PDA

View Full Version : Check your new 2012 Yaris for the cabin air filter

CTScott
12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I noticed that the 2012 uses the same A/C system as the 2006 to 2011 Yaris, so the same A/C stink and condensate backup issues are likely to occur with the 2012 if a cabin air filter is not installed to prevent stuff from getting into the airbox.

I'd be curious to hear if 2012 owners find that a filter was installed by the factory or dealer. The filter compartment is located behind the glove box on the passenger side of the car.

Hershey
12-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Comes with it . This is from the 2012 brochure picked up from a TOYOTA dealer . I'll vacuum out the cabin filter every 4 months or so ( top side of filter ) . Plan to get the charcoal air filter , would last longer with the cleanings . Will try to remeber to get it when TOYOTA coupon arrives in the mail :bonk: .

CanIHazYarisHatch?
12-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Reminds me of the commercial: "The 2012 Toyota Yaris comes with windows that roll down...and up. Standard."

Cabin filter: standard!

CTScott
12-02-2011, 06:34 AM
I saw that it is listed as standard, but has anyone verified that it's actually there?

yougojay
04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Found this post and thought I would reply as I physically checked our new 2013 Yaris L for the cabin air filter and it is there. Have read a great amount of the posts here & have gotten a pretty good understanding of the car - Thanks everyone, really getting into this car

Correct me if I am wrong:

2nd Generation: 2006-2011
3rd Generation: 2012 & up

As CTScott mentions in the beginning of this thread, looks like the same A/C system used in the 2nd gens was carried over to the 3rd gens (makes sense)

2nd generation the CAF was an option? 3rd gen it was made standard (2012-2013)

Reading all these horror stories in regards to the airbox getting clogged with debris and condensation from A/C system backing up into the cabin...the smell, this is scary & BAD.

Why Toyota did not get cabin air filters into all those Yaris' one way or another is beyond me. I can see why they finally put one in as 'standard'

Get a cabin air filter folks, weather you make them home-made or buy a ready made one. Posting some photos - the filter is extremely easy to reach behind the glove box - My Yaris (Garage Kept) just turned over 500 miles, 504 to be exact, and you can ALREADY SEE debris in the filter.

I think the filter will save a LOT of people a great deal of trouble

artxty
05-29-2013, 08:27 AM
hi,is it easy to take out the glove compartment?tnx

CTScott
05-29-2013, 10:03 AM
hi,is it easy to take out the glove compartment?tnx

You open the glove box and then push in on the side to make the stoppers fit through the opening. Once they are out, you pull straight back to release the bottom hinge.

YarisSedan
05-29-2013, 11:15 AM
One note make sure your glove box isnt packed full of stuff or empty it when trying to remove it i was lazy when i took mine out and the door flew down really fast and cracked the connector where it clips into the hinge. Not a big deal cause it still functions fine but few more times like that it might beak.

nookandcrannycar
05-29-2013, 11:41 PM
I've had a filter now for over 5,000 miles. The inside of the car is definitely easier to clean now and stays cleaner longer than before I installed the cabin air filter.

Hershey
05-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Nook , still have the receipt for the Fram Fresh Breeze ? Noticed a printable coupon at their website . http://www.framfreshbreeze.com/rebates.aspx . Plan to send it in if we can find the receipt . :iono: . :bonk:

nookandcrannycar
05-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Nook , still have the receipt for the Fram Fresh Breeze ? Noticed a printable coupon at their website . http://www.framfreshbreeze.com/rebates.aspx . Plan to send it in if we can find the receipt . :iono: . :bonk:

I think so (and thanks for thinking about it for me :thumbsup:), but that's not enough to entice me. I have kind of an Orwellian way of looking at it, and if I'm going to be tracked and they are going to be able to sell my information to a marketing company, then I want more than $3.

yougojay
05-30-2013, 06:22 PM
You open the glove box and then push in on the side to make the stoppers fit through the opening. Once they are out, you pull straight back to release the bottom hinge.

I was actually having a bit of trouble pushing on the sides to get the stoppers out through the opening. I was afraid I was going to break the glove box sides (pretty tight fit) I was able to pull the door out easily by the bottom first, then it came all the way out. I guess it was just a tight fit on the sides. Other than that, the door comes off and there is easy, easy access to the filter.

nookandcrannycar
05-30-2013, 06:56 PM
I was actually having a bit of trouble pushing on the sides to get the stoppers out through the opening. I was afraid I was going to break the glove box sides (pretty tight fit) I was able to pull the door out easily by the bottom first, then it came all the way out. I guess it was just a tight fit on the sides. Other than that, the door comes off and there is easy, easy access to the filter.

I've also found that the 'fit' is no longer as tight. I have to keep less in that glove box and also really slam that box shut to get the seams to line up properly.

Hershey
05-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Remove the weight and then the bottom of the glove first ( hinges ) . Then angle the glove box out so stoppers don't catch sides of dash . To remove do the opposite . Hard to explain , so hope it helps . Got so there's no need to remove items in glove before removal . Clean out filter every month or so , be amazed how much small debri it catches . Use a vacuum cleaner with the crevice tool to remove it .

Frank Necrosis
05-31-2013, 10:45 AM
My 2012 L came with a filter. It was full of junk after 8,000 miles.

Septembersrain
05-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Note to self: When time to do the oil change, Ask them to check the filter.

nookandcrannycar
05-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Note to self: When time to do the oil change, Ask them to check the filter.

Just my 2 cents -- I'd follow Hershey's post #14. The personnel at most (if not nearly all) dealerships aren't going to proceed with as much care as the owner (of the vehicle) would....plus they might charge you extra for doing that filter check!

yougojay
05-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Yep, What Nook said Lucia, pop that glove box door off in a few months, shake the filter out yourself...it is really easy - See my photos above...I should have been a "hand' model ! :bellyroll:

Septembersrain
05-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Wouldn't my extended warranty cover that?
It's full bumper to bumper for 6 years, 75K miles.
I shouldn't have to pay anything if that filter could cause issues.
I just don't want to open it myself and then have my bad luck.
I'll break a clip and they'll find some reason to void a warranty over it.

yougojay
05-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Again, look at posts # 14 & # 17 -
If you don't want to mess with it for fear of breaking it or screwing something up, be aware of reduced air flow. Let the dealer check it at 5 or 10 thousand miles.

30,000 mile or 36 month maintenance says replace the C.A.F. - 15, 000 mile or 18 months, there is a note that mentions the C.A.F. replacement MAY be needed due to dirt, dusty conditions, yada, yada, yada.

The way I look at it, after reading all the posts regarding this filter and LACK of it in a lot of cars, I am going to keep mine inspected & clean.

If you park under a 50 year old pine tree that sheds needles constantly, you need to be aware of that.

I do not have an extended warranty on my 2013 Yaris L - I do not believe in them. I purchased this Toyota due to the reliability I kept hearing about for decades! Driving this car for 1,222 miles as of today, I see why it will last forever.

We were approached in regards to the extended warranty...some CRAZY figure, 1,700 or 1,300, then down to 900, then 400 or 500 hundred dollars, I was shocked - maybe in retro I should have offered him 100.00 & see if they took it. I wish that would happen at my supermarket while I was holding a 10.00 steak...want it for 5 bucks?? how about $2.00 :iono:

nookandcrannycar
05-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Wouldn't my extended warranty cover that?
It's full bumper to bumper for 6 years, 75K miles.
I shouldn't have to pay anything if that filter could cause issues.
I just don't want to open it myself and then have my bad luck.
I'll break a clip and they'll find some reason to void a warranty over it.

Sorry, I forgot you have an extended warranty :redface:. With the extended warranty, I'd think you'd be covered (as Hershey noticed in a brochure that the cabin air filter is supposed to be included as standard equipment for 'your' Yaris).

nookandcrannycar
05-31-2013, 10:08 PM
I wish that would happen at my supermarket while I was holding a 10.00 steak...want it for 5 bucks?? how about $2.00 :iono:

:bellyroll:

Hershey
06-01-2013, 11:09 AM
You think the Yaris gathers junk , the FIT is worse . Pine needles and other large debri enters it with ease . FRAM has a Fresh Breeze filter for it , but is hard to find . The factory one for the FIT is thin , lets a lot of dust in the cabin . Especially when road salt and dirt is dumped on the roads .