PDA

View Full Version : Yaris Engine Swaps!!!

Duckywitbigfeetz
02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
ok frist of all i have a 07 yaris sedan so its not the racer that every one has but i personally like the looks better than the Hatch. but anyways i was looking into doing a swap from the original 1nz-fe to a celica's 2ZZ-GE i was wondering if any one had anyinfo specifically looking for engine dimensions and what type of ecu and tranny to look for i was thinking some out of the corola would work but i dont know ( thats why im asking) im not a complete moron but i am kinda lost any help would be appreciated. (i can rewire a Whole car so thats not a problem)

spkrman
02-05-2007, 07:05 PM
ok frist of all i have a 07 yaris sedan so its not the racer that every one has but i personally like the looks better than the Hatch. but anyways i was looking into doing a swap from the original 1nz-fe to a celica's 2ZZ-GE i was wondering if any one had anyinfo specifically looking for engine dimensions and what type of ecu and tranny to look for i was thinking some out of the corola would work but i dont know ( thats why im asking) im not a complete moron but i am kinda lost any help would be appreciated. (i can rewire a Whole car so thats not a problem)

there has been talking on this... nobody on this forum has done it yet. Lots of "plans" and lots of "eventually" (including myself? lol)... but its january of 07, and the car is an 07... give it till 08/09 when those warrantees start wear out, used yaris being available for half of what they are now, and the mod community will grow tenfold.

The platform has tons of potential, and... its not a honda! :headbang:

But, to be of more help (or maybe not, lol)... there is no book with a partslist and lots of nifty pics on how to swap any motor into the yaris, at least it hasnt been found yet. If you really want to do it, do the legwork yourself... write the book, and gain tons of respect from the community :)

Search and you shall find! Just let us know what you find so it can benefit everyone :headbang:

A good place to start @ the tranny... not sure how much help it is in the long run but: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3678

eTiMaGo
02-06-2007, 12:17 AM
It's possible, TRD Thailand can do it here for about US$3000, but it's an engine swap only, not the gearbox... Engine would be a refurbished 2ZZ-GE

They say it would take about 3 months in total to order the engine, modify the engine bay, and get everything running.

I'm quite sure I will eventually do this to my car, in a year or two, but I want to explore forced induction on the stock engine first.

Kaotic Lazagna
02-06-2007, 01:32 AM
i think there was an aftermarket company that swapped 1NZ-FE for the 2ZZ-GE on their show car.

eTiMaGo
02-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Oh it's certainly already been done, I am sure there are hundreds running around in Japan... But how can we access all that information?? :biggrin:

spkrman
02-06-2007, 03:46 AM
Oh it's certainly already been done, I am sure there are hundreds running around in Japan... But how can we access all that information?? :biggrin:

ask these guys:

http://users.qconline.com/~jgillispie/images/mxc1.jpg

Kaotic Lazagna
02-06-2007, 07:31 PM
lol...MXC. hilarious show.

magoo_lc1
02-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I love the looks of the new oscar jackson super charger. Its for the fit now but if we can bug him to death maybe they will develp one for the yaris. Its not the typical old desing he used to have. Its much more efficent now, looks like a turbo and now oil lines to run or pans to tap. BLitz kit looks to be to much money for my pockets.

Doc Zaius
02-07-2007, 12:31 AM
ask these guys:

HAHAHAhahahhahha!!! :bellyroll: nice one!! :biggrin:

eTiMaGo
02-07-2007, 01:03 AM
I love the looks of the new oscar jackson super charger. Its for the fit now but if we can bug him to death maybe they will develp one for the yaris. Its not the typical old desing he used to have. Its much more efficent now, looks like a turbo and now oil lines to run or pans to tap. BLitz kit looks to be to much money for my pockets.

Yeah I saw an ad in a magazine for a supercharger that looked a lot like a turbo turbine... are those any good?

Doc Zaius
02-07-2007, 01:27 AM
mmmmmm... pretty (http://www.jacksonracing.com/)! :drool:

eTiMaGo
02-07-2007, 02:26 AM
nice... Look sso much more modular than a standard supercharger... Doesn't look like it would take much to adapt to a yaris...

Russelt3hPirate
02-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah I saw an ad in a magazine for a supercharger that looked a lot like a turbo turbine... are those any good?

you need to see the compressor map for that given unit to know how well it compares to the other superchargers on the market.

and it looked like the compressor not the turbine.

cdydjded
02-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I spoke to Oscar @ PRI & to the rep for Rotrex, its not going to happen unless all the pulleys are changed. Here the problem, the Yaris has 3 groove pulleys. The Rotrex need minimal 5 grooves. I had the brackets done before I spoke to the Rotrex rep. It fits without a problem. Just that changing the pulleys would make the kit expensive.

eTiMaGo
02-08-2007, 01:20 AM
you need to see the compressor map for that given unit to know how well it compares to the other superchargers on the market.

and it looked like the compressor not the turbine.

Oops wrong choice of words there :laugh:

They have three different sizes available, this is for the mid-sized one:
http://www.rotrex.com/pdfs/Rotrex_Technical_Datasheet_C30_Range_V1.6.pdf

and for the small-size one:
http://www.rotrex.com/pdfs/Rotrex_Technical_Datasheet_C15_Range_V_3.5.pdf

Both of them should be applicable to our engines, according to their ratings. There's a lot more info at www.rotrex.com, if someone more knowledgeable then myself can take a look and share their opinion :wink:

I spoke to Oscar @ PRI & to the rep for Rotrex, its not going to happen unless all the pulleys are changed. Here the problem, the Yaris has 3 groove pulleys. The Rotrex need minimal 5 grooves. I had the brackets done before I spoke to the Rotrex rep. It fits without a problem. Just that changing the pulleys would make the kit expensive.

Could we not use an aftermarket accessory pulley for a Scion (for example), which has the extra space for the power steering belt (which the Yaris does not use), and run it off that? If not, it should not cost all that much to get a custom pulley done, seeing what's available out there...

nsmitchell
02-08-2007, 10:22 AM
mmmmmm... pretty (http://www.jacksonracing.com/)! :drool:
I see the Honda Fit has the JR Supercharger available. I had a JR Supercharger in my old 1998 Honda CR-V. It was still slow. :frown:

ChinoCharles
02-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Jackson has been supercharging Honduhs forever.

yarisTOONR82
02-08-2007, 12:15 PM
does anyone know if the 1nzfe out of an 04 scion xb would work in a yaris?

eTiMaGo
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
erm probably, but why would you want to swap for the same engine?

yarisTOONR82
02-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I am looking at buying one and rebuilding the top end. forged titanium rods, forged aluminum pistons, bore it out to 76mm (1.6L), and new head gasket to change the compression to 8.5:1. This way It will be able to handle forced induction reliably and have a little bit more displacement.

Doc Zaius
02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Sounds like an awesome project!!! But I'm not sure if its quite the same engine. I remember hearing something about 2 belts, whereas we have just one...? There are more qualified people than me to answer this.

cdydjded
02-08-2007, 01:21 PM
yaristoon: do you realize what a titanium rod cost? Carrilo & Crower has rods available. :smile:

yarisTOONR82
02-08-2007, 09:00 PM
$1000usd for rods, pistons, head gasket, and all hardware.

yarisTOONR82
02-08-2007, 09:01 PM
and $650 for a use engine. (if I can find one that works.)

ChinoCharles
02-08-2007, 09:03 PM
No power steering belt on the Yaris. Its electric... boogie woogie woogie.

eTiMaGo
02-08-2007, 09:08 PM
No power steering belt on the Yaris. Its electric... boogie woogie woogie.

yeah but that should just be a matter of swapping a couple of pulleys :smile:

ChinoCharles
02-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I was just stating the reason for the extra pulley on the Scions... I don't know shit about engine swaps! :biggrin: If you need a steak grilled or a computer built, call me though.

cdydjded
02-08-2007, 10:28 PM
yaristoon: sorry but you will spend $1000 on the rods alone. I sell JE pistons on eBay & I sell them for $485.00. Even Eagle rods which are the cheapest on the market cost $325.00. I think you meant billet steel rods.

spkrman
02-08-2007, 10:32 PM
yaristoon: sorry but you will spend $1000 on the rods alone. I sell JE pistons on eBay & I sell them for $485.00. Even Eagle rods which are the cheapest on the market cost $325.00. I think you meant billet steel rods.

what is your ebay username, pm me :)

cdydjded
02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
spark: per4mancefactory :smile:

Doc Zaius
02-08-2007, 11:11 PM
$1000usd for rods, pistons, head gasket, and all hardware.

Ya. Woah... thats pretty damn cheap! If you've actually found such a deal, lemme in on it, ok!! :biggrin:

I was just stating the reason for the extra pulley on the Scions... I don't know shit about engine swaps! :biggrin: If you need a steak grilled or a computer built, call me though.

Hahahhahaha... awesome... I'm eating steak while setting up a dual-boot Win98/Win2k POS laptop. :thumbsup:

ChinoCharles
02-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Cow-munching nerds unite!

yarisTOONR82
02-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Toyota 16V DOHC 2000-04
Engine
Code Stock
Bore Includes: Engine Kit #/Price
1NZFE 75mm Complete Gasket Set
Performance MLS Head Gasket
ROSS/Wiseco Forged Pistons
(75, 75.5, 76mm) and
(8.5, 9.0, 9.5, 10.0 comp ratio)
Plasma Moly Rings
TOGA HP Main Bearings
TOGA HP Rod Bearings
Thrust Washers EKTO41MPX
$969

Call to Order:
(603) 378-0090

yarisTOONR82
02-08-2007, 11:40 PM
there is an upcharge for materials cost on titanium.

Doc Zaius
02-09-2007, 12:56 AM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!! :biggrin:

cdydjded
02-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Yaris: no rods on package #17, call them for the price of the Ti rods, make sure you are sitting down

FlintArrow
02-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Making a 2zz-ge fit into a Yaris is no easy task, you will need:

1.) An extreme amount of talent and time

or...

2.) A TON of money and a quality shop.

Once you figure out the wiring, engine mounts, CV/lug conversion, and all the firewall modification to make it fit its a matter of making it pass emissions. For those living in a non-testing county this is easy.

If you want to receive a BAR sticker for 49 state emission legality the engine/ecu must have the following:

*Be at least the same year or newer than the chassis (thus limiting your 2zz-ge choices)
*Maintain all factory emission equipment from that powertrain (no hacking cats/stand-alones/etc)

Its true, you could drum up a nasty supercharger system and piggyback computer and tweak it to run clean enough to pass most emission tests (no check engine lights). For the price of a 2zz-ge swap you could either rebuild the engine with titanium components and reinforce the block or just keep throwing in stock 1nz's at $300 + labor per shot.

This way you could also revert it back to stock if you had to sell it w/o trying to explain your Franken-Yaris to a confused buyer.

If your dedicated enough to swap the 2zz I would just cherish every minute with the car and figure a way to register it in the boonies. Its a much easier way for most people to get new license tabs.

PS: The 1zz-fe and the 2zz-ge are equal in difficulty to swap while the only advantage the 1zz has is its price and availability. Performance per buck is nowhere near the 2zz.

cdydjded
02-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Why not just build the 1NZ? A swap is going to be very difficult & expensive. I have noticed that most Yaris owners are cheap. Motor mounts are not an issue. Now the ECU is going to be a problem. Then there is the fly by wire throttle, good luck.

elsteverino889
02-12-2007, 09:36 PM
why go through the trouble to switch engines, the day that there is a sick turbo that comes out for our car your gonna regret waisting all that money bcuz once there is a sick turbo kit out you can build off of that turbo kit and try to get maximum power out of that, if not just sell your car and invest the money you were gonna on a engine swap on a new or used suby or in that class of car..i plan on having the yaris only for about 3-4 years bcuz i want a way faster car bcuz im to young and dont go the flow but soon ill be making bucks to pay off my car and buy a new one

fu_im_from_texas
02-13-2007, 12:39 AM
why go through the trouble to switch engines...waisting all that money bcuz ... sick turbo kit ... maximum power... bcuz ...bcuz im to young and dont go the flow but soon ill be making bucks to pay off my car and buy a new one

huh?

FlintArrow
02-13-2007, 12:47 AM
why go through the trouble to switch engines, the day that there is a sick turbo that comes out for our car your gonna regret waisting all that money bcuz once there is a sick turbo kit out you can build off of that turbo kit and try to get maximum power out of that, if not just sell your car and invest the money you were gonna on a engine swap on a new or used suby or in that class of car..i plan on having the yaris only for about 3-4 years bcuz i want a way faster car bcuz im to young and dont go the flow but soon ill be making bucks to pay off my car and buy a new one

Well for the price of any swap you can not only get a "kit" but a full blown custom system. This means your building your car for a purpose not building it per a kit's intent...huge difference.

Sure though, sell the Yaris and get a used WRX. Then you will realize that every gear grinds and half the teeth off your pinion shaft reside on the bottom of the trans. Believe me, an ex suby guy...the only performance Suby with a decent trans to hit the USA is the STI. :thumbup:

There is always someone faster out there. Buy a car you like and be happy with it. Otherwise the one day you sell the Yaris to get a Suby you will run into someone with a fully built Supra, Corvette, 911 GT2, etc and you will feel like its all been a wasted effort.

Not trying to knock the dream...just trying to keep it all in perspective. We have all been there once.

Nimble
02-13-2007, 11:28 AM
K20Z1 FTW.

Snake
02-15-2007, 11:14 AM
the motor you guys have in your yaris just doesnt have the capabilities to produce the power you want, dont waste too much on the 1.5
I doubt anyone can push over 185 hp with a good amount of boost

if your looking into a 2zz swap, im sure its not going to be too difficult

you can buy a used 2zz from a toyota matrix, celica gts, or vibe gt
they come pretty cheap, the one i bought for the mr2 cost me 450

im looking into if our c50 trans will work with the 2zz motor, if people can post some pics of the c50 trans then this will help

as for engine management, you can run a hydra stand alone for the 2zz

if you want to run close to stock, you can swap the yaris computer for a celica gts computer if thats possible, i know they do it on the mr2's with a special wiring setup someone designed from the spyder forums
a similar setup can be made

if anyone is serious about doing this swap, i believe it is very possible and a little bit more research has to be done
with a built 2zz and boost, you can push over 350 fwhp, think about it?

eTiMaGo
02-15-2007, 10:52 PM
turbo'ed 2ZZ in a Yaris... I wonder if there'll be enough space under the hood to fit all that! And you better have brakes and suspension to follow, not to mention a good LSD, with that much power to the front wheels :laugh:

Snake
02-16-2007, 04:23 AM
anything is possible my friend
and you have plenty of room under that hood
and an lsd shouldnt be much of a problem to install
but definately some upgraded axles

FlintArrow
02-16-2007, 11:37 PM
the motor you guys have in your yaris just doesnt have the capabilities to produce the power you want, dont waste too much on the 1.5
I doubt anyone can push over 185 hp with a good amount of boost

if your looking into a 2zz swap, im sure its not going to be too difficult

you can buy a used 2zz from a toyota matrix, celica gts, or vibe gt
they come pretty cheap, the one i bought for the mr2 cost me 450

im looking into if our c50 trans will work with the 2zz motor, if people can post some pics of the c50 trans then this will help

as for engine management, you can run a hydra stand alone for the 2zz

if you want to run close to stock, you can swap the yaris computer for a celica gts computer if thats possible, i know they do it on the mr2's with a special wiring setup someone designed from the spyder forums
a similar setup can be made

if anyone is serious about doing this swap, i believe it is very possible and a little bit more research has to be done
with a built 2zz and boost, you can push over 350 fwhp, think about it?

A stock 1nz-fe can only see so much boost and power before things start breaking, it was never designed to. Being an FE style engine the rods, pistons, and pretty much everything else was designed entirely for economical reasons. A BUILT 1nz as any engine can take much more punishment and with the right fuel/engine management and head/cam work it can produce serious power.

The difference is that the Matrix, Celica, and MR2 all share the 1zz-fe standard engine. The Matrix XRS, Celica GT-S, and Corolla XRS had the 2zz has a standard feature. This fact means the motor mounts, transmission linkages, etc are similar enough to justify simple changes during the assembly line. The Yaris, X series of Scion, Echo, etc never had anything available except 1nz and some 1.0/1.3 options in other places of the world.

The Celica ECU or any 2zz ecu will work with a swap as long as your able to wire up the main functions from one harness to another. This of course takes some wiring ability and perhaps the discipline to not fixing every last wire (ex: not getting all accessories to work).

The real problem is getting the mounts to line up, getting the linkage right, wiring done, exhaust system plumbed, powersteering to work, ac system to link up, etc. The ABS and restraint systems will be nearly impossible.

A 2zz is definitely possible and has been done. However, these are not Honda engine swaps that two high school kids do over a weekend and a few beers. They even make kits for those guys.

I think the Yaris crowd needs a little bit more power and more work on suspension and weight loss. You can only put down so much power with fwd and we dont have factory fender flairs. Stock SRT-4's have a chore putting down 230 at the wheels in stock trim. Much past this the game just gets silly. Sure slicks and straight lines (60mph+ as the kids do these days) are one thing but turn the wheel and try leaving an apex and your going to get walked on at some point to a rwd or awd car.

While its a fun idea to make a wild flame-spitting tire smoking Yaris but its probably not the most practical. Any Yaris that can corner flat and put down 15-16 second quarter mile times is a blisteringly fast car on any track. Remember a Cooper S only do low to high 15's stock.

Black Yaris
02-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Fuck it, who want to see a Chevy 350 in a Yaris!!!

ChinoCharles
02-17-2007, 01:58 AM
While its a fun idea to make a wild flame-spitting tire smoking Yaris but its probably not the most practical. Any Yaris that can corner flat and put down 15-16 second quarter mile times is a blisteringly fast car on any track. Remember a Cooper S only do low to high 15's stock.

This pretty much sums up my view on anything performance-related with this car.

eTiMaGo
02-17-2007, 04:05 AM
Very good insight... Personally I would not want to see more than 200 hp on my car, more than that would basically go to waste, I'm not gonna go drag racing :tongue:

cdydjded
02-17-2007, 11:16 AM
There is one major obsticle that no one has pointed out that I feel will be a huge task to over come, that is the fact that our cars do not use a throttle cable. Engine mounts can be fabricated, computers can be wired in but for the throttle cable you are going to need a throttle body from an XA or XB with an adaptor since our TB's have 3 bolts & the XA/XB have 4. Then you are going to have to figure out a pedal & cable system that works. I feel that instead of swaping the engine a built 1NZ with a turbo or SC kit would be the way to go.

Snake
02-17-2007, 11:47 AM
A stock 1nz-fe can only see so much boost and power before things start breaking, it was never designed to. Being an FE style engine the rods, pistons, and pretty much everything else was designed entirely for economical reasons. A BUILT 1nz as any engine can take much more punishment and with the right fuel/engine management and head/cam work it can produce serious power.

The difference is that the Matrix, Celica, and MR2 all share the 1zz-fe standard engine. The Matrix XRS, Celica GT-S, and Corolla XRS had the 2zz has a standard feature. This fact means the motor mounts, transmission linkages, etc are similar enough to justify simple changes during the assembly line. The Yaris, X series of Scion, Echo, etc never had anything available except 1nz and some 1.0/1.3 options in other places of the world.

The Celica ECU or any 2zz ecu will work with a swap as long as your able to wire up the main functions from one harness to another. This of course takes some wiring ability and perhaps the discipline to not fixing every last wire (ex: not getting all accessories to work).

The real problem is getting the mounts to line up, getting the linkage right, wiring done, exhaust system plumbed, powersteering to work, ac system to link up, etc. The ABS and restraint systems will be nearly impossible.

A 2zz is definitely possible and has been done. However, these are not Honda engine swaps that two high school kids do over a weekend and a few beers. They even make kits for those guys.

I think the Yaris crowd needs a little bit more power and more work on suspension and weight loss. You can only put down so much power with fwd and we dont have factory fender flairs. Stock SRT-4's have a chore putting down 230 at the wheels in stock trim. Much past this the game just gets silly. Sure slicks and straight lines (60mph+ as the kids do these days) are one thing but turn the wheel and try leaving an apex and your going to get walked on at some point to a rwd or awd car.

not a bad post only thing i disagree with is this "You can only put down so much power with fwd and we dont have factory fender flairs. Stock SRT-4's have a chore putting down 230 at the wheels in stock trim."
dont know about this considering my SRT puts down over 600 fwhp, so I kind of disagree with this one.
Ive seen front wheel drive cars put down close to 1000 fwhp...
For an SRT-4 to put down 300fwhp, you only need $1500 in aftermarket mods on the motor, so its not that difficult.

If you manage to get 200 horse out of any motor at the wheels on the yaris with a good amount of weight reduction, your talking a low 13 sec hatchback thats not too bad

eTiMaGo
02-17-2007, 06:35 PM
not a bad post only thing i disagree with is this "You can only put down so much power with fwd and we dont have factory fender flairs. Stock SRT-4's have a chore putting down 230 at the wheels in stock trim."
dont know about this considering my SRT puts down over 600 fwhp, so I kind of disagree with this one.
For an SRT-4 to put down 300fwhp, you only need $1500 in aftermarket mods on the motor, so its not that difficult.

If you manage to get 200 horse out of any motor at the wheels on the yaris with a good amount of weight reduction, your talking a low 13 sec hatchback thats not too bad

Yes, but what he was explaining is that it's only really good for straight line speed. If you're looking to have it go round a track, or even just daily driving that much horsepower can seriously negatively affect your handling with front wheel drive, unless you have a real feather foot.

FlintArrow
02-22-2007, 02:15 AM

I definitely agree with your response; it was a misunderstanding.

I re-read my post and I didnt mean "SRT-4's have a problem producing 230 hp" but rather "traction issues arise with street tires and much more than 230 whp on various tracks."

What I really should have said is: "you can only attain so much streetable horsepower before traction issues arise; FWD and street radials lowers those limits."

I love SRT-4's. They are a blast and well designed. They punish other drivers who have spent twice as much. However, many owners go the power route because its more satisfying than making a well-balanced performance car. As you have noted making TONS of power with the 2.4T is about as easy as cooking Top Ramen in the microwave. :evil:

If the Yaris had stout internals, a turbo and huge I.C., and a Quaife from the factory they would do the exact same thing. :thumbup:

However, I bet a Yaris with 150 whp and some little R-Compounds would be a serious toy! It might only trap 90 in the quarter but your arm wouldnt be in a sling from a track day of torque steer. Lol.

PS: Sorry for officially threadjacking the topic.

I still stand that a 2zz-ge swap would be supreme if the time or money were attainable. A solid 155-160 whp in a Yaris would be extremely fun and reliable. I would use a PowerFC or similar unit to smooth the VVTL-I curve so it wouldnt be as severe.

Otherwise for 99% of the other people I would rather suggest a very mild boost situation with an insurance fund for 1nz-fe's. One per season or a mild bottom-end build with a very safe tune.

turboyaris
02-22-2007, 04:28 AM
I don't understand why anyone would want to swap in a different engine. I mean sure it can be done, but I don't see a need to unless your trying to build an ultra drag specific car. The fact that you guys are missing is that the car is a light car ~2200lbs. If you swap in a different engine you run the risk of making the car heavier, because the celica engine is going to be heavier, not to mention you have to get the motor mounts just right to keep the car from being imbalanced. Personally if you make the stock engine have 200whp you would be running a 13 flat maybe even into the 12s depending on traction, I don't see why you would need a car faster then that. That being said... if you want to swap in an engine, I would do a tc engine maybe even turbo that. Reason being is the scions and the yaris seem to have similar things in common and I know its possible to cram a tc engine in an xb so why not into a yaris. But again that engine is heavier. Keep your car light and you dont need gobs of power to be fast. Plus it wuold be cool to say you have a tiny engine and your car runs 12s. Also too about the throttle body the tc's use a electric throttle body as well so it would work. Actually the guys that have my car are looking into switching throttle bodies as a possible upgrade. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

eTiMaGo
02-22-2007, 04:38 AM
Ah, that's the beauty of car modifications.. so many choices, so many schools of thought, so many possibilities for unique results, each with its advantages and drawbacks.

FlintArrow
02-22-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't understand why anyone would want to swap in a different engine. I mean sure it can be done, but I don't see a need to unless your trying to build an ultra drag specific car. The fact that you guys are missing is that the car is a light car ~2200lbs. If you swap in a different engine you run the risk of making the car heavier, because the celica engine is going to be heavier, not to mention you have to get the motor mounts just right to keep the car from being imbalanced. Personally if you make the stock engine have 200whp you would be running a 13 flat maybe even into the 12s depending on traction, I don't see why you would need a car faster then that. That being said... if you want to swap in an engine, I would do a tc engine maybe even turbo that. Reason being is the scions and the yaris seem to have similar things in common and I know its possible to cram a tc engine in an xb so why not into a yaris. But again that engine is heavier. Keep your car light and you dont need gobs of power to be fast. Plus it wuold be cool to say you have a tiny engine and your car runs 12s. Also too about the throttle body the tc's use a electric throttle body as well so it would work. Actually the guys that have my car are looking into switching throttle bodies as a possible upgrade. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

I agree in many ways.

There really isnt a reason to swap in another engine unless your running into a brick wall of performance and have money to burn. There are very very few motorsport events that allow for swapped engine vehicles and even less places you can pull it off from an emission stance. For those who have the money to burn a 2zz swap is the most plausible as all others would have to be basically assembled from the ground up.

I also completely agree that weight reduction is the name of the game. 15" wheels, stripped interiors with non-adjust race seats, etc is the easist way to make a car with 106 hp go faster. 18's and a bumpin system is only for commuters.

Sadly though a 2zz is within 20 pounds of a 1nz if not the exact same weight. I have read some comparisions on a Echo forum and you wouldnt imbalance the car at all...just pick up 55 whp.

Most Yaris models weight in the mid 2300 pound range. My 2000 MR-S tips the scales slightly under 2200 and it doesnt have side/curtain air bags or a back seat, trunk, etc.

If you could get 200 whp from a built/blown 1nz in a 2300 pound Yaris, more than likely you wouldnt get anything better than mid 13's which is still VERY fast. An Elise at 1950 with 160 whp runs mid 13's at 103-106 and most 2zz swapped MR2 Spyders at 2250 with 160 whp run high 13's at 103ish. I am sure there is someone out there with Hoosier slicks and no interior who will rip into the 12's but probably not the average. Point being, mid 13's from a Yaris is sickening fast. :burnrubber:

From a spec standpoint the 2zz-ge and the 2az-fe are completely different animals. I know any TC fan will live and die by the performance potential of the 2.4 but compared to a 2zz IMO its not a fair comparison.

The 2zz out of the box puts out 10 more whp than the 2az, is much lighter and compact, has its powerband in the right place (due to VVTL-I cams), and internally has been designed for performance applications. Its heads and intake manifold are a work of art and its internals are stout with over 11:1 compression.

While it can be argued that the 2az has the potential to make more power (as its over half a liter larger), i believe at some point you will find flow and rev limitations as well as engine management problems. The extra torque would be great for drivability but depending on tire fitment could be a double-edge sword. Now, if you comparing a built 2az vs a stock 2zz then by all means it has an advantage. The nice thing about all FE style blocks (1zz, 2az, etc) is they are littered in economy cars making engine replacement very cheap. How hard is it to find a wrecked Corolla or Camry?

All Celica engine options, the 2zz and 1zz, are drive by wire operated so ECU wiring is the task at hand.

With stroker and boost options available to the smaller 1.8 engines (or even 1nz), IMO, its a much more viable performance option to putting in a 2.4. As we have noted, the Yaris is a very light rig and the need of all that torque isnt as great as say a TC cracking the scales at over 2900 pounds.

Still, I always invite a vehicle that has been done differently. Cookie-cutter mods are very boring and nobody draws a crowd these days with a B16 Honda swap if bone stock. :wink:

PS: Sorry Honda fans; not trying to insult anyone. Its a great engine to swap into any car...just a bit common.

Snake
02-22-2007, 05:48 PM
somebody buy my yaris and toss a 2zz in it lol
need to get rid of this thing, come one guys help a guy out to sell a car

mikeukrainetz
02-23-2007, 12:40 AM
before diving headlong into the projects im working on over winter I looked into a 2zz swap for the yaris, might even buy the parts for it if I can sell one of the other projects. Trying to find a wrecked or tired 2000+ celica, vibe or matrix around here is impossible for less than 8-9k.
From the research I did do at the time it seemed the only daunting task of the swap was the wiring. Youd need a whole donor car or engine with complete harness to pull off the swap unless you want to spend weeks chasing wires.
Only other issue is lack of front tranny mount which could easily be solved with a cross brace. Like its been said, weight is negligeable, size also, engine mounts on either side are (should) be the same. Some minor clearance issues on the passenger side pulleys and building a complete exhaust from the header back.
Nice thing is the matrix came with an AWD and six speed for a couple years, celica had a six speed in the gts didnt it? cant remember now.
I do know I took all the measurements from the AWD matrix and other than having to mock up rear suspension mounts, cutting down the driveshaft (about 4 inches to long) and putting in a tunnel it would all fit.
Course the straight engine swap is the easier of the two evils. Either way if youve never done a swap or dont intend to do it yourself it may be super daunting and overly expensive to get a shop to do it.
I for one will never spend what youd need to on the stock 1nz just to get 150 reliable hp out of it.
Ive also bounced around the idea of getting a small displacement aluminum longitudinal v8 or v6 and four link with a rear live axle from a miata so dont laugh to hard at the small block chev idea....

A guy in town here built a mini with a small block in it for the 'knox mountain hill climb' was the craziest thing ive seen, think the tranny was bolted direct to the rearend...

Anyway, dont think youll see any extreme yaris anytime soon.

we-to-11
06-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey im lookin for the owners of this cars.... or if anybody knows owners of a yaris with another not regular engine???:confused:

I wanna get some informations before i try to put another engine in there:rolleyes:

http://www.japan-tunes.com/orig.jpg

http://www.japan-tunes.com/orig2.jpg

http://www.japan-tunes.com/orig3.jpg

slothman86
06-20-2007, 02:16 PM
4AGE 20v powered NCP91....ACP91 Awesome, I was thinking the same thing!

YarisTom73
06-20-2007, 03:40 PM
:drool: Holy shoehorned-in, Batman... if I were to find a powerplant like that, what would I tell the junkyard to look under the hood of??
What sort or WHP would a setup like this run, with stock internals? :iono:

slothman86
06-20-2007, 03:45 PM
I believe the 20v 4AGE was in JPN only...so good luck in the junkyard, you can buy them online...but I don't know about the tranny, mounts, ecu...etc

hatchbackkid82
06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey everyone. I was just curious, does anyone know If there is engine swap available for the Yaris yet. I refuse to believe that there isn't:help: We've gotta be able to get the Celica GT-S motor in there some how. Turbo can't be the only way to go. Even building this motor up would be kind of useless, I think. The Yaris is light as hell, someone has to have done a motor swap already. The Yaris weighs about as much as the old school Civic hatchback (90-93). The Yaris is a great platform to start with I think. You figure Honda has the EG Hatchbacks weighing about 2200lbs , and Honda guys are putting the 1.8 GSR motor in there, with about 170hp. We have our Yaris and the 1.8 GT-S motor with 180hp, this would be a nice equivalent to what the honda guys have. Shit even the fit has a swap! Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Smartasses don't respond thanks. Peace:thumbsup:

weaponrcamry
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
yes, the celica motor fits u probably have to modify the firewall, but it does fit.... The only problem is that street image did a yaris with the swap. but they dont have any information on their website.
Yea the fit's engine bay is big as heLL. U can dump a k24 in that bit**

hatchbackkid82
06-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm telling you guys, Yaris+GT-S motor= Fast Ass Eggmobile. Lol

cleong
06-20-2007, 07:40 PM
The 16V/20V 4AGE comes from a AE101/AE111 Toyota Levin/Trueno Coupe. I am not sure if other cars come with it.

slothman86
06-20-2007, 07:46 PM
16v 4age come in the geo prism sometimes and in the AW11 MR2

cdydjded
06-20-2007, 08:04 PM
OK I need to vent a little on this topic, here I go, lets just say you could get a GTS engine in our car, Engine $2900 (ebay). Tranny +/- $1000, then you need labor +/- $1500, mounts, wiring & miscellanious +/- $2000. Now you have invested +/- $7400 & you have a 180 flywheel hp Yaris which equals 145 to the wheels. Now this is all asuming you can get everything done for this amount of $$. Now how many people on this forum are going to spend half of the total cost of their car on a swap? Consider that Blitz & Greedy have a SC & ZPI has a turbo kit for less than half of what a swap cost & only 3 owners have gone in the forced induction route! Guys WE bought a INEXPENSIVE CAR! The possibility of any of us spending $7400 is slim to none. If you wanted more power you needed to start with a better platform. If you want a more powerfull Yaris a Turbo Kit for $3200, a S/C kit for $2500 or a N2O kit for $550 is the best way right now. I am not saying that a swap is never going to be done. But the $ per HP value is just not there. If you have $7400 to spend on your Yaris here is a plan for you: ZPI kit $3200, Pistons & rods $1200, install $1000, These $5400 will get you 200hp + to the wheels. Why swap?

joey1320
06-20-2007, 09:52 PM
OK I need to vent a little on this topic, here I go, lets just say you could get a GTS engine in our car, Engine $2900 (ebay). Tranny +/- $1000, then you need labor +/- $1500, mounts, wiring & miscellanious +/- $2000. Now you have invested +/- $7400 & you have a 180 flywheel hp Yaris which equals 145 to the wheels. Now this is all asuming you can get everything done for this amount of $$. Now how many people on this forum are going to spend half of the total cost of their car on a swap? Consider that Blitz & Greedy have a SC & ZPI has a turbo kit for less than half of what a swap cost & only 3 owners have gone in the forced induction route! Guys WE bought a INEXPENSIVE CAR! The possibility of any of us spending $7400 is slim to none. If you wanted more power you needed to start with a better platform. If you want a more powerfull Yaris a Turbo Kit for $3200, a S/C kit for $2500 or a N2O kit for $550 is the best way right now. I am not saying that a swap is never going to be done. But the $ per HP value is just not there. If you have $7400 to spend on your Yaris here is a plan for you: ZPI kit $3200, Pistons & rods $1200, install $1000, These $5400 will get you 200hp + to the wheels. Why swap?

good point. it'll be too expensive of a swap for the outcome. like you said, a turbo or SC will be a better idea.:wink:

fu_im_from_texas
06-21-2007, 02:13 AM
... If you wanted more power you needed to start with a better platform....

...mazdaSPEED3... if i had the money...

i cant be the only one who enjoys a light, low horsepower FWD car... wanna go fast? drop $1500 into a custom tein edfc suspension and another $1500 on driving schools...srry :offtopic:

mikeukrainetz
06-22-2007, 10:36 AM
strictly a biased opinion on the rebuild / swap. 3g's for a used engine? that better be prepped and ready in plastic wrap. There are a few yards here that have used long blocks w/ tranny for 1200 or less. This would mean a rebuild but youd have to do that anyway. Buy the engine harness from toyota for a few hundred, the ecu off eba or another yard for 50 bucks. That gets me to about 3500 or so parts only. A far cry from 7400.
And since when are you going to lose 45hp right off the top? There wasnt that much parasitic loss on 30yr old cars. The Yaris itself only loses 10hp as noted on dyno sheets posted up.
That 5400 you claim implies you do all the work yourself? Thats a parts only price too, what shop does the machine work, balancing, tuning? A grand for install? Maybe to drive the car onto the lift.
Ive done plenty of swaps, working on one right now; not on a Yaris but the principle is the same. I do all the work myself and dont pay retail for anything unless I have too. And from everything Ive read about the two engines (1nz and 2zz) they 'should' almost bolt it place of one another.
Both swap and FI are expensive options if you need to pay to have everything done by a shop.
so thats my vent.

eTiMaGo
06-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Over here, all things considered, including labor, It's more or less the same price for all 3 options... but an engine swap is preferable to me, as the new engine is basically stock, so it is not being pushed beyond what it was designed for to produce 180hp, and also leaves a lot more room for improvement.

And, no matter what, a brand new Yaris + all sorts of mods + new engine, here at least, is still gonna cost half of the price of a "proper" sports car, and give those a good run for their money :wink:

mikeukrainetz
06-22-2007, 02:07 PM
my sentiments exactly

cdydjded
06-22-2007, 03:23 PM
strictly a biased opinion on the rebuild / swap. 3g's for a used engine?
Search for a 2zz engine on ebay

There are a few yards here that have used long blocks w/ tranny for 1200 or less.
What engine?

Buy the engine harness from toyota for a few hundred, the ecu off eba or another yard for 50 bucks. That gets me to about 3500 or so parts only. A far cry from 7400.
Again what engine? Not a 2zz

And since when are you going to lose 45hp right off the top?
The average loss of HP to the wheels on a dyno is 15-20%

That 5400 you claim implies you do all the work yourself?
Yes

And from everything Ive read about the two engines (1nz and 2zz) they 'should' almost bolt it place of one another.
If that is the case there should be at least 200 engine swaped Yaris's out there.

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
06-22-2007, 04:10 PM
^ the engine harness isn't a couple of hundred more like a g. and make sure you got a vin# from the donor car for the harness......

mikeukrainetz
06-22-2007, 07:45 PM
theres plenty of corolla's and late model pontiacs available within 400km of my location and yes 2ZZ - ebay isnt the be-all-end-all of shopping but there HAS been plenty of ECU on there for a dime.

there isnt a pile of yaris swaps out there cause apparently its exhorbitantly expensive. guess thats why theres so many with FI.

I priced out an engine to replace my tired 3.1 in my malibu - the engines at the yard I called came complete, tranny and all including wiring to the ECU but not the ECU itself.

Nabisco
08-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Hello all,

I am eager to soon own a Yaris hatchback. I think it is the perfect hatchback in many ways. Once I get one I want to attend some local SCCA events and hopefully get involved.

Back to the topic, I don't see the practicality of a 1zz or 2zz swap. It wouldn't be cost effective and it couldn't have been explained any better earlier that a 200hp+ Yaris wouldn't perform well on a track. A swap car should be like discovering an Easter egg in software, it was "meant to be there".

Toyota used to produce the Starlet into the late 90's which had a 4EFTE?
After production ended of the Starlet I presume the Vits aka Yaris Echo etc. came about. Isn't there a Vitz turbo? If still in production, What year(s)? I could call a reputable importer I know and see if he knows much about them.

Nabisco
08-10-2007, 02:34 PM
4e-efte (starlet turbo) swap ?

Interesting :

http://www.stratisautosport.gr/en/products/car.php?id=43#164

Izi.D
12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm actually really debating this. Hopefully next month I'll be able to look at my expenses and chains and see what I can do for engine swaps. The 2ZZ-ge does look like good compatability... but idk, Trying to research what other engines you could possibly pop in.

cali yaris
12-10-2008, 10:00 PM
it couldn't have been explained any better earlier that a 200hp+ Yaris wouldn't perform well on a track.

um, I'm really hoping you're kidding about this. If not, c'mon over and take my car out for a spin. That statement is pure BS. Just keepin' it real.

Izi.D
12-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Haha, Well, I've done alittle more diggin', The 4AGE can also fit in, the only problems would be the tight fitting of it all. :frown: it is a 1.6l engine, and you can get about 135hp+ out of it, so it's a decent boost before you do anything else to it such as i/e/b etc etc. Input?:iono:

kustom play
12-10-2008, 11:21 PM
4agze could work also depending on fit

Nexus1155
12-10-2008, 11:41 PM
its been put into an echo already, i dont see why it wont fit into the yaris... the 4age that is

Valli Djöfull
12-11-2008, 05:40 PM
This one has a tuned 2.0 engine from a '89 Celica.
190 hp

5 gear manual
Quaife LSD
Best time on track - 13.5@100mph

Not my car, used as a rallycross car in iceland :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-EQR7HzPt0

http://www.aik-rallycross.com/images/stories/easygallery/15/1163083615_DSC00056.JPG

TheRealEnth
12-11-2008, 09:26 PM
i wanna take ur car for a spin =(

loneknight17
06-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by cdydjded

This is a good point. I own a 2004 XA (a larger yaris basically), there is plenty of power to dig out of this little engine with less stress than a swap. S/C is definitly the way to go due to the VVT-I the turbo will hand grenade the engine. It is relatively easy to push 200hp out of the 1nz-fe and at only ~2200lbs thats plenty. I was at ~145hp with an intake, exhaust and computer chip. (Until the catastrophic meltdown of a spark plug :frown:, I guess trial and error). Some bolt ons and a S/C should do the trick.

dallas
06-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Great link, HKS turbo kit, Swap etc.......

4e-efte (starlet turbo) swap ?

Interesting :

http://www.stratisautosport.gr/en/products/car.php?id=43#164

dallas
06-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Hello Kelowna Neighbor lol.

before diving headlong into the projects im working on over winter I looked into a 2zz swap for the yaris, might even buy the parts for it if I can sell one of the other projects. Trying to find a wrecked or tired 2000+ celica, vibe or matrix around here is impossible for less than 8-9k.
From the research I did do at the time it seemed the only daunting task of the swap was the wiring. Youd need a whole donor car or engine with complete harness to pull off the swap unless you want to spend weeks chasing wires.
Only other issue is lack of front tranny mount which could easily be solved with a cross brace. Like its been said, weight is negligeable, size also, engine mounts on either side are (should) be the same. Some minor clearance issues on the passenger side pulleys and building a complete exhaust from the header back.
Nice thing is the matrix came with an AWD and six speed for a couple years, celica had a six speed in the gts didnt it? cant remember now.
I do know I took all the measurements from the AWD matrix and other than having to mock up rear suspension mounts, cutting down the driveshaft (about 4 inches to long) and putting in a tunnel it would all fit.
Course the straight engine swap is the easier of the two evils. Either way if youve never done a swap or dont intend to do it yourself it may be super daunting and overly expensive to get a shop to do it.
I for one will never spend what youd need to on the stock 1nz just to get 150 reliable hp out of it.
Ive also bounced around the idea of getting a small displacement aluminum longitudinal v8 or v6 and four link with a rear live axle from a miata so dont laugh to hard at the small block chev idea....

A guy in town here built a mini with a small block in it for the 'knox mountain hill climb' was the craziest thing ive seen, think the tranny was bolted direct to the rearend...

Anyway, dont think youll see any extreme yaris anytime soon.

eTiMaGo
06-24-2009, 02:57 AM
wowo double zombie bonus for this thread :biggrin: