PDA

View Full Version : Who plans on trading for a 2012? (Liftback)

Kal-El
11-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I know it's still early and details of the new model have not been released outside of these early photos (Liftback), but who is planning on trading either for a 2012 or even waiting for the 2nd year, 2013?

This decision is basically from what we know now, which is limited.

But I figured it would be fun to see initial thoughts in a poll.

Unfortunately, those interested only in the sedan (myself) have to wait longer.

:smile:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKoQsm1ej5I/AAAAAAAATrA/TGLuXtxShxA/s400/001.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/TKoQsGa72hI/AAAAAAAATq4/13WMYY96_1k/s400/002.jpg
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37977&stc=1&d=1288726311

WeeYari
11-02-2010, 03:10 PM
No f'n way!

If that is truly what is in store, then one of my primary reason for getting my '06 no longer remains. That reason being the styling used to stand alone. It looked like nothing else on the road. Gone is the unique looks inherent in the current gen.

Kal-El
11-02-2010, 04:19 PM
If the poll results don't turn around, Toyota, specifically the Yaris, is in trouble.

It will have to depend on new buyers.

Astroman
11-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I love the style of my '07. The new one looks to "versa" although a *few* things I like, not too many. I hate car payments so when this one is paid off, I'm not getting another one until this one DIES.

33OH
11-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I love the style of my '07. The new one looks to "versa" although a *few* things I like, not too many. I hate car payments so when this one is paid off, I'm not getting another one until this one DIES.

+1 exactly. :cool:

Well maybe change '07 to '08 since I have an '08.. :biggrin:

JumpmanYaris
11-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Non of the above.

ryota
11-02-2010, 10:14 PM
i personally think anything after the 08 is a small step downhill... but the 12... now way in hell!

.Kevin.
11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Hopefully getting a tacoma truck

Kal-El
11-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Non of the above.

Describe your case. :smile:

JumpmanYaris
11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
^There isnt a sedan option lol:biggrin:

Kal-El
11-02-2010, 11:35 PM
^There isnt a sedan option lol:biggrin:

Of course, lol :tongue:

Same reason I'm not voting in my own poll.

But since there's not even a spy photo of the next sedan, it can't be included here. It's killing me waiting for the new sedan.

NinjaPirate
11-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Oh hell no. ugly ugly ugly. Too much squarey-ness in the wrong places. Not even if they offer it in that pink colour! I like that pink.

If I have enough money, when my warranty runs out in 2013 I might trade for a Rukus (Aussie name for Scion xB lol) if they are still being sold new here.

Otherwise just keep Yaris til something really worth buying comes along.

why?
11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
i already have a yaris, why would i want to spend money on another one? Makes no sense, even if that ugly thing was attractive, there is zero reason to get it. 1 economy car is enough.

Kal-El
11-03-2010, 10:47 AM
i already have a yaris, why would i want to spend money on another one? Makes no sense, even if that ugly thing was attractive, there is zero reason to get it. 1 economy car is enough.

The question is, do you plan to TRADE your current Yaris for the new one.

Few people would own both.

It seems that most of us are keeping the Yaris for the long haul, myself included. But a large percentage of people trade up every 3-5 years. So this is a reasonable question.

Clearly, Toyota is going to have to hope for new customers (from other brands and models) if they expect the new Yaris to sell. This is showing that current Yaris owners aren't enthusiastic about the new one.

Klink10
11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Personally I think that 07 was the year. If I get rid of mine it will be for a Mazda Miata or a small truck that I can double for a wheelbarrow and bike hauler.

why?
11-03-2010, 09:57 PM
The question is, do you plan to TRADE your current Yaris for the new one.

Few people would own both.

It seems that most of us are keeping the Yaris for the long haul, myself included. But a large percentage of people trade up every 3-5 years. So this is a reasonable question.

Clearly, Toyota is going to have to hope for new customers (from other brands and models) if they expect the new Yaris to sell. This is showing that current Yaris owners aren't enthusiastic about the new one.

That sounds like such a waste of money. The unfettered masses will learn they cannot do that with the way our economy currently is.

There is a reason though why the Yaris' sales is slowing down so dramatically. The real question will be how will it compete with the current much more numerous and much better competition than what they had when the Yaris first came to our shores in 2006.

wooverstone8
11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm not planning on trading in the Yaris anytime soon unless I have more issues with the car. Plus I'm little hesitant about buying a brand new redesigned car for fact that it may take a year or two to get the bugs (problems) out...

Kal-El
11-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Just thought of another scenario not listed in the poll. Who would buy the new model in the event that they total their current Yaris?

:tongue:

Betrivent
11-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Why is it that nobody considers an 06 a "current gen"?

Kal-El
11-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Why is it that nobody considers an 06 a "current gen"?

For America, we didn't get the Yaris until '07. No such thing as an '06 Yaris over here.

tomato
11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I only have 60K miles on my Yaris so there is no reason to trade. For me, this is very low mileage. And if I can believe what I see under the hood, my Yaris completely agrees :biggrin: :biggrin:

Kal-El
11-04-2010, 02:33 PM
I think generally, we economy car owners are a different breed when it comes to keeping our cars. We buy cars with the intention of running them into the ground.

When I mentioned earlier that a good portion of the population trades up every 3-5 years, it seems that becomes more true the more upmarket you go.

Mid level car owners ($25K-$30K est.) probably average 5-7 years. Higher end owners probably average 3-5. Which is a good reason why more expensive cars are leased about 50% of the time, while economy cars are usually purchased.

Naturally, a lot of it comes down to our economic situations, and in other cases our basic beliefs about cars and other goods. Many of us see that it's a waste of money to always drive new.

Most of us got the Yaris, in part, because we new it would be reliable transportation for over 10 years, 200,000 miles.

Flipper_1938
11-04-2010, 03:04 PM
!

Betrivent
11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
For America, we didn't get the Yaris until '07. No such thing as an '06 Yaris over here.

Oh man, it all makes sense now. Thanks! I was wondering why nobody listed an 06 yaris as compatible with stuff, even though they're all almost idential

*MAD DOG*
11-04-2010, 08:25 PM
The styling went downhill after 07, the 12 looks like an ugly cross between a Yaris and a Civic. I don't plan on getting rid of my Yaris as I had cruise control and a NST Crank Lite Pulley installed.

I plan on paying the car off then with all the car repayments I wont have to make i'll get rid of my credit card.

jeikz
11-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I'd seriously be annoyed with the interior, it looks too generic, totally lacking in any funky design flare that the Echo/Yaris is renowned for, plus I love having multiple cubby hole/storage compartments for my little knick-knacks, Oh the end of the central mounted instruments is abit sucky too.

cali yaris
11-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I'll be keeping mine.... well, I kind of have to at this point. :laugh:

Kal-El
11-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I'll be keeping mine.... well, I kind of have to at this point. :laugh:

LOL!

What, you don't want to do it all over again? :tongue:

LA Yaris
11-04-2010, 11:21 PM
:thumbup:

kimona
11-06-2010, 11:03 AM
It looks like a Matrix and the Honda Fit, two cars I think are bloody ugly!

If I needed a new car, I don't think I'd go with the new design Yaris HB; it's lost most of it's appeal as far as I'm concerned. I'd probably go with an Scion Xd... and quickly shave the stupid Scion badges in favour of Toyota ist.

EDIT: BTW, why is that A-shaped rear pillar becoming so popular? Just doesn't look right to me on any car.

JBougie
11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I am SO glad that I had to get a new one when I did ... I love my 2010 (more than my 07, even ... but that's because I have fallen completely in love with the LB) and I really, really don't like anything about the 2012. Well, the interior looks kinda cool - but it doesn't look as functional as the current gen.

Bad move, Toyota ... bad move ...

donchae
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
that looks like a combined Nissan Versa, Matrix, Prius, and Honda Fit. it looks very boxy.

the first and second generations give the yaris it's unique look..

Thirty-Nine
11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Not such a fan, at least of those pics. I'll reserve judgement until I see better photos, and then the real deal.

BailOut
11-09-2010, 07:51 PM
We have two paid-for Toyotas in the garage. Other than perhaps an electric motorcycle in 2012 for a 7-month commuter, which has been a desire of mine for a long time, I don't see us buying any other vehicles for a long, long, time.

STC
11-10-2010, 08:52 AM
I plan to keep my Yaris for quite sometime! I will be averaging around 10,000 - 12,000 miles a year. Presently, 11 months old @ 9,200 miles.

I plan to keep around 10 - 15 years or 120,000 - 180,000 miles. All considered if my work commute stays the same? I'm still gainfully employed and somewhat stable? But, who knows... maybe I might be forced to travel long distances to find non-existing work if the economy continues at its rate? :iono:

Good news is at least I will be debt free in less than a year... :smile: Except my house which use to be 'good' debt... :frown: Anyone who has debt, really try to get it down. Holding debt today is suicide for these uncertain times ahead of us!

Cheers!

1stToyota
11-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Good advice. :thumbsup:
I should be debt free, or close enough for me, in about 2 weeks. The only outstanding debt I'll have is 1 more year on the Yaris, but those payments are dirt cheap, imo, and as much as I'd like having a new Fiat or Smart it'd be a dumb decision.
Feels great not having a house payment, business loan and CC bills every month. Only thing I didn't plan for was being unemployed for the last 3+ months, but I'd rather face that instead of going back in debt buying another business. Don't know what it means to not be self-employed, but hopefully I'll be finding that out @ 1:00 pm today; cleared the first 2 hurdles and I'm being called in to sign some papers, so maybe that means I got the job! :smile:

edit: Actually, while I was at it, I decided to pay off the Yaris while I was paying off all the CCs ...and I got the job :D

Vioz
11-10-2010, 01:10 PM
I like the front but not the rear wish it was altered differently, looks more aggressive than than the current gen, I'll probably end up getting it when I do trade in my yaris, really want a manual

Yaristeve
11-11-2010, 11:59 AM
In 2013 or 2014 I plan on buying the Toyota/Subaru FT86A. Hope they don't decide to shelve it...

I don't plan on getting rid of my '11. I will keep it until it dies like all my cars.

why?
11-12-2010, 01:00 AM
In 2013 or 2014 I plan on buying the Toyota/Subaru FT86A. Hope they don't decide to shelve it...

I don't plan on getting rid of my '11. I will keep it until it dies like all my cars.

they'll still be milking every bit of development time out of it then. I see the car being released in 2020.

birdman
11-30-2010, 09:04 PM
If that's the best Toyota can come up with it would have to have the 84 mpg clean diesels and telescopic steering wheel they currently sell on Euro spec Yaris models before I'd buy one. No matter what the future Yaris models look like there will always be cool enhancement mods popping up.

KrazyDawg
12-01-2010, 11:43 AM
i personally think anything after the 08 is a small step downhill... but the 12... now way in hell!
I have an 08 but the 09 and 10 come with standard safety features such as side air bags. They should be a standard and not an option. I'm not sure about the 09 but 10 and up have ESC. In my opinion, all car manufacturers should work towards including the same safety features Toyota has implemented. Safety is improving without taking a hit on MPG.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-features-star-safety-system-160022.aspx

KrazyDawg
12-01-2010, 11:49 AM
When my Echo had 145,000 miles on it, I went and looked at a Fit Sport. I went so far as to run the numbers. They offered me $1,400 for my Echo.

It was too good of a car to just give away. So, I kept it and drove the hell out of it. It had 318,000 miles on it when I got hit head on. 173,000 miles on a $1400 car ain't bad. :smile:

I plan on putting at least 500,000 on my new Yaris.
If you kept track of maintenance, how much did you spend over the additional 173k miles. I try to keep track of all expenses except parking meters in an excel spreadsheet. I have maintenance, upgrades, gas, and insurance added on so I can figure out how much I'm spending.

I attached two spreadsheets from maintaining a prior vehicle and a current vehicle to give you an idea.

firemachine69
12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm planning on trading my '07 HB for a similar-year Suburban... Once gas hits $1.40 a liter and the dealers are desperately trying to off-load them. :evil:

Kal-El
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm planning on trading my '07 HB for a similar-year Suburban... Once gas hits $1.40 a liter and the dealers are desperately trying to off-load them. :evil:

You're going to be waiting a while.

TwoBearWisconsin
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
It looks ok... but I like my current Yaris. Not one problem with it so far, so no reason to be getting rid of it.

If anything, I'm interested in the Scion iQ when it gets here. I like SMALL cars!

47_MasoN_47
12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm planning to keep my Yaris for a MINIMUM of 10 years, unless something strange happens and I suddenly become a multi-millionaire.

Yaris240
12-12-2010, 10:40 AM
My 2010 hatchback has only 2300 miles on it. I do about 4000 city miles a year. So I plan on keeping mine a long time. I have had my 1990 Celica for 20+ years. If my 2010 Yaris is totalled or stolen, Then I would definitely buy the new 2012 Yaris, assuming it is still made in Japan.

frownonfun
12-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I always thought my 09 was a tad less aesthetically pleasing than the earlier models but now that these new ones are coming out I don't feel so bad. If anything I'll trade for a celica or ft-86... someday.

yarisdude447
12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Not for at least a few more years. It hurts the wallet to keep switching to every new car that comes out.

Steve L.
12-18-2010, 01:02 AM
I plan to keep my Yaris for at least 10 years. It would be nice to pay if off and not have any car payments. I have had a car payment for over 20 years. I had about 14 different cars in my life. I want to see how many miles I can put on my Yaris. I have confidence the the car will go a long way. So far so good. It drives great!!!

padre1964
12-18-2010, 07:20 AM
sticking with my 09 hb for quite a while. its paid for, reliable, fun to drive, and crazy fuel efficient. plus the new one looks like the butt of a versa as stated earlier. yuk!

conkereye
12-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Our 07 yaris looks the mutz nutz , this looks too spacey like the honda civic.

SilverBack
12-18-2010, 07:57 PM
^What he said. Sorry, but redesigns do nothing for me in the long run. I'm at a point in my life now where the main focus is on value and substance, and not the typical American impulse-buying to gain fake status.

With that said I can tell you mine's been very useful and just as easy to maintain, so I refuse to hand it off until my situation changes to where I genuinely need something bigger and/or better. In the meantime it stays with me until one of us drops dead.

swidd
12-20-2010, 06:02 PM
IMO the Yaris, as well as many other subcompacts, are overpriced for what it is in comparison to other cars.

When you spend 12-14,000 on a car... the difference in payment if you go up to a 14-17,000car is totally justified by the immensely better cars sold for only a little bit more - and features you'd pay extra for on Yaris is standard on all other cars.

why?
12-20-2010, 09:06 PM
IMO the Yaris, as well as many other subcompacts, are overpriced for what it is in comparison to other cars.

When you spend 12-14,000 on a car... the difference in payment if you go up to a 14-17,000car is totally justified by the immensely better cars sold for only a little bit more - and features you'd pay extra for on Yaris is standard on all other cars.

I totally disagree. For what the yaris offers, there really isn't anything that can beat it. It is among the best in fuel economy, it is much less expensive to purchase and maintain than a hybrid, and the really good features and add ons generally don't start until you are willing to pay around $30k for a car.

fnkngrv
12-20-2010, 11:31 PM

You really need to remember that the cost difference between different regions of the country are dramatically skewed. Case in point is that up in Maine where I am from you wouldn't find a base Corolla (some people's favorite comparison) for less than 19k for the 07 model year. A well equipped one was around 22/23k. They had the LB for around 13k and the sedan was 15k which was to be expected. Now when I hear that people are spending 18k on an LB for a 2010 I think that is well above the line of what the car is worth especially for a two door car that is not a sports car.

The 2012 LB to me is a MAJOR disappointment aesthetically. I sincerely hope that they do not butcher the Vios in the same manner. If they do then it will show that rather than leading the way Toyota is resorting to do what every other up and coming manufacturer has been doing which is stealing deigns and concepts. As previously noted by others, that car being shown is a mashup of what is already out there. A shame really.

KrazyDawg
12-21-2010, 10:58 AM

What features are you talking about? I think certain safety features should be required on all cars e.g. side air bags, ABS, ESC, defrosting side mirrors (premium option?), projector lights (premium option?) My 2008 model doesn't have any of these but I know the 2010 has side air bags, ABS, and ESC on the base model.

Features for convenience like cruise control, power windows, power locks, etc. are nice to have and it's built into the Fit but not on the Yaris by the base model. Built-in GPS, bluetooth, and satellite options are nice to have but something most people don't need as standard equipment.

why?
12-21-2010, 11:10 AM
What features are you talking about? I think certain safety features should be required on all cars e.g. side air bags, ABS, ESC, defrosting side mirrors (premium option?), projector lights (premium option?) My 2008 model doesn't have any of these but I know the 2010 has side air bags, ABS, and ESC on the base model.

Features for convenience like cruise control, power windows, power locks, etc. are nice to have and it's built into the Fit but not on the Yaris by the base model. Built-in GPS, bluetooth, and satellite options are nice to have but something most people don't need as standard equipment.

i emphatically disagree with mandating anything for a vehicle. They only add unnecessary cost, complexity, and weight, and 99.99% of the time don't add anything to the car.

I think they could be options, but no way should they be a must have.

air bags won't help 99% of vehicles ever, and even in actual accidents, the number of times they help is slim, especially when you realize they have injured and murdered people.

Traction control of any type is stupid. It is just another nanny because people choose not to learn to drive.

The problem we have is modern cars are far too weighted down by "mandatory" garbage that doesn't do anything but add to the weight of the vehicle, thereby hurting gas mileage, handling, acceleration, and pretty much everything else.

Actually forcing people to learn to drive would be a million times better than mandating anything.

eht13
12-21-2010, 12:05 PM
I like the look of the new hatchback in these pics... as I've said, I'm curious to see what the new sedan will look like too. Having said that, though, my vote (this was a poll thread, after all) reflected the fact that when I do trade my Yaris in at some point, it will probably be for a larger sedan... probably either a new Camry (an LE with alloys or an SE) or Accord (probably EX).

frownonfun
12-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Actually forcing people to learn to drive would be a million times better than mandating anything.

I could not agree more. I was essentially licensed to drive through a junior high football coach. Sad really. Driver's Education should be a much bigger deal than it is.

bankrobber
12-31-2010, 12:23 PM
I plan to keep my Yaris for quite sometime! I will be averaging around 10,000 - 12,000 miles a year. Presently, 11 months old @ 9,200 miles.

I plan to keep around 10 - 15 years or 120,000 - 180,000 miles. All considered if my work commute stays the same? I'm still gainfully employed and somewhat stable? But, who knows... maybe I might be forced to travel long distances to find non-existing work if the economy continues at its rate? :iono:

Good news is at least I will be debt free in less than a year... :smile: Except my house which use to be 'good' debt... :frown: Anyone who has debt, really try to get it down. Holding debt today is suicide for these uncertain times ahead of us!

Cheers!

Good advice on debt free. I am totally debt free including house,cars.
It took me awhile. Best way I found to do was by living like a bum.
Clipped every coupon I could use. Always looked for cheaper things,ways to do things. Since becoming debt free I seem to have less money with kids and doctors visits, braces,

bankrobber
12-31-2010, 12:33 PM
I have hit 100,000 miles on my 2007 and plan to keep as long as it is road worthy.
I do like the interior of the new style much better. I still hate my spedo in the center.
My yaris needs to hit 140,000 miles to break even for the cost. Just the gas savings from my Dodge Ram will pay for the car alone at 140,000. The rest is where the Yaris will make me money. After I retire it I will turn it into a stock car at the local track:burnrubber:

daf62757
01-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Shame they are going to a radical new design. One of the enduring features that I really love about the car is the center mount speedometer. I really struggle with buying a new car. I would love to get a Toyota FJ or a Tundra, but I am so cheap, I would drive it a week and then trade in back in for another Yaris or Prius for the gas mileage. With gas going over 3 bucks a gallon, the Yaris just keeps on proving to be a wonderful transportation choice.

One car that I am very interested in is the IQ. It gets even better mileage than the Yaris and I love the mini cars. If it is just as roomy as the Yaris, that might make me get one.

daf62757
01-01-2011, 01:03 PM
i emphatically disagree with mandating anything for a vehicle. They only add unnecessary cost, complexity, and weight, and 99.99% of the time don't add anything to the car.

I think they could be options, but no way should they be a must have.

air bags won't help 99% of vehicles ever, and even in actual accidents, the number of times they help is slim, especially when you realize they have injured and murdered people.

Traction control of any type is stupid. It is just another nanny because people choose not to learn to drive.

The problem we have is modern cars are far too weighted down by "mandatory" garbage that doesn't do anything but add to the weight of the vehicle, thereby hurting gas mileage, handling, acceleration, and pretty much everything else.

I agree. I just wish some of those options were available on all cars. Defrosting side mirrors are wonderful and I would pay for that option.

Teaching all to drive? What a wonderful concept. The problem is that too many people are just plain dumb. Take driving in the snow. Every year, after the first major snow storm, you see some idiots who forgot that a car on ice can't stop. They think 4 wheel drive makes their vehicle capable to operate in the snow. It makes it drive, but it still has to live with the same law of physics that the rest of us live under.

roxy1
01-02-2011, 08:30 PM
One car that I am very interested in is the IQ. It gets even better mileage than the Yaris and I love the mini cars. If it is just as roomy as the Yaris, that might make me get one.

it does not have near the room in the back. im intrigued too, but ill have to see what the mileage will be in the n. american version.

daf62757
01-03-2011, 06:54 PM
it does not have near the room in the back. im intrigued too, but ill have to see what the mileage will be in the n. american version.

Since I drive 99 per cent of the time alone, I am only concerned with the roominess of the front seats. As for mileage, I have heard....heard mind you...it gets around 60 MPG highway....which is a winner for my purposes.

slow.yaris
01-03-2011, 09:46 PM

Oh boy. Do you actually believe that?

Can you teach me how to brake with just one wheel? thanks. Sorry for not learning this earlier.

ECHOKnight2000
01-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Since I drive 99 per cent of the time alone, I am only concerned with the roominess of the front seats. As for mileage, I have heard....heard mind you...it gets around 60 MPG highway....which is a winner for my purposes.

not to burst bubbles but I highly doubt the USDM version will get that. I might be wrong but I have this feeling no. Just because they will tune it more for the U.S. So power vs mpg. Yes it will no doubt get good mileage but highly doubt that high for the U.S. spec. Sorta like the Smart, they compromised for more power for the U.S. version, hence why it doesn't get as good as people expected for a such a small car with a small engine. :thumbsup:

birdman
01-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Sometime in 2011 the 2012 Fiat 500s are coming with 4 door variant to follow. I may trade in my LB then.

ECHOKnight2000
01-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Sometime in 2011 the 2012 Fiat 500s are coming with 4 door variant to follow. I may trade in my LB then.

Yeah, i'm interested in the Fiat 500. Chick magnent. :laugh:

ItalianYaris
01-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Well, this thread really got off topic now! LOL. Fiats 500's? might be a chick magnet, but it will never have the reliability of a Toyota, is way smaller than the Yaris when it comes to interior space, in reality, the only part thats worth about the car is the Engine, which im not sure if you are getting it in the USA, which is the 1.0 3 cyl. engine which are great! And besides, the engine choices in the new yaris seem quite promising and super economical, and there is even an AWD? I will be looking into the new RS model again when it comes out here in Europe, and hopefully it has the option of AWD.

sleey0
01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Looks like a Fit.

Just my .02:)

ECHOKnight2000
01-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Well, this thread really got off topic now! LOL. Fiats 500's? might be a chick magnet, but it will never have the reliability of a Toyota, is way smaller than the Yaris when it comes to interior space, in reality, the only part thats worth about the car is the Engine, which im not sure if you are getting it in the USA, which is the 1.0 3 cyl. engine which are great! And besides, the engine choices in the new yaris seem quite promising and super economical, and there is even an AWD? I will be looking into the new RS model again when it comes out here in Europe, and hopefully it has the option of AWD.

The 500 is a different market sort to say. Aimed at a different market. its a boutique brand, sorta like MINI and Smart. yeah it competes with the Yaris on some levels but its more of a nostolgic and heritage. yeah its smaller but I still like it.

I know for Europe you guys get better options. The U.S. we get watered down models. I think we'll get the same 1.5ltr. Although we are getting the iQ with a smaller engine.

ItalianYaris
01-18-2011, 03:40 AM
The 500 is a different market sort to say. Aimed at a different market. its a boutique brand, sorta like MINI and Smart. yeah it competes with the Yaris on some levels but its more of a nostolgic and heritage. yeah its smaller but I still like it.

I know for Europe you guys get better options. The U.S. we get watered down models. I think we'll get the same 1.5ltr. Although we are getting the iQ with a smaller engine.

I totally agree. Here in Europe, the 500 is more likely to be compared to the toyota Aygo, which is an amazing little car. Are you really getting the iQ with a smaller engine? here it comes with a 1.0 and a 1.3?
The problem is mainly that small cars are still not very popular in the USA... I was talking to a friend of mine the other day (he lives in Boston), the fact about the US not getting the 1.8 Yaris, you got the corolla over there with the same engine, and i would never see at this point in time really, someone spending 22,000 Euros on a Yaris when they can buy a Corolla for cheaper. Sad but True. I like the 500, there is positive history behind it, (my father even had one) but I dont believe it is a car that can be in any way compared to the Yaris. But I guess in the US, there arent many options really, and you have to do with what you got. Here in Europe is totally the opposite, way to many options, LOL..:thumbup:

ECHOKnight2000
01-19-2011, 11:38 PM
I totally agree. Here in Europe, the 500 is more likely to be compared to the toyota Aygo, which is an amazing little car. Are you really getting the iQ with a smaller engine? here it comes with a 1.0 and a 1.3?
The problem is mainly that small cars are still not very popular in the USA... I was talking to a friend of mine the other day (he lives in Boston), the fact about the US not getting the 1.8 Yaris, you got the corolla over there with the same engine, and i would never see at this point in time really, someone spending 22,000 Euros on a Yaris when they can buy a Corolla for cheaper. Sad but True. I like the 500, there is positive history behind it, (my father even had one) but I dont believe it is a car that can be in any way compared to the Yaris. But I guess in the US, there arent many options really, and you have to do with what you got. Here in Europe is totally the opposite, way to many options, LOL..:thumbup:

LOL, well I meant smaller than what we have. We get the 1.5ltr, from my understanding we will get the 1.3ltr. I don't know how much it gets in Europe, but I'm guessing it will be tuned to have more power, probably in the neighborhood of 100hp or so. not far off from the 1.5ltr Yaris. You are correct, there is no market for a 1.8ltr Yaris, although I'm sure a lot of people on here would clamor for it, but we're a very small market. Americans associate size of the car with price. Its space vs costs. So if they can get a Matrix (U.S.) for the same price and more space, why pay the same money for a smaller car? Its that mentality, its not bad but its certainly not fair in some respects of being open minded.

You hit it on the head. America and other places but America is certainly a different mentality. Different culture. Also consider geographical situations, where's Europe and Asia is more crowded and living area is more precious. Plus you guys get taxed a lot on gas and sales of cars. So people are inclined to get smaller cars there too. Its starting to change in the U.S. but as long as gas is cheap small cars will stay at the bottom. i'd say the MINI is an exception of premium small car. Last I heard the U.S. is the biggest market for MINI. how ironic! But I know it sells based on heritage, name and of course driving dynamics.

So yeah, small cars arent' as popular so we don't get as much choice. But GM, Ford, Hyundai are coming out with new small cars (new gen models). We'll see!!:thumbsup:

daddz07
02-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Me too!! I will not sell or get rid of my Yaris 08 even if its 15-20 yrs old as long as it runs. I even both my wife the saem car i have but 2009 model. Now we both have the same car and i ask her she can go with the meet and greet plans with Yaris world.

I finally get rid of the highlander. Too much gas spent!! yAris all the way. But not the 2012 model.

PumpkinSteve
02-24-2011, 03:21 PM
If the new Yaris offers a good engine, something similar to the dual VVTI 1.8 from the Yaris SR, then I will buy. But at the moment I'm torn between the 2012 Swift Sport and the 2012 Yaris.

racerb
02-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Looking to buy my first Yaris this year, but it's going to be '07-'08 model, newer ones have too many electrionic grannies controlling traction, throttle, and braking for my likeing. I'll stick with the good ol' human controlled version for now.

TwoBearWisconsin
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
From what I can see on-line, I like the new one just fine, but I'm not in the market for a new car. Plus, my 2010 has some features - center mounted gauges and multiple glove boxes - that I would miss if I got the new one.

mrrock
03-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm keeping my 07 HB. I first fell for the design! but have made mods to make it drive how I like it. I would hope someone would correct me, but my understanding has been that this first Gen car was designed in Europe and subsequesnt design changes have been made in Japan. this would explain the appeal of the orginal design....change that to correct original design.
the newer design coming looks like a blend of ideas and becomes very bland and generic. the back pillar does not even fit with the design of the front.
the inside dash has become bland and very plastic looking.
I would definitely look elsewhere when it's time for a new car.

sbergman27
04-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Honestly, the only car that I don't already have that attracts my attention is the 2000-2006 Honda Insight: http://pplumeblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/honda_insight.jpeg

61 city/70 hwy mpg EPA rating for the 5 spd manual. And designed for my kind of traveling. (Just me, my dog, and, and our luggage.) It's just perfect. And the only car in ever sold in the US that gets better fuel economy than the one I travel in now.

-Steve

end user
04-11-2011, 02:48 PM
I just go my 2011 Yaris and if it looked like the 2012 I'd pass. The current design looks the best out of all the econoboxes out there. I hate the edgy spaceship designs. They all look the same....

umarperkucing
05-06-2011, 08:48 AM
damn angry yaris is scary.

i m not really sure about which one are better looking, but im sure will miss all that glove box that old yaris have. though i wish toyota can provide cheap upgrading for us who want to keep our yaris

CL4C
05-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I am keeping mine, simply because I've paid a lump sum on the car and I want to maximize its use. As for the look, I do agree that the 06/07 model is cute and unique.

solarVitz
05-10-2011, 11:48 PM
no thanks. im keeping my 08 LiftBack S for a very longgggg time.

SKurj
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Keeping my 09 another 3-4 years then buying the FT if its financially within reach. Only reason I just bought the 09 was because my 04 Echo already had 260,000kms on it and with the FT delayed... wanted to be sure I had decent wheels to get me another 3-4 years.

Raventree
05-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Hmm..Take a Honda fit, weld some Versa bits onto it...
And you now have the un-natural marriage of the 2 as the 2012 Yaris...

No thanks... Dear Wife and I are keeping Bebe' for a long time..

kimona
05-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Keeping my 09 another 3-4 years then buying the FT if its financially within reach. Only reason I just bought the 09 was because my 04 Echo already had 260,000kms on it and with the FT delayed... wanted to be sure I had decent wheels to get me another 3-4 years.

What's an FT?

SKurj
05-13-2011, 02:10 PM
This...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987

Trubin
05-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Too fancy for me. Though 'd love to see some pics of the coupe version.

Yar15
05-23-2011, 05:21 AM
For some Yaris could be good choice, if they offer 4wd in Europe and Us too.

padre1964
05-24-2011, 08:21 PM
at nearly $4 a gallon for gas in Atlanta, i'm going to have this car for a long time

reggaetonfreak
05-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Im in japan at the moment and got to say that it looks better in person. The lines are slick, specially the RS version. Im still gonna keep my 07 since the new one it doesnt have the same functionality. Plus, my 07 is paid off already, no more payments , yeahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Im stationed in japan at the moment, my Yaris is in storage, only 15000 miles on the odometer, cant wait to drive it again!

hoperrs
06-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Mine is paid off now, too. I will be keeping it as long as possible. I want to get full value as it was quite a premium to get the RS version.

Ron.

joe keeney
06-23-2011, 03:13 PM
No way I want to be BURIED in mine.

Daytona675Racer
06-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Getting new Yaris mid August!

ChitownY@Ris
06-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Can't comment because OP mistakenly posted pics of a Pontiac Vibe..

/sarcasm.