PDA

View Full Version : Windshield tinting

jonathankoji
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Had my Yaris tinted all around with 35% 3M color stable today. The guy at the shop said they also offer windshield tinting (60$) to help with heat control. Since I'm a complete freak about heat (I HATE Alabama summers) it got me interested.

I'm not looking to get any kind of color/dark tint. Was thinking more along the lines of the very light 3M crystalline tint that blocks 99% IR. I want pure heat rejection, nothing more.

What do you guys think? What's your opinion on windshield tinting?

djct_watt
03-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I have 95% tint (5% light pass, super dark) all around, and 60%(40% light pass) on the windshield. I have no problems with the windshield, but I hate the front windows being so dark. I can't see behind me when backing into dark parking spaces and there is a major blind spot when turning (due to angle and window glare).

Shinare
03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
I thought any darkness to the windshield was illegal here in the states (aside from a small band at the very top). djct is of course in Thailand so it might be different over there.

djct_watt
03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Laws? What laws? Prostitution is illegal in Thailand too. But yeah, be careful with the USA, you can get some pretty nasty tickets. I did run 95/5 rear windows 60/40 front sides and no tint on the windshield in CA, which is illegal. But it was never an issue. I never got cited. But I know many people in CA who have been. Check your local state laws. . . or move to Thailand! I think the maximum fine for a driving related offense here is 500baht ($USD15).

SAV912
03-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Full front windshield tint is illegal. That said, partial stripe tinting at the top is legal, and I have mine done at 30%, front windows at 30% and rear windows and hatch at 18%.

I would definitely get the stripe on the windshield top though. Definitely has helped me with glare during sunrises and sunsets, and also every little bit helps since my car is black and Georgia summers do their best to mimick Alabama summers.

Here's my windshield:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/SAVdub/Toyota%20Yaris/IMG_9069.jpg

Here's the difference between the windshield and 35% on the doors:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/SAVdub/Toyota%20Yaris/IMG_9061.jpg

And here's the difference between 35% and 18%:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/SAVdub/Toyota%20Yaris/IMG_9059.jpg

Hope this helps. :drinking:

-C

47_MasoN_47
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Be careful with tint in AL. Cops freaking hate it. I think all cops in north AL had their mothers raped and killed by tinted windows or something. I don't have any tint at all for that reason. I'm in Florence, about an hour west of you.

sickpuppy1
03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Doing the "eyebrow" does make a big difference on front, have it on mine. World of difference. I may inquire about a UV only block though ....good idea.

jonathankoji
03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Diggin' the tint SAV.:thumbsup:

If I remember correctly, the lighter shades are something like ~85% VLT. So I figure most people, aka cops, wouldn't even notice it's tinted. It would basically act as a clear heat protective film.

As far as the 6" strip at the top, I considered that too but I read a few instances (online) of people's windshields cracking due to uneven heat distribution/absorption or something. I don't know how valid that is and I figure with a car that is only 3 years old it wouldn't be an issue (this is 2011 after all, not 1960. I figure modern automotive glass is resilient enough) but again I'm not sure. It was enough to scare me away from getting it done.

Trubin
03-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Up here in NY any kind of Tint is an automatic Cop magnet. Even if its 5%, the band on the top portion of the windshield I believe is Illegal too. In the summer I just leave 1/4" opening, if I leave it outside but only in good neighborhoods.

JTDBT903
03-25-2011, 09:10 AM
How did the tint over the dot matrix come out? Any pics from outside?

kustom play
03-25-2011, 10:45 AM
i have my whole car tinted 35% including the whole front window

never had a problem, been pulled over a bunch of times and the cop never seemed to notice

SAV912
03-25-2011, 05:44 PM
How did the tint over the dot matrix come out? Any pics from outside?

Seems fine to me, it was professionally done and so I haven't noticed any bubbles or popping going into the third year of a searing Georgia summer.

Outside:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/SAVdub/Toyota%20Yaris/000_0120.jpg

This is the best daylight shot I have close enough to the windshield to see a difference from the tinted part to the non-tinted part. Ignore the awful stock suspension. :biggrin:

I'll see if I can get a better picture from outside when I get off work. Cheers.

-C

JTDBT903
03-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Seems fine to me, it was professionally done and so I haven't noticed any bubbles or popping going into the third year of a searing Georgia summer.

This is the best daylight shot I have close enough to the windshield to see a difference from the tinted part to the non-tinted part. Ignore the awful stock suspension. :biggrin:

I'll see if I can get a better picture from outside when I get off work. Cheers.

-C

Thanks for the pic!