PDA

View Full Version : 5-speed availability

Thirty-Nine
11-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Well, Toyota.com won't let you build a Yaris with a 5-speed unless you opt for the L package. I know you can get the SE with the 5-speed, as Car and Driver used one in its comparison test.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-toyota-yaris-se-page-5

So, do you think the SE with a 5-speed is going to be one of those "impossible to find" cars?

FYI, it looks like the L and SE are listed on Toyota.com as available with either the AT or MT, you just can't build them with 5-speeds ...

Jason@SportsCar
11-09-2011, 07:03 PM
From what we were told when we picked our car you cant get an LE with a 5spd at all, or a 5-door unless you opt for SE. If you want a 5spd you get the bottom of the barrel (L 3-door), or the top of the heap (SE 5-door), there is no middle ground. But this was back in June... It may have changed. Would suck if they never offer the SE with a manual. :(

Thirty-Nine
11-09-2011, 07:09 PM
From what we were told when we picked our car you cant get an LE with a 5spd at all, or a 5-door unless you opt for SE. If you want a 5spd you get the bottom of the barrel (L 3-door), or the top of the heap (SE 5-door), there is no middle ground.

You just said it in a nutshell. That's what it looks like on the Toyota site, too. However, you still can't "build" anything but the L with the manual.

Honestly, I think if I were to buy a '12 Yaris, I'd probably opt for the SE. I usually go bargain basement on the models, since I typically get rid of the OE suspension, but I like the appearence package as well as the interior, not to mention the tighter steering int he SE.

Having driven none of them yet, what do you think?

CrankyOldMan
11-09-2011, 07:12 PM
I'd say it sounds like a casualty of Lean Manufacturing. They have probably done tons of statistical justification in the package levels: mainly in that people either want a super-cheap bare-bones econobox (which implies manual), or want the sportiest package available, and prefer the "racing" sensation of a manual. My egg is something of an oddity in that it has power everything, 60/40 rear seats, but not the premium audio, and is a manual.

Jason@SportsCar
11-09-2011, 07:24 PM
You just said it in a nutshell. That's what it looks like on the Toyota site, too. However, you still can't "build" anything but the L with the manual.

Honestly, I think if I were to buy a '12 Yaris, I'd probably opt for the SE. I usually go bargain basement on the models, since I typically get rid of the OE suspension, but I like the appearence package as well as the interior, not to mention the tighter steering int he SE.

Having driven none of them yet, what do you think?

I like the SE, that is what I would go for (5-door works much better with a kid)... But not if you can only get a slush box. :mad:

Sending some emails to people who know more than me. :wink:

mr9865
11-09-2011, 07:55 PM
found one for sale http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=n&car_id=309872569&dealer_id=46269261&car_year=2012&systime=&doors=&model=YARIS&search_lang=en&start_year=2012&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=new&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1320886477887&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=2009&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=GREEN_BAY-APPLETON&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=false&transmission=Manual&default_sort=newonlysortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=54313&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=TOYOTA&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=1725&standard=false

Jason@SportsCar
11-09-2011, 07:59 PM
found one for sale http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=n&car_id=309872569&dealer_id=46269261&car_year=2012&systime=&doors=&model=YARIS&search_lang=en&start_year=2012&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=new&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1320886477887&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=2009&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=GREEN_BAY-APPLETON&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=false&transmission=Manual&default_sort=newonlysortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=54313&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=TOYOTA&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=1725&standard=false

:w00t:

Jason@SportsCar
11-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Interesting... I am told these are available, however, you may need to change your zip when "building" your car to get an SE 5spd. :confused:

If I use my current zip I can not build one, but if I use 85323 (AZ) I can.

Might just be a foul up in the system. :iono: But the good news is the SE 5spd is real. :thumbup:

mr9865
11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I think it's regional availability. In my area I can't build a SE 5 speed, and the L in the 5 speed is only in 6 of the 8 colors. No blazing blue or light blue.

Thirty-Nine
11-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I think it's regional availability. In my area I can't build a SE 5 speed, and the L in the 5 speed is only in 6 of the 8 colors. No blazing blue or light blue.

I tried a number of ZIPs and couldn't build an SE with a manual (Portland, OR; St. Paul, MN; Milwaukee, WI).

Jason@SportsCar
11-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I tried a number of ZIPs and couldn't build an SE with a manual (Portland, OR; St. Paul, MN; Milwaukee, WI).

So far I have been able to build it in AZ, Norcal - Sacramento and Redding, but not Socal. Interesting thing was the two Norcal zips I used only offered the L and SE, both with a 5spd, but no LE cars.

You might have take a trip to find your car, or get a dealer to do a swap.

Zillon
11-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Try this one: 01011 (Chester, Mass.)

New England is one of the very few regions on the eastern seaboard getting the SEs in manual. NY and Central Atlantic regions are not getting them. Even then, you can only get the sticks in white, silver, grey, and black. No colors for New England. I have no idea what the availability is for the west coast.

I'm trying to get ahold of one myself - a white one, in particular - and I've been finding it extremely difficult to do so. I even work at a Toyota dealership, and I've been talking with the inventory manager for over a week now about trying to get one of these Yarii for myself. Within a 403 mile radius of my particular dealer, there are only 6 5MT SE's (#1462 model code, AT is #1464) out there. From that selection, all are in transit (at port, on the truck, or on the boat).

Since my region (Central Atlantic) is not receiving any shipments of the 5MT SE, in order to get one, we have to trade out of region, or try and wrangle one before it comes into port. Even then, it's not a guaranteed deal. We've made calls to other dealers in an attempt to perform a dealer trade for one of these cars, and we have received no calls back. Apparently everyone thinks that they're sitting on gold. I don't think that the general public will think they're anything special, however the limited availability might have turned them into something of a golden egg.

So, this is my current situation, after talking to regional HQ: There are 3 cars on the ground in Japan right now that have not been shipped anywhere, and the only colors that are available are silver and grey, neither of which are a top choice for me. If I really want the car, this is what I have to choose from. If I decide to go this route, I won't see the car until late December.

I was thinking about trying to get a Fiesta instead, but I'm dealing with the same thing there, too. Limited manual transmission availability in the colors and spec I want.

03Z33
11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
It has to do with what region you're in and what zip you enter. "Toyota dealers of Southern California" decided that the SE 5-spd isn't a car they want to carry so you can't build it and you won't see any at ANY dealers in Southern California from the Mexico border past Santa Barbara. Also Northeastern and Northwestern states don't seem to get the SE Manual.

The nearest place you can get a SE manual in Cali is Vegas, NV or Norcal. Fresno should also be able to order them but don't see any currently. Other regions that get them include most of Texas, and the Southeast.

Central Cali region like Fresno can only order from L or SE, they don't get any LE's.

Scubaru Steve
11-10-2011, 08:46 PM
well, i test drove a 5spd LE, and i have a SE 5spd on order arriving in dec/jan.
so they are out there! or atleast you can order them.

03Z33
11-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Canada gets different variations. Your SE also has sideskirts and different stereo, etc...

Scubaru Steve
11-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I see. I still don't know what stereo I get, not does the dealer.
I don't know why they make those variations between can and us.
I'm sure the dealer could order a 5spd. Toyota would be stupid to
Have auto only.....

broody
11-12-2011, 12:15 AM
The packages and combinaisons of trim/number of doors/transmission really suck, for both Canada and USA.
For me (canadian market), the best deals seem to be the base CE trim 3-door or the LE 5-door with commodity package, both mt.

Astroman
11-12-2011, 04:42 PM
It seems ridiculous to say the least of what colors/trim/transmission are available, and getting exactly what you want seems nearly impossible or very difficult. It was like when I got my car in 2006, no manual available with the options I wanted (everything but power) even remotely close. I was also forced to pay the ridiculous fee for the factory floor mats I didn't want because I was in the northwest