PDA

View Full Version : Motor Trends 2012 first drive.

Bernie P.
07-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Not as much of a road test as I hoped for but here it is-
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1102_2012_toyota_yaris_japanese_spec/index.html

Lewis
07-12-2011, 11:29 AM
The review makes a lot of sense to me. It needs the CVT and the start / stop to get the mileage to compete but given the cost structure of building it in Japan and weakness of the dollar to the yen I don't see that happening (and I hope I'm dead wrong).

Yaristeve
07-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I was in Torrance, CA (home of Toyota Motor Corp) this morning and saw a heavily veiled (had a black canvas cover on practically everyithing but the windows) car with Michigan plates driving down the road followed by another chase vehicle with Michigan plates. I assume it was the new Yaris.

Frankly, I didn't like it; the roof is uber-curved almost like Toyota was attempting to evoke mental images of those wooden Japanese bridges...

Too Fit/Venza/Matrix/Mazda3 looking...:frown:

And maybe it is because of the covering, but it looked pretty big...

I wonder why they bothered to cover it up when it's been out practically everywhere else and spy shots. Maybe it is a different new model...

bronsin
07-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Smart stop doesnt do anything to improve mileage from evaluations I have read. If they made it heavier thats worse still. And the 1.8 liter engine would be the final kiss of death.

Sounds like they got their heads on backwards.

The ECHO was the high water mark for the small Japanese car, it would seem.

Lewis
07-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Smart stop doesnt do anything to improve mileage from evaluations I have read. If they made it heavier thats worse still. And the 1.8 liter engine would be the final kiss of death.

Sounds like they got their heads on backwards.

The ECHO was the high water mark for the small Japanese car, it would seem.

The literature indicates with the EPA mileage test stop/start doesn't improve mileage- in the real world it does. Unfortunately this has discouraged manufacturers from sending us this feature since the quoted price is said to be $700.

bronsin
07-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Then the only questions is: does the feature save more than $700 worth of gasoline over the lifetime of the vehicle?

And does it break/cause problems?

auxmike
07-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Does start stop burn out the starter real fast??

Chuck G
07-29-2011, 04:39 PM

It can't be good for the car?

bronsin
07-29-2011, 07:07 PM
According to Toyota, for all its complexity, the Prius is a reliable vehicle with no history of untoward mechanical problems.

Fpr the record Toyota claims the Prius costs "$3000" more than a "regular" car and "saves" $5500 in fuel costs over the life of the car.

If by regular car they mean a Yaris that is clearly not the case.

pudgie_child
08-09-2011, 10:07 AM
I was in Torrance, CA (home of Toyota Motor Corp) this morning and saw a heavily veiled (had a black canvas cover on practically everyithing but the windows) car with Michigan plates driving down the road followed by another chase vehicle with Michigan plates. I assume it was the new Yaris.

Frankly, I didn't like it; the roof is uber-curved almost like Toyota was attempting to evoke mental images of those wooden Japanese bridges...

Too Fit/Venza/Matrix/Mazda3 looking...:frown:

And maybe it is because of the covering, but it looked pretty big...

I wonder why they bothered to cover it up when it's been out practically everywhere else and spy shots. Maybe it is a different new model...

Are you sure it wasn't the Prius C?

http://www.hybridcarblog.com/hybrid_cars_wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/toyota_prius_c_spy_photo.jpg

bronsin
08-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Dazzle camoflage just like that used by Allied ships in WW2!

What idiots!

Who would buy a car that looked like that!

rningonfumes
08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
^

Hmm..over all size is Yaris, back end is Yaris hatch. Front doesn't seem to have that new iQ snub nose everyone is seeing from the internet pics.

And Welcome!

EDIT:
And Bronsin, I would if the numbers were right and I was in the market for such a hybrid.

bronsin
08-09-2011, 11:54 AM
If it got 50mpg and cost <$15K Im there too!

rningonfumes
08-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Dude! I'm with you! maybe that's why they gave Scion the iQ?- so that they can still have a spot for such a car under the traditional Toyota banner.

I'm going to bet that it'll be more Corolla level or just right under it.

N9QGS
08-10-2011, 01:40 AM
My understanding is the current EPA testing to determine the MPG they put on the stickers doesnt take in account start/stop technology so there is no benefit for manufactures to put it in the car's here in the state. Yes it does improve your economy, but that is what I heard from someone in detroit, that our EPA stickers on the windows are still flawed.

N9QGS
08-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Yeah that does look like the Prius c

Bluevitz-rs
08-12-2011, 11:39 AM

The system probably uses a belt driven electric motor/generator and not a conventional starter.

Yaristeve
08-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Are you sure it wasn't the Prius C?

http://www.hybridcarblog.com/hybrid_cars_wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/toyota_prius_c_spy_photo.jpg

Hmmmm... Could be. When I think of Prius, I automatically think of the lower roof line...