PDA

View Full Version : aem or trd intake

tekmoe
02-11-2007, 02:43 PM
what are the advantages/disadvantages? as far as i can tell, both of these intakes are exactly the same except for the price. aem is almost $100 cheaper.

i'd like to buy either intake to accommodate my trd exhaust...just trying to figure out which one i should get.

thanks in advance.

bigsky2
02-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Can't go wrong with either one!

Personally I feel the bypass valve is not necessary for the Yaris intake, becase the filter is in an area that is well protected from excessive water or moisture entry.

It will not become completely immersed in water if you are driving through light/heavy rain. You really have to push the car through a 3 foot high body of water before the filter is affected.

My 2 cents.

ChinoCharles
02-11-2007, 04:22 PM
About a month ago I hit one hell of a puddle in my area. It wasn't really that big, but in a lowered Yaris it felt like I was driving through the red sea. This basically scared me into wanting that bypass valve.

nester
02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
We recommend the Fujita intake. You know they love the yaris when they could pick one car to be in their booth at SEMA, and it was a Yaris.

sf180th
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I installed the Fujita intake this past week, cant say enough good things about it.

cdydjded
02-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I have the AEM & it improved the car significantly.

FlintArrow
02-11-2007, 06:12 PM
AEM's bypass valve is a debate in itself.

Most performance enthusiasts arent a big fan due to lack of flow and I have heard some functionallity problems alike.

TRD is a great name to have on your vehicle but as noted before: its the same as the AEM. If it was me and I had to have the TRD I wouldnt install the bypass valve and would just stay away from river crossings.

If you dont submerge it you wont hydrolock your engine. It takes quite a bit of work to do this for most public roads and often times you can probably make the state pay for the engine.

Otherwise the AEM CAI is a great choice or perhaps the Weapon R short-ram if you dont want to risk it.

The HUGE advantage that AEM has over everyone for the Yaris is its Dryflow filter. Oil and MAF sensors do not get along and most K&N style filters or foam oiled units will eventually require a MAF cleaning.

The AEM Dryflow only comes with the AEM intake...the TRD intake comes with their older oiled (red/pink color) variant.

Lafiro
02-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I have a question that I could never get an answer to since I actually never even asked...

I want to get a S/C or a turbo in the future.

Does getting a CAI affect this? Or will the S/C or Turbo take care fo the intake so the use of an aftermarket one is not needed?

cdydjded
02-11-2007, 09:16 PM
When you have a turbo or S/C you cannot use a CAI like a AEM or TRD

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
02-12-2007, 06:44 AM
probably gonna go with the trd since i get a awesome deal on the parts. but we work with fujita intakes for our scions so its a toss up right now.....

Doc Zaius
02-12-2007, 11:22 AM
When you have a turbo or S/C you cannot use a CAI like a AEM or TRD

Why not?!

Nimble
02-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Why not?!

Because the inlet for the throttle body will be moved with a supercharger and the intake no longer goes to the same area with a turbo. It goes to the inlet of the turbo.

tekmoe
02-12-2007, 01:14 PM
i went ahead and ordered the TRD intake just because i already have the TRD exhaust, struts, springs, and quickshifter. i figured i might as well make everything match.

label me the TRD wh0re whydontcha? :tongue:

Doc Zaius
02-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Because the inlet for the throttle body will be moved with a supercharger and the intake no longer goes to the same area with a turbo. It goes to the inlet of the turbo.

Makes sense... thanks.

bigsky2
02-12-2007, 02:18 PM
i went ahead and ordered the TRD intake just because i already have the TRD exhaust, struts, springs, and quickshifter. i figured i might as well make everything match.

You must be the American cousin of echo_hrs :laugh:

He's also a TRD Purist :thumbup:

Nimble
02-12-2007, 02:20 PM

Not a bad move. :clap:

tekmoe
02-12-2007, 06:11 PM
You must be the American cousin of echo_hrs :laugh:

He's also a TRD Purist :thumbup:

hehe.

what can i say...they make everything i want... :redface:

FlintArrow
02-13-2007, 12:40 AM
I have a question that I could never get an answer to since I actually never even asked...

I want to get a S/C or a turbo in the future.

Does getting a CAI affect this? Or will the S/C or Turbo take care fo the intake so the use of an aftermarket one is not needed?

It depends.

Any SC or turbo kit will change the mounting point of the intake system. However, you can still modifiy it to work with the existing unit.

We have a AEM short ram intake on my Dad's 2002 SVT Focus (jackson supercharged). We just had to take a chop saw to the end and snug up the silicone coupler a bit higher. Still, its a nice intake tube with a maf sensor fitting and a non-oiled filter...TONS better than a cruddy plastic black box.

If you might go down the forced induction road dont worry about a $150-250 loss...you will spend thousands on the kit and installation/tuning. If you want to ebay the used unit or throw it away it wont exactly be your largest expense.

Good Luck. I would just get the CAI or short ram and enjoy the extra noise until you pull the trigger on on the F.I. Kit.

Yar
02-19-2007, 04:38 PM
I have a quick question.

I live in Canada, and have looked into installing a CAI into my yaris. I heard that ordering a TRD CAI through my dealer is just gonna cost me an arm and leg, because of duty charges, etc.

What i'm wondering is, can i buy a TRD CAI from a 3rd party vendor, and have my dealership install it, and still be under warranty?

Thanks

-Bill

JDM_EK3
02-19-2007, 06:44 PM
What i'm wondering is, can i buy a TRD CAI from a 3rd party vendor, and have my dealership install it, and still be under warranty?

Ditto.... and if so where can I go through to obtain the TRD CAI?

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
02-19-2007, 07:15 PM
i ordered the trd intake today along with the sway bar and some other things.also i got my trd exhaust today.....

esquiva
02-20-2007, 12:04 PM
trdsparks (http://www.trdsparks.com)