PDA

View Full Version : No Yaris/Vitz in Korea?!?

MadMax
08-29-2011, 04:45 AM
I've been in and around Seoul, South Korea for a few days and have noticed that there are no Yaris/Vitz here. I checked Toyota of Korea's website (http://www.toyota.co.kr/toyota/r_index.asp) and they don't show it in their lineup. Anyone know why?

Cheers! M2

CrankyOldMan
08-29-2011, 07:37 PM
I would guess that Kia, Hyundai and Daewoo have a stranglehold on the sub-compact market to begin with, making it unprofitable for Toyota. In addition, the incredible public transit systems and overwhelming number of Taxis makes not having a vehicle a real possibility for most urban residents.

Oh, and if you haven't already, I recommend taking the KTX on the express route to Pusan. That thing is sweeeeet.

MadMax
08-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Yep, I gotta agree that even during my short time here, everything you mention is spot on!

As for the Korea Train eXpress (KTX), unfortunately I won't get the opportunity; but I believe I have seen it during my travels. We used to ride the EuroStar when I lived in Belgium, it is quite the experience!

Cheers! M2

eTiMaGo
08-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Yep, went there on several occasions many years ago, and no exaggeration in saying 95% of the cars are local brands, with a big selection of small city cars... Gotta be very hard for Toyota to get into that market!