to think of service at the dealership as a ripoff, etc etc. but in this case, its a bit of a misconception. well yes, of course it is made by somebody else and rebranded as their own. a lot of inidividual components of a car are made by a 3rd party, then purchased by toyota to use on their own car. point is, if it can be spec'd as oem equipment, usually, it is more than sufficient for the job. i've read from a few different sources that the fram filters are not as good as oem, and different pieces of heresay from here and there regarding various other aftermarket brands also. sure they all work, but why risk it over 1 dollar saved by not buying an oem filter?

we dont know who makes the oem filters so we cant go out and buy the 'same' filter. if you have a good relationship with your oem parts guy, the filter will cost you the same as an aftermarket one anyways.

Leenis24
04-24-2006, 06:36 PM
I use FRAM. And Castrol motor oil. Nothing else. Im a deep believer in both.

jdgriswald
04-24-2006, 06:56 PM
I use FRAM. And Castrol motor oil. Nothing else. Im a deep believer in both.

If you haven't seen this comparison, maybe you should check it out.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#conclusion

jay
04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Picked up the OEM Toyota filter from the dealer over the wkend, and I happen to have it in front of me...

I don't know much about these things, but here's what I can see. The filter is made in Thailand and has "Denso" marked on it (so it would appear that Denso is the actual manufacturer). The Toyota part# is 90915-YZZF2. There is also a "BT115010-6410" number marked on the filter in smaller print.

Cost for this thing was CAN$7 + $0.60 for the gasket.

AutoTech1
04-27-2006, 05:17 PM
If you haven't seen this comparison, maybe you should check it out.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#conclusion

If you look carefully, some cost more than others, because they are made of better materials... And some of them also feature bypass valves.

Supa Lao
06-13-2006, 01:34 PM
I've always used OEM filter with mobil 1 sythetic. I'll wait til I'm around 15,000 miles before I change to synthetic on the yaris

punch
06-13-2006, 05:23 PM
http://www.denso.com.sg/tpl/pdtlineup_lubricationcomponents.html

yep denso is the maker of oem oil filters...

jutch
10-02-2006, 08:50 AM
A Quaker State QS 4967 is a decent filter. There is nothing special about a "Toyota" filter. It is made by someone else anyway.:thumbsup:

Check this filter pics out from a thread in one of the Scion forums.
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59333

I recently did the first oil change on my yaris and the factory filter was the90915-10003 made by Denso.

I just talked to my local Toyota dealer and they said the Yaris filter they put on is 90915-YZZF2 at $6.49 +tax. Which replaces the 90915-YZZA2.

So to break it down...
90915-10003 -> installed at the factory, not available in aftermarket

90915-YZZA2 -> used in place of the 90915-10003, Could be purchased and/or installed at your local dealer. Not available anymore (atleast by my dealer)

90915-YZZF2 -> price $6.49 +tax. This is what is currently available at the dealer. It is almost exatly the same all the ones before it, except this one comes pre-lubed. Which means you don't have to put oil in it before you install it. YES, it's made by Denso. Yes, the O-ring seal is crimped in to the filter itself. YES, the contruction is definately different than that of your other CHEAPER filters (check the link I provided).

07WYarisRS
10-02-2006, 10:17 AM

Quaker State filters and made by FRAM
and in any tests Fram is usually at the bottom of the pile.

gonzo452001
10-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I have alway used toyota filters in my toyota's the main thing about them is the anti drain back valve keeps the oil from draining back to the oil pan over night makes the engine last longer. you can buy a case of 10 online for a lot less than most dealers

07WYarisRS
10-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I have alway used toyota filters in my toyota's the main thing about them is the anti drain back valve keeps the oil from draining back to the oil pan over night makes the engine last longer. you can buy a case of 10 online for a lot less than most dealers

Every oil filter has an anti drain back valve at least for any car since the 70's

nsmitchell
10-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I suggest a Napa Gold filter, they are made by Wix. http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=FIL&PartNumber=1394&Description=Oil+Filter+(Gold) Yarii take the same filter as the Scion xA and xB take.

Here is a good filter review from a guy that cut up a bunch of filters and examined them. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

Like 07WYarisRS said, Frams are junk. What a shame they have fooled most of the population into believing they are the best. I bet they ARE better than the quick lube "house brand" oil filters that are made of Sprite cans! Scary stuff!

rjp
11-16-2006, 08:48 AM
If you get some spare time, read up on the site 'Bobistheoilguy.com' There's tons of reading there on people who are fanatics on oil & filters. To make a long story short, 99.99% of them agree that Fram is the worst that you can use on your car.

RogueYaris
11-18-2006, 04:32 AM
I'm not sure why other's didn't go with this deal but I went ahead and bought the Oil for Life deal. Oil's just going to go up in price so I figure it's going to pay for itself in the long run.

Just a tip for those new to changing their own oil, stock up on supplies before hand like a couple drain plugs and drain plug seals so that you're not SOL if one of those happen to be bad.

boris13
11-18-2006, 08:34 AM
It will be Red Line oil and K&N oil filters for me.

tomjasz
11-18-2006, 09:36 AM
http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/id13.html
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

tomjasz
11-18-2006, 09:38 AM
http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/id13.html
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

And the Winner is…..

I was a little surprised by the results. With cost considered, the Motorcraft FL-820S was the highest rated filter, but not by much. Here are the results:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cewhite3nc/id3.html:thumbup:

the_saint
11-18-2006, 09:40 AM
^^"Page Not Found" :thumbdown:

tomjasz
11-18-2006, 09:42 AM
I buy them by the case from our sponsors and mine are marked Denso which is made in Japan. It seems for awhile they were purolator. Links I posted show Denso as a good quality filter manufacturer.

Black Yaris
11-18-2006, 08:11 PM
I just use a good old champ filter.... from reading these filter rating links Champ (or Champion) is one of the better filters on the market for the price

Dremor
11-25-2006, 01:47 AM
I use Fram filter (The gray one) and Valvoline Max Life Oil.

07WYarisRS
11-25-2006, 09:15 AM
I use Fram filter (The gray one) and Valvoline Max Life Oil.

well i guess if you drive a $2 car use a $2 oil and filter

Dremor
11-25-2006, 10:28 AM
well i guess if you drive a $2 car use a $2 oil and filter
:rolleyes: I want the best for mt bb. :thumbsup:

07WYarisRS
11-25-2006, 01:00 PM
:rolleyes: I want the best for mt bb. :thumbsup:
mt bb ?

Doc Zaius
11-28-2006, 06:34 PM
on my last (and only) car, i always used quaker state oil & fram "double guard" filters.. never had any problems with the engine in 6 years, and it ran strong right to the junkyard. i figured i'd just continue as i've had good luck. but after reading all this, i'm now nervous to be using fram filters. the ones i get are about double the price of the "regular" filters. hmmmmm... unsure.

Dremor
11-29-2006, 10:08 AM
mt bb ?
Sorry I mean: My Baby :biggrin:

acrbill
11-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Here is some useful advice. If you choose to do your own oil change, make sure you keep all the receipts from the oil and filter purchase. If something happens to your engine Toyota will probably ask for all of your service records before they warranty the work.

On a side note, isn't there some sort of service light that needs to be reset? I thought I read that in the manual. Any idea how you reset that light?

autophile
12-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I think the Denso part number for the Yaris filter is 150-1012, or 150-1000 -- doesn't seem to be any difference between the two. They are available online for US$5.82 each.

Can anyone confirm that this is the right part number?

Thanks,

--Rob

autophile
12-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Okay, well, the 150-1012 doesn't look like the filter on my car right now. 150-1012 seems to be a bit shorter and fatter. So much for using a 2005 Echo filter.

Tamago
12-14-2006, 02:43 PM
i would not use the fram filter if my life depended on it.

buy your toyota filters online like i do, from partznet.com

they're currently $21 for a six pack..

better price than a fram and way better filter!

hystria
12-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Talking about the Mobil 1, usually there could be found two Mobil 1 type of oil. Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Only the last one is meant for extended oil intervals :smile:

here's a link about it: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx

"G"
02-15-2007, 09:10 PM

???? Are you kidding ? Denso makes toyota filters. They are a japanese company that makes filters for honda, mitsubishi, etc.... Denso makes some of the best parts in the world.

dansides
02-15-2007, 10:16 PM
at the toyota dealer here at the parts counter there is a cut a way of a toyota an a fram oil filter the toyota has more material inside of it .also states the micron sizes it captures much smsller than fram:burnrubber: :burnrubber:

sambo42xa
02-16-2007, 02:18 PM
..again with the oil and filter question? :confused:
...and NO, it was not a dumb question that was asked! That's what this forum is all about...helping each other with experiences they have had with their vehicles or whatever it may be. But as a suggestion......if you go to "search" and put in oil or filter it will give you a shit load of answers to your question regarding which is the best; which one; how much; toyota recomends, etc., in case you didn't know. :thumbsup:
Please, don't get me wrong if I sound like an asshole (even though my Wife says I am :bellyroll: ), but is it me or do I see the same threads repeated over and over??? The suggestion was only for in case the person/s didn't know.
..here's one, hey, what kind of gas mileage do you get on your Yaris?
Ok, come on and rag on me...................................:redface:
Oh yeh, FRAM filters do suck/bottom of the pile as many of persons have said.

sambo42xa
Southern, NH

....forget what I said.....it's Friday so go have drink when you get out of work and enjoy the weekend.....:drinking:

sambo42xa
02-16-2007, 02:21 PM
...OH, and congrad's. bassmonkey on your new ride! :thumbsup:

sambo42xa
Southern, NH

Go4th
02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Here is an oil filter study... It was done about 2003... So take it for what its worth.. Probally nothing now since things should be better in 3 yrs time....
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

"G"
02-19-2007, 08:37 PM
^ That was a waste of time, since he did not even test denso.