PDA

View Full Version : Texas Heat VS Yaris

joe keeney
08-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Over 100 degrees now for past 45 days. Today a 107 here in hemphill. Took the yaris to Leesville L.A. about 94 miles round trip. After 4 lovely years she purred like a kitten and gave ice cold air. Beat the heat and runs so fine trouble free.:w00t:

mazilla
08-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Over 100 degrees now for past 45 days. Today a 107 here in hemphill. Took the yaris to Leesville L.A. about 94 miles round trip. After 4 lovely years she purred like a kitten and gave ice cold air. Beat the heat and runs so fine trouble free.:w00t:

100 here in Riverside, I drive over 200 miles a day(two-three times a week) and never have a problem...knock on wood!

brg88tx
08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
everybody that rides in my yaris comments on how cold the a/c is for such a small car.

mark293
08-27-2011, 09:18 AM
I started to do the A/C mod but my wife already complains that the A/C is too cold. It is smoking hot in southeast Texas!

Bluevitz-rs
08-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I started to do the A/C mod but my wife already complains that the A/C is too cold. It is smoking hot in southeast Texas!

Tell your wife that the dial on the dash that has the blue and red lines around it can fix that problem. :laugh:

Spidermandud
08-27-2011, 04:24 PM
AC mod? What AC mod? :O

mark293
08-30-2011, 07:19 AM
I dont have the info readily available, but it was as simple as wrapping foam insulation around one of the a/c condenser pipes.

Betrivent
08-30-2011, 04:20 PM
^ Yes, it's really quite easy. The only hard part is getting your hands into some of the places to wrap the insulation around the pipe. It is 3/4 inner-diameter. So you can do an inch ID and have some room in between for air to insulate the pipe

MadMax
09-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Been pretty dang hot in San Antonio, but I've been traveling so much these past couple of weeks that I've missed a lot of it...

djct_watt
09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Heat? Ha! In Thailand it's over 90 degrees F and With high humidity all year round. If the Yaris can survive here, it can survive anywhere. LOL, the Thai Yaris doesn't even have a heater (cooling is the ONLY function the HVAC does).

Revsson
09-01-2011, 05:05 PM
AC mod? What AC mod? :O

Probably this one:
DIY A/C Insulation (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19530)

nookandcrannycar
06-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Yeah, August 2011 was a brutal month. I hope Summer 2012 will be a bit cooler. The worst day in my area last summer was 8/5/11 if I remember the date number correctly. It was 105 in my driveway with the corresponding heat index =120. About 7 miles or so away (on that day) the temperature was about 108 but the humidity level was quite a bit higher and the heat index there reached 141....which is the highest I've seen measured in the Houston Metro at least since late 2007. The A/C in my Yaris performed admirably on that day, just as it always has.

why?
06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
141! Holy crap. I worked at disney in florida a few years, and one of the summers I had to work outside with no shade. Totally insane, but the highest the heat index ever made it was around 120 i think. The only time I ever felt any of those sports drinks actually work. Powerade I think was the coke brand one we used, and you could feel it working just like when popeye eats spinach in his cartoons.

nookandcrannycar
06-27-2012, 08:03 PM
141! Holy crap. I worked at disney in florida a few years, and one of the summers I had to work outside with no shade. Totally insane, but the highest the heat index ever made it was around 120 i think. The only time I ever felt any of those sports drinks actually work. Powerade I think was the coke brand one we used, and you could feel it working just like when popeye eats spinach in his cartoons.

I wanted to follow the particular 'station' (the term wunderground (Weather Underground) uses...and I think they are pulling that from the NWS) that recorded the 141 for a few days to see if the HI would go above that level. However, that ended up being the last posted day from that location. The level didn't rise either because that ended up being the hottest day in August in my general area. I watch the wunderground site periodically and I gather they have fixed sites and what might be independent sites. The fixed sites that I notice most prominently are airports, even ones that don't have any commercial flights. The stations in The Woodlands (a master planned community, now Township, and the location of the 141 HI post I saw) seem to be intermittent. I don't know if this is because the stations are completely controlled by the National Weather Service and the NWS intentionally moves them around within The Woodlands, or if independent people somehow qualify with the NWS to have a station at their coordinate and then post or don't post based on the spare time they have available.