PDA

View Full Version : Spy Photos: 2012 Yaris next to current Yaris (size comparison)

VitzBoy
11-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Here are the latest spy photos of the upcoming Toyota Yaris and for the first time we also have a direct comparison between the old and the new one. The new one will be about 10 cm longer than the current one and 5 of those cm are placed between the front and rear axle making it roomier for the passengers. As we can see on the photo showing both cars, the new one is also lower and looking much more sporty. This particular prototype also features a rear spoiler seen for the first time.

Engines will probably be taken over from the current version as well as there will be some new ones. There are rumors about hybrid versions as well as fully electric versions which sound like good news for Toyota. The Yaris is sold over almost the whole world so it’s a really important model for Toyota when it’s due in 2011.

Astroman
11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I see at least they put rear disc brakes on. Hope that's standard.

tomato
11-04-2010, 12:08 PM
OOooooooo, nice pics!!!! :smile:

It's just like Christmas ... Somebody please unwrap this car !!!

I have to say, though, I don't like the idea of a longer Yaris. 10 cm isn't much but sometimes that's all you need to squeeze into a parking spot.

1stToyota
11-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I like the wheels at least.

wooverstone8
11-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I have to say, though, I don't like the idea of a longer Yaris. 10 cm isn't much but sometimes that's all you need to squeeze into a parking spot.

+1

I do a lot of congested city driving and there's been times where I had to struggle to get my Yaris out of a parallel parking spot.

Kal-El
11-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the new shots VitzBoy! :thumbsup:

Could be standard, but we can't count on it. Personally, I don't mind having the longer lasting drums out back. Remember, markets outside of the US already have rear discs, and of course this tester is probably in Japan.

OOooooooo, nice pics!!!! :smile:

It's just like Christmas ... Somebody please unwrap this car !!!

They should take the wraps off. Toyota has to know that the new Yaris has already leaked onto the entire web a month ago.

As far as size, the 10 cm shouldn't make it "too big". I think people will appreciate the extra space and stability/ride quality. It's supposed to be wider as well. So it should definitely be more proportional being lower and wider.

I like the wheels at least.

Of course, we'll see the usually steelies/wheel covers on base cars. Maybe these will be the alloy option.

toyo
11-04-2010, 03:09 PM
that's the 2nd gen yaris the new one is compared against with...

I own a 1st gen, and I wish it was a bit narrower lol

btw, like the new one, kind of reminds me of a mazda 2

Red Horse
11-04-2010, 03:19 PM
I thought your just joking lol, cause on the first glance it look like a yaris that came from a junkyard.

tomato
11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Wider is no good.

I crave for small, powerful little cars, like they have in Europe :(

I like the looks of my '07 Yaris but frankly, that is as wide and long as I want my car to be.

Tomato, the city dweller.

*MAD DOG*
11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
+1

I do a lot of congested city driving and there's been times where I had to struggle to get my Yaris out of a parallel parking spot.

Nothing reverse parking sensors cant fix. I had them installed and it even has a screen telling you in cm/in how far you can reverse before your gonna hit something.

*MAD DOG*
11-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Could be standard, but we can't count on it. Personally, I don't mind having the longer lasting drums out back. Remember, markets outside of the US already have rear discs, and of course this tester is probably in Japan.

Not here, in Australia we get rear drums on the Yaris :(

*MAD DOG*
11-04-2010, 08:20 PM

Being 6"4' I'd kill to have 10cm extra leg room, i'd even mame to have 5cm :tongue:

BluYrs
11-05-2010, 02:53 AM
The tester seems to be the new TS version (spoiler, discs, large wheels, dark headlight housing) and the pics seem to be shot in Europe, probably France or Portugal (licence plate, I think it's an F or a P on the second to last pic).

Personally, I don't mind the Yaris getting a bit bigger, but it would have been better if they'd just kept the same length and made the wheelbase longer. Still undecided about the looks but I'm not a big fan of the new sharp edged design. Granted, it will grow on me once the new Verso S and Yaris hit the streets.

Kal-El
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Not here, in Australia we get rear drums on the Yaris :(

Yeah, I meant to say some markets get rear discs, but not all.

:smile:

YAR1S
11-05-2010, 02:26 PM
ew.

I like the yaris for being round, this gen looks like any model that comes out later - more sharp angles to make it look newer/futuristic.

djct_watt
11-05-2010, 05:03 PM
A single wiper design? How cheap can you get?

auxmike
11-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Bear in mind this car is heavily cloaked!
The car is RED, all the black is vynil graphics tape and gaffers tape. I'll bet the angular, square portions are just CARDBOARD taped to the body.

auxmike
11-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Also, tires are marked FL RL =front left, rear left.

Jochen
11-06-2010, 08:15 AM
The tester seems to be the new TS version (spoiler, discs, large wheels, dark headlight housing) and the pics seem to be shot in Europe, probably France or Portugal (licence plate, I think it's an F or a P on the second to last pic).

Actually, the pics are made in Belgium (red and white license plate on the first yaris and green and white on the test-car, which are only used by car dealers etc.)
I also thought it was the new TS because of the rear discs, spoiler, tinted windows. But if you look at the pictures of the vitz RS, it has a different grille, foglights, taillights, ...
I've also read that there won't be a TS anymore in Europe.

firemachine69
11-06-2010, 08:28 AM

Wouldn't count on it, except maybe in RS trim...

nemelek
11-06-2010, 10:49 AM
10 cm isn't much, however, I remember when the corolla was a lot smaller. It seems to be a mind set of car makers to increase the size of the new models. 3 model changes over the next 10 years and we will be saying that 10 inches isn't much bigger.

bobselectric
11-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Wider is no good.

I like the looks of my '07 Yaris but frankly, that is as wide and long as I want my car to be.

+1- it kind of looks like a matrix:thumbdown:

.Kevin.
11-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Newer one the lift back if it's like that will be alot more appealing, and people wont run to the Sedan if they plan to fix it up. Though it bugs me that they just grab an old model and put tape on it to show some difference lol 10 cm isnt THAT much but I've came close to hitting stuff with those centimetres so who knows what its impact will be.

why?
11-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Newer one the lift back if it's like that will be alot more appealing, and people wont run to the Sedan if they plan to fix it up. Though it bugs me that they just grab an old model and put tape on it to show some difference lol 10 cm isnt THAT much but I've came close to hitting stuff with those centimetres so who knows what its impact will be.

okay, this has been annoying me forever. The current hatch looks awesome, there are far more performance and looks parts for it than for the sedan, you are literally the only person who thinks the lb looks bad.

djct_watt
11-07-2010, 10:49 PM
LOL, people naturally think the choices they made are the best in the world. It can be a way to rationalize and make yourself if you are insecure.

I think people have their reasons for their choices and appreciate whatever choice they make, that is, unless they choose incorrectly for their own needs. . . then they're just stupid.

.Kevin.
11-07-2010, 10:56 PM
LOL, people naturally think the choices they made are the best in the world. It can be a way to rationalize and make yourself if you are insecure.

I think people have their reasons for their choices and appreciate whatever choice they make, that is, unless they choose incorrectly for their own needs. . . then they're just stupid.

Didn't say the Liftback is crappy, just I like the Sedan more. And I'm not the only one that agrees a fixed up sedan looks alot better.

If anything youd get insecure about someone not liking the damn hatchback. And if it matters I see more women in the lift back than in the sedan, if its a guy in the liftback it always the 3 door.

I don't judge.

djct_watt
11-07-2010, 11:12 PM
^ You're last sentence contradicts with everything you said.

I personally don't care who drives what. It's your business. I have no idea if you're insecure or not, I was just pointing out it's common for people who feel really strongly about their choices and need to voice it over and over and over.

That and 99% of the car world think's the Yaris (both sedan and hatch) are the slowest, biggest pieces of turd ever. So I really could care less.

But yeah, you got the sedan, so it's only natural you'd think it looks better. Good for you. And I'm not being sarcastic there. But it's seriously no different than jerking yourself off to argue about it. . . whoever it is that argues. How about we keep this thread on topic?

.Kevin.
11-07-2010, 11:15 PM
uh huh

Thirty-Nine
11-09-2010, 04:23 PM
A couple of those photos remind me of the Mazda 2.

Thanks for the pics, though.

tk-421
11-09-2010, 04:33 PM
dont like it, looks like a Versa from the rear, and it kinda looks odd shaped, why do they insist on messing up a good looking car. The front is not as bad as long the lines are flowing but the rear is just nasty. Plus it looks wider in the butt and narrow up front

+1

Message to Toyota: Want to make a Yaris more appealing? Leave it exactly as it was in 07 and add more OEM performance and styling options. Better noise deadening wouldn't hurt either.

Shinare
11-18-2010, 05:43 PM
.... Better noise deadening wouldn't hurt either.

Amen brother...

Midnight Drifter
11-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Well, looks like Toyota USA struck while the iron was hot; from this point onward, the styling direction of the Yaris is going to go DOWNWARD, sadly...

Glad -I- struck while the iron was hot, too. The Yaris as-is is larger than a Corolla FX16... how much bigger must they make it!?:mad:

tk-421
12-23-2010, 04:02 AM
I've got some updates as far as the dimensions, courtesy of my local newspaper:

It will be 10cm longer than the current LB
Distance between front/rear axis will be 5cms longer as well
Interior will be 3.5cms longer
The rear seat area will have an extra 3.5 cms of legroom
Front seats are 1.5cms taller (as if our seats weren't tall enough already!)
The hatch area is 1.45cms deeper

djct_watt
12-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Japan already released photos, specs, and video of the new Vitz/Yaris. I just couldn't be bothered to post up links, seeing as how we had a multi-page thread going, and somebody just came along (months later) and rebooted the thread from scratch, giving no links or credit to the previous thread.

ilikerice
12-23-2010, 06:22 AM
I've got some updates as far as the dimensions, courtesy of my local newspaper:

It will be 10cm longer than the current LB
Distance between front/rear axis will be 5cms longer as well
Interior will be 3.5cms longer
The rear seat area will have an extra 3.5 cms of legroom
Front seats are 1.5cms taller (as if our seats weren't tall enough already!)
The hatch area is 1.45cms deeper

wish they made the wheel base WIDER.. lol

i am saving up for the 3rd gen Lexus IS hopefully in a couple years.. i may or may not keep the yaris.. havent decided yet

devinlamothe
01-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Sad to say but I am liking the look of the new US Fiesta compared to the new Yaris BLECH. I would just buy a new 2010/11 over the 2012.

auxmike
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
I hate the Fiesta! :barf:
Hardly ever see one on the road here, and the dealers always have the ugly bright green one's out by the curb.
I'm actually stoked to see that new Yari.....
Hope it's at the NY Int'nl Auto show this year.:drool:

roxy1
01-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Sad to say but I am liking the look of the new US Fiesta compared to the new Yaris BLECH. I would just buy a new 2010/11 over the 2012.

i very much likethe outer looks of the fiesta. the dash is butt ugly.....but, the one thing that i cannot understand a manufacturer doing to a hatchback is making a back seat that does not fold flat...i will not accept this in a hatch.

nikonmad
01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Wider is no good.

Perhaps you may like the aston martin cygnet , based on the toyota IQ, or Scion IQ which i beleive it will be called in the US.

http://toyotaiqcar.com/

we have had it a while here in the UK...

edit..

djct_watt
01-30-2011, 06:40 PM
The aygo has absolutely nothing to do with th iQ. The aygo is a joint Toyota/Citroën/Peugeot project. Dunno, maybe you pasted the wrong link?

nikonmad
01-31-2011, 12:39 AM
sorry, should have been this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_iQ

Qmobile
03-25-2011, 05:18 AM
wow! I go away for a lil bit and everything gets uglier lol....the thing is butt-ugly......I like the headlights but that's it

Mikeey01nzl
03-25-2011, 06:16 PM
I'll never be able to afford a new one but...

Why is it that most car factories always make the next model / next update bigger?

I liked the Yaris / Vitz for it's small size, but have noted with each new model / next generation they have gotten slightly bigger.
In this healthly world we live in, exercise and the like, you know that sort of exercise type stuff, eat right and all, that new Yaris could do with going on a diet me thinks.

I dunno it may well be lighter but it looks a tad wider on the hips :eek:

Is it just me or does it sort of look like one of them flash USA stealth fighters? I'm in if it avoids them police speed radars:thumbup:

Yar15
03-27-2011, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=Mikeey01nzl;566463]

Why is it that most car factories always make the next model / next update bigger?

After some time we might return back to smaller and smaller cars.
Is it worldwide problem that cars grow bigger, but parking lots won't ?

djct_watt
03-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Because people are stupid and think bigger = better. When have u ever seen a magazine comparison say that the car with the smaller interior is better because it's not excessively large? Bigger always wins. . . sad, but true. The only place the Yaris (3/5dr) needs to grow is the trunk. However, I think they could easily accomodate that by making the sliding seats standard and rearranging the shelf depth and hatch shape. Also 60/40 should be standard for all models in all markets.

hoperrs
06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
The sliding seats are what makes it a great little hatch.

Ron.

joe keeney
06-23-2011, 03:27 PM
The new one just plain sucks,

2010.YARIS.SEDAN
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
:iono:WHY HAS TOYOTA CANCELLED PRODUCTION OF THE SEDAN IN 2012 CONTACT TOYOTA TELL THEM TO KEEP THE SEDAN.

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
09-22-2011, 03:04 PM
:iono:WHY HAS TOYOTA CANCELLED PRODUCTION OF THE SEDAN IN 2012 CONTACT TOYOTA TELL THEM TO KEEP THE SEDAN.

2012 SEDAN IS BEING SOLD AS FLEET ONLY.....