PDA

View Full Version : Scion xA facelift?

Yaris Revenge
04-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Does anyone have any idea when the Scion xA is due for a bodywork change? Just curious... I'd like to see what they've got up their sleeve before I make any purchase decisions on a Yaris. The way I've "built" my Yaris online, they come out within $1000 of one another, so there's still some debating to do.

~YR

Yaris Revenge
05-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Huh, a week up and not 1 reply. Guess that means no one knows!
~YR

Idjiit
05-02-2006, 11:06 AM
My guess is that the xA will be discontinued entirely and the 5-door Yaris will replace it. Needless to say, this wouldn't happen until the MY 2008 at the earliest. I just can't see Toyota spending money to redesign the xA when the 5-door Yaris already exists in different markets.

Thirty-Nine
05-02-2006, 12:30 PM
There had been some talk of the Toyota Ractis replacing the xA

http://toyota.jp/ractis/exterior/bodycolor/index.html

DJ_SpaRky
05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
The xA just HAD a Facelift for 06.

why?
05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Not to mention scion has been very good for toyota. They might phase out the xA entirely, but that doesn't mean we'd get the 5 door Yaris hatch instead.

Idjiit
05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Not to mention scion has been very good for toyota. They might phase out the xA entirely, but that doesn't mean we'd get the 5 door Yaris hatch instead.

They may not, but they should. In the internet age, it's confusing to have mixed offerings in different markets. I had a gal on SuicideGirls who lives in the US who was talking about getting one in her journal - very, very excited about getting one. The photo she posted to her journal? The 5-door. Had to break it to her that unless she wanted to import from Canada she wasn't going to get one.

why?
05-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree with that.

But no car maker seems to use actual logic when they decide what cars to sell where.

I think they might use a dartboard.

YarisHatch
05-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Xb - Replacement due for 2007 models
Xa - Replacement due for 2007 models, or discontinued. Possible word of lasting throughout till 2008.
tC - Replacement due for 2008 year, or discontinued.

I really tired of talking about scions. heh:iono:

wlfpck
06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
NOOOO the tC is so beautiful.

stuffy
06-02-2006, 11:34 AM
are all of the scion's built on the same platform? for some reason, the tc looks bigger in pictures and i've never seen one on the road here in canada,

the scion that seems to get imported is the xb

another question, nissan has a "cube" available in japan i think, it looks like a complete ripoff of the xb, i just wanted to make sure the xb predated the "cube".

Idjiit
06-02-2006, 11:47 AM
The tC is a completely different platform than the xA/xB. IIRC, the tC is based on the Celica.

stuffy
06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
i thought it looked different, it is a nice looking car, imo

Idjiit
06-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah, the tC is really nice. I was tempted to get one when I started considering a new car a while back. Ultimately the Yaris is more practical for my purposes.

If I was going to get a "sporty" car, I'd probably try to get something RWD. The new Z4 Coupe is making me think about having my midlife crisis early:

http://www.mwerks.com/artman/uploads/bmw_news/004__scaled_600_003.jpg

stuffy
06-02-2006, 12:10 PM
it's got a classy look, for sure, sort of like the old jags with the fast back and long nose

Thirty-Nine
06-02-2006, 12:19 PM
are all of the scion's built on the same platform? for some reason, the tc looks bigger in pictures and i've never seen one on the road here in canada,

the scion that seems to get imported is the xb

another question, nissan has a "cube" available in japan i think, it looks like a complete ripoff of the xb, i just wanted to make sure the xb predated the "cube".

Actually, the Cube predates the xB:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Cube

stuffy
06-02-2006, 12:30 PM
so then is the xb a ripoff of the cube, because imo, they are very similar in appearance?

stuffy
06-02-2006, 12:38 PM
i think i have answered my own question, it appears that the early cube was not as cubish as it is now, perhaps the xb came out with exxagerated cubishness, then the redesigned cube got even cubier

here is a 2002 cube, 2004 xb, then a 2005 cube:

Thirty-Nine
06-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Well, the two-box shape is nothing new. Plus, there's only so much you can do, styling wise, with a tall wagon.

stuffy
06-02-2006, 02:47 PM
i realize that the two-box shape harkens back to an earlier period in automotive design, but these are designed with an intentional irony, in a sense they are new design ideas

obviously, there is some influence between the design of these two vehicles

Thirty-Nine
06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
There's also the Suzuki Lapin, which is also a boxy-style vehicle.

http://www.cars-directory.net/pictures/suzuki/lapin/pic_suzuki_lapin_10552.jpg

YarisHatch
06-02-2006, 05:27 PM
^ And the suzuki wagon-r.

Almost all companies that are based out of japan have atleast one boxy car. Even some that aren't based out of japan have one. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, MB, bmw had a prototype in 1999 but never took off, kia, Mitsubishi..

why?
06-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah, the tC is really nice. I was tempted to get one when I started considering a new car a while back. Ultimately the Yaris is more practical for my purposes.

If I was going to get a "sporty" car, I'd probably try to get something RWD. The new Z4 Coupe is making me think about having my midlife crisis early:

http://www.mwerks.com/artman/uploads/bmw_news/004__scaled_600_003.jpg

Reminds me of the first BMW Z hatch coupe thing.

I fell in love with it when it first came out.

PSU Yaris
06-04-2006, 10:56 PM
the chevy HHR is kinda boxy too. i kinda like the tailights on em, but i wouldnt get one cuz it kinda reminds me of a van :thumbdown:

Tamago
12-14-2006, 07:32 PM
i'll let you know on saturday.. i'm going to the official unveiling friday night in southbeach

Tamago
12-21-2006, 10:54 AM
ok no more scion xA.. scion is really really pissing me off..

you now have a bloated xD and xB for next year

ECHOKnight2000
12-21-2006, 03:47 PM
ok no more scion xA.. scion is really really pissing me off..

you now have a bloated xD and xB for next year

So they still have the xB name...can you discribe as much as possible what they look like? What kind of car it is as far as box, or hatch or in between:iono:
Bloated as in they're bigger??
I'm so curious what they'll look like. Did they say what powertrains they would use as well as options availible??

Tamago
12-21-2006, 11:52 PM
no of course, since the scion community is primarily aimed at "hip, cool, and urban" no important numbers were discussed. the xB was wider, beefier, a little more "likeable" front end, no more "oh wtf is that fugly thing" look to it. the xD looked like a shrunk nissan murano IMO. both seemed to be on the current Corolla platform.

55 days and you'll see them officially..