PDA

View Full Version : New Yaris too expensive?

SailDesign
09-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Seems that way, at least to the Daily Telegraph writers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/mike-rutherford/8735566/Mr-Money-Yaris-affordability-comes-at-a-price.html

BEEF
09-03-2011, 09:23 AM
honestly if I were in europe, I would probably have the mini first but that isn't available in the great USofA.

I would also consider the smart with the diesel.

I think the yaris is actually pretty competitively priced in the US. maybe not so much in other parts of the world.

yaris0128
09-06-2011, 06:49 AM
The new yaris is WAY overpriced! It starts at what my 07 cost fully loaded with EVERY option available. I dont know what is standard on the new yaris but if there are still things you have to pay extra for its rubbish. The new Versa starts under $11k and it has all the goodies to have a decent car. Toyota is just making up for the huge recall and japan crisis losses with this car.

BluYrs
09-07-2011, 04:02 AM
No point in comparing today's new cars to those of 4 years ago. Things have changed.

As for the article- the First is an entry-level bare model, which has been specially created to bring down the price of the Mini range (prior to that, the One used to be the lesser of the Minis). While the Mini sends a stronger style statement than the Yaris, you really have to ask yourself do you want to be the guy driving around in what is unmistakeably the cheapest of the Mini range. Explaining driving a Mini First to a car enthusiast is a lot more difficult than explaining an entry-level Yaris. The Yaris is essentially the ultimate anti-Mini- not in any way a style/lifestyle statement, pure practicality.

And VWs are notorious for their lack of equipment on entry-level models- so you need to tick quite a few boxes on the options list before reaching the level of the cheapest Yaris.

It is true that the Yaris has always been a bit pricey here in Europe, but that hasn't stopped it from selling fairly well. And the resale value is also higher than average. When you add low maintenance costs and little need for repairs you get an attractive package for someone who looks beyond the purchase price when shopping for a new car.

eTiMaGo
09-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Steve, in your youth you could buy a brand new, loaded to the gills Ford Model T for $500! how dare new cars cost 200x more today! ;)

Like BluYrs said, things change :) Not many things in this world get cheaper as time goes on, apart from electronics maybe...

auxmike
09-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Are Power windows standard now?

john21031
09-08-2011, 01:50 AM
no

BluYrs
09-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Are Power windows standard now?
In EU the front ones are.

SailDesign
09-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Steve, in your youth you could buy a brand new, loaded to the gills Ford Model T for $500! how dare new cars cost 200x more today! ;)

Like BluYrs said, things change :) Not many things in this world get cheaper as time goes on, apart from electronics maybe...

Thomas, I have no issue with the price - things do change. The point was that the linked article DID have a problem with it.
And, for the record, the Model T was only $250 in my youth. :tongue:

Have your floods receded yet?

RedRide
10-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Toyota have served me well since the fall of 2001 when I purchased my first Toyota...... a Celica and now, with my '09 Yaris.

However, personally, if I were to purchase a new car today, I would seriously consider a differet brand, perthaps a Ford.

roxy1
10-08-2011, 09:15 PM
i know i posted this somewhere else, but considering the yaris se w/manual is roughly $17100 with desination....
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/roxy84_photos/2012-Toyota-Yaris-SE-front-view-623x389.jpg
...and i can get this for $18200 with destination, it gets just as good/better mileage, has alot more power, has all the goodies including a 7 inch touch screen
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/roxy84_photos/untitled.png

....then yes, it is grossly overpriced.

now if one could find (and would want, the 3 door manual), one might be able to say it was a fair value.

full disclosure, i now own a veloster and am amazingly happy about it. i had been keeping an eye on the yaris (i had a black 3 door hatch when i joined this forum), but it is no longer a good value proposition, imo.

i know people arent cross shopping these, it was just an illustration of what is out there for $1k more.

BrisbaneYaris
04-01-2013, 04:49 AM
I paid AUD: 27.400 for my Yaris YRX Hatch.

They're extremely over priced in Australia as drive away price without any options is $25,000 for a YRX with not options.

bronsin
04-01-2013, 06:00 AM
They dont even HAVE any Yaris's at one of my local dealers in south Jersey and the other dealers that do have one or two.

I think my 09 was $15 k before tax. Thats with auto.

My 1980 Subaru Hatchback was $4600 out the door...

YodaBird
04-01-2013, 10:35 PM
There is a Kia parked beside my car, yuk. Hyundai is even worse. Yaris looks like a little mean 'get out of my way' machine :)

b20vteg
04-02-2013, 12:16 AM
wow, talk about necro posting...

daf62757
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
As a dedicated and loyal Toyota fan, I don't mind paying a little extra for a Toyota. No matter how much extra it costs to buy one, the alternative is to buy a different make that will not be as reliable or have the durability that the Toyota has.

I have tried other cars. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, VW, Mazda, and Pontiac (yea now dead) and after years of gambling with money and losing, I have made the personal decision to just buy Toyota. I have done this for the last 12 years and 4 cars and not once did the Toyota's every have to go to the shop for a break down. One windshield crack under warranty was it.

So if you want to gamble, be my guest. If you want a sure thing, its a Toyota!