PDA

View Full Version : ARE YOU INTERESTED: Magnaflow Catback

ChinoCharles
01-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I know this market is thirsty for a true catback exhaust.

Twisted Innovations had a chance to look at my Liftback today and the first thing they noticed was the exhaust piping diameter. This would be a wonderful place to start freeing up your poor, restricted 1NZ-FE.

TI can make a complete welded exhaust for the Yaris including Magnaflow high-flow cats and mufflers for a decent price. I think the symmetry of the car screams for a center exit, and they assured me that the best way to accomplish this would be to transversely mount a muffler in the rear of the car much like a Porsche exhaust. I thought it sounded neat.

Otherwise, making an exhaust that uses the stock location would be easy. Maybe we can get them to do both.

Apparently Magnaflow already has everything needed for the project made and ready to ship. All they would need to do is bend the necessary piping, deal with the sensors and weld her all together. The nice thing is that everything needed to complete the project is on-site, including a dyno, so you'd know what kind of gains to expect beforehand.

They are going to make a decision on whether or not to make this piece based on this thread, so please give your opinion even if you don't want it! At least vote, but a post is preferable. If 5 people say they would buy one for sure, it is pretty much a done deal. Thanks guys!

Blenjar
01-03-2007, 12:04 AM
I'll when I get money...
=/

-- Blen

Nutzoids
01-03-2007, 12:14 AM
The Center Exit is important to me... I think I have expressed that in multiple other posts, but the most important is the Sound! The last thing I want is to Chauffeur bees around town... If you know what I mean. I also don't want to wake up my Cranky ass, old as hell, neighbors either... But I want a solid Growl out of her! So before I can yes or no, I would have to see it and hear it! But I do agree on the symmetry aspect!

:evil:

acrbill
01-03-2007, 12:34 AM
So your saying this exhaust would include cats? Or would it be a catback like the title suggests?

I think having a rough price estimate would help people decide.

Also, center exit is cool if it doesn't stick out too much. Just dual 3" tips.

spkrman
01-03-2007, 01:36 AM
i already have a magnaflow muffler, but only on the stock piping.

what sort of gain will this yield, and what sort of cost are we looking at?

vodkalush
01-03-2007, 07:05 AM
well no one can really tell what gain is going to be had, until a dyno is run :wink:

but depending on price and time - I would def be in for it.

punch
01-03-2007, 07:08 AM
I would also like something for the sedan, but not a a straight through design muffler..

RogueYaris
01-03-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm all for the center exhaust. Just a matter of time and money for me to outfit my car. Also depends on price when it's released.

ChinoCharles
01-03-2007, 11:21 AM
The Center Exit is important to me... I think I have expressed that in multiple other posts, but the most important is the Sound! The last thing I want is to Chauffeur bees around town... If you know what I mean. I also don't want to wake up my Cranky ass, old as hell, neighbors either... But I want a solid Growl out of her! So before I can yes or no, I would have to see it and hear it! But I do agree on the symmetry aspect!

Being a Magnaflow exhaust, I wouldn't expect anything buzzy. It should be low, grumbly, and loud.

So your saying this exhaust would include cats? Or would it be a catback like the title suggests?

I think having a rough price estimate would help people decide.

Also, center exit is cool if it doesn't stick out too much. Just dual 3" tips.

This exhaust would include Magnaflow high-flow cats. It would replace the stock midpipe and axle-back exhaust with a more straight through design. We agreed 2.25" piping would probably be fine, even for forced induction applications with moderate boost.

The price would be right around the $500 range. Considering the Tanabe axlebacks are going for 60% of that, I think this is a very viable alternative.

We are expecting 10 HP with the Megan header and this exhaust. Who knows what it will actually be, but the header netted 3 or so so 7 HP from this exhaust doesn't seem too far fetched.

For the center exit we would probably do dual angled tips. :headbang:

Nutzoids
01-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Being a Magnaflow exhaust, I wouldn't expect anything buzzy. It should be low, grumbly, and loud.

This exhaust would include Magnaflow high-flow cats. It would replace the stock midpipe and axle-back exhaust with a more straight through design. We agreed 2.25" piping would probably be fine, even for forced induction applications with moderate boost.

The price would be right around the $500 range. Considering the Tanabe axlebacks are going for 60% of that, I think this is a very viable alternative.

We are expecting 10 HP with the Megan header and this exhaust. Who knows what it will actually be, but the header netted 3 or so so 7 HP from this exhaust doesn't seem too far fetched.

For the center exit we would probably do dual angled tips. :headbang:

Center Exit… Low, grumble, and loud... Now that sounds alright to me... $500 price range for a high flow cat, mid-pipe and Axel-back... I said, God Damn, that’s what I'm talking about... F%#$ TRD Almost $400 for a Muffler!

Magnaflow... You have officially perked my interest! (I got a little bit of a stiffy over here)

My only question is about the dual angled tips… Got a pic for me to get a better idea what were looking at????

esquiva
01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
yes...we need something for the sedan

acrbill
01-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I wonder how restrictive the stock exhaust is? Manufacturers usually go to great lengths to quiet the car down and they employ gigantic mufflers and resonators.

I bet a mid-long tube header with hi-flow cats would make the most noticeable gains in power and MPG. Once again it comes down to cost. Who is willing to spend over $1,000 for 10HP on a $13k car?

ChinoCharles
01-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Magnaflow... You have officially perked my interest!

Technically, this would be a Twisted Innovations product... using Magnaflow cats, mufflers and tips... so yeah, don't get confused there. For all intents and purposes, though, its a Magnaflow exhaust. I can only call it that until it is built, though. :cool:

My only question is about the dual angled tips… Got a pic for me to get a better idea what were looking at????

Something similar to the dual DTM round tips on the following page, although we have a lot more options than what Magnaflow's site offers. Basically the tips would angle up towards the liscence plate in the center. Otherwise there would be a small gap between the bumper and the tips.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories02.asp?zone=main&id=281

Also notice that tip alone sells for almost $100.

I wonder how restrictive the stock exhaust is? Manufacturers usually go to great lengths to quiet the car down and they employ gigantic mufflers and resonators.

The stock exhaust piping is literally the width of my thumb at some points. It gets no more restrictive. I'll never forget pulling the stock header out of the engine bay. :barf: I've heard many a gearhead tell me they have never seen piping that thin.

CASTREX
01-03-2007, 04:03 PM
This option sounds great... Never the less I don't understand why this companies are offering none developed stuff for our cars. I mean the right way to do this should be that they gave a special deal to ChinoCharles (the guinea pig) and Then... after the exhaust is developed and TESTED, a Group buy will be in order...

If they are confident about the product that they are putting together this should not be a problem. Also I think that real numbers are the best way to sale any performance related part...

mikeukrainetz
01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
i love the sound from magnaflow mufflers, I have cut and replaced the same stainless dtm onto two different vehicles and when I can will put it on the Yaris. I highly recommend whatever they got.

spkrman
01-03-2007, 06:51 PM
do they have anything for the XA/XB?

products that work on them, will of course work on the yaris :)

Galavoxx
01-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Those tips look amazing. My only question is: will the muffler be visible from the rear or just the tips?

ChinoCharles
01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Just the tips. The muffler will be tucked back a bit, about even with the rear tires.

Galavoxx
01-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Sounds nice.

Doc Zaius
01-05-2007, 11:35 AM
this sounds like a great idea! too bad i already bought a TRD muffler. if/when it dies, i would definately replace the exhaust system with this setup. good work on doing some investigating, charles!

graywolf_14
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah I really like the center exhuast with a dual tip.

ChinoCharles
01-05-2007, 12:23 PM
After seeing the outcome of the Megan Header R&D I was a little less enthused about making this exhaust. I began to think it may be impossible to package this so that we would see gains at any RPM other than 5500 and up. I decided to try and see if Magnaflow had already made an exhaust for the 1NZ-FE in another platform, and low and behold they did.

There are kits that sell for the Scion xA and xB now. I found them online for $450 and $500 respectively. I also noticed neither comes with a high-flow cat, which I assume means that in truth the system I speak of would be a header-back exhaust. So, excuse me for my misunderstanding of some terminology. God damn, I learn something new every day. Now, the specs on the xA and xB exhausts...

03-05 Scion xA 1.5L VVT-I Cat-back Exhaust
1.5L I-4 4dr, VVT-I, rear exit,6x6x14" p-SS muffler, 4x4x14" p-SS resonator, 2.25" SS tubing, 3.5" slash/rolled/p-SS tip

03-05 Scion xB Cat-back Exhaust
Magnaflow Stainless Steel Catback system for the 2003-2005 Scion XB, 4-DR, 1.5L, I4, VVT-Ifeatures mandrel bent 2.25" tubing with 3.5" slash-cut, rolled, polished tip. MF SS 2.25" Catback

This made me feel better about that initial 2.25" number we had decided would probably work for this car. If Magnaflow is using the same diameter themselves on a 1NZ-FE already, we should be in business.

I still wasn't convinced a system like this could make power for all 6000 RPM, though... until I found this (http://www.magnaflow.com/newdyno.asp) page and the following chart... dyno results from the xB exhaust.

I'm hoping that these numbers aren't doctored up by Magnaflow. For now, its still a believe-it-when-I-see-it type deal. I am also hoping that the stock exhaust is the reason the Megan header numbers are as bad as they are. You're talking about a 2.5" outlet feeding to the stock exhaust, which I'm not even sure of the width, but I know its tiny. I have a feeling if it fed to a 2.25" exhaust, it would be a much different story.

Just wanted to share this and see if anyone had anything to add. Thanks to spkrman for the hint about referencing the Scion exhausts.

Teruyume
01-05-2007, 01:18 PM
$500 for so much i am sure i m getting one. it will be killer if they can make it like the minicooperS and sounds like a stock G35 lol

Nutzoids
01-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Oh my God yes… the G35 has the best Exhaust note I have ever heard!

spkrman
01-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Oh my God yes… the G35 has the best Exhaust note I have ever heard!

hell yea, they sound awesome!

Chris07LB
01-05-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm in.

Black Yaris
01-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I am going for the twin oval center mounted tips, I am going to start with just removing my muffler, to see how it sounds. If it is ok, I will continue all the way up to the header, only with a high flow cat

acrbill
01-06-2007, 02:22 AM
I am going for the twin oval center mounted tips, I am going to start with just removing my muffler, to see how it sounds. If it is ok, I will continue all the way up to the header, only with a high flow cat

If you mean that you will just remove your muffler, don't do it. It will sound horrible and you will get pulled over and ticketed in short order.

I think a lot of you guys will be disappointed when you go with an aftermarket exhaust. It will wear on your nerves in a couple of months. Small displacement motors are extremely raspy when under muffled.

ASHRAF
01-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Please, somebody produce something for the 1.3L Yaris

eTiMaGo
01-06-2007, 04:12 AM
Please, somebody produce something for the 1.3L Yaris[/SIZE]

Hahah well I've just asked about that on a french tuning forum, since they only have the 1.0, 1.3 and D4D versions there, there may be some options we do not know about...

El Jefe
01-06-2007, 04:42 PM
finally im not the only one who chose 'no' lol

H8SGAS
01-07-2007, 10:43 PM
I'd be in once there are a few independent dynos run, pictures and some sound clips. Yeah, Yeah I like analyze and compare before buying stuff..... :biggrin: but it definitely sounds good so far.

ricepower
01-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Hahah well I've just asked about that on a french tuning forum, since they only have the 1.0, 1.3 and D4D versions there, there may be some options we do not know about...

Same here in KSA also..with 2NZ-FE engine

spkrman
01-08-2007, 06:12 PM
I'd be in once there are a few independent dynos run, pictures and some sound clips. Yeah, Yeah I like analyze and compare before buying stuff..... :biggrin: but it definitely sounds good so far.

x2, i like to know what im buyin before i buy it.

ChinoCharles
01-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I'll update once I get a chance to talk to Kevin.

walterGT67
10-19-2009, 08:09 AM
I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 15822 (http://magnaflow.allexhaust.com/product.php?productid=6132?odc1l=15822). Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.