PDA

View Full Version : Hello, question about K&N Typhoon

b0xer
11-01-2010, 06:34 AM
i have Toyota Yaris 1.5 T-Sport 2003,
right now i have the stock air filter intake,
i want to swap it to k&n typhoon, but i want to verify first with the forum :) if this air intake kit is good ..

waiting for your answer,
thx alot,
Elad.

ilikerice
11-01-2010, 11:50 AM
let me just add one thing. i will have my dyno graph up later today or tomorrow. BUT, i just want to let you know what i found. i did a dyno on my stock 2010 LB. after that, i installed a cold air intake from AEM and dyno'ed it again. i may have gained 2 hp. i am not impressed one bit in the hp that these produce in these little 1.5L. but i will say that the sound this thing puts out from under the hood sounds really aggressive and that is really the only reason id keep the CAI in this car. if i was just looking for the performance, i personally would go with just the K&N replacement filter, block off that opening that leads above the radiator, and make a hole and some sort of external plumbing leading toward the front left fog lamp.

this is my opinion. others may argue

why?
11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
let me just add one thing. i will have my dyno graph up later today or tomorrow. BUT, i just want to let you know what i found. i did a dyno on my stock 2010 LB. after that, i installed a cold air intake from AEM and dyno'ed it again. i may have gained 2 hp. i am not impressed one bit in the hp that these produce in these little 1.5L. but i will say that the sound this thing puts out from under the hood sounds really aggressive and that is really the only reason id keep the CAI in this car. if i was just looking for the performance, i personally would go with just the K&N replacement filter, block off that opening that leads above the radiator, and make a hole and some sort of external plumbing leading toward the front left fog lamp.

this is my opinion. others may argue

what other mods do you have to your car? If it is just this one, no it will not add much. But cooperatively with other mods, the sum is greater than each of the parts.

ilikerice
11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
what other mods do you have to your car? If it is just this one, no it will not add much. But cooperatively with other mods, the sum is greater than each of the parts

yea, of course this is true. the only added thing i did was the 10% underdrive pulley kit that i had already installed after my dyno a few weeks ago using a dyno dynamics. but most people usually only put a CAI and not do headers or straight pipe. so i am on a little project to see the difference in added mods over time effect hp. just putting on a CAI really does nothing. i was lucky enough to buy an AEM piping off a guy on craigslist for 50 dollars, and ordered the AEM cone filter for another 50 bucks. just saying the mod itself really wasnt worth any performance without spending alot more on 300 headers, another 200 for midpiping and 300 more for axle back exhaust. the headers will be my next purchase and then ill do another dyno.