PDA

View Full Version : Torquing those Lug Nuts...

Doc Zaius
01-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Hey everybody... quick question... bought a 1/2" torque wrench last week, and rotated my tires, front to back, and tightened everything to the factory spec 76 ft.lbs. I've been told that its a good idea to re-torque all your lug nuts after 100 km or so just to make sure everything is still snug. Now, in the instruction manual for the wrench, they say you should never try to torque an already tight nut... its best to loosen it, and then re-torque for an accurate reading.

My question is this... should I just ensure each nut is still tight with the wrench, or should I loosen each nut individually and re-torque, possibly undo-ing the last 100 km "settling-into-place" phase...?

Thanks! :smile:

largeorangefont
01-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey everybody... quick question... bought a 1/2" torque wrench last week, and rotated my tires, front to back, and tightened everything to the factory spec 76 ft.lbs. I've been told that its a good idea to re-torque all your lug nuts after 100 km or so just to make sure everything is still snug. Now, in the instruction manual for the wrench, they say you should never try to torque an already tight nut... its best to loosen it, and then re-torque for an accurate reading.

My question is this... should I just ensure each nut is still tight with the wrench, or should I loosen each nut individually and re-torque, possibly undo-ing the last 100 km "settling-into-place" phase...?

Thanks! :smile:

Don't loosen it. Just apply smooth even pressure until the torque wrench clicks, then stop.

johnnyfive
01-11-2007, 11:21 PM
the only reason the manual says to losen it first, is so you know the nut is not over tight. if you put them on with the wrench in the first place, you can be sure that they are not over tight. and re-tightening your lug nuts is more to make sure they are still tight, more often than retightening them :)

ChinoCharles
01-11-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he didn't get a clicking torque wrench.

DID I WIN DID I WIN?

mikeukrainetz
01-12-2007, 12:04 AM
my new rims and lugs needed re-tightening shortly after installing them.
torqued them down once with a half inch torque wrench then again just after.
they had loosened off slightly.
I highly recommend doing it twice.

Doc Zaius
01-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Charles... sorry! You lose! :wink:

I bought a clicking-style torque wrench. Its pretty sweet... never used one before. But ya, the idea of loosening them first to ensure they're not over-tightened makes perfect sense.

Thanks all who replied! :biggrin:

ChinoCharles
01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Aw shit.

cali yaris
07-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Charles FTL :smile:

brickhardmeat
07-13-2007, 12:19 PM
one click:wink: