PDA

View Full Version : High pitched whine using stock head unit / aux input?

IsLNdbOi
01-20-2007, 06:55 AM
I just started using the stock aux input with my 07 liftback's stock stereo / head unit. I've noticed a high pitched whine whenever I have anything plugged into the aux input and the car is moving. Is there any way to get rid of this annoying whine? Would I still have this problem if I upgraded to a head unit that has the aux input right on it's face / right on the front of the head unit?

07typeS
01-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I just started using the stock aux input with my 07 liftback's stock stereo / head unit. I've noticed a high pitched whine whenever I have anything plugged into the aux input and the car is moving. Is there any way to get rid of this annoying whine? Would I still have this problem if I upgraded to a head unit that has the aux input right on it's face / right on the front of the head unit?

you may notice a difference........

is the wine going with the engines rpm, if you push on the throttle a little more does the pitch of the wine increase? this is usually because of a bad ground or thats been my experience with many cars. But you say you have stock equipment so that confuses me.....

if you were already planning on changing out the head unit, id say go for it...........but if its something you didnt plan on doing until you found this problem id say take it in to the dealership........

IsLNdbOi
01-20-2007, 11:11 AM
you may notice a difference........

is the wine going with the engines rpm, if you push on the throttle a little more does the pitch of the wine increase? this is usually because of a bad ground or thats been my experience with many cars. But you say you have stock equipment so that confuses me.....

if you were already planning on changing out the head unit, id say go for it...........but if its something you didnt plan on doing until you found this problem id say take it in to the dealership........

Yeah, the whine does increase when I speed up. My equipment is all stock.

spkrman
01-20-2007, 12:36 PM
bad connection somewhere.

dealership time :)

sqcomp
01-31-2007, 10:20 AM
If it's stock, yes, dealership time. It could be two things, a ground loop in the input chain somewhere. It might be a bad ground. Regardless, take it back to the dealer.

static808
01-31-2007, 11:27 AM

the whine is coming from the speakers themselves..?? just want to verify...

--B

vodkalush
01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
its a grounding issue, I had the same problem, but then I added a grounding kit and everything went away. Plus I noticed other benefits of adding the grounding kits (do a search there are a few threads about it)

sqcomp
02-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Motor vehicles are the worst places to have stereo systems...they're so electrically noisy! With that said, one of the most common problems is bad grounding, as was mentioned.

I think what Vod might has been alluding to was the "big 3" upgrade. The grounds from the battery to alternator, alternator to ground and batttery to ground should all be upgraded. This will actually be the first thing I do when I purchase my Yaris S. Those grounds will be replaced from the factory and an aftermarket Kinetik or Batcap will be used as a much better battery. This along with a responder alarm from DEI (Viper, Clifford or Ungo) or Compustar. Thesde should be the VERY first things one should do with a new vehicle.

I can go into the benefits of both if you guys need, however, it should be obvious.

enkid
02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
If you have the device into both the Aux audio input, and to the Aux power socket, then try unplugging the power and see if the whine goes away.

If it does, there is a difference in potential between where the Aux power jack is grounded, and where the the audio jack is grounded, and current is flowing through the shield braid of your audio cable, and that current causing the whine.

The grounding kit mentioned earlier would help. Running a 12 or 10 gauge cable from the radio chassis to the the same bolt the power socket gets its ground from would help too.