PDA

View Full Version : Gauge for Interest in JR Supercharger

redglare45
02-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Ok guys, in reading another post, I read about the Honda Fit Supercharger and decided to contact Jackson Racing. I got some feedback and asked if I could post the reply to see if the interest was there. Below is the reply and let's chime in guys and show the interest. They'll check in periodically and might help them determine, if they go ahead. So LET's BE HEARD GUYS!!! :thumbsup:

Luis,

We are looking at the Yaris as a potential kit. We have some engineering drawings finished, and are trying to decide if we should continue with the project. With the Honda Fit under our belt, we would love to supercharger the rest of the B-Segment, and I think Yaris is a good stepping stone.

We never said that we were not going to pursue the Yaris at PRI. It is still in the decision making process.
Problem is, YarisWorld's interest has seemed minimal up until this post. I will do some further evaluations.

Thank you for your e-mail, it has made me re-look my position on Yaris.

Thanks for your time and interest,

Oscar Jackson Jr.
Research & Development
Jackson Racing

Doc Zaius
02-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Very interesting...!! Hmmmm... I've been leaning towards a turbo application recently, but now... I'll have to go do some research! :biggrin:

BTW, pretty cool how our website has a pretty big influence on the development of Yaris aftermarket support! :thumbsup: And good for being proactive, redglare!

CASTREX
02-08-2007, 05:25 PM
How much $$$ is the JR supercharger for the Fit? I assume a Yaris option will be in the same range..

Also, what would be the pros and cons of this option against the already available SC's?

Go4th
02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I would seriously consider it. FACTORS: Automatic friendly, bolt on, complete kit.
I have AEM cai and megan header on right now.

cdydjded
02-08-2007, 05:46 PM
The Rotrex/Jackson Racing S/C is a very attacktive to a turbo. Some advantages are: that there is no need to tap into the oil pan for oil. The unit has a oil resovoir system & built in pump, no heat issues due to no manifold needed & very efficiant. I spoke to Oscar in legth @ PRI & he had mentioned that they had started to make a kit. The problem is the pulleys. Our cars have 3 grooves & a minimal of 5 grooves is needed. :smile:

Doc Zaius
02-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Not knowing anything about pulleys and belts, how difficult would it be to upgrade the pulleys and everything else required?

St_G
02-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Until the warranty is up, I'm not going to be looking for anything like this.

cdydjded
02-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Our Yaris only has 4 pulleys. The alternator, water pump & crank pulleys are simple. The problem is the A/C cause of the clutch. I am not saying it cant be done, but do not expect a kit for under 3K.

ChinoCharles
02-08-2007, 08:57 PM
The major concern is price. Period. I don't give a shit what anyone tells you... when warranties start running up there will be plenty of companies offering forced induction packages for the Yaris. Credit the fact that the same engine is in the Scions. If you already know 80% of what you're dealing with, I want to hear a good reason not to make a kit for the Yaris.

Jackson Racing is well known for providing reliable forced induction packages. Not known for making gobs of power, but I'll give up a few horsies for the ability to sleep at night any day of the week.

Oscar... do it man!

magoo_lc1
02-08-2007, 08:57 PM
If blitz can do O. J. surely can. I would buy his over the blitz and the blitz one im sure from there other products are quite pricey. Warranty or not i would pay up to about 2500-2800

PCMAN
02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
I would look at the install after the first year - # 1 is being reliable, #2 install issues (I'll have someone else do it anyways), and then #3 price.

spkrman
02-08-2007, 10:13 PM
all in the $ per HP ratio :)

cdydjded
02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Chino: there arent any good reasons not to make the kit. I had the kit 50% made. When I came across the pulley problem I stopped because I did not know how to solve it. Them I spoke to OJ & he told me that they were working on a kit. As this topic has been getting more attention I am considering trying again. The only solution I have right now is to make a seperate pulley that would go in front of the factory crank pulley & run a seperate belt. The only thing I do not like about that is the Rotrex would be mounted by the firewall which is no big deal. Again the issue is price, the kit will be hard to make for a retail price of less than 3K. The Rotrex alone cost arond $1500. :smile:

cdydjded
02-08-2007, 10:20 PM
spark: what is the optimun HP/$ ratio?

spkrman
02-08-2007, 10:31 PM
spark: what is the optimun HP/$ ratio?

speakerman :)

I'd like to see at least 60-70 to the wheels with the potential to run more, and i'd like to see a cost under 2500 :), retail or whatever works.

I'd say that would make it a very feasable alternative to the turbo's that will be available.

Perhaps I ask for alot, but thats my job as a consumer :)

cdydjded
02-08-2007, 10:40 PM
@ 70 HP that would be $35 per 1HP. There is only 1 item on the planet that does that, actually for less, N2O. A 50HP kit cost around $500. That would be $7 per 1HP @ 70 HP

spkrman
02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
well what is more feasable?

Thats a number I'd prefer to see, though :)

cdydjded
02-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Yes your right it is more feasable. Factor in the cost every time you fill the bottle. Trust me I am a N2O fan just that forced induction is the way to go on small engines.

ChinoCharles
02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Chino: there arent any good reasons not to make the kit. I had the kit 50% made. When I came across the pulley problem I stopped because I did not know how to solve it. Them I spoke to OJ & he told me that they were working on a kit. As this topic has been getting more attention I am considering trying again. The only solution I have right now is to make a seperate pulley that would go in front of the factory crank pulley & run a seperate belt. The only thing I do not like about that is the Rotrex would be mounted by the firewall which is no big deal. Again the issue is price, the kit will be hard to make for a retail price of less than 3K. The Rotrex alone cost arond $1500. :smile:

You need to get a hold of Mike at NST and tell him all of this. They will make custom pulleys for custom applications in the right situation and for the right price.

And about the whole hp/$ thing... come on now... :laugh:. If you want to go that route, you have to keep things in perspective. On a car with 90 WHP from the factory, 60-70 WHP is a 70% gain... an ENORMOUS gain at that. It isn't the same as bolting 60 HP on a Mustang.

Nimble
02-09-2007, 12:42 AM
You need to get a hold of Mike at NST and tell him all of this. They will make custom pulleys for custom applications in the right situation and for the right price.

And about the whole hp/$ thing... come on now... :laugh:. If you want to go that route, you have to keep things in perspective. On a car with 90 WHP from the factory, 60-70 WHP is a 70% gain... an ENORMOUS gain at that. It isn't the same as bolting 60 HP on a Mustang.

Yeah, I'd think that taking it from stock 90whp to about 130ish would be nice. From other JR kits, I'd expect about $3K.

redglare45
02-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Good feedback so far guys :thumbsup:

Lafiro
02-09-2007, 12:30 PM
I want my yaris to have no less then 300whp.

Yeah right... lol!!

But I'm very interested in everything that has to do with F.I. as of right now. And as the summer comes closer, I will be looking at what to buy myself.

Nutzoids
02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
The car starts off at 106HP... I'm not talking about at the wheels... but I could use 150HP... That is good enough for me... $2,500 would be great, I wouldn't even have to think about it... $3,000 would be my limit... I would have to continue to look around.

:evil:

CASTREX
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
150 hp @ $2500 sounds about right. :thumbup:

Less power or more money than that wouldn't be attractive for must of the Yari owners. Of course there's always people throwing big bucks on anything they drive. I'm just saying what I think it makes the most sense.

spkrman
02-09-2007, 08:09 PM
150 hp @ $2500 sounds about right. :thumbup:

Less power or more money than that wouldn't be attractive for must of the Yari owners. Of course there's always people throwing big bucks on anything they drive. I'm just saying what I think it makes the most sense.

yep, 150 wheel hp, though, with the capability to get more with a pulley swap, etc etc I'm really not sure exactly what you could do with this setup.

Nimble
02-09-2007, 10:41 PM
yep, 150 wheel hp, though, with the capability to get more with a pulley swap, etc etc I'm really not sure exactly what you could do with this setup.

Dude, there's no way to get 150whp out of this motor without internal work done. They said it above a few times, 150 CRANK hp is even a stretch.

The Honda Fit kit, takes it from the stock 95whp to 150whp, but with a hefty 10psi, which IMO is high for a s-chrgr, and will be a hot running car in the summer months. I'm not familiar with the Fit motor, but 10lbs of boost is a lot if the motor is built with weak components like our Yaris' are. Put 10lbs of boost on a stock Yaris motor, and you can kiss it goodbye in a matter of months probably.

Safely, I'd say 6-7lbs of boost, and 140-150 crank hp, or about 120-135whp. A good 50% gain.

spkrman
02-09-2007, 10:48 PM
check out the turbo kits from: http://www.zpiracing.net/

its without a shadow of a doubt possible...

the motor has been known to *reliably* handle a 50 shot, and those with the bawls to run 75 havent had problems, this on stock ecu/injectors/no tune etc.

Nimble
02-09-2007, 11:02 PM
check out the turbo kits from: http://www.zpiracing.net/

its without a shadow of a doubt possible...

the motor has been known to *reliably* handle a 50 shot, and those with the bawls to run 75 havent had problems, this on stock ecu/injectors/no tune etc.

Yeah, turbos are nice, but in no way, shape, or form would I try and push the enveloupe on a stock internal Yaris motor. What's the point, to make a high 17 second car a 16 flat car? Waste of time. I would, however, spend $2500 total for 60 reliable hp to make the car more fun to drive. :headbang:

magoo_lc1
02-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Same here. In the new siphon mag out they got around 155 hp and 148 tq if i remember correctly. If i know blitz though the kit is probaly 5g. I bet me and my buddies can make a turbo kit for these cars for barely a grand if they make injectors and a good fuel rail for it. Hell we have a geo metro convertible that runs 12s. If you want ill post up pics of it.

spkrman
02-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Same here. In the new siphon mag out they got around 155 hp and 148 tq if i remember correctly. If i know blitz though the kit is probaly 5g. I bet me and my buddies can make a turbo kit for these cars for barely a grand if they make injectors and a good fuel rail for it. Hell we have a geo metro convertible that runs 12s. If you want ill post up pics of it.

post it in off topic and link to it here :)

LVAquaman
02-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Spkrman,
I for one would like to see the pics of a 12 sec metro.

dansides
02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
blitz now has a turbo for yaris seen in auto mag other day 3800.00 may be old news .

Nutzoids
02-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but 1PSI of boost = 10HP

So with a 5PSI waist gate we are looking at 50HP

Our engines, from what I have read and asked around can handle 7PSI without internal Modification.

At 6.5PSI it will need a new Lightweight Flywheel

But with 4-5PSI we don’t even need an Intercooler, As long as we position the Turbo correctly!

:evil:

cali yaris
07-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Jackson Racing didn't reply to multiple emails -- I guess they are not interested? :sad:

sdmf
07-16-2007, 12:31 AM
underdog racing maybe?

Nigal
07-16-2007, 05:48 AM
I found the prices on a Honda forum...

"$3500 for 5lbs and $4995 for 10lbs."

So basically I'd have the same interest in this as would Pamela Anderson. Desired from afar and knowing I'll never get a crack at hittin' it.

rpalai
09-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi Doc Z! How are you doing? I just saw this passge from you on the forum and wanted o say hello! I love th deflector and the car itself!

I ALSO LOVE the Blitz system I had installed in my Yaris (2008 No. Ameican 2-Dr liftback 5-speed) like 9 months ago. It performs great and still allOws me to get good fuel econOmy at the same time. But the other day, I had an incidence of bad audible detonation at high throttle position I had to use to pass another slower vehicle. I never had that bEfore, But I also never mashed the throttle like I had to like that before either. I realize that a bad tank of Premium fuel could cause that, but not likely as I always use Chevron High Test and have never had a problem in any of my other vehicles. Have you ever heard of this happening, or had it yourself? DO you know of any fixes, etc to prevent this from happeneing again? I am very concerned as I do not want to have to replace my motor at any time. Still, I want to be able to use higher throttle whenever it is necessary without having this Detonation occur. Please let me know, as I'd really appreciate anything at all you can tell me about this issue. Thanks!
Rich
rpalai

Very interesting...!! Hmmmm... I've been leaning towards a turbo application recently, but now... I'll have to go do some research! :biggrin:

BTW, pretty cool how our website has a pretty big influence on the development of Yaris aftermarket support! :thumbsup: And good for being proactive, redglare!