PDA

View Full Version : lightweight flywheel from fidanza

dngz
01-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Just got an email back that Fidanza has a lightweight flywheel for the 2007 Yaris 1.5 DOHC. The part number is 133151. Just waiting back for pricing and info!

Chris07LB
01-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Had one on my 330 BMW. Made quite the difference.

acrbill
01-16-2007, 11:07 AM
The Fidanza site says the flywheel weighs 8 lbs.

Here is one on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIDANZA-Flywheel-Scion-Xb-Xa-1-5L-2004-ALUMINUM-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33732QQhashZitem120 073751432QQihZ002QQitemZ120073751432QQrdZ1QQsspage nameZWDVW

Doing some searching shows that the stocker weighs 15lbs.

Galavoxx
01-16-2007, 12:21 PM
If you do the flywheel, you have to do the clutch. And you have to do a DYI. :biggrin:

I would love to do mine but it's going to have to wait until later in the year.

St_G
01-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I get nervous about mods in the powertrain that aren't TRD; it just seems like it would be too easy for warranty work to be denied.

acrbill
01-16-2007, 01:16 PM
I get nervous about mods in the powertrain that aren't TRD; it just seems like it would be too easy for warranty work to be denied.

That is very true. If you have warranty work done on the engine or trans and they discover an aftermarket flywheel there is a good chance they will deny coverage.

This is probably not a mod for the bolt on mod crowd.

CASTREX
01-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Had one on my 330 BMW. Made quite the difference.

What are the pros and cons of this mod in a small engine like the Yar?

A BMW 330 is not a good reference...

Chris07LB
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Wasnt making a reference to the Yaris... I was stating I had one in my 330, and it made a difference. Read.

dngz
01-16-2007, 06:14 PM
you think a $800 CAD Tom's lightweight flywheel will be under warranty?

ChinoCharles
01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
A good way to check would be to call the dealer and see if they'll install it.

Yaris TTE JWRC
01-17-2007, 01:32 AM
you think a $800 CAD Tom's lightweight flywheel will be under warranty?

Damn, i aint spending no $800 just for a flywheel, thats crazy.

gr8yaris
01-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Less "rotational mass", more horepower goes thru to the wheels. There is also faster clutch engagement during shifting. I replaced the stock 15 lb flywheel in my JDM powered 1.3 L turbo Tercel with 8 lb JUN flywheel and it was a huge improvement in acceleration.

Toyota Yaris............1.5L NA.......2300 lbs....... HP=105+
Toyota JDM Tercel....1.3L Turbo...2100 lbs....... HP=160+

graywolf_14
01-18-2007, 02:40 AM
Or if it looks basicly like a stock one dont say a dang thing.

Chris07LB
01-18-2007, 09:32 AM

:confused: :iono:

boris13
01-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Will a lighter flywheel decrease torque?

Galavoxx
01-18-2007, 01:05 PM

No. :biggrin:

CASTREX
01-18-2007, 01:16 PM

But on the down side, I've heard that revs will also drop faster... is this right?

Galavoxx
01-18-2007, 01:43 PM
But on the down side, I've heard that revs will also drop faster... is this right?

If you were to sit with the car in neutral or with the clutch depressed and rev the engine, yes, the revs will decrease more quickly from high rpms. This is because the lighter flywheel stores less energy. It takes less energy to rev it up and it take less time to dissipate that energy. On the upside, engine breaking is greatly increased as is the engine's ability to rev faster. The car will slow more quickly on downshifts without using the brakes. Some peolpe like this, some do not. This is another reason why this mod is not a bolt on and is not for a person looking for "driveability" in the car. Depending on how light the flywheel is made, it can make the car very unconfortable to drive. Throttle can be very revvy, some say twitchy. Of course, on a car with only 100 or so horsepower, it probably wont be that severe. :rolleyes:

ChinoCharles
01-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Sounds like fun. I engine brake a lot too. Its like a game... "See how far you can drive without using your brakes!" :smile:

Doc Zaius
01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
... Depending on how light the flywheel is made, it can make the car very unconfortable to drive. Throttle can be very revvy, some say twitchy. Of course, on a car with only 100 or so horsepower, it probably wont be that severe. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to get a lightened flywheel at some point... maybe a year or so from now. I'm hoping it might negate some of the effects of the drive-by-wire throttle where the revs stay up after you take your foot off the gas to shift. Either way, this car's clutch already took a fair bit of getting used to... a lighter flywheel will definately require you to have skill to shift smoothly!

gr8yaris
01-18-2007, 01:53 PM

:confused: Statement ^^^ doesn't make sense. :confused:

Galavoxx
01-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Sounds like fun. I engine brake a lot too. Its like a game... "See how far you can drive without using your brakes!" :smile:

haha. I love that game!! Drives my gf crazy when I grab a huge downshift on the highway and then just coast at high RPMs instead of braking. A lighter flywheel would really help in actually slowing the car. For such a small car, the Yaris just wants to keep going and going. The flywheel must be massive!

Doc Zaius
01-18-2007, 01:58 PM
haha. I love that game!! Drives my gf crazy when I grab a huge downshift on the highway and then just coast at high RPMs instead of braking. A lighter flywheel would really help in actually slowing the car. For such a small car, the Yaris just wants to keep going and going. The flywheel must be massive!

Do you guys still blip the throttle when downshifting? Or let out the clutch slowly and let the revs climb themselves?

Galavoxx
01-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Just thinking... a big flywheel will help increase gas mileage. If the engine keeps spinning with all that stored energy from the flywheel, it doesn't need as much gas to keep going. Probably why there's not much engine braking. :(

Galavoxx
01-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Do you guys still blip the throttle when downshifting? Or let out the clutch slowly and let the revs climb themselves?

I usually don't blip unless something serious is going to happen, like a 180 degree left hander!! haha. :headbang:

Yarii
01-18-2007, 02:46 PM
If you mean just while driving then no, it'll take slightly more energy to speed up the heavier flywheel to cruise speed, but once there, it takes basically no extra energy to keep it going around at steady speed.
You get less engine braking with a heavier flywheel because the drag of the drivetrain is being acted on by the energy stored in the flywheel's spinning mass. Less spinning mass=less force counteracting the wheels=more engine braking.

Just thinking... a big flywheel will help increase gas mileage. If the engine keeps spinning with all that stored energy from the flywheel, it doesn't need as much gas to keep going. Probably why there's not much engine braking. :(

ChinoCharles
01-18-2007, 03:03 PM

It depends... in normal driving situations I'll always give a little gas when downshifting, and I mean little. It doesn't take much on this weird DBW throttle.

If I'm... um... in a hurry (haha), I won't bother. My size 14 shoes won't allow me to heel-toe with the pedals the way they are.

Galavoxx
01-18-2007, 03:15 PM
It depends... in normal driving situations I'll always give a little gas when downshifting, and I mean little. It doesn't take much on this weird DBW throttle.

If I'm... um... in a hurry (haha), I won't bother. My size 14 shoes won't allow me to heel-toe with the pedals the way they are.

I feel the same way about the throttle. But more importantly, it's good to hear there's another poor bastard out there with size 14s!!! Here's to bigfoot. :drinking:

YarisPR
01-18-2007, 03:29 PM
I'am kinda lost.... ehat are you talking about when downshifting ? taking curves? ..... talk to me in spanish hahaha just kidding .. but a nice explination would be nice :biggrin:

ChinoCharles
01-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Wait, I thought you were a street racer. You don't know what downshifting is?

Does EVERYONE in PR drive an auto?

Downshifting is when you drop down a gear for whatever reason, the most productive of which is entering a turn... you want to be in the gear that is going to put you at the optimal point in your powerband for when you're exiting the turn. If you enter a turn at 45 MPH but take the turn at 25 MPH and you're still in fourth gear, you're going to crawl off of the apex and come out of the turn slow. If you drop down to second gear before entering the turn, though, not only will you not have to brake as hard going into the turn, but you'll be in a good gear for when you're coming out. You'll exit the turn as fast as you could have.

Maybe someone with some track experience can refine this a bit.

YarisPR
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Wait, I thought you were a street racer. You don't know what downshifting is?

Does EVERYONE in PR drive an auto?

Downshifting is when you drop down a gear for whatever reason, the most productive of which is entering a turn... you want to be in the gear that is going to put you at the optimal point in your powerband for when you're exiting the turn. If you enter a turn at 45 MPH but take the turn at 25 MPH and you're still in fourth gear, you're going to crawl off of the apex and come out of the turn slow. If you drop down to second gear before entering the turn, though, not only will you not have to brake as hard going into the turn, but you'll be in a good gear for when you're coming out. You'll exit the turn as fast as you could have.

Maybe someone with some track experience can refine this a bit.

u smartass hahaha I'am beginin to like this guy :biggrin: u gotta love his sarcasm

Its obvious I know what downshifting is and I do it a lot its all curves here :biggrin: In PR we drive everything you should visit PR maybe we can teach u a thing or too hahaha :biggrin: And u might learn some reaggaeton dirty dancing while u are here :biggrin:

I was refering to the term "blip" in a post before blip terminology does it mean hit the gas? We don't use that term here :biggrin:

Doc Zaius
01-18-2007, 10:21 PM
I was refering to the term "blip" in a post before blip terminology does it mean hit the gas? We don't use that term here :biggrin:

Ya... I meant to give the gas pedal a quick hit of gas. For example, say you're driving down the highway in 5th, then a corner is coming up... you can let your foot off the gas and start to slow down... when you get near the corner, you put in the clutch to down to downshift to 3rd... just before moving your right foot over to the brake, you hit the gas while the clutch is in to rev the engine... then when you let go of the clutch in 3rd, the revs are matched and the car doesn't suddenly slow down too much. I do it on my motorcycle... I've only recently started doing it on my car, so I'm asking how other people downshift! Always learning! :smile:

And u might learn some reaggaeton dirty dancing while u are here :biggrin:

HAAHHAHAhahahahha!! AWESOME!! reggaeton!!! :biggrin:

ChinoCharles
01-19-2007, 11:57 AM
u smartass hahaha I'am beginin to like this guy :biggrin: u gotta love his sarcasm

Its obvious I know what downshifting is and I do it a lot its all curves here :biggrin: In PR we drive everything you should visit PR maybe we can teach u a thing or too hahaha :biggrin: And u might learn some reaggaeton dirty dancing while u are here :biggrin:

:drinking: I probably could learn a thing or two... about driving and about Puerto Rican women. Ooh la la. :wub:

And yes, blip means to tap the gas.

YarisPR
01-21-2007, 05:28 PM
:drinking: I probably could learn a thing or two... about driving and about Puerto Rican women. Ooh la la. :wub:

And yes, blip means to tap the gas.

Last week me and some friends where asking ourselves what guy from outside puerto rico see in puertorrican women. I know what i like about them but we go crazy for women from other countries hahaha

frownonfun
02-03-2009, 11:02 PM
found this distributor selling the Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel (part #133151) for $350 rather than Fidanza's $433...

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/cart/prod_listbs.asp?CID=&SCID=156&task=search&vlink=&ClientID=&strSearch=&selMake=Scion&selModel=xB&selYear=2005&selAddInfo=All&selItemengine=1.5L&strProdListTitle=Fidanza+Aluminum+Flywheel&selSort=

from what i understand this xB flywheel fits the yaris. not sure if it fits the 09's just yet but we'll see when it gets to my post box!!