PDA

View Full Version : what's next??

dngz
12-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Just wondering what else can be done to improve performance??

I already have the WR Intake, MeganRacing Header, and a 2" Catback exhaust w/ Dynomax muffler.

I want to get the NST Pulley from the Group Buy, I already got light weight 16" rims, I dont want to go too crazy with the weight reduction, and I'm not looking to buy a super/turbocharger anytime soon... What else can i do??

eTiMaGo
12-21-2006, 08:46 PM
At this point in time there's really not all that much else... ECU mods are still not confirmed to work, so apart from changing the engine internals (higher compression pistons), or nitrous, I don't really thing there is much more...

Triumph675
12-21-2006, 09:19 PM
I would say just enjoy your car. Modding can become an addiction in itself and too many mods do not always make the car more enjoyable to drive or live with. If you have not done any suspension work yet do some of that and go drive some twisty roads. If there are any winter rallycross events in your area do some of those and do some autocrosses in the spring and summer.

I can honestly say that the most fun I've had with every car that I have ever owned was at one of these events and no/little mods are required to do so.

Chris07LB
12-21-2006, 09:28 PM
I would say just enjoy your car. Modding can become an addiction in itself and too many mods do not always make the car more enjoyable to drive or live with. If you have not done any suspension work yet do some of that and go drive some twisty roads. If there are any winter rallycross events in your area do some of those and do some autocrosses in the spring and summer.

I can honestly say that the most fun I've had with every car that I have ever owned was at one of these events and no/little mods are required to do so.

Where in Jersey are these rallycross events? Id love to see one in person. :thumbsup:

Triumph675
12-22-2006, 07:58 AM
Depending on where in NJ you live, there are several choices. Down South, there is the Philly Region of the SCCA that runs rallycrosses every year.

NJ SCCA region runs them occasionaly at Wall Raceway in NJ.

NY Region runs rally crosses in Ulster county, NY.

Best places to check is on the Subaru forums such as NASIOC and I-Club, in the NJ/NY local forum sections. As soon as a rallycorss event pops up, these guys are all over them.

dngz
12-22-2006, 04:14 PM
yea, i am gonna work on my suspension and brakes next. but i wouldnt mind having a lil more power!

Tamago
12-22-2006, 04:56 PM
to add speed, add lightness

dngz
12-22-2006, 08:02 PM
I dont want to go too crazy with the weight reduction though. What can I take out that wont make the ride too uncomfortable?

Tamago
12-23-2006, 09:03 AM
everything but the seat you sit in :) :)

dude, you seem to want everything.. perfect ride, more power without spending any money, etc etc, you are gonna have to compromise.

if you wanted the car better all-around you should have left it stock.

i ride around in an FIA approved MOMO START seat with 3" SFI harnesses on a daily basis, and for what? so when i go to autoX i'm ready and happy to be there, knowing my car weighs a good 200lbs less than when i got it. is it noisier around town? yes! is the seat a little stiff after a couple of hours sitting in it? yes! is the harness annoying when you're in and out of the car a lot? YES! but it all comes back to convenience on track day. i can at any time on any day just grab my race rubber and GO to the track. the car is ready !

so what do you want the car for? daily driver? ever gonna race? and i dont mean drag race, that's not really racing in an 18sec car lololol.. if it's your daily driver, and you HAVE to keep it legal, i say leave well enough alone. make it look nice to you, pleasing to the eye, and call it quits. the car will NEVER be fast at all, unless you make compromises.

graywolf_14
12-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Well if its my daily driver and I just bought it I am wouldnt rip everything out of it. I have had a strips down car but it was a ford festiva so it only weighted 1700 wet.

ChinoCharles
12-23-2006, 02:28 PM
I often wonder if all you naysayers on Yaris speed potential have ever seen the dyno sheet from the BLITZ supercharged Vitz. 140 horsepower in my car with the way it handles... holy shit would that be a fun daily driver! One day, one day...

Anyway, if you're going to be cheap about the next step in speed mods, forget about it. Listen to these guys and keep it stock, because pretty much anything past where you are now is going to be kind of expensive.

If you aren't going to cheap out, you can look into building the motor, getting a final gear set, or getting a limited slip. These are the things you will want to have done already when you decide to spray the car or go forced induction... or even if you decide to just try to make a quick N/A Yar. That ITB setup from Dan's would be interesting, haha.

There is some other stuff... lightened flywheel comes to mind. Again, though, that isn't a $200 mod.

Tamago
12-23-2006, 06:38 PM
i have a flywheel i'll sell for $200

eco
12-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Well a full lightened pulley set,not just the Crank pulley,I took out all my rear head rest on the sedan,thats about 5-10 pounds(I didnt weigh them).Take out the back floor mats,read your manual,then take it to Kinkos and get copy of the pages you might need on hand(fuses,jack stand positions,others),then just keep the copies in the car,the book weighs about 3-5lb's.And thats just a few off my head,but every little thing counts,so after you add everything up,maybe your talking 30-50lbs after you take everything you dont need out.

Tamago
12-23-2006, 08:51 PM
forgetting battery..

hell take out the whole damn seat, spare tire, rear door panels, passenger seat, carpet, stereo, AC, you're set!

dngz
12-23-2006, 11:12 PM
haha well jack, spare tire is already out... lol i tend to drive a lot of ppl around so i kinda need the rear seats and headrests ><!! hahaha photocopying the manual.. wont all that paper weigh more?!! and stereo, AC.. i need!! i paid extra for those!!

graywolf_14
12-24-2006, 03:33 AM
Yeah I have 2 kids so I need the back seat and I drive 72 miles a day to work and cant afford not to have a spare. Shoot I will probley even get a full size if I end up buying a yaris. I agree that lightning a car is always good but not if it stuff that is needed or could b. You could always try your hand at fiberglass....

eco
12-24-2006, 04:42 AM
I never said take out the jack stand,and I meant copy only the pages from the manual that you needed,maybe 3 pages,that weighs nothing compared to the manual.

Tamago
12-24-2006, 05:37 AM
You could always try your hand at fiberglass....

fiberglas is heavy.

graywolf_14
12-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Um not as heavy as metal but I ment carbon fiber anyways my bad.

Tamago
12-24-2006, 03:53 PM
if you want it strong it's heavier than metal (fiberglas, not CF)

dngz
12-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I never said take out the jack stand,and I meant copy only the pages from the manual that you needed,maybe 3 pages,that weighs nothing compared to the manual.

well if i took out the spare tire, i mite as well take out the jack stand =P!! i wouldnt mind getting a CF hood, roof, and trunk though.. thatd be sweeeeet...

graywolf_14
12-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Yeah I wish I had 1k to spend on a hood that would be sweet.

spkrman
12-25-2006, 02:41 PM
well if i took out the spare tire, i mite as well take out the jack stand =P!! i wouldnt mind getting a CF hood, roof, and trunk though.. thatd be sweeeeet...

hood/roof/trunk would be AWESOME on your car :cool:

03Z33
12-25-2006, 06:02 PM
I believe somebody already mentioned the battery... I replaced my stock battery with an Odyssey PC680MJ for $80 and saved 22lbs.

You may also consider some drivetrain upgrades such as LSD and clutch/flywheel. They won't help you gain power, but will be a lot more noticeable in day to day driving as well as help you put power down to the ground :thumbsup:

Chris07LB
12-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Where did you find those battery's for the best price? Im looking for 3, instead of going the Red top route.. thanks

03Z33
12-25-2006, 06:43 PM
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Make sure you specify "MJ" for metal jacket at the end of the part number for automotive use. I use the PC680MJ and it's a direct replacement, just needs a small block of 2x4 wood on top to make up for the height difference since the stock battery is taller. I'll snap some pics soon.

eTiMaGo
12-25-2006, 11:31 PM
You may also consider some drivetrain upgrades such as LSD and clutch/flywheel.

Not to sound too much like a n00b, but what would be the effect of a LSD on the handling of the car? From what I can understand, would it not create understeer when accelerating in a curve?

Tamago
12-25-2006, 11:34 PM
accelerating in a curve creates understeer to begin with as you're shifting weight away from the wheels that steer.

understeer allows you to put down more power in a tight corner. trust me, an LSD would be one helluva mod on a car this light, especially if you've added a stiffer front swaybar.

03Z33
12-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Best way to describe it, is you ever step on the gas pedal "too early" coming out of a tighter turn and notice one of the tires starts slipping? An LSD will prevent that by sending more torque to the other tire that has grip allowing you to "pull" through the turn. It makes a night and day difference and is by far one of the most noticeable improvements you can make to any car!

eTiMaGo
12-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Best way to describe it, is you ever step on the gas pedal "too early" coming out of a tighter turn and notice one of the tires starts slipping? An LSD will prevent that by sending more torque to the other tire that has grip allowing you to "pull" through the turn. It makes a night and day difference and is by far one of the most noticeable improvements you can make to any car!

Hmmmmm most interesting, I shall have to add that to my "to-do" list :wink:

03Z33
12-25-2006, 11:55 PM
:thumbsup: For sure! If there's interest I can look into organizing a group buy... KAAZ make the best LSD for our cars and have plenty in stock here in California. I'm just saving up a little more, since I want to change clutch, flywheel, and final drive all at the same time.

eTiMaGo
12-26-2006, 02:43 AM
hmmm OK... what's an estimated price for that? I'll have to look into the TRD LSD as well, as it would be more readily available here.

03Z33
12-26-2006, 03:02 AM
The TRD and KAAZ units are both very similar, in that they are both 1.5 way mechanical LSDs with clutch packs. The KAAZ unit has more plates (also larger) for better lock and is adjustable from 60-100% lock.

TRD LSD part #41301-AW004 $945US Retail (not available in USA)
http://www.trdparts.jp/parts_lsd_mechanical.html

KAAZ LSD part #DBT1621 $925US Retail (In stock, available in Japan and USA)
http://www.kaazonline.com/dbt16211.html ($832.50 sale price direct from KAAZ)

www.kaazusa.com
www.trdparts.jp

eTiMaGo
12-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Ok cool... I'll ahve to check how much the TRD distributor here wants for it, and the shipping costs for the KAAZ one... We'll see :biggrin:

03Z33
12-26-2006, 03:09 AM
Please let us know if you can get the TRD ones... It would be great to have a reliable source for those too :wink: