PDA

View Full Version : Turning on the defroster problem...

Chocobo87
01-10-2012, 02:28 AM
When I turn the dial all the way to the defrost setting, the side vents (the driver's main vent and the passenger's main vent) blow too.

Is this normal for anyone else? Shouldn't it only blow through the vents from the windows?

Thanks

Chocobo87
01-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Anyone?

jpmck03
01-17-2012, 02:19 AM
When I turn the dial all the way to the defrost setting, the side vents (the driver's main vent and the passenger's main vent) blow too.

Is this normal for anyone else? Shouldn't it only blow through the vents from the windows?

Thanks

Normally, when you turn on the defroster in a car, there are little side vents that defog your side windows... like so...

http://yarisworld.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=752&pictureid=5039

The 2nd gen Yaris (2006-2011)doesn't have this, so the outer vents pull double duty, doing defogging or A/C when selected with the A/C controls. It appears that the 3rd gen (2012-)is the same...

http://yarisworld.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=752&pictureid=5040

Just turn them towards your windows in the winter and you're good to go!

Chocobo87
01-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Thank you! :D

Scubaru Steve
01-17-2012, 10:55 PM
yes it is normal, and the 2012 does have the vents for the side windows. you just cant see them in that picture. here you can just barely see it just left and up from the weird useless cellphone out the window ejecting pocket. :)

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w357/scubarusteve/IMG_0573.jpg

jpmck03
01-17-2012, 11:21 PM
yes it is normal, and the 2012 does have the vents for the side windows. you just cant see them in that picture. here you can just barely see it just left and up from the weird useless cellphone out the window ejecting pocket. :) ...

Oh, I didn't know that...

I know that mine (2010) doesn't have those little vents for clearing the windows, so the side ones work on defrost. Figured that the new ones were the same, so now it makes a little less sense to have those side ones come on when the A/C is set to defrost... :iono:

And, is that what that odd little cubby is supposed to be? A cellphone pocket? Always looked like they forgot to add a vent there (since it's almost identical to the ones on the right side...)

Chocobo87
01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
So why did Toyota do this? It confused the crap out of me lol.

I also had to go to the dealer because of the recirculation button because it would not turn on, but that was because it was in the defrost position. I felt like a goofball lol

jpmck03
01-17-2012, 11:29 PM
So why did Toyota do this? It confused the crap out of me lol.

I also had to go to the dealer because of the recirculation button because it would not turn on, but that was because it was in the defrost position. I felt like a goofball lol

Got me, but it is weird. Maybe it's like the Yaris's appendix. It used to do something, but now it's not needed.

I also just noticed in Scubaru Steve photo that you guys with the 2012s have intermittent rear wipers.

Jerks.

:mad:

I wish us old Yaris guys got 'em.

:cry:

Scubaru Steve
01-18-2012, 09:18 AM
lol, the one thing i wish this had was adjustable intermittent for the front. the single wiper is really cool, but the sprayer nozzle could be a little more powerful!