PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions on features and order time

A1an
01-24-2012, 12:45 PM
My wife has finally decided her next car will be a 2012 Yaris SE in Blazing Blue Pearl with a manual transmission. We have been getting the run around with about four local dealers and I am hoping to get some straight answers here.

This car does not exist in the southeast or anywhere in the US so we need it built. We get a timeframe anywhere from 6-8 weeks, 8-12 weeks, or 6-8 months. Excuses range from the tsunami, demand for the manual is higher in Japan, Toyota may not let us order this car, etc. All of these are, I believe, some sort of strategy to try to steer us into another vehicle. Toyota corporate was also of no help as they just dumped us back to the dealer for the answer.

For those who have had one built to spec about how long did it take to come in?

As far as options go, my wife believes automatic locking doors are important (our '07 Rabbit will autolock when the car gets rolling at about 5mph). The Yaris doesn't seem to have this feature. One of the salesmen stated he spoke with a tech who advised they could program the locks to engage once the car moves. Is this true?

CanIHazYarisHatch?
01-24-2012, 04:10 PM
In short: the dealers are lying to you. About everything you posted.

I had to put $500 cash down, and I got the model, color, trim level, and lack of "upgrades" that I wanted for my car.

They just want you to get frustrated and buy what's already on their lot. What is on their lot they pay taxes on each month, losing them money.

Think of it this way: a new car on a dealer's lot is like a fire. They want to put as many of these out as possible (sell them), not add (order) more fires (cars) to their problem (a full lot), because many customers order their car and walk away, leaving the dealer holding the bag.

Tell them you are putting cash down with the first Toyota dealer that will work with you. Then, and only then, will these guys start moving.

I was ignored with a 773 FICO score until I pulled out a bank envelope with a few thousand in it for my stripped '12 L hatch w/5-speed. I put down cash, and my car "appeared" in one day off of a truck.

Money talks...and you know the rest.

IllQueens
01-24-2012, 11:04 PM
I got the same run around when I went to speak with a local Toyota dealer. The salesman did say put a down and they can order me the car but it will have to be full MSRP 16,400 plus 180 for floor mats, destination 760, plus tax and tags...out the door price around 19,000 plus wait...go to edmunds and research if any dealers have posted their inventory...

I believe if you are willing to pay for a demand and they are not willing to supply then go else where...

A1an
01-25-2012, 10:06 AM
We are getting a great deal on the car through the AMEX car purchasing program (under invoice). What we need to find out now is how long it will take to get the car to the dealer when we custom order it. The new dealer we are working with now is trying to find a better answer for us.

My reason for posting up was hoping there were a few people here who had to order their Yaris who could tell me how long the process took. Years ago a friend of mine ordered a Camry and I think it only took about 7-8 weeks to get here from Japan, but I'm not sure if that would be about the same time frame for this Yaris. What is frustrating is a phone call to Toyota couldn't even give us an answer.

ilikerice
01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
I know this is not the same manufacturer. A friend totaled his 04 Subie WRX and ordered the same options he had then for a 2012. It was built in japan and sent to the dealer. It took 7 weeks give or take a few days before it got to the dealership

A1an
01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
We finally got a straight answer. SE Toyota bulk orders every 90 days. So up to 90 days to get the order in then another 30 days for it to be built and shipped to the states. Not terrible.

Still trying to get an answer on the auto lock once the car starts moving though. Need to find a Toyota tech to talk to.

SineWave
01-26-2012, 05:45 PM
You just reminded me about the auto lock/anti hijack feature. It was active in the automatic YRS model we test drove, but it's not enabled on our manual ZR model. I'll ask the dealer when it goes in for a service next week.

A1an
01-28-2012, 03:05 PM
You just reminded me about the auto lock/anti hijack feature. It was active in the automatic YRS model we test drove, but it's not enabled on our manual ZR model. I'll ask the dealer when it goes in for a service next week.

Please post up if they can give you an answer.

Today we put the deposit down and ordered her SE 5-speed in blazing blue pearl. Hopefully she will have it by May. :)

SineWave
01-29-2012, 02:54 AM
No worries, goes in on tuesday :)

A1an
02-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Was your dealer able to help you out with the auto lock function?

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
02-21-2012, 01:49 PM
AUTOLOCK is not a factory option BUT could be installed from the aftermarket......

A1an
02-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Bummer. Wife is going to have to learn how to press the lock button again. lol

SineWave
02-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Was your dealer able to help you out with the auto lock function?

They didn't know, say they'd get back to me, no word yet. :/
Will go bug them next week.

why?
02-25-2012, 09:49 AM
We finally got a straight answer. SE Toyota bulk orders every 90 days. So up to 90 days to get the order in then another 30 days for it to be built and shipped to the states. Not terrible.

Still trying to get an answer on the auto lock once the car starts moving though. Need to find a Toyota tech to talk to.

wow, you got a straight answer from them is a miracle. They hate saying anything because most of the time they just don't know. SE Toyota is owned by someone non Toyota so they are always a little different.