PDA

View Full Version : about to buy... used rental Yaris thru Hertz

TheKindG
01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
My first post here - want to say THANKS for all the time & giving that's obvious here.

Found the site when searching for 'Cruise control'... just about ruled out YARIS until I found CTScott's excellent posts on what looks to be a simple DIY.

I"ve scheduled a test drive for Monday - here's the specs:
Make, Model: Toyota YARIS
Year: 2009
Odometer: 37,526 Mi
Color: BLUE
Price: $9,500
* ENGINE ANTI-THEFT:W/PQ,IMMOBILIZER
* MIRRORS,POWER:W/PQ
* POWER LOCKS:W/PQ
* POWER WINDOWS:W/PQ
* RADIO-AM/FM/CD:W/PQ,SINGLE CD
* REAR DEFROSTER:W/PQ
* REAR WINDOW WIPER:W/PQ
* SPLIT FOLDING REAR SEAT:W/PQ,60/40
* WHEEL:W/PQ,15" STEEL
* ANTILOCK BRAKES
* AIR CONDITIONER
* AIRBAG DVR/PASS/SIDE
* CARGO COVER
* CHILD SAFETY LOCKS
* DRIVE-FRONT WHL DRIVE
* ENGINE:1.5L 4-CYLINDER
* FAST SPEC CODE
* CLOTH BUCKET SEAT
* SMOKERS PKG:SOCKET CIGARETTE LIGHTER
* TONNEAU COVER
* TRANSMISSION AUTO:4-SPEED W/OVERDRIVE
* TILT WHEEL
* EMISSIONS,50 STATE

Whattaya think... I'll need a local mechanic to check out the car prior to purchase, but otherwise... does Hertz change oil?:iono:

slow.yaris
01-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Is it one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZoLAgFXKYg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN1VVysHIQg

Yaristeve
01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Interesting that it is equipped with the smokers package since every time I've rented a car smoking was not allowed in the car. Considering how I treat rentals, which is nothing compared to what I've read, I would never buy an ex-rental car, "certified" or not. But then again, I don't like buying used cars in general...

nemelek
01-06-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't think that I would buy a rental.

shinlee
01-06-2011, 11:13 PM
i bought a rental cobalt ls 2007 2dr, and i've had it for over 3 years. Great car, great mileage and all around was a good bang for the buck purchase. I've got nothing wrong with buying rentals, but i think i'd try to get it for at most 9k

coheed
01-06-2011, 11:42 PM
37k miles for $9500??? Thats ridiculous. I paid $9000 for mine and I got it with 5k miles on it.

WeeYari
01-07-2011, 08:45 AM
37k miles for $9500??? Thats ridiculous. I paid $9000 for mine and I got it with 5k miles on it.

Do you have automatic transmission?
Do you have full power package?
Do you have split folding rear seat?
Do you have 5 doors?

No you don't.

If you're going to toss out a price comment like that, at least try for an apples-to-apples comparison.

Is $9500 reasonable for the San Diego area? I don't know as I can only intelligently comment on the Canadian market.

There have been several peeps on here over the years who've purchased ex-rentals. Myself included. Not one of us has ever come back and said 'Why the hell did I buy this piece of SH!T'.

dean_park
01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
I know people who have had good luck with buying previous rentals. My mother has bought a couple. One pontiac sunfire she drove for 80k miles/5 yrs and then gave to my sister who drove it another 40k (150k total). The one she's in now is a Corolla she bought 4 years/45K miles ago... she still loves it.

There are people who abuse rental cars, but most of the people who rent are business travelers (like myself) who just drive from the airport to a hotel to a client and back. With rev limiters and transmission lockouts, there is far less abuse newer cars will let you do.

I think it's only slightly more risky than buying any other used vehicle. You should definitely see if you can use the "pre-rental" car to barter a lower price though.

Good luck with your Yaris shopping!

TheKindG
01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks to those who made constructive comments...

If I could find one with 9k miles, or one like this for $9k, I'd already own it.
Private party is my first choice, unfortunately, there aren't may around to choose from.
(Autotrader & craigslist are the most widely used for car ads here in San Diego)

This one seems to be about $1200 -$2500 lower than similar ones at the local car dealers (who mostly re-sell these ex-rental cars picked up @ auction).

I'm prefering a 5dr, test drove a 3dr the other day. Hoping to find a white one, tho.

I'll rent this free for a couple hours, and for up to 3 days, any rental fees come off the price, already have 5.05% financing thru CapitalOne. I am itching to find the right one.

Ecoman44
01-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I just about did the same thing you are going to do and would not have thought twice about it. I just happened to find something a little less costly. It was less car (manual, no power...) but that wasn't my concern. All the rental car deals I saw seemed to be good deals. I also asked a friend that had been in the rental busniess for a while and he said that regular matinance (oil changes, etc) was a priority for them. I'd say, if it's what you want, then buy and enjoy having a Yaris in the driveway:thumbup:

alch3miss
01-07-2011, 05:08 PM
I agree with most of the responses, I would try to definitely negotiate in a hardball manner with the price.

TheKindG
01-08-2011, 12:10 PM
@ $9500, it's the lowest price, for the included options, of anything I saw.

Drives fine, just one scratch in the paint. Had a BAD rattle... then I discovered what one described as the 'jousting lance' in the spare tire compartment.

I'll try to beat them up for the scratch damage, maybe get them to throw in new brakes?

It IS a bit noisy, esp on a grooved freeway, may have to play with that.

WeeYari
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I'll try to beat them up for the scratch damage, maybe get them to throw in new brakes?

Work on the scratch damage, and any dings it may have. Don't bother with brakes as those will have a hell of a lot of life left in them at only 37k.

yaris2010RS
01-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Work on the scratch damage, and any dings it may have. Don't bother with brakes as those will have a hell of a lot of life left in them at only 37k.

not with what i have done to rentals

that is a very nice colour and 9.5k i think is a good price. the road noise in the yaris is quite loud (its an economy car) but apparently different tires will make that better.

kelevra
01-10-2011, 12:45 AM
not with what i have done to rentals

:laughabove:

:biggrin:

Being that they prolly "bought it right" from the auctions etc
Might I suggest negotiating further? :thumbsup:

H3LlIoN
01-10-2011, 12:23 PM
@ $9500, it's the lowest price, for the included options, of anything I saw.

Drives fine, just one scratch in the paint. Had a BAD rattle... then I discovered what one described as the 'jousting lance' in the spare tire compartment.

It IS a bit noisy, esp on a grooved freeway, may have to play with that.

You'll find better deals here, MI and ebay, methinks. The price seems a bit steep to me.

Also, like other people said, most people thrash rentals when they have them.

Yarii are noisy inside, especially on the freeway, so that's by design.

TheKindG
01-17-2011, 10:56 PM
The deed is done -

Best price within 500 miles, if you don't include resellers with salvage titles.

Time to replace wheels, tires.

yaris2010RS
01-18-2011, 12:30 PM
congrats, beautiful colour and welcome to the fourm