elijahsami
08-07-2010, 11:35 AM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-yaris-2012.html

FSANE
08-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I hope not. I like the current HB look better. my .02

eTiMaGo
08-07-2010, 01:33 PM
er... sedan front on a hatchback body? odd!

severous01
08-07-2010, 03:29 PM
yuk...looks like the last honda civic si model. yuk...maybe that's why they and subaru are stepping away from that look and moving back to sedans. hideous.

oh well...i'm in mine till it dies...

JumpmanYaris
08-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Wierd....

tomato
08-07-2010, 05:16 PM
er... sedan front on a hatchback body? odd!

+1

Despite that little detail, the style is still more appealing to me than the Fit's.

I demand a test drive, though... :biggrin::biggrin:

shinlee
08-07-2010, 05:48 PM
guys, i'm willing to bet this is just a nasty photoshop... those angles just don't seem to fit right to me.

YAR1S
08-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Looks like a photoshop, the back end is almost on the tire and no one is in the back!

Looks like the sedan and hatchback got together and made a baby.

Kal-El
08-07-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm surprised some are convinced by this. It's just a Photo-shop (apparently done by a first grader judging by the awful quality). Look again, the hatch area is done with the blurry spray paint tool. Plus, why would the second gen be exactly the same design as the 5 year old model it's replacing?

:rolleyes:

MadMax
08-07-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't think it's Photoshop'd, it is not uncommon for cars under development to look like this. We used to see them around Stuttgart all the time. The also add body parts/panels to disguise the actual shape of the car, so that hideous hump on the back may not make the production model.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the new Yaris, it resembles the current car pretty closely and it never made much sense to have such differences in the common areas of the sedan and hatchback. It lowers production costs to have one nose that fits on both models, but unfortunately it appears they chose the wrong one (I prefer the hatch's grill).

Of course the final car will differ from this test version, but I won't be surprised if some of the changes you see on it show up when the model is updated...

Cheers! M2

cali yaris
08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
I have to say that does look photoshopped:

http://photos.leftlanenews.com/photos/content/march2010/thumbnailsnew/toyota-yaris-spy-6_620.jpg

eTiMaGo
08-07-2010, 11:58 PM
I dunno... the reflections, window transparency, if it's photoshop, it's one heck of a skilled user...

I'm thinking this monstrosity is more likely to be some kind of unique model destined to some different market like India or China. Or like Mad Max said, more of a temporary use of Yaris bodyparts to hide the real new car inside. but the main body does seem much larger, like an Auris :iono:

djct_watt
08-08-2010, 01:56 AM
If it is a real pic, it's not a sedan front of a hatchback body. Look closely. . . It's a hatchback tail pasted onto a sedan body.

cali yaris
08-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Actually it's yaris + auris

As we can see on this strange mule, put together with parts from both Yaris and Auris,

eTiMaGo
08-08-2010, 02:49 AM
*lightbulb*

HAHAHAHA yes, I believe you are right!!!!

how did I not see this, I photoshopped the same thing some time back :p

djct_watt
08-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Actually it's yaris + auris

No way, it's Yaris sedan plus hatch. . . here's why:

1. Take a look at the A pillar and lack of the extra window in the door. That's Yaris sedan 100%, as is the rear door window seperation.

2. The side-view mirrors on the Auris are attached to the door body with a vertical arm, a la Lexus IS250/350, rather than mounted right behind the A pillar with a horizontal mount, like the Yaris Sedan.

3. The Auris is a RHD model, and the wipers would be facing the other direction. This is clearly a LHD model with the orientation of the wipers.

4. If it were the Auris, it's missing the door kink on the rear door.

5. The Auris does not have the engine bay vents on the wiper cowl. The ones on the picture perfectly match those of a Yaris Sedan.

6. The Auris chassis uses a 5 lug wheel. . . the image clearly shows 4 lug, like the current Yaris chassis.

djct_watt
08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Some photos for reference:
http://www.mibz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/toyota-auris-new.jpg
http://gado2net.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/toyota-auris.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Toyota_Yaris_sedan.jpg

It is unequivocally a Yaris sedan with a hatch pasted to the back. And it really looks photoshopped. . .

djct_watt
08-08-2010, 10:34 AM
And if this somehow is NOT a photoshopped picture, it probably implies a slightly revised Yaris hatch. . . I'm guessing that camo based on the existing Yaris hatch is too short, and it needed the extra length of the sedan to fully cover the car. This would be inline with moving the car's dimensions more in line with the Fit/Jazz (eeewwww).

Kal-El
08-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Either way, the 2012 Yaris line will be all new. Not simply a facelift.
I'm expecting it to be more evolutionary than revolutionary this time around since this generation was such a leap from the Echo. But it will still be entirely new including a new engine and especially transmission (6 speed needed to compete with Fiesta and other upcoming models). Toyota MUST reclaim the title of the highest non-hybrid/micro-car MPG rating in the sub-compact class. That means a 41 MPG highway target. A tall 6th gear could easily do that even with no other changes.

slothman86
08-08-2010, 04:58 PM
That's great! Just like the photoshop I did that one time! looks like someone glued the back of the hatch on!

ERA
08-08-2010, 05:22 PM
kind of cool looking

ERA
08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3263/toyotayarisspy5620.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3036/yarisnew.png

tweaked it up a little.

junorico24
08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Yep, the Yaris evolution.It has a bigger boot (trunk) longer and wider.Toyota staying ahead of the competition.

*MAD DOG*
08-09-2010, 03:19 AM
I don't like how the roof ends up like that in the back (see red section).

However ride height seems much improved (see yellow section)

To me the thing doesn't look right.

tomato
08-09-2010, 03:47 AM
^ that does look like a photoshop now that you mention it. You're right something is a bit off. I guess we'll find out soon enough :biggrin:

djct_watt
08-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Well keep in mind that if it is a real pic, this is definitely a test mule; so the real thing probably will look nothing like it.

djct_watt
08-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Man. . . I still can't see where people are seeing Auris parts in this car. . .
It's identical to the sedan in every way except for the C pillar back, where it has a hatch rear end slapped on.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3263/toyotayarisspy5620.jpg
http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/2009-toyota-yaris-sedan-side-picture-588x441.jpg
http://cdn.getauto.com/photos/4/14664/1c/JTDKT4K39A5280729-1c.jpg

eTiMaGo
08-09-2010, 04:35 AM
djct_watt, sorry my earlier reply was not clear, I 100% agree with you, and I think this quick and dirty animation will help demonstrate :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/691356/Car%20Stuff/yarismorph.gif

eTiMaGo
08-09-2010, 04:38 AM
I don't like how the roof ends up like that in the back (see red section).

However ride height seems much improved (see yellow section)

To me the thing doesn't look right.

The roof lines on the sedan and hatch are quite different, the sedan starts sloping back earlier white the hatch stays pretty much level. So, for this test car, they obviously slapped a hatch rear end on a sedan body and had to "connect the dots", so to speak!

It certainly does not look right, some Frankensteinian creation, which (hopefully) has nothing to do with how the next-gen Yaris will look like :laugh:

djct_watt
08-09-2010, 05:41 AM
^ thanks. And great point about the "connecting the dots." I didn't think about that. At first I thought it was under some kind of suspension testing and was being weighed down. But taking a look at how they line up, your point makes perfect sense.

If this is a real pic, we can guess that
1. Slightly larger cargo area (the biggest complaint about the Yaris)
2. Wheelbase similar to that of the sedan
3. Width close to current dimensions
4. Engine size not likely to be larger than 1.8L for high spec'd models
5. The 1NZ better damn be updated, it's an engine that's not aging gracefully

slothman86
08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
djct_watt, sorry my earlier reply was not clear, I 100% agree with you, and I think this quick and dirty animation will help demonstrate :)

Nice work! I think this proves that someone just welded the lb back on a sedan... There are even what appears to be seams!

djct_watt
08-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes... If it's not a Photoshop, it still
Must be a test mule. The weird cut to the hood suggest something going on in the engine bay.

eTiMaGo
08-09-2010, 03:21 PM
we should also analyse the pictures to try and figure out where these pics were taken, as this might prove to be an extra clue as to the purpose of this vehicle. It's definitely in Europe from the other cars and their license plates, I would even say France, as the "Eskimo" brand of ice cream is rather well known, though I am not sure if it is sold in other european countries. And knowing there is a Toyota manufacturing plant in France that produces the Yaris (but AFAIK not the sedan), it is quite possible that Toyota is taking the cheap route to make an 'all-new' European Yaris by using the sedan as a base. But who, knows, really, that's my conspiracy theory :laugh:

slothman86
08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
we should also analyse the pictures to try and figure out where these pics were taken, as this might prove to be an extra clue as to the purpose of this vehicle. It's definitely in Europe from the other cars and their license plates, I would even say France, as the "Eskimo" brand of ice cream is rather well known, though I am not sure if it is sold in other european countries. And knowing there is a Toyota manufacturing plant in France that produces the Yaris (but AFAIK not the sedan), it is quite possible that Toyota is taking the cheap route to make an 'all-new' European Yaris by using the sedan as a base. But who, knows, really, that's my conspiracy theory :laugh:

It has a strange light blue plate other cars in the pics show European plates.

What is this mystery plate!?

tomato
08-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I don't know about France. This could be anywhere in Europe, in fact the shape of the plates is definitely European, but Eskimo is probably distributed all over Europe. :iono:

Some of the comments (and the thumbs up on them) on that website are nauseating, btw. I just don't get people who hate cars that much :iono:

BluYrs
08-10-2010, 02:16 AM
Obviously an early test mule, so nothing can be concluded as to the looks of the new Yaris.

However, it looks like it's hauling something heavy and there has been talk of a hybrid Yaris (maybe even fully electric?)...

Jochen
08-10-2010, 03:14 AM

I think it's the Czech Republic because:
1. Eskimo is the brandname they use in the czech republic, slovenia, croatia and austria (it's "ola" in belgium and it appears to be "miko" in france)
2. I found out they use light blue license plates in some cases (but it was with yellow characters then...)
3. Since 2005 they also have a toyota factory where they make the aygo

eTiMaGo
08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
haha I stand corrected then, I'm not even French anymore after the world cup... Can I be Belgian please?

Stove
08-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a test car at all and that it's actually a sedan that was rear ended and the owner got creative with a hatch rear end.

Jochen
08-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Can I be Belgian please?

Yes, you can.

But do you really want that? :laugh:

Anyway, on topic: I don't really understand why they would make the yaris bigger? If you want a bigger yaris, you buy an auris.

Kal-El
08-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Yes, you can.

But do you really want that? :laugh:

Anyway, on topic: I don't really understand why they would make the yaris bigger? If you want a bigger yaris, you buy an auris.

Which isn't available in America. Corolla is the next size up. But I agree, Toyota please don't make the Yaris bigger except maybe an inch wider. I'm confident they won't grow it though.

DandiDani
08-11-2010, 07:37 PM
:barf:it is ugly.

eTiMaGo
08-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Which isn't available in America. Corolla is the next size up. But I agree, Toyota please don't make the Yaris bigger except maybe an inch wider. I'm confident they won't grow it though.

heh, look at the xB... either they repeat that mistake or they learn from it, hopefully the latter...

swidd
08-13-2010, 02:28 PM
That rear looks like a funeral vehicle.

CtrlAltDefeat
08-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Looks like someone pasted the front and rear of a hatch onto a sedan. It's god awful looking...

Astroman
08-20-2010, 05:59 PM
It's a mule test vehicle is why it looks so bad. They're testing brakes and other stuff that goes under sheet metal n plastic.

Red Horse
08-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Its photoshop

CtrlAltDefeat
08-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Its photoshop

if its shopped, then they did it 7 times, looking at all the pics on the site...

djct_watt
08-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, most the amount of BS on the interwebs makes me paranoid of shops, but it's gotta be real!

Astroman
08-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Hm it almost looks like they chopped the back of a sedan off and put the back end of a hatch on there from the roofline.

Really it would be nice if toyota came out with a true sport version, something with some boost, tuning, and a sweet suspension.

eTiMaGo
08-21-2010, 11:27 PM

for those who missed it...

Kal-El
09-05-2010, 09:08 AM
With all the recent speculation, here it is officially. You can see it receiving some of the latest Toyota themed front end shapes. However, based on these pics, I'm not too excited about the boxier rest of the car. Unfortunately, the cabin shape and rear pillar reminds me of the Versa. We'll have to wait for the complete unmasking for full judging.

Kal-El
09-05-2010, 09:09 AM

tk-421
09-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with the Versa-ish comment. I personally don't care for it too much so far.
Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

ryota
09-05-2010, 02:29 PM
personally I'm glad i got the 2008 when I did. there are a couple modifications to the 2009+ that i don't really care for. IMO 08's are the better looking ones. This one does seem too much like the Versa for my taste.

slothman86
09-05-2010, 04:10 PM
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50785/2012-toyota-yaris-spied-testing

here too

does anyone wanna photoshop to see how it would really look?

tk-421
09-05-2010, 04:23 PM
personally I'm glad i got the 2008 when I did. there are a couple modifications to the 2009+ that i don't really care for.
Couldn't agree with you more. :clap:
The proper Yaris design peaked on the 07-08 models. Everything they've attempted after that has been pretty disappointing.

Kal-El
09-05-2010, 04:29 PM
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50785/2012-toyota-yaris-spied-testing

here too

Thanks for the added article.

Here's a shot of the interior. It's a good look at the steering wheel but then again that could easily be borrowed from another model. The critical areas are inconveniently covered up. I was hoping to make out whether or not the next Yaris will again have center gauges. This image hints at the possibility that it will receive traditional behind the wheel gauges. This kind of needs to happen if Toyota is serious about the Yaris's sales. I've read thousands of small car reviews of buyers (outside of YarisWorld) who said they didn't buy the Yaris strictly because of it having center gauges. Sad, but true.

tk-421
09-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Center gauges are one of the features that sets the Yaris apart IMO. It was one of the reasons why I bought it.
Having center gauges also makes the car cheaper to build, so unless they figured out a way to cut costs elsewhere (or are planning to make the car more expensive), I doubt they'll be removing that feature.

Kal-El
09-05-2010, 04:34 PM
It's sad to say, but based on the pics, this won't be able to compete with the then 4 year old Fiesta (remember it's already been on sale outside of the US for 2 years).

The back, especially with what can be made out from the taillights, looks like a 5 year old Chevy Aveo. Aside from the front, it really looks like a step back from the current one.

:iono:

Kal-El
09-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Center gauges are one of the features that sets the Yaris apart IMO. It was one of the reasons why I bought it.
Having center gauges also makes the car cheaper to build, so unless they figured out a way to cut costs elsewhere (or are planning to make the car more expensive), I doubt they'll be removing that feature.

Every other company puts traditional gauges in and doesn't have to charge more for them. The Accent and Versa has them and were offered as low as $9,995 sticker price. Thousands less than a stripped Yaris.

Don't get me wrong, I too like the center gauges no more or less than behind the wheel. Thing is, it does in fact turn many people away from the Yaris. Too many. It's not worth saving whatever they save but then lose say 30% in potential sales.

tk-421
09-05-2010, 04:51 PM
That's a good point. It would be kind of sad to see that feature go regardless. Then again, the sooner they do away with it, the more unique my car will be in a few years, so there's definitely a silver lining there somewhere. :wink:

sickpuppy1
09-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the added article.

Here's a shot of the interior. It's a good look at the steering wheel but then again that could easily be borrowed from another model. The critical areas are inconveniently covered up. I was hoping to make out whether or not the next Yaris will again have center gauges. This image hints at the possibility that it will receive traditional behind the wheel gauges. This kind of needs to happen if Toyota is serious about the Yaris's sales. I've read thousands of small car reviews of buyers (outside of YarisWorld) who said they didn't buy the Yaris strictly because of it having center gauges. Sad, but true.

I'm gonna disagree on the guages.May be wrong, but see the area on the right side of the pic? It's cut out so the driver can see his guages. Could the hump on the right of the wheel be for an additional cupholder? hmmm Just speculation at this point, for sure. Also, notice the steering wheel audio control's? As stated, it could be from another car,but why would they?

auxmike
09-05-2010, 05:28 PM
I say in that pic the driver's glove box is open.
Also you can see the duct tape in the middle top of the dash and green cellophane covering the center mounted guages.....

why?
09-05-2010, 06:46 PM
That car could be any 4 door hatchback at this point. And even if it is the Yaris, who knows what could change in the future. They've done such a thorough tape job who knows what the car really looks like.

Kal-El
09-05-2010, 07:23 PM
That car could be any 4 door hatchback at this point. And even if it is the Yaris, who knows what could change in the future. They've done such a thorough tape job who knows what the car really looks like.

Problem is, is that the overall shape of the car, cabin, pillars, ect. are clearly cut and dry regardless of masking. Those details are what we are scratching our heads over because they are very disappointing shapes.

thebarber
09-05-2010, 10:33 PM
looks like itll be what we have now but with a new front/rear (again)

whoopee-doo!

Kal-El
09-05-2010, 10:49 PM
looks like itll be what we have now but with a new front/rear (again)

whoopee-doo!

You looking at the right pics? There's not one shared element. The whole cab is shaped differently. The rear pillar even faces a different direction. The belt-line is straighter and lower (unfortunately). The glass is larger. It's wider. And on and on...

The car is all new.

djct_watt
09-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Seems to share a lot in common with the 2011 Toyota Verso. . .
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Toyota-Verso-S-2011-first-official-pictures/
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TH1bJ9nO8OI/AAAAAAAATXE/cA1TizfhLPg/s1600/01.jpg

What's up with the new single wiper designs coming up? Is this a cost cutting feature?

kustom play
09-06-2010, 01:05 AM
looks somewhat like an XD

not feeling this redesign

djct_watt
09-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Also the steering wheel and interior layout seems to also mirror the Toyota Verso (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm not talking about the Nissan Versa but the Toyota Corolla Verso).

krolos
09-06-2010, 09:14 AM
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Toyota-Verso-S-2011-first-official-pictures/
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TH1bJ9nO8OI/AAAAAAAATXE/cA1TizfhLPg/s1600/01.jpg

What's up with the new single wiper designs coming up? Is this a cost cutting feature?

That gots lots practical use able space, only Europe gets the really cool,
practical cars , not fair.

eTiMaGo
09-06-2010, 09:28 AM
then I'll be the odd one out and say I'm kinda liking it so far, but will reserve final judgement until we see the actual thing.

djct_watt
09-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Man. . . I'm not sure which 2012 Yaris thread to put this in since there are a ton of 'em. . . but here are more pics:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TIu7sBSojGI/AAAAAAAATc0/lq7mxJmc9xM/s400/001.jpgp
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TIu7ruPte4I/AAAAAAAATcs/JRZb0k0J_uo/s400/002.jpg

djct_watt
10-02-2010, 01:44 PM
More images/renderings:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKYftySsADI/AAAAAAAATnI/9fRLLsDIyXg/s400/001.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKYftqmnfLI/AAAAAAAATnA/xn5hXXRFABc/s400/002.jpg

From http://www.burlappcars.com/

detroiter
10-02-2010, 01:53 PM
That's a really nice Toyota Versa!

Really though, I'm sure it'll be nice but it better pack a punch in the engine bay. The yaris is starting to get out performed. Many magazines don't even include it anymore when doing compact car comparisons.

I do like how the wheels are finally flush with the wheel well lips, that's how all cars should come. It's too bad the current Yaris doesn't come flush like this new one.

Kal-El
10-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Interesting renderings but as usual, not entirely accurate.

Unfortunately, the Versa rear pillar "kink" is accurate based on the real spy shots. But notice the eyelids on the headlights? The real shape can be seen which are higher profile. Plus, do they expect us to believe the Yaris will have dual center exhaust? Come on. Also, the whole front bumper seems overly exaggerated in an aggressive sense. It's nice looking, but Toyota would never sell it like that. Even Scion is more conservative.

vwtech
10-03-2010, 12:44 AM
did anyone notice the single wiper I don't think I'd like that at all. I'd like to see the 2 door version though not really a fan of 4 door hatches.

djct_watt
10-03-2010, 01:02 AM
did anyone notice the single wiper I don't think I'd like that at all. I'd like to see the 2 door version though not really a fan of 4 door hatches.

Yes

djct_watt
10-04-2010, 12:14 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKjtqVt59YI/AAAAAAAATqI/Pc0IW1_GYMg/s1600/1.jpg

Kal-El
10-04-2010, 11:55 AM
That looks pretty official. Any other pics available?

I'm dying to see the sedan too.

derickveliz2
10-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Looks like a Honda Fit with Toyota Logo LOL :thumbsup:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7gMLBklxxA1Olvsd47yRCEhIffxl_5 5_7BIl-6XHXCA30GjM&t=1&usg=__Nf4FECiTUROA8c1cHbN2as9nq8o=

CTScott
10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Here are some pics from another proto shot in Europe in August. This one literally looks like a sedan with the trunk chopped and a hatch stuck on in its place.

http://www.justcar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/2012-Toyota-Yaris.jpg

http://www.justcar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/new-2012-Yaris.jpg

http://www.justcar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/next-2012-Toyota-Yaris.jpg

http://www.justcar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Toyota-Yaris-2012.jpg

http://www.justcar.org/2012-toyota-yaris-spotted-in-europe.php

Kal-El
10-04-2010, 01:22 PM
^ As discussed at length in other threads, it's obviously just a test mule. The new Yaris will be ALL new as the most recent pics in this thread shows.

CTScott
10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
^ As discussed at length in other threads, it's obviously just a test mule. The new Yaris will be ALL new as the most recent pics in this thread shows.

Oops - Totally missed the other discussions. I just read the article on leftlanenews, and I see the mention of new sheet metal vs. mock-up using existing parts, so that makes sense. The white one seemed plausible to me, as it seems like using more of the same parts for liftback and sedan would make good financial sense...

djct_watt
10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
A few more pics, courtesy of burlapp cars:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKoQsm1ej5I/AAAAAAAATrA/TGLuXtxShxA/s400/001.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKoQsGa72hI/AAAAAAAATq4/13WMYY96_1k/s400/002.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKoQrhyDtGI/AAAAAAAATqw/MJ2IvMDBWA4/s400/003.jpg

djct_watt
10-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Quick comments. . . I'm not a fan of the new dash. . . but the non-centered dash will shut up a lot of critics. . . IMO, I love the center instrument panel.

I also hate how the window controls are flat and completely horizontal. The current hatch design that swoops up allows wider knee room, but with that panel in the way, it definitely narrows leg room. It looks like they also removed the fifty billion glove box/cubby design. . . a shame since I use every pocket and storage area. Also looks like the dash cupholders are gone too. Missing as well are the vertically stacked HVAC controls, a very cool design IMO in the hatch. It has a minivan style dash protrusion, which is a common trend in new cars and something I absolutely LOATHE.

CTScott
10-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Quick comments. . . I'm not a fan of the new dash. . . but the non-centered dash will shut up a lot of critics. . . IMO, I love the center instrument panel.

I also hate how the window controls are flat and completely horizontal. The current hatch design that swoops up allows wider knee room, but with that panel in the way, it definitely narrows leg room. It looks like they also removed the fifty billion glove box/cubby design. . . a shame since I use every pocket and storage area. Also looks like the dash cupholders are gone too. Missing as well are the vertically stacked HVAC controls, a very cool design IMO in the hatch. It has a minivan style dash protrusion, which is a common trend in new cars and something I absolutely LOATHE.

That is kind of ugly in my opinion as well. They could have at least made it like the 2012 Yaris Verso (which we'll never see on this side of world):

Kal-El
10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks djct watt. :thumbsup:

I think we basically have our official pics.:smile:

KCALB SIRAY
10-04-2010, 05:40 PM
There is a lot of tape and cardboard there but overall, I'm diggin the shape. Only thing I have a concern about is the blind spots in the rear pillars/door. a bit too wide for my tastes. Also the lines on the door skins most likely won't be there anyways. They don't line up at all, so again, a lot of cardboard and tape here.

tk-421
10-04-2010, 07:44 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKoQsm1ej5I/AAAAAAAATrA/TGLuXtxShxA/s400/001.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKoQsGa72hI/AAAAAAAATq4/13WMYY96_1k/s400/002.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKoQrhyDtGI/AAAAAAAATqw/MJ2IvMDBWA4/s400/003.jpg

Wow I really don't like it at all. :thumbdown:

BluYrs
10-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Interior seems to have a bit more style than the current model.

If by "style" he means "blandness" then yes. I seriously think that the Yaris cannot hold its own against European and Japanese (even Korean) rivals if it does not have any distinguishing features.

You know how reviews always say the current Yaris is boring and how everyone is nagging about the distressing center dials and weird HVAC-layout? Well, I predict reviews of the upcoming new Yaris will say that the car is even more bland than the old one, which at least had some distinguishing figures like the dials and the center console layout :laugh:

firemachine69
10-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Hell... Even the AVEO RS is looking sharper... :laugh:

Kal-El
10-05-2010, 07:17 AM
I kind of think that the new Yaris is going to lose that "cult" appeal that we've seen here on YarisWorld with the current generation model. This new one doesn't even seem to attempt to beat the competition - most notably the Ford Fiesta which has already been out in Europe for over 2 years. Plenty of time for Toyota to push the envelope. Just compare the interiors. No contest. Even the next Chevy Aveo, or whatever it will be called, will most likely be more compelling.

Toyota did the same thing with the current Corolla. They got comfortable and are no longer the leader in that class. They still have the quality, but Ford, Hyundai, Chevy, and others are starting to build better cars.

I really hope the sedan is less disappointing.

teddy
10-05-2010, 07:50 AM

I think these might just be accurate. The outward styling seems to be similar to the style Toyota is moving towards. The grill is making me think of the Camry Hybrid, and from the rear it looks like a smaller Matrix. Just IMO.

chrisj
10-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Looks like the front end is starting to get a little "pointy", and I really don't care for that.

djct_watt
10-05-2010, 12:39 PM
One more
http://www.autoevolution.com/images/news/2012-toyota-yaris-first-photo-25050_1.jpg

chrisj
10-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Is it just me, or did the Yaris go from a friendly smile on the front to a nasty snarl?

Kal-El
10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Is it just me, or did the Yaris go from a friendly smile on the front to a nasty snarl?

Nasty snarl is better. :cool:

Most guys are turned off by a car that is "cute" with a soft smiley face.

Remember though, that the aggressive silver example is only the most sporty model. The standard model is still on the cute side although less so than the current generation.

Twistoffate0817
10-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Toyota just needs to go for it now. The redesigned Yaris faces serious competiton, and if these pictures are the real deal then many will be dissapointed.

djct_watt
10-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Unless you special order the parts, you never see the JDM Moddellista aero packages, outside of Japan.

brg88tx
10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Toyota just needs to go for it now. The redesigned Yaris faces serious competiton, and if these pictures are the real deal then many will be dissapointed.

i agree, they face stiff competition especially from hyundai. imo the new 2011 hyundai's look awesome.

landrym28
10-05-2010, 06:49 PM
One more
http://www.autoevolution.com/images/news/2012-toyota-yaris-first-photo-25050_1.jpg

I actually like this. ALOT more than the pink one up near the top of the page.

tk-421
10-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah that one's definitely better than that red one...

jeikz
10-07-2010, 12:43 AM
gosh why did they have to redesign the yaris hatch to look so plain & conservative! at least the current NCP90/91R models had european flair/quirkiness to stand out amongst the crowd, especially with the distinctive interior, the exterior styling almost looks like this could of been the predecessor to the NCP90x series. I'm not a fan of relocating rear numberplate placement onto the bootlid, just seems to common. On a side note maybe the moderators could change the title to reflect the nature that actual real JDM photos are in here to gauge more public opinion?

BluYrs
10-07-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm not a fan of relocating rear numberplate placement onto the bootlid, just seems to common.
I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Then again, now modifyers can have their cars' bootlid "shaved" and relocate the number themselves :laugh:

chrisj
10-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Nasty snarl is better. :cool:

Most guys are turned off by a car that is "cute" with a soft smiley face.

Remember though, that the aggressive silver example is only the most sporty model. The standard model is still on the cute side although less so than the current generation.

Yeah, every girl who sees our car says it's "cute". A friend of mine saw it for the first time the other day and said, "I could pick that car up with one arm!" He probably could. :/

Kal-El
10-07-2010, 07:29 AM
gosh why did they have to redesign the yaris hatch to look so plain & conservative! at least the current NCP90/91R models had european flair/quirkiness to stand out amongst the crowd, especially with the distinctive interior, the exterior styling almost looks like this could of been the predecessor to the NCP90x series. I'm not a fan of relocating rear numberplate placement onto the bootlid, just seems to common. On a side note maybe the moderators could change the title to reflect the nature that actual real JDM photos are in here to gauge more public opinion?

Oh yeah, I actually hadn't noticed the plate location change. Personally, I don't mind either way. I think it's just an effort to visually break up the wide open space on the hatch.

done :thumbsup:

Thanks! :smile:

scape
10-10-2010, 11:14 AM
seems like a cheap mashup. im guessing they are trying to tie it closer with the matrix?

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2010/matrix/gallery/full/2010-Matrix-7.jpg

it almost has that ridiculous front fascia aggressive styling from some of the honda fit's i see.
but the versa looking hatch is killing me. :|

If I had two cents to give toyota on the next yaris hatch, I'd want the roofline to be more similar to the sedan, much flatter, lower profile: so I could fit a decent carry-all rack on top for kayaks or bags for when traveling. the roof is rather useless and I don't trust the current thule kits for it. as well i think that would improve drag and hopefully bring it closer to a prius' CD by pulling down the windshield to a more drastic angle. as well the rear pillars are simply too wide for my tastes, and seem unsafe at times.
well those things... and more power :D even like 5hp would be a vast improvement i feel

advocate
10-10-2010, 02:25 PM
That's a good point. It would be kind of sad to see that feature go regardless. Then again, the sooner they do away with it, the more unique my car will be in a few years, so there's definitely a silver lining there somewhere. :wink:

Don't forget all the people who bought echos :P

wooverstone8
10-10-2010, 07:59 PM
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2012-toyota-yaris-first-photo-25050.html

KrazyDawg
10-13-2010, 04:55 PM
personally I'm glad i got the 2008 when I did. there are a couple modifications to the 2009+ that i don't really care for. IMO 08's are the better looking ones. This one does seem too much like the Versa for my taste.
What's the difference between the 2008 and 2009 models? I think the 2009 models come standard with more safety featuers such as side air bags and ESC? Do they physically look different?

VitzBoy
10-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Scan of 2012 Toyota Yaris hatch, a concept version of which is expected to debut at the 2011 NAIAS in Detroit in January.

landrym28
10-13-2010, 06:11 PM
What's the difference between the 2008 and 2009 models? I think the 2009 models come standard with more safety featuers such as side air bags and ESC? Do they physically look different?

Different shaped Headlights and taillights I think. Design of the taillights are different as well. I'm sure there's probably others too.

Betrivent
10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Looks decent.. I wonder if they would let me trade in..

kimona
10-13-2010, 07:13 PM
I think it's looking more like the Matrix... which I dislike.

bronsin
10-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Too much sculpting. Too "busy".

CombatModel
10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
More pictures here (http://jp-cardesigncorner.blogspot.com/2010/10/leaked-images-showing-new-2011-vitz.html)

why?
10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't like it, our current version is better.

Oh, and hey Vitzboy, what have you been up to?

Thirty-Nine
10-13-2010, 11:39 PM
I like.

hyprmiler
10-13-2010, 11:52 PM
what... no sedan pictures?

hyprmiler
10-13-2010, 11:57 PM
standard safety features, removal of the S trim option, standardization of a tachometer, and different gauges.

please correct me if I'm wrong...

djct_watt
10-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Different front/rear bumpers. The area in the rear by the tail light is more concave to line up with the newer tail light design. The bumper will not line up with older headlights and vice versa. . . same applies to the front end.

BluYrs
10-14-2010, 02:45 AM
*cough* 3rd generation of Yaris *cough*

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
10-14-2010, 09:25 AM
still got the 4-LUG wheels :thumbdown:

Kioshi
10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Bring the RS version here, and I'll trade my car in a heart beat.
I dont like the stock version, it looks too boring, a few Matrix que shapes in the front and rear near headlights/tailights and bumper....

At least no more center gauge cluster~

sqcomp
10-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I love that center cluster...it's great for an even, uncomplicated dash.

Astroman
10-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah I really like my center cluster, the RS version looks nice, but the regular one looks like :barf:

Kioshi
10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
maybe its because i ended up in three other Toyota cars and had to stare at the center gauge cluster for a long period of time....:laugh:

why?
10-14-2010, 03:27 PM
*cough* 3rd generation of Yaris *cough*

2nd gen in the USA.

marcus
10-14-2010, 04:06 PM
weird....

fnkngrv
10-14-2010, 04:16 PM

They would show it as the Vios or Belta before they would show it as the Yaris Sedan. Personally I think that they need to do like what they have overseas and just call the sedan the Vios here.

A1phazu1u
10-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Here are some pics from another proto shot in Europe in August. This one literally looks like a sedan with the trunk chopped and a hatch stuck on in its place.

http://www.justcar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/2012-Toyota-Yaris.jpg

http://www.justcar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/new-2012-Yaris.jpg

http://www.justcar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/next-2012-Toyota-Yaris.jpg

http://www.justcar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Toyota-Yaris-2012.jpg

http://www.justcar.org/2012-toyota-yaris-spotted-in-europe.php

This looks like a sedan with a hatch instead of a trunk. Ugly...though if you ask me

Kal-El
10-14-2010, 05:24 PM

The sadan is still under wraps. No one outside of Toyota has seen it.

jcemitte
10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
LOOKS LIKE A F*ED UP FIT

brg88tx
10-14-2010, 06:39 PM
seems like a cheap mashup. im guessing they are trying to tie it closer with the matrix?

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2010/matrix/gallery/full/2010-Matrix-7.jpg

it almost has that ridiculous front fascia aggressive styling from some of the honda fit's i see.
but the versa looking hatch is killing me. :|

If I had two cents to give toyota on the next yaris hatch, I'd want the roofline to be more similar to the sedan, much flatter, lower profile: so I could fit a decent carry-all rack on top for kayaks or bags for when traveling. the roof is rather useless and I don't trust the current thule kits for it. as well i think that would improve drag and hopefully bring it closer to a prius' CD by pulling down the windshield to a more drastic angle. as well the rear pillars are simply too wide for my tastes, and seem unsafe at times.
well those things... and more power :D even like 5hp would be a vast improvement i feel

toyota is making the headlights and tail lights stick out beyond the body panels on all their new models. weird imo.

Black Yaris
10-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Looks like there is going to be a Hybrid option for the Yaris as well

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/09/toyota-and-lexus-to-debut-six-new.html

Astroman
10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
What they need to do is release a AWD version. I know a lot of people who would get one if they offered AWD. Oh, and turbo.

Black Yaris
10-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Like the Juke? :) If Toyota had a awd turbo sportcross @ $20k, I would snag it up in a heartbeat. But it appears I am going over to Nissan. I am going to be smart this time (as I bought the first Yaris in Toledo) and wait till they have been out a while (6mo to a year) and the cost will come down

why?
10-14-2010, 11:15 PM
What they need to do is release a AWD version. I know a lot of people who would get one if they offered AWD. Oh, and turbo.

An awd turbo yaris might make me try and put my car together enough to swap.

Or maybe to see how much it would cost to switch the awd and turbo in.

Hershey
10-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Check out these models from the TOYOTA carlineup of JAPAN , www.toyota.jp/carlineup/index.html . Lot of better choices than ours . :frown:

ERA
10-14-2010, 11:36 PM
More pictures here (http://jp-cardesigncorner.blogspot.com/2010/10/leaked-images-showing-new-2011-vitz.html)

looks pretty cool

Hershey
10-14-2010, 11:40 PM
The 2012 looks like that of an AURIS ( Corolla ) . http://toyota.jp/auris/index.html?padid=ag001_i_carlineup_top . This may be the look of the 2012 YARIS hybrid .

Hershey
10-14-2010, 11:44 PM
The PRIUS is coming in a wagon possibly by nexy summer . www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/08/ap/business/main6940372.shtml?tag=mncol;lst;1 . About time .

Vitzboy9
10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I just came across with some photos indicating that the new Yaris will have removable fascias in different colours

http://jp-cardesigncorner.blogspot.com/2010/10/modellista-interior-selections-for-new.html

djct_watt
10-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Looks like color options, not removable (at least not intended for the user to remove) panels... These kind of options are common in japan, but unfortunately they never make it out of the jdm. Cool link, nonetheless. Thanks!

Vitzboy9
10-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Looks like color options, not removable (at least not intended for the user to remove) panels... These kind of options are common in japan, but unfortunately they never make it out of the jdm. Cool link, nonetheless. Thanks!

I didn't know that... thanks for letting me know. There many nice options in Japan that neither US nor Europe get them... :frown:

djct_watt
10-15-2010, 05:33 PM
More goodies for you guys from
http://www.autonet.com.tw/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/news/2010/10/b0100275.ti+a2+a3+a4+a5+b1+/news/2010/10/b0100275+/news/2010/10/13+b3+d6+c1+c2+c3+e1+e2+e3+e5+f1:

http://newsimg.autonet.com.tw/showpic/2010/10/bb01000241.jpg
http://img.autonet.com.tw/news/img/2010/10/bb01002752.jpg
http://newsimg.autonet.com.tw/showpic/2010/10/bb01000242.jpg
http://img.autonet.com.tw/news/img/2010/10/bb01002751.jpg

Astroman
10-15-2010, 08:33 PM
So from these pics does it look like they're doing away with the 3 door? I know many like having the extra doors, but I'd still like a 3-door option. And I'm hoping that start stop makes it to the US, they already have it elsewhere on the Yaris.

djct_watt
10-16-2010, 03:08 AM
In some markets, there is no 3 door option. . . it's too early to speculate. In the USA, the five door was not offered until waaaay later, and in Thailand, only the 5 door exists.

CtrlAltDefeat
10-16-2010, 03:41 PM
hmmm.... hmmmmmmmm... hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

No Sir, I don't like it.

jetlag 5000
10-17-2010, 02:25 AM
yuk...looks like the last honda civic si model. yuk...maybe that's why they and subaru are stepping away from that look and moving back to sedans. hideous.

oh well...i'm in mine till it dies...

Hello all.... i agree Toyota have lost their way a little. The Yaris is a fab car, they must not loose that idea.

YarisBueller
10-29-2010, 10:09 PM
The new Yaris is expected to show its face at the 2011 Detroit Autoshow and here are some photos of what the new edition could look like! Not sure if these pictures are real, but sure looks like it!

Black Yaris
10-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Well I am at the Detroit autoshow almost every year... if it is there, I will post pix

why?
10-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Also discussed in this thread (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30305).

Wow, YarisBueller!!!! ...Welcome back?

naa, he won't come back and won't respond. he's paying no attention at all sadly, just tossing these new things up. Don't really know why.

tomato
10-29-2010, 11:52 PM
dual exhaust?

It looks really nice! Can't wait to see more.

yarisugi
10-30-2010, 12:58 AM
same pics, better view. I assume the bottom one is the RS model

rningonfumes
10-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Hehe, some of us already have dual center exhausts!

JumpmanYaris
10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
its kinda dumb if you ask me, If anything i think it should be renamed

Yar Is Word
10-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Glad you're still here!
Does that badge look different?

Crims0n5
10-30-2010, 12:12 PM
if the honda fit and prius had a baby...

Bredayaris
10-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Some interior pics:

http://img01.carview.co.jp/minkara/blog/000/019/893/716/19893716/P1.jpg

http://img01.carview.co.jp/minkara/blog/000/019/908/669/19908669/P1.jpg

http://img01.carview.co.jp/minkara/blog/000/019/908/769/19908769/P1.jpg

MadMax
10-30-2010, 02:54 PM
its kinda dumb if you ask me, If anything i think it should be renamed

Yeah, maybe it should be called a Matrix as that is what it now looks like...

http://www.museodelcoche.com/Galerias/wp-content/gallery/toyota/Toyota%20Matrix%20XRS.jpg

eric81
10-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Sadly, America will never see the version with a Nav system in it, or leather.

CtrlAltDefeat
10-31-2010, 02:22 PM
same pics, better view. I assume the bottom one is the RS model

Why are the back of the rear windows the opposite angle of the back window/door frame? It looks bad... and why are they trying to take away our awesome pod looking car, and adding angles and sharp corners that just don't fit. The taillights look like a versa now... :thumbdown: the 2008 looks so much better to me.

Kal-El
10-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Sadly, America will never see the version with a Nav system in it, or leather.

...or push button start/smart access...or digital climate control, ect...

Part of the reason is that Americans generally won't pay for loaded small cars as Europeans do. If Americans want feature laden cars, they get mid/full size cars.

Ford is testing the American market with their offerings in the Fiesta. The Fiesta can indeed be had with all the stuff we mentioned and much more. Even heated seats! Never mind the Ford MyTouch and Sinc systems which are high tech computer systems not found in cars costing 2-3 times as much.

This Fiesta costs over $19,300. How many people are willing to pay that for a sub-compact? Some, but not many. After all, Honda Fits can also command such a price with nav. Yet the Fit doesn't include nearly as many features.

Bredayaris
11-01-2010, 02:39 PM
This Fiesta costs over $19,300. How many people are willing to pay that for a sub-compact? Some, but not many. After all, Honda Fits can also command such a price with nav. Yet the Fit doesn't include nearly as many features.

I think you guys do have to get use to high prices for sub-compact cars.
My Yaris costs $33,000 a few years ago.

Kal-El
11-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I think you guys do have to get use to high prices for sub-compact cars.
My Yaris costs $33,000 a few years ago.

Is that USD? :eek:

In the US, that will buy you TWO brand new loaded 2011 Yaris's. A typical mid line model is only about $14-$15K.

Or you could buy a new Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus.

Kal-El
11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I just reversed the images to see what a proper :wink: left hand drive format will look like. Suddenly looks better IMO.

Bredayaris
11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Is that USD? :eek:

In the US, that will buy you TWO brand new loaded 2011 Yaris's. A typical mid line model is only about $14-$15K.

Or you could buy a new Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus.

The diesel Yaris is more expensive than the petrol one.
But the cheapest Yaris with a 1 liter engine is around $16K.

A Toyota iQ is expensive too from $16K - $30K

The cheapest C-class for example in the Netherlands is $50K.

To buy a car in Europe (The Netherlands) is a expensive task.
But that's not where it ends, we have very high taxes and very high gasoline prices.
Scandinavian countries are more expensive though.

I hope that the new Yaris comes with HSD.
It will be cheaper to drive a hybrid Yaris for me instead of the diesel.

Kal-El
11-02-2010, 04:16 PM
The diesel Yaris is more expensive than the petrol one.
But the cheapest Yaris with a 1 liter engine is around $16K.

A Toyota iQ is expensive too from $16K - $30K

The cheapest C-class for example in the Netherlands is $50K.

To buy a car in Europe (The Netherlands) is a expensive task.
But that's not where it ends, we have very high taxes and very high gasoline prices.
Scandinavian countries are more expensive though.

I hope that the new Yaris comes with HSD.
It will be cheaper to drive a hybrid Yaris for me instead of the diesel.

That's outrageous.

For reference, what's the minimum wage out there?

marlondog
11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
It's a Versa-Vitz! An illegitimate child of a Versa Momma and a Vitz Daddy. They met at one of the "Micro-Meets".

Kal-El
11-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't think we've talked about it yet, but notice the cup-holder change. It appears they are properly moved to the conventional locations. I think I see the slots to the side of the e-brake. Then there's the openings in front of the shifter. Too dark to make out, but the cup-holders could be there as well. They're definitely not in front of the vents anymore.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37978&stc=1&d=1288726311

Astroman
11-02-2010, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't call that "proper" placement for the cupholders. One of my favorite features is where they are now. It also doubles as a nice cubby. :biggrin:

Kal-El
11-02-2010, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't call that "proper" placement for the cupholders. One of my favorite features is where they are now. It also doubles as a nice cubby. :biggrin:

Yeah, it really is personal preference. But I, and probably a majority, believe that between the front seats is the ideal spot. Closest reach, not covering vents or anything else, and safe (not going to spill hot coffee on you or dash). This is why it is the location in 98% of all cars today.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the current holders, but definitely prefer them to my side where my hand rests.

eric81
11-02-2010, 09:06 PM
The heater vents keep the coffee hot, and the A/C keeps the soda cold... win/win.

2009BBPliftback
11-04-2010, 01:01 AM
It def seems to be in line with toyota's new design language, I don't think its that bad honestly, I just would like mine as a 3 door. Although I'm holding out for the rumored model thats going to slot BELOW the FT86.. word floating around the web is a RWD 1.5l that sounds more appealing to me!:iono:

YariSCAL
11-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Bummer - If I liked the Matrix, I would have bought one! :brokenheart:
I'd call it dumb stop :cry:
More goodies for you guys from
http://www.autonet.com.tw/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/news/2010/10/b0100275.ti+a2+a3+a4+a5+b1+/news/2010/10/b0100275+/news/2010/10/13+b3+d6+c1+c2+c3+e1+e2+e3+e5+f1:

http://newsimg.autonet.com.tw/showpic/2010/10/bb01000241.jpg
http://img.autonet.com.tw/news/img/2010/10/bb01002752.jpg
http://newsimg.autonet.com.tw/showpic/2010/10/bb01000242.jpg
http://img.autonet.com.tw/news/img/2010/10/bb01002751.jpg

YariSCAL
11-09-2010, 12:00 AM
I'll just have to make my '08 last forever :iono:

The taillights look like a versa now... :thumbdown: the 2008 looks so much better to me.

djct_watt
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
The cupholders in my xA were designed that way and I hated it... Ended up using the rear cupholders instead... Reaching around the shifter gets annoying

Thirty-Nine
11-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I keep thinking "Matrix." I do not like the Matrix, however.

DeathBeard
11-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I wish Toyota would use a wishbone suspension design instead of the beam/strut setup

CtrlAltDefeat
11-12-2010, 02:52 PM
I would like it if they kept the same pod-like design but gave it a more aggressive body kit (like some of the aftermarket body kits) and then gave it more options, like a factory turbo option and/or a 1.8L engine, and of course better suspension in the rear...

roxy1
11-15-2010, 07:54 AM
it is still a little bit different looking interior. honestly, if my yaris had that interior, i probably would have kept it. it wasnt completely the design, it was just the overall chintzy look to it that i hated about the current yaris.

NinjaPirate
11-23-2010, 07:19 AM
There is a sneak peek up on the Toyota Japan site now :(

BluYrs
11-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Here it is:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9167/imgmvvitzteasermain01.jpg

Kal-El
11-23-2010, 09:19 AM

Here it is:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9167/imgmvvitzteasermain01.jpg

Did Toyota forget that we've already seen the full pictures 2 months ago?

djct_watt
11-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Toyota likes to pretend that the internet doesn't exist. . .

birdman
11-30-2010, 08:58 PM
If the next Yaris looks like that it had better be a hybrid or diesel.

ddongbap
12-10-2010, 12:48 AM
If the next Yaris looks like that it had better be a hybrid or diesel.

Don't hold your breath.

ddongbap
12-10-2010, 12:54 AM
I wish Toyota would use a wishbone suspension design instead of the beam/strut setup

I don't think they'll ever do that. Even Honda moved away from the double wishbone setup.

Kal-El
12-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Good article with some answered questions...

http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/2010/12/28/might-the-next-generation-yaris-be-built-in-mexico-2/

http://kaizenfactor.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/garallyimgcar051.jpg?w=640&h=347

Toyota Japan issued a fairly-detailed English language press release on the newest Vitz, but, nevertheless, we’ll review the most important points. Debuting strictly as a 5-door hatchback with styling that foregoes the rounded, jellybean look of the previous two generations for a more angular style reminiscent of the Peugeot 308, the new Vitz/Yaris is also, in old-school Detroit parlance, longer-lower-wider than its predecessor. The graphic below informs us of a 50 mm longer wheelbase, 100 mm increase in overall length and 20 mm lower height. That translates into an almost 2″ longer wheelbase (from 2460 mm/96.9″ to 2510 mm/98.8″), 4″ longer overall length (from 3785 mm/149″ to 3885 mm/153″ outside North America) and ¾” lower (from 1525 mm/60″ to 1505 mm/59.25″).

http://kaizenfactor.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/catalog-2011-toyota-yaris-vitz-10.jpg?w=640&h=349

In Japan, the new Vitz is available in four different trim levels: the base F model; mid-grade U (which adds a leather-covered steering wheel and shift knob, plus heated seats); a new Jewela grade with exclusive interior and exterior trim options, plus silver-finish accents; and the sporty RS with its own front and rear bumper design, a roof spoiler, sports seats and leather-wrapped steering wheel with dimple stitching. And no, the terminally angry and defiant among you cannot combine trim levels to create an FU model, nor add the C package… Toyota proudly touts the availability of 17 exterior and four interior colors for the Vitz in Japan, including the Ford Fiesta-esque magenta shown at the top of this story and a chocolate brown shade shown below that can’t help but remind us of the Lexus CT 200h’s Fire Agate Pearl.
http://kaizenfactor.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/vitz-1_0jewela-1012_11-440x3221.jpg?w=370&h=224
Insofar as powertrain possibilities, the latest Vitz is an evolutionary proposition. At launch, the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) version offers a trio of 4-cylinder engine options that carry over from its predecessor: the 1-liter 1KR-FE, 1.3-liter 1NR-FE and 1.5 liter 1NZ-FE, the latter being the only engine available in North America. In Japan, it’s also the only one, in RS guise, to offer a 5-speed manual transmission. The two smaller engines come standard with what Toyota calls its Super CVT-i transmission, and this is also available with the 1.5-liter engine. On CVT-equipped RS models, it becomes the seven-speed Sports Sequential Shiftmatic transmission with a paddle shift-type shift lever that provides manual-transmission feel. Thus, this joins JDM versions of the Lexus CT 200h in attempting to instill a manumatic, “stepped-gears” feel into what are essentially continuously variable, gearless transmissions.

The intermediate 1.3-liter engine also offers a couple of notable options. For one, it’s the only engine that can be paired with all-wheel-drive. Also, somewhat counterintuitively, this is actually the most fuel-economical option when equipped with the optional Smart Stop package. That is Toyota’s take on the micro-hybrid start-stop systems so popular throughout Europe that shut down the engine when stopped at a light and restarts it (in just 0.35 seconds) when pressing the accelerator. So equipped, the new Vitz is rated at 26.5 km/L (62 mpg) on the Japanese 10-15 test cycle.

And what about a full-on hybrid version? We earlier discounted the possibility for North America and, quite surprisingly, the Japanese Car Design Corner blog quotes 3rd-generation Vitz Chief Engineer Yamamoto Hirobumi as stating that there won’t be a hybrid version available. Yet, recalling reports from earlier this year, we conclude that a hybrid version of the new Yaris will be offered, albeit only in Europe. The Old Continent should also expect a diesel-powered Yaris, presumably keeping the current 1ND-TV 1.4-liter engine.

While the more angular exterior has received a somewhat mixed reception from Internet commenters, the new interior and, especially, the instrument panel has been widely lauded as a vast improvement over the previous center-mounted instrument cluster. Granted, photographs don’t allow for a clear appreciation of the quality of materials used, but it’s still a huge step in the right direction. And the improvements go beyond improved aesthetics. The interior as a whole is 35 mm (almost 1.4″) longer than before, with all this extra length dedicated to additional rear-seat legroom. Yet, the cargo area has not been neglected, with a notable 5.7″ increase in total depth. And the Lexus CT 200h obsession with driving position and comfort has carried over to its baby cousin, with a vertical adjustment range of the driver’s seat now at 60 mm/2.4″ (15 mm/0.6″ more than the previous model) and the seat slide adjustment range is 10 mm/0.4″ with 24 steps (8 steps more than the previous model). Also, to keep things cool and comfortable, the new Vitz is the first vehicle in the world to use UV-reducing glass in the front-door glass. This reduces 99% of incoming ultraviolet light, providing the same level of UV protection as wearing gloves!

What about a 3-door version?

Upon reading that the 3rd-generation Vitz has launched exclusively as a 5-door hatchback, fans of the 3-door version may well be wondering if that body style is now history. After all, the larger C-segment has recently seen a massive move away from a single door per side. In the smaller B-segment where the Yaris/Vitz competes, however, there is a much larger presence of the 3-door hatch body among its rivals. That’s not to say, however, that this is a universal trend. Honda, for one, has never seen fit to offer a 3-door Fit/Jazz, and the Nissan Micra launched its 4th generation just over a year ago exclusively as a 5-door hatchback. And, quite notably, the current Toyota Yaris is one of just a handful of B-segment 3-door hatchbacks sold in North America (along with the soon-to-be-replaced Hyundai Accent, the upcoming Fiat 500 and, arguably, the much pricier BMW MINI). Thus, it’s anybody’s guess whether the North American Yaris will or won’t offer a 3-door hatchback variant.

In Europe, on the other hand, we predict the continuation of this body style for the 3rd-generation Yaris. After all, the 3-door hatchback variants of the current Ford Fiesta, Mazda2 and Chevrolet Aveo that are absent from North America are available in Europe, and other Old World rivals such as the VW Polo and Opel/Vauxhall Corsa also offer this model. The likeliest venue for the debut of the French-built European version of the 3rd-generation Yaris is the 2011 Geneva Auto Show in early March.

Will there be a 4-door sedan?

In stark contrast to the 3-door hatchback, the 4-door sedan version of the Yaris is absent from the European market, and will surely remain so for the upcoming 3rd-generation. In fact, a 4-door sedan Yaris per se only exists in the Americas and Oceania (Australia and New Zealand). Throughout Asia, it is considered a separate model line from the Yaris, known as Belta in Japan and Vios in Southeast Asia, including China. The debut of the next-generation version should occur shortly, no later than at some point in early-to-mid 2011. Given the abundance of B-segment 4-door sedans sold in North America, such as Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Aveo Sonic, Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent, the new Yaris sedan should certainly make its way here.

Might the new Yaris for North America be notably larger than Japan and Europe’s version?

Early last month, an article from the United Kingdom’s Autocar contained several predictions on the new Yaris’ future, some of them dubious and puzzling, such as a passage stating that “The forthcoming Yaris is likely to mark a split in small-car policy between Europe and the US. Toyota North America is said to have been lobbying for the car to move up in size, but this has been resisted. Instead, the US arm will unveil its own concept at January’s Detroit motor show, pointing towards a slightly larger B-segment model.” Color us skeptical for a couple of reasons. For one, Toyota has subsequently revealed that its planned 2011 Detroit Auto Show debuts revolve around the expanding Prius family. Also, while the larger-for-North America sizing plan is quite common for mid-sized/D-segment cars (Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Mazda6 and Mitsubishi Galant all are or have been larger here than in Japan and Europe), it has rarely if ever been done in the smaller, less profitable B-segment. And if any vehicles in the latter size class are longer in North America than in other markets (such as the current Yaris hatchback’s 3785 mm/ 149″ length outside North America versus its 3825 mm/150.6″ here, or the Honda Fit’s 3900 mm/153.5″ length outside North America versus its 4105 mm/161.6″ here), it’s due to our more stringent crash safety and bumper impact laws.

Also notable is Autocar‘s claim that “a small concept pointing to the European version of the car is due at next spring’s Geneva motor show”. Would this make sense, given that the world has already seen the Japanese version?

So what’s this Hecho en México business?

It is no secret that the current strong yen/weak U.S. dollar relation has strongly hit the profitability of Japan’s automakers, not just Toyota. Unlike previous times when this has occurred, the Japanese government has not intervened to weaken its currency in order to make the country’s exports more competitive. And, the smaller and less profitable the vehicle, the less sense it makes to build it in Japan. Already, Nissan has taken the historical decision to stop building its smallest model (rebadged kei-cars excepted), the Micra in Japan altogether. Indeed, “JDM” Nissan Micras will be built in Thailand, with India, China and Mexico being the alternate sources for this model. Also, numerous press reports have stated that Toyota is considering a broadly similar move with the Corolla, discontinuing its export from Japanese plants. If this turns out to be the case, wouldn’t a similar move make sense for the even smaller and likely less profitable Vitz/Yaris?

Adding to the “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” aura of this speculation, an Asahi via Reuters story from mid-October claims that “Toyota… is considering building its second car plant in Mexico to boost local output due to the yen’s strength…Toyota, which makes pickup trucks (the Tacoma) mainly for the U.S. market in Mexico, plans to produce compact cars for North America at the new factory from around 2013…The paper also said Toyota will respond to growing demand for low-cost compact cars in Mexico with the new plant.” Sure, the low-cost compact in question could be yet another North American site (after Ontario, Canada and the upcoming Mississippi site in the U.S.) for Corolla, but, with the lowest labor costs in North America, Mexico would be a natural venue for Yaris production, thus joining the Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa and Sentra, Volkswagen Jetta, the upcoming Chevrolet Spark and Fiat 500 and, possibly, the Mazda2 and/or Mazda3 as compact and sub-compact models bearing the Hecho en México imprint.

http://kaizenfactor.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/garallyimgcar041.jpg

auxmike
12-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I'd keep my old '08 and go for a FIAT 500...

roxy1
12-28-2010, 06:16 PM

call me if (i mean when) you need a ride home from the mechanic.

auxmike
12-28-2010, 07:14 PM
call me if (i mean when) you need a ride home from the mechanic.

I know, I know!
But it IS a real neat looking ride with some cool options.
I think they will be built in Mexico, NOT Italy....:cry:

ECHOKnight2000
12-30-2010, 05:07 PM

I like the new Fiat 500 as well. Looks like a neat car. I'm glad they are bringing it here. Hope its a successful car.

Shinare
12-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Will there be a 500 Abarth SS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpAFi9nIJVQ)? Would love one!

roxy1
12-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I know, I know!
But it IS a real neat looking ride with some cool options.
I think they will be built in Mexico, NOT Italy....:cry:

no doubt. i like the looks better than the mini id be lying if i said i wasnt going to test drive one when they hit lots.

derickveliz2
12-30-2010, 09:26 PM
From 1988 to 1998 I owned a FIAT CITY (small, really small pickup) I love my little FIAT.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another FIAT, they are awesome little machines.

D.

derickveliz2
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
no doubt. i like the looks better than the mini id be lying if i said i wasnt going to test drive one when they hit lots.

My FIAT CITY was made in Brazil, materials were not first quality, specially electrical connections but besides that the DESIGN and overall was great, my Yaris reminds me a lot about how good it was.

Jason@SportsCar
01-03-2011, 02:18 PM
I like the new Fiat 500 as well. Looks like a neat car. I'm glad they are bringing it here. Hope its a successful car.

I wish we could get this one:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110063027120/fiat-500-ferrari-dealers-edition-with-268-ps-by-pogea-racing

cali yaris
01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
^ boosting the car's output to 264 hp (197 kW, 268 PS) and up to 330 Nm (243 ft-lb) of torque.

:drool:

2009BBPliftback
01-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I will try and score some decent pictures when I go to the NAIAS this upcoming Saturday!

Jason@SportsCar
01-10-2011, 12:55 AM
I will try and score some decent pictures when I go to the NAIAS this upcoming Saturday!

Of the Fiat? I dont think you will see the 2012 Yaris there.:wink:

2009BBPliftback
01-10-2011, 02:32 AM
Really I thought they were going to do the American unveil at the 2011 show? Well damn I guess I will have to look for something else to snap pictures of... Maybe the new prius mpv?!

ECHOKnight2000
01-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Really I thought they were going to do the American unveil at the 2011 show? Well damn I guess I will have to look for something else to snap pictures of... Maybe the new prius mpv?!

They might not reveal the USDM version until the New York auto show or wait until the fall. From what I heard the new Camry will be revealed at that time.

hachi-roku_fan
02-02-2011, 11:26 PM
I saw a Nissan Versa hatch while I was stuck in traffic today and thought, where else I have I seen that rear door shape before? And then the new Yaris popped into my head. Bleh, is there any hope of a 3 door hatch coming out, or is it strictly a 5 door model?

Kal-El
02-03-2011, 07:07 AM
..., is there any hope of a 3 door hatch coming out, or is it strictly a 5 door model?

It looks like Toyota has no plans of continuing a 3-door. Weird how they first offer only a 3-door in the US, and now, only a 5-door after 100's of thousands of 3-doors have been sold to happy customers.

The so called marketing geniuses feel that most will just want the 5-door. And since almost every other company is no longer offering 3-doors, Toyota won't lose many customers.

roxy1
02-03-2011, 06:08 PM
not too quirky looking, 5 door hatch will sell much better than the current hatch ever did.

toyota has not been interested in making anything look too radical in many years now. the current hatch was not so radical as it was quirky and cute. if this one is less noisy, doesnt handle so poorly, has better shifting dynamics, and doesnt look so pathetically cheap on the interior, it will appeal to more people, imo.

CtrlAltDefeat
02-06-2011, 02:39 AM
not too quirky looking, 5 door hatch will sell much better than the current hatch ever did.

toyota has not been interested in making anything look too radical in many years now. the current hatch was not so radical as it was quirky and cute. if this one is less noisy, doesnt handle so poorly, has better shifting dynamics, and doesnt look so pathetically cheap on the interior, it will appeal to more people, imo.

Handle poorly? Bad shifting dynamics? The current gen handles great, and I've never had any issues with the way it shifts. Granted, stock ride height is like it's on stilts, but that's pretty normal for most stock cheap cars... As far as 5 door vs 3 door; since the only real difference i can see is the 5 door is easier to get into the back of, I really don't see a need for both the 5 door and the 3 door. I enjoy my 3 door, but a 5 door would be a lot more convenient for the times someone or something needs to go into the back. I'll see what Toyota has to offer in 6-8 years when I'm ready to get a new car... :biggrin:

auxmike
02-06-2011, 07:54 PM
^+1
Love the way the Yaris handles, just be sure to get the rear stabilizer bar.

roxy1
02-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Handle poorly? Bad shifting dynamics? The current gen handles great, and I've never had any issues with the way it shifts. :biggrin:

i take my stock corolla around on/off ramps at speeds that the yaris was rolling so badly i had to slow down. just too much roll. not saying the corolla is a great handler (it isnt). just better than the yaris, and thats a little sad.

id say the yaris has the worst clutch uptake of any small car ive ever driven. the shifter is rather clunky as well (not too mention that horrid rubber boot). we all know about the horrible seating position in relation to the steering wheel(easily would be fixed with telescoping wheel). my corolla shifting feel is like butter in comparison, much smoother and easy to find a comfortable position.

a cheap car doesnt have to look and feel so cheap...im holding out hope for the new yaris.

derickveliz2
02-07-2011, 02:32 AM
i take my stock corolla around on/off ramps at speeds that the yaris was rolling so badly i had to slow down. just too much roll. not saying the corolla is a great handler (it isnt). just better than the yaris, and thats a little sad.

After a few mods, my Yaris out performs my corolla in every way! but one thing...

Ground Clearance!

D.

roxy1
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
now, ive read the new version is actually lighter than the previous version. if they get this over 40 mpg hwy, it will be a class leader. i could easily live with that. ill take one in black

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/roxy84_photos/Toyota-Vitz-9.jpg