PDA

View Full Version : Anti theft "chip" in the key?

fazali
12-19-2006, 01:03 AM
Does anyone know if this chip exist in the key? The antitheft immobilizer that the cars computer must recognize. I want to have a remote starter installed and the alarm installer is saying I need a bypass module. Can anyone confirm if this is needed?

Can anyone recommend a good outfit in the Dallas/Frisco area to install it?

PetersRedYaris
12-19-2006, 01:16 AM
No. There is no chip in the Yaris key. This is at least true for the non-keyless entry option. You can have duplicates made anywhere, including Walmart, and they will work in the door as well as the ignition. Doe's it cost extra for this bypass module? Don't let them take you for a ride.
Test it your self. Have a cheap key made and try to start your car with it. If it starts, no chip. If it turns over but wont start, you have a chip.

paultyler_82
12-19-2006, 01:23 AM
the chip/immobilizer combo is only present as an option in the sedan, it is not installed base in the sedan, nor is it availiable AT ALL on the liftback, I'd say your installer is trying to take you for a ride, confront them about it and suggest you might take your car elsewhere.

fazali
12-19-2006, 01:25 AM
thank you for the information. i will commence with the install with no bypass module required. wish me luck

07WYarisRS
12-19-2006, 03:18 AM
I know for a fact the immobilizer comes standard on hatchbacks and sedans with keyless here in Canada

bigsky2
12-19-2006, 04:07 AM
I know for a fact the immobilizer comes standard on hatchbacks and sedans with keyless here in Canada

Correct.
There's a passive immobilizer for the Hatchbacks/Sedans with the keyless entry fob..

paultyler_82
12-19-2006, 05:06 AM

It's part of the keyless system, not the passkey/transponder style immobilizer.

IllusionX
12-19-2006, 01:37 PM
???

in canada, it's the option of a key RECOGNIZER. so the car will start as long as it's started with the correct key.

ie, if you try to start the car by hardwiring, it will not work. i think it's pretty useless..

paultyler_82
12-19-2006, 09:30 PM
I understand it is available in Canada, but the Key Transponder/Immobilizer is not available on any United States Yaris Liftback, and the poster was a Liftback owner from Texas, so his alarm installer was trying to bullshit him.

Black Yaris
12-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Not realy we special ordered a 2nd liftback loaded to the max, that DID have the immobilizer key, we ended not getting the 2nd car and bought windows for the house instead

paultyler_82
12-20-2006, 01:17 AM
*EDIT* I'm not going to argue the point.*EDIT* I'm just trying to save this guy from getting fleeced by his alarm installer, the only case in which you may need to bypass an immobilizer is the keyless entry system, but it's not built into the ECU, so there are other ways around it besides a potentially expensive transponder bypass unit.

07WYarisRS
12-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Well I don't know exactly how it works... I just know the car won't run on a steel key cut from the hardware store.
I have to use either my MASTER keys (i ordered a second master for $200)or one of the two black OEToyota keys.
I also know if a key or key ring is sitting on top of the fob when the car is running it will shut off. The keys must hang below the fob.

PetersRedYaris
12-20-2006, 10:34 AM
My car starts fine with the steel hide-a-key I had made at Walmart.
However, due to differences in Canadian/US models and special order options, I believe Fazali needs a second opinion from another installer.

static808
12-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Not realy we special ordered a 2nd liftback loaded to the max, that DID have the immobilizer key, we ended not getting the 2nd car and bought windows for the house instead

are you absolutely sure about this?? when we ordered our yaris, the dealer said this was not an option (i know, i know, dealers dont know $h!t), and all the literature says it isnt an option as well. i would like to have had this, as just another passive security option. damn, why are there are soo many variations of the yarii in soo many different places...

--B

paultyler_82
12-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Well I don't know exactly how it works... I just know the car won't run on a steel key cut from the hardware store.
I have to use either my MASTER keys (i ordered a second master for $200)or one of the two black OEToyota keys.
I also know if a key or key ring is sitting on top of the fob when the car is running it will shut off. The keys must hang below the fob.

Yeah, I know, but yours is a Canadian model, on which the transponder key is an option.

Just to update people, this only refers to USDM LIFTBACKS... I checked with my parts department today, only ONE key is specified for the US LIFTBACK, the non-transpondered key, unlike the SEDAN which has p/n's specifed for a non- and a transpondered key. Just to double-check, we ran the VIN of a fully loaded liftback on the lot, and the p/n specified was the non-transponder key. We even checked with another Toyota dealer in a nearby town, their parts computer said the same thing.

elsteverino889
12-25-2006, 03:24 PM
The chip does exsist

paultyler_82
12-25-2006, 07:47 PM
The chip does exsist

I notice in your User tag you are a SEDAN owner, so I refer back to what I just said.

...this only refers to USDM LIFTBACKS... I checked with my parts department today, only ONE key is specified for the US LIFTBACK, the non-transpondered key, unlike the SEDAN which has p/n's specifed for a non- and a transpondered key....

The person who was asking this question is a LIFTBACK owner... they are both CALLED Yaris, but these are two different cars, with two different sets of specifications and options, people seem to forget this.

elsteverino889
12-26-2006, 05:59 PM
You better calm yourself buddy because on his opening post he doesnt specify liftback or sedan...I have a sedan that has a Remote Start Clifford alarm that cost $400 and 50 additional because they had to install the module because of the chip in my key if there is anything i know is about this and next time you wanna get smart you should read how there is no info about him having a liftback in his opening statements

eflb55
12-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Ya.. Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
He didn't say that he noticed it in the opening post.

Regardless when I went to the local shop they said they are going to use my valet key to do the bypass. They weren't sure if my car needed the bypass and told me to turn it on and look to see if there was a key symbol when I started my car up near the spedometer and there was. I guess that is the key immobilizer. If it wasn't so damn cold out I would grab my manual and see what that symbol means.

Edit:
I don't know what that high-on was talking about. It's an engine temperature thing, has nothing to do with the immobilizer. But in my manual it says that if the red light on the dash is flashing after I turn the car off, the system immobilizer is on there. It also says
"The engine immobilizer system is a theft prevention system. When you insert the key in the ignition switch, the transponder chip in the key's head transmits an electronic code to the vehicle. The engine will start only when the electronic code in the chip corresponds to the registered ID code for the vehicle."

Bingo?

Edit Edit:
No flashing light. I think they are trying to pull a fast one on me.

paultyler_82
12-26-2006, 09:19 PM
You better calm yourself buddy because on his opening post he doesnt specify liftback or sedan...I have a sedan that has a Remote Start Clifford alarm that cost $400 and 50 additional because they had to install the module because of the chip in my key if there is anything i know is about this and next time you wanna get smart you should read how there is no info about him having a liftback in his opening statements

I wasn't being smart, I was simply restating again, what I had said several times because several Sedan owners and Canadian Liftback owners had said that the chip did exsist for them, I didn't want the original poster or anyone else to be confused by conflicting information, it clearly states to the side of his post under his user name that he drives a 2007 Toyota Yaris LB and is located in Dallas, TX therefore, he drives a United States Domestic Market Yaris Liftback... I wasn't being argumentitive in the least, and I don't beleive anything I said could remotely be taken as an attack, or being smart-assed, I was simply re-clarifying the same info, and underlining for emphasis.

Canadian Liftbacks: transponder optional
US Sedans: transponder optional
US Liftbacks: transponder not currently available under any package or option as of the '07 model.

fazali
02-07-2007, 12:41 AM
what he said? wha?

fazali
02-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Ok- So, the final determination is..... no chip, right. Yes, I do have the 2door liftback.

I'm going to the installer tomorrow and I do not expect to have to pay for the bypass... right?

Faz

fazali
02-15-2007, 11:34 PM
okay folks its confirmed. there is no security chip in the key of my Yaris HB. I installed a remote start alarm system today, no bypass module needed. No extra key needed.

Lets roll.

paultyler_82
02-15-2007, 11:42 PM
okay folks its confirmed. there is no security chip in the key of my Yaris HB. I installed a remote start alarm system today, no bypass module needed. No extra key needed.

Lets roll.

glad you didn't get hosed with the extra price of a bypass module, what alarm system did you get, and how's it doing for you?

fazali
02-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Viper 5900.... sweet!

id3379
11-07-2008, 06:50 PM
i knew the sales guy was lieing about the chip in my key..

bzinn 1
11-07-2008, 06:58 PM
^ sedan should have the chip in USA.to be sure have a new key cut at home depot or somewhere and try to start car if it starts there is no chip.if it dont there is.hope that helps

the_boss
11-07-2008, 06:59 PM
i have a hatchback with manual transmision and when I bought my remote starter thwy checked if they had to bypass anything and because I didn't had a chip and a immobilizer it was ok for 275$ instalation/ taxes includes. If I would have the chip in the key it would have been 50 to 75$ more. Not sire if I have the immobilizer in the car but if I have one it's useless...

marcus
11-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know if this chip exist in the key? The antitheft immobilizer that the cars computer must recognize. I want to have a remote starter installed and the alarm installer is saying I need a bypass module. Can anyone confirm if this is needed?

Can anyone recommend a good outfit in the Dallas/Frisco area to install it?

yup thats what the sales rep told me then i found out later on that there is no chip at all..but the sales rep doesnt work there anymore... that bastard.

sportin83
11-10-2008, 12:15 AM
i didnt use a bypass for my car. i did the python 872le

firemachine69
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
2008 and up in Canada have the immobilizer, as required by law for any new vehicle.

I don't believe that applies to you Southern folks.

IllusionX
11-10-2008, 01:44 PM
yeah, by law is it required for all cars in Canada to have a chip in the key for all new vehicles from 2008.

sportin83
11-10-2008, 08:41 PM
that sounds like a stupid law, those chips cant prevent that much theft.

pinoypizzaboy
11-10-2008, 09:08 PM
lojack ftw!!

b_hickman11
11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I have a mine own theft deterant system. It's my wife's 9mm and my 45 cal. You gotta love legal guns in Texas!!

IllusionX
11-11-2008, 11:52 AM
guns are legal in Canada also. You just aren't supposed to buy it illegally.

DerKaiZeRs
11-12-2008, 04:24 AM
so basically we still can install the remote starter but alarm installer should install the additional module because of the chip in the key...

Am I right?

coz mine is Yaris Sedan.. and I want to install my alarm that has remote starter option.

IllusionX
11-12-2008, 12:18 PM
yup, it should cost a couple dollars more to have a bypass installed.

sportin83
11-12-2008, 01:04 PM
so basically we still can install the remote starter but alarm installer should install the additional module because of the chip in the key...

Am I right?

coz mine is Yaris Sedan.. and I want to install my alarm that has remote starter option.

alarm does not need bypass but a remote starter does

DerKaiZeRs
11-13-2008, 12:52 AM
yup, it should cost a couple dollars more to have a bypass installed.

alarm does not need bypass but a remote starter does

i c.... :drinking::drinking:

thx for the info... :thumbup::thumbup:

because when I went to alarm installer, they said that they can install the alarm but they cannot make the remote starter works because of the immobilizer. :cry::cry:

IllusionX
11-13-2008, 08:52 AM
oh yeah, thanks sportin for the clarifications..

CTScott
11-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Am I right?

For the bypass module, go with the Fortin Key-Override-All. It doesn't require you to waste a key, installs and programs mighty easy, and only costs about $50. I used it when I installed keyless entry / remote start on my 09.

http://ifar.ca/en/products/flashlink_series/key-override-all/