PDA

View Full Version : Lowering with 16"

rwseattle
01-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey,

I'm driving a 2007 Yaris HB.

:w00t: I will receive my new 16" wheels / tires 205/45/16 next week. I'm debating a lowering set.

Question:
How much should I drop the Yaris with 16" 205/45/16? Anyone?

FYI: I will add pictures after I receive the wheels.

Thank you for your feedback. Rwseattle.

hasher22
01-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Get Tanabe DF's i believe its 1.6" front 1.8" rear??

Black Yaris
01-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Go as low as you can :)

largeorangefont
01-25-2007, 11:22 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/largeorangefont/IMG_0384.jpg

That low.

Here is the thread with all the details.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3550

tekmoe
01-27-2007, 12:40 AM
i'd say go with 205/50 only because i went with 205/45 on my 16's and i think 50 profile would look better...

rwseattle
01-27-2007, 04:05 PM
I appriciate the tire size note but, If you read all the threads on tire size you will find that everyone has a different opion. I used the tires calc and with 16" wheels 205/45/16 is closest to the original size 175/65/14. Calc results "speedo reads 60mph, you are actually traveling 60.8mph 1.3%. With 205/50/16 the actuall speed is 62.9mph 4.9%. I believe you should stay under 3%. I will post a thread later and let you know how they preform. It shouldn't be a big deal. I will add springs and need to know if anyone installed springs with the tire size 205/45/16? :wink:

PetersRedYaris
01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Try putting a GPS in your car to check your actual speed against your speedometer. I did and found I was going slower than my speedo says. It seems like all new cars say your going a little faster than you really are which means your racking up miles faster, and getting worst mileage, than you should be. If I get new tires/wheels I'll be going up 3-5% in diameter to set the speedo right.

My car: 70MPH=67 actual MPH

rwseattle
01-27-2007, 07:05 PM
That's interesting. Thx.

rwseattle
01-27-2007, 07:27 PM
One more question,

Would the DF210 lowering springs level the car nicely?

Thx.
Rwseattle

Go4th
01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Try putting a GPS in your car to check your actual speed against your speedometer. I did and found I was going slower than my speedo says. It seems like all new cars say your going a little faster than you really are which means your racking up miles faster, and getting worst mileage, than you should be. If I get new tires/wheels I'll be going up 3-5% in diameter to set the speedo right.

My car: 70MPH=67 actual MPH

That don’t mean your odometer is wrong.
They may just have the speedometer calibrated a few mph off on the top end on purpose. Lots of times your dead on speed on the slower mph than the higher mph. They want you to think that you’re going that speed to help you.
Kind of like your clock. You may have it set 5 mins fast so when that alarm clock goes off you actually have five mins more.
Also I went to NC one time and the GPS said I was off route and actually I was on the exact road I was to be on per its directions. I switched lanes and it said I was going the right way. Switched lanes back it thought I was off route again. So even that GPS thing is not right sometimes. I figure it was the elevation and maybe the GPS was not updated that this is a 6 lane highway.

Go4th
01-27-2007, 07:50 PM
I appriciate the tire size note but, If you read all the threads on tire size you will find that everyone has a different opion. I used the tires calc and with 16" wheels 205/45/16 is closest to the original size 175/65/14. Calc results "speedo reads 60mph, you are actually traveling 60.8mph 1.3%. With 205/50/16 the actuall speed is 62.9mph 4.9%. I believe you should stay under 3%. I will post a thread later and let you know how they preform. It shouldn't be a big deal. I will add springs and need to know if anyone installed springs with the tire size 205/45/16? :wink:

Sounds like you need to decide how much you want to drop your car then.

1 and 2 Look at the pictures above, and you will see the amount of drop each kit will give, from your stock height.
TDF121 - Front 1.6" / Rear 1.8"
TNF121 - Front 1.1" / Rear 1.3" (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540)

3 The TRD Red Lowering Spring Set lowers the car 1.2” in both front and rear (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3224&page=2)
The Black Yaris at/near the bottom of the page.

4 Springtech springs 1.7 in drop F\R (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3550)

These are the 4 I can find right off the bat for now..

PetersRedYaris
01-28-2007, 12:22 AM
They may just have the speedometer calibrated a few mph off on the top end on purpose. Lots of times your dead on speed on the slower mph than the higher mph. They want you to think that you’re going that speed to help you.
Kind of like your clock. You may have it set 5 mins fast so when that alarm clock goes off you actually have five mins more.
Also I went to NC one time and the GPS said I was off route and actually I was on the exact road I was to be on per its directions. I switched lanes and it said I was going the right way. Switched lanes back it thought I was off route again. So even that GPS thing is not right sometimes. I figure it was the elevation and maybe the GPS was not updated that this is a 6 lane highway.

You could be right although I think it would be rediculous if they did that??? I'll check my miles vs. the actual mile markers. Also, location of a road has nothing to do with measuring speed. Older GPS maps, and newer ones, may not be up to date, but the fact is your GPS doesn't need to know what road your on to calculate speed. They calulate speed based on a series of points and the time it takes to move from one to the next. Even the small handheld cheap ones can do that.

PetersRedYaris
01-28-2007, 12:36 AM

If your speedometer is off at high speeds, it's off at low speeds too. The reason you don't notice, and think it's dead on, is because it's "less" off.
Example: 70(speedometer)MPH=67(actual)MPH - 4.28% off

This means at 30(speedo)MPH, 4.28% off is 28.71(actual)MPH

1.28 MPH is not noticable on a speedometer but is still there and hence the speedometer is still incorrect. This is why higher speeds are required to see speedometer dicrepincies.

How does it help me to think I'm going to fast?

largeorangefont
01-28-2007, 01:29 AM

FYI,

With a 185/60/15 stock size a 205/50/16 is 1.4% slower and a 205/45/16 is 2.0% faster.

I like the look of the 50 series better. It fills the wheelwell out more and makes the car appear lower with a more agressive stance.

Go4th
01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
How does it help me to think I'm going to fast?

You could be right although I think it would be rediculous if they did that??? .
I believe it’s a Gov’t thing or a small margin of error for the manufacture to save their ass... It doesn’t seem ridiculous to me. It may keep you going a little slower. Helps keep you honest I guess. Just as I tried to explain with the alarm clock analogy, meaning you may include a small amount of error on purpose to your self to help insure you are on time.

Also, location of a road has nothing to do with measuring speed. Older GPS maps, and newer ones, may not be up to date, .

You repeated a thought I already mentioned.
I figure it was the elevation and maybe the GPS was not updated that this is a 6 lane highway.

I am no expert on any of this. I simply am trying to give a different perspective or idea for you to consider based on an error I found. Therefore proving there could be other types of errors.
This is simply my thoughts other wise I would have put in some sources for everyone.

It would be cool to have a stop watch set the cruise on 60mph on a leval hwy and see if you go exactly a mile in one min. i dont have a watch with seconds or stop watch to try it. :smile:

PetersRedYaris
01-29-2007, 11:35 PM
You have some good ideas Go4th. :drinking: The timer thing, I'll try it.

I suppose it could be car manufacturers covering themselves. The downfall is, over-estimating speed means over-estimating miles per tank, which means mileage is poorer than it appears.:thumbdown:

It all a big conspiracy, the oil companies got a grip on the government, their feeding us a bunch of lies man! (Cars)

rwseattle
02-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Little bit more road noise, but not bad. See pic.

rwseattle
02-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Sorry pixz didn't attached correctly. I will post pictures later or check out the little pic under rwseattle.

Doc Zaius
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey rw... just saw the pics in your garage... look good! I think I prefer the 45 profile tire with the 16's than the 50 profile. Just my preference. Now you have to get the car lowered!! :biggrin:

PetersRedYaris
02-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Hey rw... just saw the pics in your garage... look good! I think I prefer the 45 profile tire with the 16's than the 50 profile. Just my preference. Now you have to get the car lowered!! :biggrin:

Agreed, it looks great!:w00t:

rwseattle
02-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks. I agree on the lowering springs but, I'm not sure about the type of spring TRD or Tanabe DF210.

TRD 1.0 f and r (factory warranty)
DF 210 Tanabe front 1.6 and rear 1.8
NF 210 Tanabe front 1.0 and rear 1.3 (I think these will work best)

I Like a more level look. The back needs to come down. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Ron

largeorangefont
02-06-2007, 04:48 PM
I recommend Springtech. 1.7 inch drop all around. The DFs are too low in the rear for my taste. Check out my garage pics if you like.

rwseattle
02-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Yes, your car looks great with the Springtech 1.7. You do have the 205/50/16 and my car has the 205/45/16. I'm going towards the Tanabe front 1.0 rear 1.3 or your Springtech 1.7 in lowering springs. How's the ride with the Springtech springs? Thanks for your feedback.

largeorangefont
02-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Yes, your car looks great with the Springtech 1.7. You do have the 205/50/16 and my car has the 205/45/16. I'm going towards the Tanabe front 1.0 rear 1.3 or your Springtech 1.7 in lowering springs. How's the ride with the Springtech springs? Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks! Your car is gonna look great when you lower it. I guess we both have similar tastes.

For me it was between the TRD springs and the Springtech. The TRDs just don't look quite low enough on cars with 15s or 16s. They look alot better on cars with 17s or 18s.

I was pleasantly suprised with the ride after I installed the springs. The car rides great. My tires slightly rub the inner fenderwells at high speed on large bumps. You probably wont have that issue because your 45 series tires are a little shorter.

I will be installing the TRD shocks/struts soon and that will solve my slight rubbing issue.

I got my springs on Ebay for $130. I was local so I picked them up.

PetersRedYaris
02-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Mine has the NF210's. If you check my garage at least you'll get a visual. Measured drop was just as advertised. They ride great (much more firm than stock but not at all harsh), but, they look almost like a factory sport suspension. I think a little more drop looks better but obviously it wll be much stiffer. Mines a daily driver (100 miles per day).

Doc Zaius
02-07-2007, 12:20 AM
For me it was between the TRD springs and the Springtech. The TRDs just don't look quite low enough on cars with 15s or 16s. They look alot better on cars with 17s or 18s.

Interesting...!! I have the TRD springs... good to know! Thanks.

largeorangefont
02-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Interesting...!! I have the TRD springs... good to know! Thanks.

Thats just my opinion from hours of looking at pictures on here.

rwseattle
02-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Did you install the spring or had a local tires center help you? I'm thinking about installing the spring with the DIY info. I will keep you posted.

largeorangefont
02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Did you install the spring or had a local tires center help you? I'm thinking about installing the spring with the DIY info. I will keep you posted.

Its easy to do yourself. The diy info was helpful, but I saw no need to remove all the cowl stuff and the wipers in the front. Just make sure you have an offset 17mm box end and a 6 mm allen key and you will be good to go in the front. The back is very easy.

Air tools will help, removing and installing the strut shaft nut to remove the spring, but aren't necessary.

rwseattle
02-07-2007, 03:42 PM
That's great. I will order the springs soon and install them. I will post pix right after the installation. Thank you for your feedback.