PDA

View Full Version : Factory lowering springs

VitzBoy
01-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Anyone know how much the factory Eibach Pro-Kit/TRD springs lower the car and how much it costs to buy this from the dealer and have them install it? Thx.

echo_hrs
01-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Not sure about the US cost, but I have the dealer installed TRD/Eibach Pro-Kit on my Canadian Yaris, they lower the car about 1.75".

Canadian price including installation was $514 CDN (440 USD)...

birdy
01-19-2006, 05:09 AM
440 installed is Insane. The springs are 200ish and I know for a fact its not worth 200 to get somebody to put springs on. I am gonna wait for tein or h&r to make something also because i'm not a fan of eibach really. I have whiteline springs and tokico shocks on my wrx and I love how stiff and precise they are and I want to same feeling in this car.

echo_hrs
01-19-2006, 09:14 AM
440 installed is Insane. The springs are 200ish and I know for a fact its not worth 200 to get somebody to put springs on. I am gonna wait for tein or h&r to make something also because i'm not a fan of eibach really. I have whiteline springs and tokico shocks on my wrx and I love how stiff and precise they are and I want to same feeling in this car.

The springs improve the handling dramatically, I paid the dealer gouging to get the springs on the car before I took delivery, and I prefer to have everything OEM, and dealer warrantied...

Cheers

birdy
01-19-2006, 04:18 PM
The springs improve the handling dramatically, I paid the dealer gouging to get the springs on the car before I took delivery, and I prefer to have everything OEM, and dealer warrantied...

Cheers
yeah thats true I guess you are paying for the warranty.

why?
01-23-2006, 11:05 PM
How is the drop? Do you find your car scraping the ground at all?

After basically destroying my front bumper on my Saab I am a little worried about lowering any car.

And my Saab supposedly has 4" of ground clearance.

echo_hrs
01-24-2006, 01:06 AM
How is the drop? Do you find your car scraping the ground at all?

After basically destroying my front bumper on my Saab I am a little worried about lowering any car.

And my Saab supposedly has 4" of ground clearance.

The car is stored right now, but I can say (also from having the same drop on my old Echo Hatch) that the front and rear overhangs are so small there is little room to scrape. It is still quite high, since the factory springs are monster truck height...

hoahmaru
02-02-2006, 05:28 PM
The car is stored right now, but I can say (also from having the same drop on my old Echo Hatch) that the front and rear overhangs are so small there is little room to scrape. It is still quite high, since the factory springs are monster truck height...

I'am getting my Yaris 3 door RS in March and I'am planning to lower it, but I live in Calgary where we get alot of snow sometime. Do you tink the springs you got at the dealership is too low for winter driving or should they be ok?

chessclubloser
02-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I'am getting my Yaris 3 door RS in March and I'am planning to lower it, but I live in Calgary where we get alot of snow sometime. Do you tink the springs you got at the dealership is too low for winter driving or should they be ok?

I have the lowering springs on my 4-door RS and I think they're the best thing I could have done. I love the look, the handling is a big improvement. It decreases the body roll a lot. I live in Ontario and I'm not too worried about the snowfall causing problems. I think unless your consistently driving in deep snow it won't be a problem. The Yaris sits somewhat high to begin with and the spring lower the car 30mm (1 1/4") so it really brings it down to the same if not a little lower than other cars.

jcove
02-18-2006, 02:18 PM
I have the lowering springs on my 4-door RS and I think they're the best thing I could have done. I love the look, the handling is a big improvement. It decreases the body roll a lot. I live in Ontario and I'm not too worried about the snowfall causing problems. I think unless your consistently driving in deep snow it won't be a problem. The Yaris sits somewhat high to begin with and the spring lower the car 30mm (1 1/4") so it really brings it down to the same if not a little lower than other cars.

:thumbup: Good to know, as I'm thinking about doing it too. I LOVE MY NEW CAR!!! :biggrin:

GabL
03-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Other than TEIN, does anyone knows who make dampener kits for the Yaris? I called up TEIN USA, but they didn't have the kit for Yaris yet (that should be apparent, since the car is not yet released.), but I learned from the Japan site there is one for the Vitz available... :mad:

http://www.tein.co.jp/ti/comment/img/9l702.jpg (Type Wagon Damper)

http://www.tein.co.jp/ti/comment/cl70.html (Other dampers)

SmellyTofu
03-10-2006, 04:36 PM
One word on TRD springs. A misconception that they are the same as the Eibach prokit is wrong. Eibach may be producing them but they will not be the same as the prokit. There will be variations to the spring rate etc and TRD do test each spring to how they design them to suit each car. Not to what Eibach says. They are a mear manufacturing plant which many cars are made from components from different companies and then badged Toyota.

echo_hrs
03-10-2006, 05:41 PM
One word on TRD springs. A misconception that they are the same as the Eibach prokit is wrong. Eibach may be producing them but they will not be the same as the prokit. There will be variations to the spring rate etc and TRD do test each spring to how they design them to suit each car. Not to what Eibach says. They are a mear manufacturing plant which many cars are made from components from different companies and then badged Toyota.

My dealer installed lowering springs were indeed Eibach Pro-Kit, with all the supporting documentation from Eibach, not TRD...

SmellyTofu
03-10-2006, 05:52 PM
So therefore you did not get TRD springs but I wasn't really referring to you specifically. Just a passing comment. TCI would not be putting up the warranty unless TCI has supplier branded items as an official thing. The warranty would be with the dealership itself.

roundysquare
03-10-2006, 09:09 PM
If you swap out just the stock springs for lowering springs will the stock strut and shocks fail sooner? They are running constantly compressed 1.25"-1.75" more than normal....I'm new to this tuning stuff. Thanks

SmellyTofu
03-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Yes and no. It depends on the design of the standard shocks but in order to get the best handling, do both springs and shocks. Doing springs alone give the effect of worn shocks leaving very little spring control.

sumik
03-11-2006, 01:26 AM
There's a big misunderstaning here with the springs.
Springs are indeed manufactured by eibach but I guess they just make em, they didn't desing them.
If u actually go on Eibach website u won't see any Yaris springsm which means they just manufactured them for the delerships.
Eibach is one of the best spring manufacturers, better for sure than Tien, but i'd rather wait for an actuall spring set made for performance and not for springs desinged for Toyota so they will keep your warranty, and not make a drastic change that will improve the car a lot but make wear and tear faster on suspension.

SmellyTofu
03-11-2006, 01:50 AM
TRD Sportivo suspension kit is not hardcore but a balance between comfort for everyday driving and street performance. (btw, TRD does do spring and shock combinations as one package). It you want less comfort and can live with harsh ride on sedate trips to your local shops down the road, then TRD Sportivo bits aren't for you.

birdy
03-11-2006, 03:52 AM
i wish trd had coilovers for the yaris

I would get those. Every car I have owned has had a harsh ride so I am used to it.

GabL
03-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Eibach is one of the best spring manufacturers, better for sure than Tien.

That's nice to know. However, Eibach doesn't have a suspension system specifically for Yaris yet, and dunno if they will have one, that's the cons...

The TRD set (http://trdparts.jp/english/list_new-vitz.html) is 95000 yen, 25mm lowering on both front and back, while the TEIN Type Wagon (http://www.tein.co.jp/wadamp2t.html) is also 95000 yen, 35mm lowering on both.

Is TRD good compared to Eibach?

sumik
03-11-2006, 10:52 PM
TRD is a departament developed to get more people interested in Toyota.
Remember that when u install TRD parts on the car that part is still under warranty and if it causes let's say shocks to die after short time u will get it replaced under warranty. But then u gotta settle for lets say smaller drop, and less of a responsive springs.
If u go with Tien, HKS, Eibach etc... U will get better response but they will wear out your shocks faster and they will void your warranty for the part it caused to wear out fast.
So it all depends on if u wanna go Pro with your suspension or just amateur and cool looking. And If you're not doing hard cornering and race a lot then I say go for Toyota Springs.

Master
03-13-2006, 12:56 PM
In my experience, all "TRD" springs are manufacterd by Eibach. All shocks are made by Bilstein. You can go to the dealer and ask to install TRD components, but that's what you're going to get. All the shocks and springs are the same rate as the ones on the market that are not "TRD."

The only TRD specific rated springs and shocks are in Japan.

It would take YEARS probably when the car is out of warrenty for the stock shocks to be worn out by an after market spring. Shocks nowadays are gas charged and hold up very well. I believe stock shocks on most toyotas are made by koni or tobiko.

The only difference is that you keep your "warranty" if you get the components installed at the dealership. I don't know of many dealerships around my area that void a car for being lowered. They must be more anal about that in canada.

GabL
03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Well, I'm thinking to get the set (spring + damper) if I am to lower the car. So the shock should be able to run longer than the stock shock with lowered spring, am I right?

sumik
03-13-2006, 03:19 PM
It would take YEARS probably when the car is out of warrenty for the stock shocks to be worn out by an after market spring. Shocks nowadays are gas charged and hold up very well. I believe stock shocks on most toyotas are made by koni or tobiko.

Well what about Matrix owners that Had Tien springs installed and some of the cars had shocks blow out after a year, makes the thought kinda scary, eh ?

Master
03-13-2006, 04:55 PM
yea i know is300's with h&r drops (2 inches or more) run stock shocks for five years now.

i guess it depends.

GabL
03-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Well what about Matrix owners that Had Tien springs installed and some of the cars had shocks blow out after a year, makes the thought kinda scary, eh ?

And the Matrix is built in Cambridge... ...

jcove
03-14-2006, 12:45 PM
In my experience, all "TRD" springs are manufacterd by Eibach. All shocks are made by Bilstein. You can go to the dealer and ask to install TRD components, but that's what you're going to get. All the shocks and springs are the same rate as the ones on the market that are not "TRD."

The only TRD specific rated springs and shocks are in Japan.

The only difference is that you keep your "warranty" if you get the components installed at the dealership. I don't know of many dealerships around my area that void a car for being lowered. They must be more anal about that in canada.

It all depends on how much driving you do, as to when your shocks should be changed. It's sooner than you'd think. Most people agree that shocks should be changed approximately 75,000- 95,000 kms here in Canada.

GabL
03-14-2006, 01:34 PM
It all depends on how much driving you do, as to when your shocks should be changed. It's sooner than you'd think. Most people agree that shocks should be changed approximately 75,000- 95,000 kms here in Canada.

Esp. in Toronto, where we have pot holes on every street. :tongue:

sumik
03-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Well there's cars and cars, some like mentioned Matrix owners had their shocks go out after 1 year of driving(probably a lot of driving) and others like my buddys 97 VW Golf GTI rode on aftermarket springs for 230,000km :D

DJ_SpaRky
03-23-2006, 08:50 AM
i wish trd had coilovers for the yaris

I would get those. Every car I have owned has had a harsh ride so I am used to it.

one word, Sportivo.

LOL j/p, "TRD" makes some coilovers, but they are under the brand of Sportivo aka WayDo Sportivo. http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_sportivo.html 1st row center.

plushDJ
04-01-2006, 02:19 PM
So from what I'm understanding we have to order aftermarket parts from Japan, for now. Am I right??

ricko
04-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Only if you want to go full race, and lower the comfort level of the car. Remember race tracks, even the bumpy ones like Mosport, are VERY smooth compared to the street. The factory kit (springs only) is a very good compromise if you are not a racer. Only took a day to order and install mine here in Ontariariario!

jcove
04-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Only if you want to go full race, and lower the comfort level of the car. Remember race tracks, even the bumpy ones like Mosport, are VERY smooth compared to the street. The factory kit (springs only) is a very good compromise if you are not a racer. Only took a day to order and install mine here in Ontariariario!

I've seen in another thread about a set of shocks you can get as well that are from TRD and they work really nice too. I can't remember what thread it's in. It was one of the people from Japan, I think. Sportivo kit or something like that.....

DJ_SpaRky
04-05-2006, 12:42 PM

I'm leaning towards the Tein EDFC System, because you can have Presets, one for street & one for track. So I don't kill myself....or somebody else.

Springs should only take about 4 hours (maybe less) to do....IF you have the proper tools

ricko
04-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Adjustable suspension .......... that is sooooo cool, and obviously the way to go. Me, I am happy with the improvement I got from the factory lowering springs: improved looks, slightly improved performance, but still very acceptable ride.

DJ_SpaRky
04-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Here's the info on EDFC: http://www.tein.com/edfc.html

it's great to Street & Track cars, mine will be a daily driver & then autocross or SCCA race every once in a while.

Sp33dY
04-05-2006, 06:11 PM
EDFC aint cheap ... but works very very well :) All it does is attach tot he top of strut towers, and turns the adjustable damper/shock tops for you to preset settings defined by Tein . You can do it manually jsut as easily, but we all like our little gadgets :D

DJ_SpaRky
04-06-2006, 07:06 AM
true, but the SuperCompacts that I want aren't cheap either. I might just have to suffer & just get the (non-adj.) Basics or maybe some D2s, we'll have to see. It will be a priority to get it as low as possible, 2.5" maybe 3".

why?
04-06-2006, 09:17 AM
That is really low. I wouldn't even be able to drive it around town at that height.

DJ_SpaRky
04-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Well Florida (for the most part) is Flat & I can take advantage of that, plus most of the roads are pretty smooth.

why?
04-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Lucky You. While most of the roads around here are flat, to get into any plaze or anything else there is always a not to small hill for some silly reason.

ricko
04-07-2006, 09:17 AM
No speedbumps, curbs, or potholes in Florida???? I live in a ski resort, every spring our roads look like a warzone. The cities in S.Ontario are even worse.

DJ_SpaRky
04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Speed Bumps aren't too bad, & I can esily aviod potholes & curbs.

ricko
04-07-2006, 02:50 PM
That's the advantage of not having to deal with our Canadian winters. Of course you do have HURRICANES .................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJ_SpaRky
04-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Been there done that, those are easy, just stay at home for a couple of days or flee & stay at somebody else's house. but it's only a couple days max. I watch the news when one is coming, so I'll know when to GTFO. LOL

bdiu
04-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Hahha. When you gonna get your car lowered DJ?

ricko
04-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Hurricanes .......... best excuse for a turbo-charger I've heard yet, SpaRky.

DJ_SpaRky
04-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Hahha. When you gonna get your car lowered DJ?

soon after I acctually get the car. oh & I get the money too. LOL

Hurricanes .......... best excuse for a turbo-charger I've heard yet, SpaRky.

Maybe I can use the "I need it for safety" line. LOL

ricko
04-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Worked for me. Mention the word "safety" ........ no questions asked!!!!! I might have more of a problem explaining 17" wheels, and a turbo-charger though. Maybe I'll try "fuel-economy" for them???

bikergal
05-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Does it make that big of a difference with the lowering springs/shocks? Is handling that much better? From the pictures I have seen online of the Yaris it seems to sit up pretty high. Wondering :confused:

I live on a very bad road (think dirt/potholes) and I don't want to lower it if I am going to be hitting bottom every pothole I hit :frown:

ricko
05-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes Bikergal, the TRD lowering kit does tighten up the handling, but it is NOT to be confused with a race suspension, by any stretch of the imagination. The ride quality over bumps, potholes etc. is still very good, I have yet to bottom out. I live in a ski resort with lots of rough paved roads, so I've had lots of ops to test this out. As for dirt roads, we have lots here, but I tend to drive a little slower (stone chips) on dirt and gravel so it's not as much of a test. Like I said the kit is not street-racer stuff, but it does make the car more fun to drive with little or no trade-off for comfort.

bikergal
05-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks ricko for the reply.

I guess from all the pictures and talk on here it seems this car sits really high. I have a truck so I am used to sitting high so this may not be as big a deal to me as others.

ricko
05-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes the car sits high, and the seating position is higher than what I am used to. The springs lower the car about 1.8" which does not sound like a lot, but it really affects the balance in a positive way. There is less body lean, and as a result the car is more fun to drive. It took a day or two to get used to the more upright seating position (and the centre mounted instruments), but now I enjoy driving my Yaris, as much as I appreciate it's practicality.

SmellyTofu
05-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Yes Bikergal, the TRD lowering kit does tighten up the handling, but it is NOT to be confused with a race suspension, by any stretch of the imagination. The ride quality over bumps, potholes etc. is still very good, I have yet to bottom out. I live in a ski resort with lots of rough paved roads, so I've had lots of ops to test this out. As for dirt roads, we have lots here, but I tend to drive a little slower (stone chips) on dirt and gravel so it's not as much of a test. Like I said the kit is not street-racer stuff, but it does make the car more fun to drive with little or no trade-off for comfort.

I'll 2nd that.. though I've got the full kit (shocks & springs) + semi slick tyres.. it's not that bad in terms of comfort.. put it this way, I remember a brand new DC2 Integra Type R having poorer suspension comfort than these.