PDA

View Full Version : OEM Navigation

nebulight
02-04-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm looking to adapt an OEM navigation system into the yaris. I saw a couple of pics but not really any info on doing this, so I thought I would post a thread to get things going. What I've found out so far is the following that I found on eBay, but I don't know if this stuff will work with the yaris wire harness:

Part # 86120-08160 - Model E7007, but it said JBL Amplifier is required

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/7b/07/d5cc_1.JPG

Here is the eBay link too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-SCION-GPS-DVD-NAVIGATION-BLUETOOTH-CHANGER-MP3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38653QQihZ017QQitem Z270085044606QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Any help would be great as I would love to keep OEM stuff in the car. Thanks.

acrbill
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Thats awful freeking expensive.

Check out this alternative. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3441

nebulight
02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Thats awful freeking expensive.

Check out this alternative. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3441

Yea, it's a little pricey, however I don't mind spending a little extra to have OEM (I'm kinda weird about that). Plus after market stuff draws attention to thieves, but I guess any big screen will do that. That does look like a nice unit and feature list for the price. But I am curious about the nav unit if it has built in info, or if it's a nav DVD, which would suck if you want to play music at the same time only having one drive. But it does look nice if the OEM route will be a pain in the ass to get working.

Any more info on the OEM stuff would be great.

static808
02-05-2007, 12:12 AM
i've installed an oem 2007 solara navigation unit into my 2006 sienna. these are ridiculously great, and represent some of the most up-to-date technology offered by fujitsu-ten, such as the bluetooth connection, and high resolution 7in screen. it also comes with a 4-disc changer with mp3 capability, which is a huge plus for us since we have over 20 gigs of mp3s, meaning countless hours of listening pleasure on the road. HOWEVER, if you dont have a toyota jbl amplifier in your car, its nearly impossible to get this thing to work, since the wiring schematics are completely different from aftermarket eclipse navigations systems, and aftermarket installers dont have the documentation to get oem systems to work. it doesnt have a built-in amplifier. with that said, if you like the interface of the toyota factory nav units, just get an eclipse avn model, since the interface is exactly the same, its just that the toyota units have a bigger screen, much better resolution and fit the stereo opening perfectly (no half-inch gap on the sides, which require the metra dash kit). same interface, same search conditions and auto-rerouting, even the same menus. right now, we're planning on gettting the avn5500 in about a week, since its price has dropped dramatically from 1700 to 950 (new models with 7inch screens are coming out, but the price drop is too much to overlook). we're not looking into watching dvds in the car, otherwise we'd grab the avn6600. hope this helps out a bit...

--B

nebulight
02-05-2007, 12:20 AM
i've installed an oem 2007 solara navigation unit into my 2006 sienna. these are ridiculously great, and represent some of the most up-to-date technology offered by fujitsu-ten, such as the bluetooth connection, and high resolution 7in screen. it also comes with a 4-disc changer with mp3 capability, which is a huge plus for us since we have over 20 gigs of mp3s, meaning countless hours of listening pleasure on the road. HOWEVER, if you dont have a toyota jbl amplifier in your car, its nearly impossible to get this thing to work, since the wiring schematics are completely different from aftermarket eclipse navigations systems, and aftermarket installers dont have the documentation to get oem systems to work. it doesnt have a built-in amplifier. with that said, if you like the interface of the toyota factory nav units, just get an eclipse avn model, since the interface is exactly the same, its just that the toyota units have a bigger screen, much better resolution and fit the stereo opening perfectly (no half-inch gap on the sides, which require the metra dash kit). same interface, same search conditions and auto-rerouting, even the same menus. right now, we're planning on gettting the avn5500 in about a week, since its price has dropped dramatically from 1700 to 950 (new models with 7inch screens are coming out, but the price drop is too much to overlook). we're not looking into watching dvds in the car, otherwise we'd grab the avn6600. hope this helps out a bit...

--B

Thanks, yea it does help out. I work over at Circuit City and they have a display model of some Eclipse unit (~$800), but everyone over there was bashing on the Nav features and telling me to get a Pioneer. I don't know what model eclipse it was exactly, but I think it might be the 6600 since it has a slot for the DVD and for a CD which is really nice. I really like that N3 that arcbill posted, and the N2 is pretty cheap right now at circuit city, but it doesn't have bluetooth which would be a great feature for on the road stuff. I might just wait for the N3 since it should be pretty damn cheap but it doesn't have two slots, damnit. I want the N2 but with the ability to add bluetooth. The Z1 is nice, but it's MONEY!

I'd hate to get the eclipse unit, only to be disappointed with the Nav feature.

static808
02-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks, yea it does help out. I work over at Circuit City and they have a display model of some Eclipse unit (~$800), but everyone over there was bashing on the Nav features and telling me to get a Pioneer. I don't know what model eclipse it was exactly, but I think it might be the 6600 since it has a slot for the DVD and for a CD which is really nice. I really like that N3 that arcbill posted, and the N2 is pretty cheap right now at circuit city, but it doesn't have bluetooth which would be a great feature for on the road stuff. I might just wait for the N3 since it should be pretty damn cheap but it doesn't have two slots, damnit. I want the N2 but with the ability to add bluetooth. The Z1 is nice, but it's MONEY!

I'd hate to get the eclipse unit, only to be disappointed with the Nav feature.

definitely dont want to regret purchases that BIG! we're getting the eclipse avn5500 since we're really comfortable with the toyota nav functions and menus. its almost second nature, and we dont want to have to re-learn the functions for a pioneer or kenwood model. the pioneers have better visuals than the eclipse, and the sound quality for both are top-notch, IMHO. i think the one for 800 you were lookin at was the 5500, since the 6600 would have 2 dvd slots. the 5500 has 1 cd and 1 dvd slot. good luck finding your nav system! im sure you'll be happy with any one you choose...

--B

nebulight
02-05-2007, 12:41 AM
definitely dont want to regret purchases that BIG! we're getting the eclipse avn5500 since we're really comfortable with the toyota nav functions and menus. its almost second nature, and we dont want to have to re-learn the functions for a pioneer or kenwood model. the pioneers have better visuals than the eclipse, and the sound quality for both are top-notch, IMHO. i think the one for 800 you were lookin at was the 5500, since the 6600 would have 2 dvd slots. the 5500 has 1 cd and 1 dvd slot. good luck finding your nav system! im sure you'll be happy with any one you choose...

--B

Thanks for all the help, you've been really helpful. Everyone assumes because I work at circuit city that I know everything about car audio; in fact I know NOTHING about it. I'm an in-home tech for computers, heh. :wink: I might be able to get them down a bit on the 5500 since I'll be using it sometimes for store use. Thanks again!