PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!

riceboy
04-20-2006, 09:44 AM
So I'm passing by neighbor and I notice that his BMW x5 is missing, and what's in its place??? Would you believe a 5 Door LE Polar White Yaris??? Is this the start of a new trend? With oil reaching record highs day in and day out, will we finally see a high turnover of gass guzzlers for sub compacts???

why?
04-20-2006, 09:45 AM
LOL, cool. If gas prices keep going higher, then we will see more and more of that happening.

stuffy
04-20-2006, 10:23 AM
i don't want to pay more out of my pocket for gas...but i kind of want to see suv owners crying at the pump, what kind of blend would that be?

87 octane/25 tears?

Idjiit
04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Well, my decision isn't based solely on the economics of the situation but the fact that you're talking about wasting a limited resource, and I hate waste. Our Prius is kind of the ultimate in terms of saving gas, but the Yaris isn't too far behind. I'd love to have a second Prius, but it's a bit ridiculous having two $25K cars in the family since I work at home and don't drive on a daily basis.

ricko
04-20-2006, 10:36 AM
If you can afford a BMW x5, gas prices are probably the least of your worries. It will be owners of the less expensive pick-ups, vans and suv's that will be making the switch.

Thirty-Nine
04-20-2006, 10:39 AM
I love b-segment cars. Even if gas were $1 a gallon I would be looking at the Yaris.

DJ_SpaRky
04-20-2006, 12:24 PM
I love b-segment cars. Even if gas were $1 a gallon I would be looking at the Yaris.

Same here.

Leenis24
04-20-2006, 06:15 PM
the prices arn't a worry for me, as of the moment. If i wanna drive, i'll pay for it, no biggie. My choice on buying a yaris is'nt because of the gas prices, its because its one of few brand new cars that i can afford, and because my car now is a piece of __________. insert what you will. Now if gas hits $3.20 or higher i'll start to get mad. Currently in my area its $2.84 and i think it will rise again.

stuffy
04-20-2006, 06:39 PM
the don't cares are catching up

birdy
04-20-2006, 07:28 PM
it is 40 bucks to fill my car up and it lasts about 250 miles

so hell yes it had everything to do with me buying a yaris, that and its a badass little car.

why?
04-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Its $45 to fill up my Saab.

Gas price did have an effect on my decision, but I've been looking at getting a small hatch for a few years. Was hoping to see a little Toyota All Trac Turbo magic, but I knew the odds of that were very slim.

Sp33dY
04-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Petrol is now 139.4 cents / Litre where i live .. it's the highest it's been in years ... I can only think of one instance in the past where its been this high, and it peaked at around 143c/L. NO WAY would i buy a large car with petrol the way it is. It costs me just over $50 to fill my echo, and my dad pays over $70 a tank to fill his Toyota Kluger, we both average about 500-550kms a tank!

plushDJ
04-20-2006, 10:06 PM
EVERYONE in Red Deer owns an SUV or full size truck, I just laugh when I hear they have to pay 70 bucks to fill every week and a half :biggrin:

flash
04-20-2006, 11:09 PM
yeah, I'm with you Ijiit and stuffy. doesn't have to do so much with the price. I would get this car anyway. I have two Corollas now. but if price causes people in the U.S. to finally start driving smaller cars, then GREAT!

mygrnthmb
04-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Its $45 to fill up my Saab.

Gas price did have an effect on my decision, but I've been looking at getting a small hatch for a few years. Was hoping to see a little Toyota All Trac Turbo magic, but I knew the odds of that were very slim.

Careful you're sounding a little pompous.....

riceboy
04-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Is it sick that I'd like to see gas go up to $2.00 so that there will be more open road for me to drive on?

why?
04-22-2006, 12:13 PM
No, it is normal, lol.

Do they have any mass transit systems where you live? If gas prices gets higher more people will use those instead of driving.

riceboy
04-22-2006, 12:41 PM
We have a decent system, it has its flaws but we have a good network of train, subway, and buses.. The problem is that the majority of ppl who drive usually only have one person in the car, ppl say it's convenience but really how much faster is it to sit on an expressway for an hour a day?

why?
04-22-2006, 01:42 PM
That is the point.

People that commute should really carpool.

Of course if they all drove shorter cars that would help as well.

There are many people who live near me who commute to Boston, which is at least 2 hours each day during rush hour. I think they are nuts.

It would be nice to have a good high speed mass transit system that connected the entire east coast of the USA.

plushDJ
04-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Whoops, gas went up, I know guys that pay over 100 bucks now to fill every week :laugh:

riceboy
04-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Damn,.. 100 bucks... at 400 bucks a month, you might as well get together with a couple of colleagues and rent a place walking distance from work....

why?
04-24-2006, 10:39 AM
It is getting rediculous. I payed $3.19 US to fill up my Saab.

Can't wait to get my Yaris, cheaper gas and less of it.

Idjiit
04-24-2006, 10:48 AM
We knew buying the Prius a year and a half ago would be a good move, but damn. We'll most likely be moving closer to my wife's place of work in the fall. She's got a 60 mile commute, so even with the Prius that's about 3 dollars a day.

Yaris Revenge
04-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah, living in the "South", as I do, 80% of the vehicles on the road are trucks or SUVs. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, but when businessmen are purchasing SUVs made by Cadillac (WTF?) and stay-at-home moms think they need a Navigator instead of a minivan to haul the kids, something has gone very wrong in the world. I'm secretly enjoying all the little bitch-n-moan sessions 'round here lately. :laugh:

BTW, how's $3.01 for Regular sound? Rome's more expensive than Atlanta right now! I bet we top $4.00 before the summer is over..... :cry:

~YR

EDIT: Hey Why?, was that price for Regular, or are you goin' Premium on us???

why?
04-27-2006, 10:05 AM
I drive a turbo Saab, so I have to use premium. The regular was 2.97.

7-10 days for my Yaris to come.

TRD_Yaris
07-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Here IN Austin, A LOT OF THE Toyta/Honda dealership's used car lots ARE FILLED with Tahoes / Dodge Rams / Expeditions...the sad thing is most of these people are LOSING SO MUCH in TRADE IN and getting screwed on MSRP+ cost of the new car that they would be better off just sucking it up and living with their gas guzzlers :laughabove:
I didn't sell my Lexus for gas mileage, I just got sick of keeping it garaged and free of door dings / key scratches :thumbdown: .. But, now that Premium is $3.00 /gallon I'm loving it :thumbup:

it's about time we took our gas consumption more seriously here in america...it sucks that it has to be forced on us..but that is our own doing. If we had reduced our fuel consumption by 3%, we would reduce the STRAIN on our limited supply and prices would settle. OR, if the government stepped up and MADE SOME DAMN REFINERIES or REDUCED OIL/Coal consumption by instituting a RENEWABLE PORTFOLIO SYSTEM which would also DECENTRALIZE our energy supply we would be JUST DANDY!!...but it won't happen so suck it up and reduce your personal fuel consumption.
America is so wasteful, extravagant, and decadent it's pathetic!!!! Time to pay in pounds of flesh, right Mr. Bush?

boxerboy
07-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Drive what you want. I do not worry to much about gas prices. I am concerned with how much I have to pay per month. Thats the main reason I bought my Yaris. How much do I need to pay to get my dumb ass from point A to point B?:iono: You will need to decide what you want to pay. I will spend that money I save. (I get to eat more sushi and drink more sake) I do like to see those people driving those SUV I kind of think its funny with just the driver. My wifes and sons income comes from oil and gas. Just what do you want to spend your money on?:confused:

Chris07LB
07-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Bought mine to commute, thats about it.

My Armada and Harley truck get around 13mpg, but it still doesnt stop me from driving them as much as I can.... and btw, I work for BIG OIL. :wink:

sroberts
07-05-2006, 10:40 AM
LOL, you guys are light weights. It costs me $130 to fill up my suburban. It has a 44gal gas tank but I can afford it. I use it to tow my Jeeps to the trails and back. I also have motorhome that gets even worse mileage. Gas isn't too big of a concern for me. Like most, it was the only new car that I could afford for getting to work and back reliably. And, I am hoping it will last a few years so it can be my sons first car.

My Yaris is supposed to be at the dealer this week!! Yay!! I just hope they didn't sell it out from under me, like most of the horror stories I have heard on this board.

Master2192
07-05-2006, 01:49 PM
I spend about $90 a month on fuel per month driving my Impreza RS. Fuel costs aren't a huge concern to me, but it is a consideration when picking a Commuter car.

The big thing is I usually do one big road trip per year, last time I had my cavalier which got 32-33 on the highway and could go 440 miles per tank. My Impreza or the WRX don't get nearly that which greatly increases the costs of my vacation.

HanSel
07-05-2006, 07:09 PM
it is 40 bucks to fill my car up and it lasts about 250 miles

so hell yes it had everything to do with me buying a yaris, that and its a badass little car.

I get even less than that with my STi..prolly around 220.. and thats being optomistic..

PLUS i drive back and forth from the OC to my parents house every few days and drive everywhere in between.. its safe to say i fill up every 2 or 3 days..
im looking for a good ecomony car..like the fit or the yaris.

cadence220
07-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Well, my decision isn't based solely on the economics of the situation but the fact that you're talking about wasting a limited resource, and I hate waste. Our Prius is kind of the ultimate in terms of saving gas, but the Yaris isn't too far behind. I'd love to have a second Prius, but it's a bit ridiculous having two $25K cars in the family since I work at home and don't drive on a daily basis.

I agree with the limited resources thing. I have been getting into this site: :thumbup: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ :thumbup: It's crazy how many tons of emissions each car produces:eyebulge: .

bulldogs2k
07-20-2006, 01:01 AM
I hated paying premium gas for my s2000, although, it had a small tank that would usually cost me 35 dollars. The problem was it only got 230 to the fill up, which had me visiting the pumps every 4 days. Now we fill up our yaris every two weeks or so. Loving it! I have been biking to school/gym/work, which is great! Been loosing tons of weight and I am doing my part on conserving energy. I realized that we may enjoy having big cars, or splurg on our natural resources, but in the end, our kids will have to deal with our choices. With that being said, i think i will be getting a sail boat instead of a motor boat. :)