PDA

View Full Version : looking to pick up a yaris. Performance questions.

wlfpck
02-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I've only owned an accord and a solara. The accord was a 91 with h23 head swap and bored out throttle body. Along with 272 cams done by delta. The solara, I gave to my parents.

I'm looking to pick up a yaris but i'm confused about some stuff.

The yaris has the same engine as the xa and the xb. But is this like the Tc and the camary/solara. Because in order to adapt things from the tc over to the camary/solara, modifications were needed even though they used the same engine.

Is there a difference between the liftback and the sedan? I don't think i would get the s sedan so the choice is between the liftback and the sedan. I would be getting a manual tranny but is there any difference in engine layouts or aftermarket things?

And last question. How much is insurance for these cars? Not to high because they are econo cars right?

Thanks,

Jerry

Kaotic Lazagna
02-11-2007, 03:26 PM
i'm not quite too sure about the "parts" aspect of your question, but i think some parts from an xA/xB will have to be modified in order to fit a Yaris. and i think some parts will only fit a m/t Yaris, like the Fujita CAI.

as far as insurance, my insurance on my brand new Yaris is lower than what it was when i had a '97 GTI.

ChinoCharles
02-11-2007, 03:38 PM
The yaris has the same engine as the xa and the xb. But is this like the Tc and the camary/solara. Because in order to adapt things from the tc over to the camary/solara, modifications were needed even though they used the same engine.

Thee haven't been many parts (if any) that bolted directly from the xA/xB to the Yaris. Some of the engine specific stuff obviously does... that 1NZ-FE ITB kit for instance.

There is a member with an xB supercharger retrofit... username Tereyume, if you're interested.

Is there a difference between the liftback and the sedan? I don't think i would get the s sedan so the choice is between the liftback and the sedan. I would be getting a manual tranny but is there any difference in engine layouts or aftermarket things?

Most everything I've seen thus far fit both cars. The only thing is that the bodies are different. This includes headlights, tail lights and hood. For example, sedan owners can't buy those sexy JDM tail lights. The aftermarket doesn't really lean either way, but the JDM market is all liftback.

And last question. How much is insurance for these cars? Not to high because they are econo cars right?

Its pretty low. It would be lower if it did better in crash tests, but it still isn't bad.

FlintArrow
02-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I've only owned an accord and a solara. The accord was a 91 with h23 head swap and bored out throttle body. Along with 272 cams done by delta. The solara, I gave to my parents.

I'm looking to pick up a yaris but i'm confused about some stuff.

Thanks,

Jerry

Most engine parts should swap over w/o a problem. Items requiring plumbing space or that have a relationship to the ECU (ex: piggyback computers, header, intakes) will have to either be Yaris specific or modified to fit. A Perrin L/W crank pulley will fit no problem.

Suspension, engine components, and most of the other chassis parts will swap between the LB and Sedan with no problems. Other items mentioned such as hoods, headlights, tail lights, and other parts that are obviously different shapes will not fit. Chassis are similar in weight but vary depending on options (power options, abs, S.C. airbags, trans choice, etc).

Most insurance companies will love to see you in a Yaris (pref with side curtain airbags) but depending on your driving record, age, and current vehicle the premiums can change. A car worth $3k vs a $17k loaded yaris is a big deal to an insurance company. Plus full cov vs just liability will affect ratings.

wlfpck
02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
ok cool. because right now the decision i'm trying to make is whether or not I should pick up a scion.

because the xa/xb both have some nice aftermarket support. The xb has a bit more. But the xa imo is the yaris liftback but with a nice 4 doors. Of course there has to be thought given to new scions like the xd and xc. It doesn't use the yaris engine anymore.... but it does look nice. lol.

I will be getting a m/t yaris. My 91 accord underwent a m/t swap. I'm pretty sure i won't like having another slushbox.

spkrman
02-11-2007, 11:44 PM
The new scions are kewl if thats a direction you want to head. The yaris is nice and light, and "JDM" if your into that sort of thing. It has a proven "track" record, and the aftermarket will definitely be here, as its grown leaps and bounds recently... not to mention loads of JDM stuff available if you pay for it.

2 different cars really, just go with what works for you.

IMO at least, the baseline yaris with m/t is a great deal, but you may want more luxories.

FlintArrow
02-13-2007, 12:35 AM
The xA and Yaris Sedan are basically the same car (one can argue that the chassis between the xB, xA, and Yaris LB/Sedan are all basically the same).

I have heard that the scions have a little more aggressive gearing but that wont break the deal. 106 hp is only going to move weight so fast no matter how long the gears last.

Ultimately your looking at a 2300-2400 chassis with a 1.5L and nearly identical aftermarket support.

If your a complete fan of the 1nz-fe engine/underdog community then find a base Echo with NO options...i hear those tip the scales at like 1900-2100 pounds.

Thats the fun thing about Toyota's line of econo cars: they are all pretty much the same and the end buyer can pick the style he/she likes the most.

If end-all performance is a must they really wont cut it but great mileage and low maintenance costs are supreme.

wlfpck
02-21-2007, 12:59 AM
idk.... if you got the yaris up to a nice 200 whp that thing could fly. lol