PDA

View Full Version : Car and Driver Comparo

Search
04-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Here is a Car and Driver comparison of the various subcompacts. some of these are a joke from the economy point of view, real world average of 28 MPG from a subcompact is criminal. My RSX-S type gets that and better and is pushing 200+HP.

So the highlights are the Yaris get the best mileage at an observer 36 MPG over 1000 Miles. Does surprisingly well in braking and skidpad, and they love the shifter.
And answers the question on every young boys mind
Q:"What'll she do Mister?"
A: why she so fast they have to limit the it to 113 MPH, or you would have to have a pilots license to drive it :wink:

Hmmm <Mutter mutter> looks like I can't post the .pdf. hang on while I find the link....

<sounds of rifling through messy closet>

Okay back with the link.

Sorry about where I got it from (Honda) but the Fit did win pretty solidly in C&D's mind, but then again C&D tested the sedan not the Yaris LB, and they said the Styling of the Fit was good while I think a barf bag should be included with every purchase.

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2007/fit/26141_eprint.pdf

Goose
04-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Here ya go... :smile:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10925/15000-cheap-skates.html

EDIT: sorry, not needed - my computer didn't show your updated post.

riceboy
04-23-2006, 10:31 PM
I know its a sedan in the comparison, but who would have thought that the Fit would have a better 1/4 mile. I think the reason they left out the Yaris is because it's only available in a 3-door liftback version, as opposed to the 5-door that you get everywhere else in the world. I guess Toyota would prefer to let the Scion xA and xB look after the 5-door demographic. Anyways I think that if that comparison was done with the 5-door RS aka apples to apples comparison that it would have come up on top. But hey kudos to the Fit for being tops in the category eventhough its an older platform vehicle!

corey415
04-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Anyways I think that if that comparison was done with the 5-door RS aka apples to apples comparison that it would have come up on top.

Out of curiosity, why so? Does the 5-door RS offer a better suspension and handling? Better braking? Is it faster?

The C&D review focused mainly on driving dynamics, not on form factor.

riceboy
04-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I believe that the setup of the liftback is quite different from that of the sedan. From my understanding it's also a bit lighter, which would make a difference in all areas of performance. Perhaps this is a difference found only in Canadian spec Yaris and Fit???

corey415
04-24-2006, 12:11 AM
From I just researched, the Toyota Yaris 5 dr 5MT RS weighs 2335 lbs. The Toyota Yaris 4 dr sedan in the C&D articles weighed 2377 lbs. Thats only a 42 lb difference.

So again, why would it have performed better in that C&D comparison?

riceboy
04-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Isn't the Fit a heavier car with the equivalent in hp and torque, if that's the case than wouldn't the Yaris being a lighter vehicle be able to outpace it in a 1/4 mile? that would already change up the numbers from the C&D comparison. With the difference in weight it could also potentially allow the car to stop faster, and although I'm not clear on specific specs, I'm not sure if they used a Yaris Sedan which would be equipped with ABS as in the majority of Canadian spec Yaris hb - the most basic model. The Yaris also has a longer wheelbase which would be better for handling as noted in comparisons against the previous gen echo hb.

In any case as stated before kudos to the Fit for taking top marks, but would there be a difference comparing it to the Yaris lb? who knows... we'll just have to wait and see.. I'm sure a mag or some fit & yaris owners will put something together!

why?
04-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Yes there would be a difference, but who knows how much of one.

corey415
04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Isn't the Fit a heavier car with the equivalent in hp and torque, if that's the case than wouldn't the Yaris being a lighter vehicle be able to outpace it in a 1/4 mile? that would already change up the numbers from the C&D comparison.

The engine figures are similar, but not exact. The Honda Fit has a peak hp figure of 109hp whereas the Yaris has 106hp. Fit has 105 ft/lbs; Yaris has 103 ft/lbs. Also, there is more to acceleration than just power/weight ratios. While it is a good first order estimator, other things like gearing ratios, tire traction, aerodynamics, and drivetrain efficiency can affect acceleration time.

With the difference in weight it could also potentially allow the car to stop faster, and although I'm not clear on specific specs, I'm not sure if they used a Yaris Sedan which would be equipped with ABS as in the majority of Canadian spec Yaris hb - the most basic model. The Yaris also has a longer wheelbase which would be better for handling as noted in comparisons against the previous gen echo hb.

The Yaris S Sedan that C&D tested has ABS. Regardless, ABS isnt designed to reduce stopping distance; its purpose is to allow the driver to steer under heavy braking. I still dont think the 42 lbs difference or slightly longer wheelbase would have made a significant difference.

In any case as stated before kudos to the Fit for taking top marks, but would there be a difference comparing it to the Yaris lb? who knows... we'll just have to wait and see.. I'm sure a mag or some fit & yaris owners will put something together!

I saw that; but at the same time you said this....

Anyways I think that if that comparison was done with the 5-door RS aka apples to apples comparison that it would have come up on top.

I have nothing wrong with that statement, but you dont have any evidence that shows this would be true.

Idjiit
04-24-2006, 12:02 PM
The engine figures are similar, but not exact. The Honda Fit has a peak hp figure of 109hp whereas the Yaris has 106hp. Fit has 105 ft/lbs; Yaris has 103 ft/lbs. Also, there is more to acceleration than just power/weight ratios. While it is a good first order estimator, other things like gearing ratios, tire traction, aerodynamics, and drivetrain efficiency can affect acceleration time.

Don't forget tires. My LB is peppy enough to get some good wheelspin in there. I'm wondering if a bigger contact patch would actually improve acceleration.

corey415
04-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Don't forget tires. My LB is peppy enough to get some good wheelspin in there. I'm wondering if a bigger contact patch would actually improve acceleration.

I didn't forget tires. That's why I said "tire traction".

Idjiit
04-24-2006, 01:31 PM
D'oh, my bad.

Thirty-Nine
04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
I still think they should've left out the Accent and the Yaris, and put in the xA. I think it's a closer match to the rest of the lineup.

riceboy
04-24-2006, 03:53 PM
What I meant is that it would be nice to see them compared as both are hb's, you're right about the numbers not making a huge difference, however in Canada the hp and torque numbers are even... again no big deal.. but as a final word let's just say that I'd love to see them do a 1 to 1 comparison..

benfal2001
05-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I know its a sedan in the comparison, but who would have thought that the Fit would have a better 1/4 mile. I think the reason they left out the Yaris is because it's only available in a 3-door liftback version, as opposed to the 5-door that you get everywhere else in the world. I guess Toyota would prefer to let the Scion xA and xB look after the 5-door demographic. Anyways I think that if that comparison was done with the 5-door RS aka apples to apples comparison that it would have come up on top. But hey kudos to the Fit for being tops in the category eventhough its an older platform vehicle!

Older and so quality proven! :clap: nice hatch back!
The yaris lacks so space.

why?
05-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Take your pos car and get out of here, will you. No one cares what you think. The temper tantrum is one of the ugliest and most overpriced cars on the market.

Andrew Chalmers
05-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Take your pos car and get out of here, will you. No one cares what you think. The temper tantrum is one of the ugliest and most overpriced cars on the market.

There's really not need to put someone else's vehicle down to justify your purchase. You included. Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris are both good vehicles that I've both seriously considered and there's really no need to be a fan boy about it.

corey415
05-14-2006, 08:24 PM
There's really not need to put someone else's vehicle down to justify your purchase. You included. Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris are both good vehicles that I've both seriously considered and there's really no need to be a fan boy about it.

I concur!

It's a great time to be in the market for a subcompact!

Dylanby
05-14-2006, 10:15 PM
It's a great time to be in the market for a subcompact!

I agree!

Makes me curious as to the percentage breakdown for cars in North America. It be interesting to see the numbers of SUV's, luxury vehicles, compacts, sub-compacts, etc. that were sold for all new cars bought in the last ten years or so.

Of course the high end cars are great for introducing new technology into the auto market, but I'd like to see the ratio of fuel efficient cars esp. sub-compacts that are sold grow larger. Sub-compacts probably don't yield high profit margins for the industry, but I'd assume they could do a greater volume of overall sales.

corey415
05-14-2006, 10:48 PM
It is true that the cheaper the vehicle, the smaller the margin. Almost all of the subcompacts in the states will not be volume sellers either.

However, most subcompacts buyers eventually step up to larger, more expensive car(s) from the same company. It's an easy way to start brand loyalty.

why?
05-15-2006, 09:15 AM

Who came to OUR forum and blasted OUR car?

I'm sorry, but I'm not some pansy liberal who is going to lie down and let someone walk into my home and insult me.

Thirty-Nine
05-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Man, you all need to chill. Fact of the matter is, it's a good time to be in the subcompact market. And everyone's got different tastes. And, believe it or not, some people might not like Yaris (*gasp!*). Obviously some people don't like the Fit, either. Seriously, folks — chill. There's no need for insults, name calling or any thing else.

Andrew Chalmers
05-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Who came to OUR forum and blasted OUR car?

I'm sorry, but I'm not some pansy liberal who is going to lie down and let someone walk into my home and insult me.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: This is for you online tough guy.

I think we've all read your comments of the sort before in the ABS thread, and then this oversensitive response to criticism of "OUR car." Whatever dude - the FIT is a good vehicle. So is the Yaris. I'm not going to start hating the FIT because some random stranger compared it in a favorable way against the Yaris and vice versa.

bikergal
05-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Please refer to my response in the Honda Fit thread about the same type of situation gong on:

Here ------> http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6519&postcount=77

ricko
05-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Well said Bikergal. Isn't there a term for someone who posts on a site like this, for the express purpose of upsetting others. I've seen Canon users post on a Nikon website that Nikons were crap, just to get things going. If that's what passes for entertainment these days, well .......... I have better things to do. Ignore the "Trolls".

why?
05-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Ignoring them is no fun. Of course sadly most of them just post and run.

I don't care what car the person drives, he came here and insulted our car.

I'm simply not going to stand for it.

bigsky2
05-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Both cars have their merits, and I'm not knocking the Fit because I've been a Honda owner all my life. I've owned three different Honda Civics and they've all been great cars.

This is my first Toyota, and I'm excited to see what this company has to offer further.

The PRIMARY reason why I did not choose a Fit was because of aesthetics. I feel the Yaris has much more character and personality when you look at it, whereas the Fit reminds me of utlility and functionality.

Not to say that the Yaris does not have utility/functionality, but the Yaris is more pleasing to the eyes (mine).

bikergal
05-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Well said Bikergal. Isn't there a term for someone who posts on a site like this, for the express purpose of upsetting others. I've seen Canon users post on a Nikon website that Nikons were crap, just to get things going. If that's what passes for entertainment these days, well .......... I have better things to do. Ignore the "Trolls".

~Thank You Ricko :headbang:

~Why? Please don't let a troll bother you :wink: Don't you know that is exactly what this person wants. To upset people on this site... laughs.. you are letting him win, slides you a beer :drinking: Prop your feet up and relax :tongue:

why?
05-16-2006, 03:13 AM
believe me, he is not upsetting me. It takes much more than that to upset me.

However, there is nothing wrong with returning the favor.

Ziv
05-16-2006, 11:45 AM
I believe I have post my respond according to Car and Driver Comparison. They have probably get rid of it because they might find it offensive. hehe. Regardless, I think they are terrible to compare stuff that doesn't really fit in the same class.

Uglyboyed
05-16-2006, 03:19 PM
i like the yaris better. nothing against the fit, but for a "economy car" it actually pretty expensive, thats defeats the whole purpose. If your a honda kinda person i would rather spend the extra $1000 and get a civic.

benfal2001
05-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Sorry about where I got it from (Honda) but the Fit did win pretty solidly in C&D's mind, but then again C&D tested the sedan not the Yaris LB, and they said the Styling of the Fit was good while I think a barf bag should be included with every purchase.

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2007/fit/26141_eprint.pdf

The Yaris can't be compared to the Honda Fit and others... It's a too low entry car. So C&D put the Yaris sedan. Compare apples with apples.

benfal2001
05-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Out of curiosity, why so? Does the 5-door RS offer a better suspension and handling? Better braking? Is it faster?

The C&D review focused mainly on driving dynamics, not on form factor.

Ouin hein! Awoèw repond :w00t:

Dylanby
05-17-2006, 11:19 PM
<sigh>

Ladies & gentlemen. Welcome to the interweb. Please enjoy your stay.

Jem_hadar
05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
<sigh>

Ladies & gentlemen. Welcome to the interweb. Please enjoy your stay.

haha Dont worry, im calling teh internet police