PDA

View Full Version : NEW: 2008 Scion xB (Not bB anymore) and xD (Bye Bye xA)

Treyz
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Got the breaking news from Urban Racer ...

Intoducing the xD and new U.S. xB
http://www.urbanracer.com/gallery/articles/scion/newgen/b_splash.jpg

http://www.urbanracer.com/gallery/articles/scion/newgen/xb-01.jpg

2008 Scion xB
Don't call it a Toyota bB anymore. With styling evolved from the CALTY-designed Scion t2B concept, the new xB is specifically tailored for the U.S. While the original xB was a version of the Japanese market Toyota bB, Scion bypassed the option to pick up the new bB – which was released in Japan last year – to follow in the footsteps of the tC coupe, also a U.S.-only product. As speculated in forums, the new xB gets a new 2.4L powerplant (from the tC) with a reported 158 hp and 166 ft-lbs of torque. Compare that to the 103 hp (108 under old SAE testing specs) that the OG xB pulls with and the reasoning for a U.S.-specific xB becomes clearer.

The styling of the new xB also seeks to appeal to new audiences while keeping close to the original box theme. Most notably, the new xB features a high-beltline, a relatively dynamic profile, and a strong C pillar. Features like the semi-recessed headlight fixtures (HID projector units), the C pillar, the implied pinch of the lower body, and the visor-like wrap around glass area were all previewed on the t2B, which was designed by a CALTY team led by Alex Shen. While not as straight edged as the current car, the new xB keeps a longer, but still short front deck, tall wagon profile and features a dual slot front grille that is unmistakably xB in heritage. Attendees to the Miami event reported that the single pod center gauge cluster is now gone, replaced by a more conventional layout, and the floor mounted shifter has moved up to the dash a la the Honda CR-V and the debut confirms this. The information cluster is still centered but in four-circle pod which is in turn enclosed in a driver-centric binnacle.

http://www.urbanracer.com/gallery/articles/scion/newgen/xd-01.jpg

2008 Scion xD
The all-new xD also represents a maturing Scion – not only in its next-letter-in-the-alphabet nomenclature, but in the image tweak of its roll in the Scion lineup. While the youthful image of Scion has been solidly cast, the xA has been well behind its xB and tC siblings in sales. So, the xA, which was a mechanical twin of the xB, has been voted off the island so to speak. The new xD is a replacement only in the sense that it is a five-door hatchback taking the xA's place in the lineup. Mechanically and stylistically, the xD brings an edginess that was perceived to be lacking in the xA – especially when compared to its unorthodox xB brother.

According to the CD report, the new xD now moves to a slightly larger Yaris platform. That means it also gains a boost from a bigger 1.8 liter VVTi mill that pumps out 128 hp. Most notably from the exterior, the xD has been drawn with a ship-like prow similar to that of the Toyota Urban Cruiser Concept from Geneva 2006. Also interesting is the sharing of the strong C pillar and dual slot front grill with the xB – togther with the dual slot grill on the tC, they represent familial styling elements from a brand that originally shunned them. Expected features include standard 16 inch wheels, stability control, and an upgraded interior.

Full story with specs here ... http://www.urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=2347&z=3

Yaris_PR
02-08-2007, 12:22 PM
:eyebulge: WOW It's looks better for me...:headbang:

60 Somethings
02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Not a great look from my age-ed prospective, and decidedly even more up-scale. Just what every young person needs - a bigger car payment!

The move to a 1.8L I can understand, but a 2.4L - seems to be taking some more economy out of the xB.

The Xd looks like it might be closer to the Versa than the Yaris LB.

static808
02-08-2007, 04:36 PM
still don't like the xD, the new xB isn't so bad. i imagine those huge pillars would cause for a massive blind spot while driving. not my cup o' tea. and these scions do look like they're getting much bigger. guess toyota doesnt want scion to compete with the yaris lineup. these look placed between the yaris and corrola/matrix...

--B

Chris07LB
02-08-2007, 06:43 PM
red one reminds me of a Versa.

Treyz
02-08-2007, 07:36 PM
The move to a 1.8L I can understand, but a 2.4L - seems to be taking some more economy out of the xB.

The Xd looks like it might be closer to the Versa than the Yaris LB.
According to what was written about the xd .. boys and girls, introducing Yaris's Scion counterpart .. I quote "the new xD now moves to a slightly larger Yaris platform..."

As for the xB .. it is now equiped with the tC motor.

eTiMaGo
02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
So.. Toyota... when will we see a 2.4L Yaris? :bellyroll: :eyebulge: :bow: :drinking: :headbang:

evilreign
02-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Wow, I really like it.

Black Yaris
02-09-2007, 01:57 AM
So.. Toyota... when will we see a 2.4L Yaris? :bellyroll: :eyebulge: :bow: :drinking: :headbang:

I 2nd that:clap: :thumbup: :headbang: :bow:

mutatio
02-09-2007, 02:26 AM
i can see how there would be a clear segmentation for a 5 door Yaris LB in the US now! :D

Black Yaris
02-09-2007, 04:20 AM
I bet these are being built on the same platform at the Auris

Treyz
02-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I bet these are being built on the same platform at the Auris
I dunno about the xB but the xD is Yaris/Vitz based.

magoo_lc1
02-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I like the original box better. Maybe this will be our future for motor swaps though.

foxtrot685
02-09-2007, 11:41 PM
im so glad i got my 1st and a half gen design...

twixt
02-10-2007, 04:50 AM
they are both ugly as shit, worse than the xb

elsteverino889
02-21-2007, 08:05 PM
They are both ugly and Iam upset about their engine upgrades...WTF is toyotas prob with giving us such crappy engines and upgrading theirs! RAAAWWW THIS ONLY MADE ME PISSED!

boris13
02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I think they're much improved, styling-wise, over the older xA and xB models. But the bigger engines will cause the fuel economy to drop, so I definitely wouldn't be interested in one of those.

Toyota just needs to introduce a Sport version of the 3-door Yaris liftback, with more options/accessories but the same thrifty engine. If they made such an animal, that would be my next Yaris in 2011 or so.

yrsdrgn
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
i like the japanese version of the new xb. and the xd um....a bit too big looking comapred to the xa. and engines...o man they better be dropping one of those in the 2008 yaris for US people haha

spkrman
02-22-2007, 02:59 PM
It looks alright in person, much better than in pics.

The rear isn't so bad in person... its still not really my style.