PDA

View Full Version : FT: Polar white Front End in So. Cal

Walter
01-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Interested in trading my 3 door hatchback front end for your sedan front end. Im pretty sure it will be a direct bolt/parts replacement but of course we would measure everything before we begin taking it all apart. I think this would be a unique change to both cars.

My car already has joey modded black inner housing headlights. I will post pics up soon.

eTiMaGo
01-09-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm about 99.999% sure it won't fit without some major modification. Would be one heck of a mod though!

Then again I could be 0.0001% wrong.

dngz
01-09-2007, 10:11 AM
wont fit!!!!!

ECHOKnight2000
01-09-2007, 10:37 AM
That's a cool idea but like others said it won't fit...the size of the fronts are different as well as deminsions. It like trying to put a Camry grill on a Tundra...:biggrin: :thumbsup:

Walter
01-09-2007, 04:07 PM
That's a cool idea but like others said it won't fit...the size of the fronts are different as well as deminsions. It like trying to put a Camry grill on a Tundra...:biggrin: :thumbsup:

I think it might if its done from the fenders forward. I know that in the VW community GTi fronts are swapped with Jetta fronts all the time... I had a Jetta with a euro GTi front myself...

As far as the Yaris goes, the sedan and the LB have the same lines where the fender meets the A pilar and the front door. If fenders, hood, lights, and front bumper are replaced I honestly think it might work... might have to get into swapping core supports but like I said I could be totally wrong because I havent had a sedan at my disposal for measurements.

ECHOKnight2000
01-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I think it might if its done from the fenders forward. I know that in the VW community GTi fronts are swapped with Jetta fronts all the time... I had a Jetta with a euro GTi front myself...

As far as the Yaris goes, the sedan and the LB have the same lines where the fender meets the A pilar and the front door. If fenders, hood, lights, and front bumper are replaced I honestly think it might work... might have to get into swapping core supports but like I said I could be totally wrong because I havent had a sedan at my disposal for measurements.

I admire your perserverence, and if you prove us wrong then you are king! I would love pictures if you do figure it out. I guess you could do it but I believe you would have to really modify it to fit the hatch, I mean really modify it the sedan is wider so...I don't know! Good luck!! Keep us posted!:thumbsup:

Chris07LB
01-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Post some bigger pics of that sick ass LB!!!

Walter
01-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I admire your perserverence, and if you prove us wrong then you are king! I would love pictures if you do figure it out. I guess you could do it but I believe you would have to really modify it to fit the hatch, I mean really modify it the sedan is wider so...I don't know! Good luck!! Keep us posted!:thumbsup:

Hmmm, youre probably right :frown: . I will keep you posted...
Im a Yaris noob, only been in the forums a couple of days.

Maybe someone with a sedan can measure from one side to the other right where the fenders bolt to the apron? That would be a great help and then we would know if it can be done! Hopefully my bubble wont be burst :thumbup:

Here is a bigger pic of my LB (its photoshopped, but mine looks pretty much just like this minus the wheels and red rockers/mirrors. Ill post untouched pics of it soon):
http://a98.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_bca218c04e1adcebeb66c6e4c92b8151.jpg

Blenjar
01-09-2007, 07:47 PM
holy ****

-- Blen

hasher22
01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Here is a bigger pic of my LB (its photoshopped, but mine looks pretty much just like this minus the wheels and red rockers/mirrors. Ill post untouched pics of it soon):
http://a98.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_bca218c04e1adcebeb66c6e4c92b8151.jpg[/QUOTE]

Yea u better........................hehe the front part reminds me of a rabbit for sum reason

johnnyfive
01-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Yea u better........................hehe the front part reminds me of a rabbit for sum reason

a rabbit, like a bunny? or like the car? looks like the blackout fronts on the newer VW's...

sidenote, hasher, i think the design in your sig. looks like a bunny...with the ears behind the "has" and the top of the leggs behind the "22"...

hasher22
01-10-2007, 02:03 AM
a rabbit, like a bunny? or like the car? looks like the blackout fronts on the newer VW's...

sidenote, hasher, i think the design in your sig. looks like a bunny...with the ears behind the "has" and the top of the leggs behind the "22"...

I dont see it........???

Anyway i know why it looks like a rabbit to me, cuz a friend of mine has a white rabbit with a black nose and the rabbits eyes are black........sooo yerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

johnnyfive
01-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Maybe someone with a sedan can measure from one side to the other right where the fenders bolt to the apron? That would be a great help and then we would know if it can be done! Hopefully my bubble wont be burst :thumbup:

52 1/4 inches from bolt to bolt right infront of the strut mounts(as best i can tell in the dark bymyself with a crappy tape ;))...i really wouldnt be suprised if they would switchout. they are suposedly the same frame, with just different skins, and then different behind the b pillars...

but let me know anything else you want to know about the sedan, and i can check it out. i am all about joining the 2 sides of this crazy thing we call the Yaris ;)

hasher22
01-10-2007, 04:01 AM
Walter heres a tip check the headlight lighting mould.......on both hatch and sedan.... :)

Walter
01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Walter heres a tip check the headlight lighting mould.......on both hatch and sedan.... :)

But the headlights will be switched out along with the fenders, hood, and front bumper... possibly even the core support. Its the inner dimensions, or mounting points that concern me. The apron and frame rails need to be the same for it to be a bolt up conversion.

Walter
01-10-2007, 03:45 PM
52 1/4 inches from bolt to bolt right infront of the strut mounts(as best i can tell in the dark bymyself with a crappy tape ;))...i really wouldnt be suprised if they would switchout. they are suposedly the same frame, with just different skins, and then different behind the b pillars...

but let me know anything else you want to know about the sedan, and i can check it out. i am all about joining the 2 sides of this crazy thing we call the Yaris ;)

Awesome, thanks! Im taking the tape measure out when I get home tonight! Wonder if the dealer will let me measure a sedan :laugh: (assuming they have one in stock)

Walter
01-10-2007, 06:09 PM
http://a538.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/19/l_a00850ce92d067daf63ef008c090c0c9.jpg

A pic of my Yaris

Chris07LB
01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Dibs on your headlights when/if you do remove them for the swap.

Walter
01-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Well, if I do the swap its only for trade with someone else. I can think of other things I would spend my money on rather than buy all the parts to do it...

So if its possible and any white sedans come along :thumbup:

as400g33k
01-13-2007, 06:33 AM
so the end result would be a yaris hb with a sedan front? i'd like to see that, can anyone do a chop?

...but won't that make it look like a frankenyaris?

07WYarisRS
01-13-2007, 11:12 AM
still hung up on the VW thing?

looks pretty good though

ASHRAF
01-13-2007, 11:11 PM
will u sell the headlights only

if so... please PM me

hasher22
01-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Introducing the Yaris Hatdan

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3660/toyotayaris788037copyea2.jpg

so yea tried my best, gives u a better look of things, i still stick with my word about the sedan bumper not fitting to the hatch

johnnyfive
01-14-2007, 12:43 AM
not just the bumper, it would be a bumper, hood, headlights, fender swap...

try photoshoping that from one and maybe you will get a better idea :)

dngz
01-14-2007, 01:17 AM
im pretty sure the sedan has a longer front. ur gonna have to do some modding on the frame too

punch
01-14-2007, 06:08 AM
But the headlights will be switched out along with the fenders, hood, and front bumper... possibly even the core support. Its the inner dimensions, or mounting points that concern me. The apron and frame rails need to be the same for it to be a bolt up conversion.

all these dimensions and more can be found in the bodyshop manual, found on this site.

hasher22
01-14-2007, 06:30 AM
The whole front???

thats a big project though still sticking with my "wont fit" statement.....

Chris07LB
01-14-2007, 07:15 AM
will u sell the headlights only

if so... please PM me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB

his reply.....

Well, if I do the swap its only for trade with someone else. I can think of other things I would spend my money on rather than buy all the parts to do it...

So if its possible and any white sedans come along

Walter
01-14-2007, 08:38 PM
not just the bumper, it would be a bumper, hood, headlights, fender swap...

try photoshoping that from one and maybe you will get a better idea :)

Yup, I was saying all those parts would need to be swapped...

However, now that I look at the black plastic caps in front of the rear view mirrors and realize that the shape of the sedan is different to the hatch.

Im still trying to find all the dimensions to be 100% sure because I wont just give up on trying to do this if someone with a white sedan comes along. Hopefully Ill be able to see a few side by side at the get together on wednesday!
:thumbup:

Walter
01-14-2007, 08:50 PM
all these dimensions and more can be found in the bodyshop manual, found on this site.

Do you have a link? Sorry, I couldnt find it in the search :frown:

03Z33
01-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Here's a link to Violins FSM download thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768

I swapped a GTI front end onto my old MK3 Jetta back in the day, and like your idea... unfortunately the Sedan and Hatch Yaris are completely different (like comparing a Passat to a Golf). I'm sure if you want it bad enough you can make it work, but it won't be as simple as bolting on the fenders, hood, core support, etc. It will probably require windshield, doors and roof work also.

johnnyfive
01-15-2007, 10:10 PM
what makes you say they are compleatly different?

they are both based on the vitz frame...

johnnyfive
01-15-2007, 10:35 PM
just spent some time fliping through the colision repair manual, and i really think it will work...

they have seperate sections for replacing all of the parts behind the a-pilars, but for the core components infront, they have just one section for both the sedan, and hatch...including the a-pilars...

might just have to add the little plastic ting infront of the mirrors to the swop list :)

03Z33
01-16-2007, 12:11 AM
what makes you say they are compleatly different?

they are both based on the vitz frame...

The Yaris sedan is based on the Belta, not a Vitz. They have different wheelbases, different width, and different height. The windshield is angled differently as well as the hood. If it works, I will be very surprised but I wish you luck and will be very impressed if you can pull it off!