PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Short Shifter UPDATES

ChinoCharles
02-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Monday, February 5th, 2007

As many of you know, there is a reputable aftermarket company that is considering packaging a short shifter for the Yaris.

If the short shifter is given the green light, they will also order a pair of stock shifter bushings from Toyota and create stainless steel bushings to be offered with the short shifter as a package deal... everything you'll need for shorter, more precise shifts in one package, from one great company!

I will continue to keep you guys updated. No guarantees... no promises... but so far, so good.

Doc Zaius
02-05-2007, 03:39 PM
What exactly to bushings do?

ChinoCharles
02-05-2007, 03:51 PM
I've never had steel bushings so I can't say for sure... I've heard that they're the best under-50-dollar mod you can make to a manual car though. I do know that nobody makes them for the Yaris yet... or at least I haven't seen any.

TWM makes bushings for the cage, but not for the linkage in the engine bay.

bigsky2
02-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Good luck with this buddy, hoping to see a low-cost alternative to the TRD piece!

PS - I bit the billet and bought the TRD piece last week so I won't be a part of this experiment.

ChinoCharles
02-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks man, I'm hoping they'll follow through. So far it looks pretty damn good.

largeorangefont
02-06-2007, 01:43 PM
What exactly to bushings do?

The bushings mount the shifter mechanism to the vehicle. If it was directly bolted, you would feel every drivetrain vibration and noise right through the shifter.

OEMs use rubber bushings to isolate this noise and vibration from coming into the car through the shifter.

Stiffer bushings take slop out of the shift linkage. Steel bushings may increase noise a bit, and you will feel more vibration through the shifter. Shifting should feel more positive, with less slop. Alot of times urethane or delrin is used for this purpose instead of steel to decrease noise.

ChinoCharles
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks Ashley... you're quite the wealth of information. :biggrin:

YarisGuy
02-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Very good news. And if you are talking about shifter bushings on the tranny side then put me down for some. I have used them in other cars and they make a very nice difference. One of the best mods for the money :biggrin:

evilreign
02-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Damn, I've been lookin for a cheaper alternative to the $$$$ TRD one. Really lookin forward to seeing some more details on this when it comes out.

ChinoCharles
02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah, we're talking about the bushings on the tranny side. The stockies suck. I was bouncing mine off the kitchen floor the other day.

ChinoCharles
02-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Wednesday, February 21, 2007

It may be a while before we see an alternative. Stay tuned.

bigsky2
02-22-2007, 01:52 AM
They know what you're up to and are deliberately holding it back :wink:

eTiMaGo
02-22-2007, 04:10 AM
my thoughts exactly :biggrin:

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
02-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Wednesday, February 21, 2007

It may be a while before we see an alternative. Stay tuned. NOT TRUE, i ordered mine and got it next day.... TOYOTA HAS ALMOST 200 OF THESE IN THE COUNTRY RIGHT NOW.......

ChinoCharles
02-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh shiz, they're on to me... :laugh:

Time to ruffle some feathers...

ChinoCharles
03-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Monday, March 19th, 2007

Finally some good news! We should know whether or not the aforementioned "reputable shop" plans to produce a transmission-side Yaris short shifter piece very soon. The bushings should be pretty much in the bag, as they are much easier to produce. I'll continue to keep you all updated. Looks like good things may come to those who wait after all!

Black Yaris
03-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Sweet keep us updated with a $ amount as soon as ya find out

ChinoCharles
03-19-2007, 11:04 PM
You know it.

Moose
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Although I'm all about the aftermarket short-shifter, I'm not too enthuised about the whole stainless-steel-bushings-thing. I would much rather see a nice urethane set from Energy Suspension. I can imagine, since the steel bushings have NO play, that there could be negative side effects from using them. You should have a little play in the shifter- the rubber bushings, besides just insulating noise and vibration, keep you, the idiot human, from bending your shift forks and linkages when your shift angle is just a little off.

Just a thought.

jdubau55
03-20-2007, 05:10 PM
AKA Delrin (http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/PSearch2.asp?reqTyp=parametric&act=psearch&FAM=plastics&FT_138=119944&FT_121=2306&FT_136=1003&FT_101=46129&FT_205=104623&FT_1290=49297&FT_1215=46258,49441&FT_518=51531,51445,106629,107861,51529&ppe=2&session=desc=Delrin;plastics,101=46129,205=104623; 138=119944;136=1003;121=2306;M;I&sesnextrep=953323081734956&ScreenWidth=1024&McMMainWidth=807)

Not sure of the stock bushing OD but .875" OD x 4' is only like 13 bux.

largeorangefont
03-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Although I'm all about the aftermarket short-shifter, I'm not too enthuised about the whole stainless-steel-bushings-thing. I would much rather see a nice urethane set from Energy Suspension. I can imagine, since the steel bushings have NO play, that there could be negative side effects from using them. You should have a little play in the shifter- the rubber bushings, besides just insulating noise and vibration, keep you, the idiot human, from bending your shift forks and linkages when your shift angle is just a little off.

Just a thought.

I agree. I really doubt they would actually make them out of steel though.

eTiMaGo
03-20-2007, 11:06 PM

Just a thought.

I'm not so sure it's a big concern with this car, if you look at the way the shifter system is assembled, the only connection between the shifter and the gearbox itself are two rods that go only backward and forward, there should not be any need for any play since there's no way to really mess up your shift.

TWM also has some aluminium replacement bushings.

ChinoCharles
03-20-2007, 11:44 PM
TWM also has some aluminium replacement bushings.
TWM's bushings are for the cage. They are not for the tranny-side linkage. This is why I am so excited that these may be produced. It is uncharted territory, and that we don't want.

With stainless steel bushings, there is no play, so there are drawbacks. You will feel the road through your shifter. Some will say that for a daily driver it is pointless or annoying, but I personally like as much input from my car as possible. It helps you make decisions. The electronic power steering is already robbing you of that effect to a degree. Control is increased, but as Moose mentioned it comes at the price of risking long-term damage. If you're not an experienced stick driver, you may want to wait until you're good and comfortable before moving to steel bushings. If this isn't your first date with a clutch, however, you'll probably enjoy the sensation of actually feeling yourself sinking into gear.

eTiMaGo
03-21-2007, 01:14 AM
aaaah i see, my bad there :biggrin:

most interesting, then....

ChinoCharles
04-10-2007, 11:13 AM
OK. This is it folks. Cat is out of the bag... I hope I don't get yelled at for posting this, but it can now be found through the main web site, so I don't think I am sworn to secrecy anymore.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/ProductsDrivetrain.htm

'Nuff said. NST FTW!!!

Nutzoids
04-10-2007, 11:17 AM
OK. This is it folks. Cat is out of the bag... I hope I don't get yelled at for posting this, but it can now be found through the main web site, so I don't think I am sworn to secrecy anymore.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/ProductsDrivetrain.htm

'Nuff said. NST FTW!!!

The Million Dollar Question is still on the Table...

WILL IT WORK WITH TWM's KIT?

:evil:

ChinoCharles
04-10-2007, 11:19 AM
IT WILL! Your throws would be so short its insane!

The Two Million Dollar Question then...

When is it "too short?"

Nutzoids
04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
IT WILL! Your throws would be so short its insane!

The Two Million Dollar Question then...

When is it "too short?"

When your girlfriend says...

"It's OK dear... I was sleepy anyway!"

:evil:

ChinoCharles
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh jeez... :laugh:

Black Yaris
04-10-2007, 11:26 AM
what about the "TRD style" short throw, with our modified shifters? how short do you think those will be?

ChinoCharles
04-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I have a modified shifter and I'll likely be testing this new short shifter (which is tranny side) so I will let you guys know just how short it is.

eTiMaGo
04-10-2007, 11:32 AM
my only concern, after installing the TWM one, is that if it is combined with the TRD/CC shifter, it's going to be much too hard to push the lever into gear, there's already a lot of resistance.

But, wait and see :smile:

acrbill
04-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Are you saying that the NST short shifter is on the tranny side?

Back in my Neon days we used to have a mod where we moved the pivot point on the gear selector arm in about an inch. That eventually evolved into someone making a new arm. I did that mod along with a true short shifter and holy crap where the shifts short. I think it was 2.5" total forward back motion.

I will however say this. I had urethane bushings on the shift cables and they made shifting quickly difficult. I ended up putting the stock bushings back on the shifter side and leaving the aftermarkets on the tranny side and that helped a ton.

A short shifter is a mod you can enjoy dozens of times a day.

ChinoCharles
04-11-2007, 01:54 AM
It is tranny side. I think if bushings were made they'd be stainless steel.

YarisGuy
04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
A short shifter is a mod you can enjoy dozens of times a day.

If not more :burnrubber:

barebonedvitz
04-13-2007, 12:49 AM
ey charles, any update on the shifter combo? thanx man!

graywolf_14
04-15-2007, 11:13 AM
ok as in tranny side u mean it is just bushings on the tranny? Ok and when u get the trd shifter and is installed is there something to tell people it is trd? Does it come with a shiftknob or sticker or something?

eTiMaGo
04-15-2007, 11:22 AM
I think a sticker's included with the TRD one...

Chino, will you want any CCRD stickers? :laugh:

YogiYaris
04-27-2007, 12:00 AM

Just a thought.
This is true I have an Eagle Talon TSI AWD and I put the aftermarket bushings made for my car in. It is a good feeling and rids the slop but I slammed my shifter into gear at the wrong angle and had to buy all new shift linkage. Oh yeah it happened at the race track too which really sucked.

Black Yaris
04-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Any new updates on the part?

tk-421
05-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Any new updates on the part?
http://www.outsetmedia.com/images-for-website/gamesbytheme/kids/cardgames/BUMP-L.gif