PDA

View Full Version : got the trd suspension installed...

tekmoe
01-16-2007, 08:10 PM
but now the tops under the hood are sticking up about 1/2". it didn't do this on the stock suspension. i took my car to a performance shop here in dallas and the mechanic took the left side apart and examined it. he said there is nothing wrong with the way it is currently setup. i asked him if this was dangerous to leave it the way it is and he said most likely not. he said the new volkswagens also have the same setup where the tops stick up about 1/2" when the car is on the ground. he also mentioned working on a new 06 mercedes a couple of weeks with the same type of suspension design and it was also like this.

anyone else notice this? i have talked to another member on this forum and he said his is exactly the same way. i'm thinking maybe this is how the car was designed...?

ChinoCharles
01-16-2007, 08:12 PM
The tops of what?

How do they feel?

YarisPR
01-16-2007, 09:38 PM
The tops of what?

How do they feel?

x2

tekmoe
01-16-2007, 11:00 PM
sorry guys. i mean the tops of the struts that stick up into the engine compartment under the hood that are held by the single nut on each side. with the stock struts, the tops were flush with the chasis. with the trd struts, the tops sit up about 1/2" from the chassis. the car feels fine and i don't hear any weird noises coming from the engine compartment.

ken at sparkstrd says i should not be driving the car. after talking to the mechanic at the performance shop it sounds like the car is perfectly fine to drive.

just wondering if anyone else is in the same scenario...

Black Yaris
01-16-2007, 11:16 PM
by the "tops" are you refering to the strut mount, also know as a bearing plate? As far as I knew the upper strut mount is not changed when installing a lowered suspension, not even a TRD one.

PetersRedYaris
01-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Do you have the struts and springs, or just the springs? Springs alone should not change the top of the strut. TRD struts on the other hand, I don't know. You need to find someone on here with the TRD struts to compare.

tekmoe
01-17-2007, 07:37 AM
yeah i changed both the struts and the springs to trd.

black yaris, i'm talking about the very top of the struts where the dust cover fits onto.

03Z33
01-17-2007, 09:48 AM
That's normal. Nothing to worry about, I can try to snap a picture of my setup later to show you it looks the same. Did you use an air gun to tighten both nuts (below and above the strut bearing)? If so, you should be good to go.

tekmoe
01-17-2007, 11:27 AM
That's normal. Nothing to worry about, I can try to snap a picture of my setup later to show you it looks the same. Did you use an air gun to tighten both nuts (below and above the strut bearing)? If so, you should be good to go.

ken at sparkstrd insists something is wrong and that by driving the car like this it will create problems. he keeps telling me the trd engineers say it should not be like this. when i took the car to the mechanic yesterday, he took it apart and said there isn't anything that can be done to stop the top from sticking up. i'm so confused right now.

at this point i am leaning towards what the mechanic said. basically the rubber bushing between the chassis and the top cap has all the weight on it. he even said the new volkswagens have the same exact design where the tops stick up about 1/2".

this is so irritating.

eTiMaGo
01-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Can you take a picture of what you mean? it's really woth 1000 words :wink:

tekmoe
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
yes, sorry. pictures really do tell most of the story.

http://www.djtekmoe.com/pictures/P1010194.JPG

Doc Zaius
01-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty sure mine stick up a bit too... I'll look when I'm home.

tekmoe
01-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure mine stick up a bit too... I'll look when I'm home.

that's the general consensus i am gathering. i'm glad i'm not the only one. i just don't feel good when a TRD engineer says it should not be doing that. thanks for your input.

johnnyfive
01-18-2007, 12:19 AM
stole this pic from chris's diy spring change thread, but definetly stock cap does not sit like that....and with just lowering springs installed mine definetly dont look like that...might be a function of the new struts, but i definetly dont like how it looks....
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=912&stc=1&d=1154134115

tekmoe
01-18-2007, 07:26 AM
stole this pic from chris's diy spring change thread, but definetly stock cap does not sit like that....and with just lowering springs installed mine definetly dont look like that...might be a function of the new struts, but i definetly dont like how it looks....
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=912&stc=1&d=1154134115

i got an email back from ken at sparkstrd and he says hes has confirmed my car is perfectly normal.

i'm gonna stop worrying about it. it's not healthy!

Go4th
01-24-2007, 03:58 PM
any one need to have an alignment after just the trd springs install?

web site (trdsparks thats selling them) says "The TRD Red Lowering Spring Set lowers the car 1.2” in both front and rear without changing the vehicle’s suspension geometry."

Dose this mean you dont have to get an alignment?

tekmoe
01-24-2007, 04:25 PM

web site (trdsparks thats selling them) says "The TRD Red Lowering Spring Set lowers the car 1.2” in both front and rear without changing the vehicle’s suspension geometry."

my car drives the same as it did before i installed the springs and struts. i don't think an alignment is needed.

largeorangefont
01-24-2007, 06:20 PM

I would get one after a couple weeks when the springs settle in

hotyari
02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
normal on stock setup as well