PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control

Strider199
12-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Ok dont laugh but I did not get an owners manual with my 2012 manual Yaris. Back ordered 8 weeks from the Dealer.
I did a search on Traction Control but didn't find anything useful for the 2012.
Is it for braking or driving? If it's for driving, does it lessen the miles per gallon?
Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm curious.

CTScott
12-28-2011, 05:50 PM
You can download your owners manual from Toyota, but traction control is a "safety" feature.

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/owners-manuals

Strider199
12-28-2011, 06:05 PM
d/l manuals now, thanks.

fnkngrv
12-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Ok dont laugh but I did not get an owners manual with my 2012 manual Yaris. Back ordered 8 weeks from the Dealer.
I did a search on Traction Control but didn't find anything useful for the 2012.
Is it for braking or driving? If it's for driving, does it lessen the miles per gallon?
Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm curious.

Not a stupid question at all...the mileage one is actually a good one. I know that with my dad's truck when he has trac-con on 24/7 he does take a hit in mpg...not sure if it is dependant upon the platform, etc. I am curious now myself.

landrym28
12-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I'm curious now too. I know my trac control came in handy last winter, but on a day like today, where it's sunny and the pavement is dry, is it still necessary to have it on?

daf62757
12-29-2011, 10:40 AM
My other Toyotas have/had traction control. It has nothing to do with mileage. Its computer controlled. When your wheels slip because of ice or wet pavement, the car's computer tells the drive train what to do. It keeps the wheels from spinning and not getting traction. Its passive and doesn't engage until your car's wheels start to spin without forward/rear traction.

Strider199
12-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks daf62757. Nice info.:w00t:

matthewai
01-02-2012, 05:04 PM
My other Toyotas have/had traction control. It has nothing to do with mileage. Its computer controlled. When your wheels slip because of ice or wet pavement, the car's computer tells the drive train what to do. It keeps the wheels from spinning and not getting traction. Its passive and doesn't engage until your car's wheels start to spin without forward/rear traction.

for this reason i turn mine off - (dash lights come ON) when the roads are dry

daf62757
01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
for this reason i turn mine off - (dash lights come ON) when the roads are dry

On my 4runner...now owned by my dauther....when it did come on, I head some clicking from under the dash. That is how I knew it was engaged. It wasn't a big deal and I never really gave it a thought. I guess I could have turned it off but I didn't see a reason to.

enviri
01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
you'll hear that annoying beep when traction control kicks in and a flashing light at the dash, along with a cut in power or brakes being applied. I turn mine off when im messin about on a rainy or snowy day, otherwise i leave it on since i normally have a heavy foot at launch :)

Scubaru Steve
01-03-2012, 08:05 PM
the 2012's turn the traction control back on at 50 kph. but the stability control is awesome to mess around with, on ice and snow there is no understeer or oversteer, point the wheel and go!

enviri
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
^pull out that fuse! lol

do you still have to use the konami code like sequence to turn off tcs?

SineWave
01-21-2012, 02:09 AM
I have a button next to the handbrake on my ZR. Push once and the Traction Control is disabled, push and hold the button and both Traction and Stability Control are disabled. That is, until you turn the engine off again.