PDA

View Full Version : upgrading the factory sounds

acrbill
12-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Any advice on how I can upgrade the sound of the stock radio? I really don't like aftermarket radios but the factory stuff just doesn't sound great. Without adding sub or super expensive speakers what can I do?

When I installed my power locks I noticed that the door speakers where junk. They barely weighed anything since the magnet so so small.

If I upgrade the speakers should I upgrade the wiring? I don't want to add a ton of weight to the car either.

bigsky2
12-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Get new speakers and you will notice an immediate improvement.

The stock radio is acceptable, but even if you pair it with $400 speakers, it won't sound any better.

As for wiring, you don't need to upgrade the wiring if you were to replace just the speakers.

acrbill
12-22-2006, 03:10 PM
what size speakers? Are they all 6.5"? On crutchfield they have "component systems" that come with little tweeter looking speakers. Is that something I should look into? Or should I just replace what I currently have?

bigsky2
12-22-2006, 03:33 PM
3DR Hatch utilizes 6.5" speakers up front, and 5.25" speakers in the rear.

Some people have used 6.5" in the rear with the help of a spacer/bracket.

If you don't plan on replacing the stock head unit, then I do not suggest getting component systems. Component speakers only come to life when you power them with an external power amplifier. IMHO, it would be sort of a waste to have components powered off the head unit.

I suggest looking at 6.5 and 5.25 coaxial speakers which would be affordable and ideal for your current needs.

You will need a spacer/bracket for your setup.

There's a couple options here:

1 - Get a Scosche SAT-6 bracket. This is a plastic bracket adapter that will allow you install a 6.5" speaker to the front door.

2 - Make your own spacer/bracket adapter. I created a template for spacers for the Hatchback front/rear using 6.5" and 5.25" sizes.

Spacer Templates Here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1930

You would need to know the mounting diameter of the new speaker, and you would trace that on the spacer template. Cut the template with a bandsaw and router, finish it off with some sanding and a coat of resin/paint you are good to go.

If you don't plan on installing the speakers yourself, bring the template to an audio shop and they can fabricate the spacers and install the speakers for you.

3 - Gut the old speakers and use the remaining "frame" as a bracket.