PDA

View Full Version : Who here has installed HID lighting in your 2012?

CPALK719
02-23-2012, 09:25 AM
i been continplating on installing some HIDS in my yaris very soon, the only problem is i dont know what size bulb we use. yes i can go and pop the hood and check it out, but im too damn lazy lol

who else here has installed hids in their 2012 model ? if you did please post up some pics !!! :thumbup:

CPALK719
02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
you mean to tell me no one has installed HIDS into their 2012 model yet ??? wow lol

caineroad
02-24-2012, 04:25 PM
h4, lazy ass

12 yaris
02-24-2012, 05:39 PM
I didn't think any one needed too.

CPALK719
02-25-2012, 10:34 AM
I didn't think any one needed too.

yaris doesnt come with HIDS, why wouldn't someone want to ?

DJYojimbo
02-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Ask Vrwm he even shows how to remove the bumper on a 2012 yaris se http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37278

CPALK719
02-25-2012, 12:19 PM
i dont think removing the front bumper is necessary for a bulb change. im just trying to confirm the bulb size before i order a set of HIDS i just read via a toyota PDF that the correct size is 9003.... i just was told for a second time that we just H4 size bulbs... im a tad confused here now...

can anyone who has actually changed out their lights to HIDS chime in to confirm the actual bulb size?

Scubaru Steve
02-25-2012, 01:00 PM
the stock headlights are fine. hids are lame and for blinding oncoming traffic. do it properly and do a projector retrofit.
either yourself or get someone to do it for you, pm thebarber he has kits and can do it for you.

CPALK719
02-25-2012, 07:05 PM
the stock headlights are fine. hids are lame and for blinding oncoming traffic. do it properly and do a projector retrofit.
either yourself or get someone to do it for you, pm thebarber he has kits and can do it for you.

im going to do a projecter retrofit on a car thats 3 weeks old????and theres barely any aftermarket support on this let alone anyone who actual has done anything to the new model? naw bro....
HIDS are not only for looks but also better visibility while driving. im not one of those people who put the ridiculous looking purple or blueish color ones on either. im one for more of an OEM looking white colored ones.

skuzzlebutt5
02-26-2012, 02:08 PM
5000k? thinking about doing that too or something less like 4300k. It's a simple plug and play which I can do. I'm not so sure about taking my whole headlight assembly apart and sending it away... I still need it to drive!

CPALK719
02-26-2012, 02:10 PM
5000k? thinking about doing that too or something less like 4300k. It's a simple plug and play which I can do. I'm not so sure about taking my whole headlight assembly apart and sending it away... I still need it to drive!

same here, 4300 K i believe is actually yellowish more for fogs.

caineroad
02-27-2012, 12:06 AM
same here, 4300 K i believe is actually yellowish more for fogs.

4300k is pure white, best visibility, no yellow tint whatsoever
5000k whiter, slight blue tint
6000k white to blue.

3000k are for fogs, pure yellow.
H4 = 9003 = same size

EPyarisdriver
02-27-2012, 12:36 AM
I run with 6000k and their perfect because I dont like the blue to purpleish look.. Only with a tint of blue.
and you might have to remove the bumper a little to get to the screw to pull out the headlight unit unless your hands can fit behind the bulb but its much easier and less painful if you just remove the headlight. Thats what I had to do

skuzzlebutt5
02-27-2012, 01:55 AM
I run with 6000k and their perfect because I dont like the blue to purpleish look.. Only with a tint of blue.
and you might have to remove the bumper a little to get to the screw to pull out the headlight unit unless your hands can fit behind the bulb but its much easier and less painful if you just remove the headlight. Thats what I had to do

Nice, just ordered mine. I have small girly hands... so I won't need to take off the bumper. It's what God gave me. Don't hate.

JayGee
02-27-2012, 05:34 AM
do it properly and do a projector retrofit.

Are there any photos of a gen3 with these on here?

EPyarisdriver
02-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Nice, just ordered mine. I have small girly hands... so I won't need to take off the bumper. It's what God gave me. Don't hate.
Ha thats what i thought too (Im 18 and only 5'6") My hands are small but still couldnt get back there just because of the spring that held the bulb in the housing. But good luck youll love em!!:thumbup:

thebarber
02-27-2012, 09:23 AM
4300k is an oem looking setup, white with a hint of yellow
5000k is pure white
6000k is white with a bit of blue

i sell HID's, i know the colours...

i only run 4300k and 5000k in my cars...with 3000k (yellow) fogs

i also do projector conversions (and/or sell the kits)

Scubaru Steve
02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
im going to do a projecter retrofit on a car thats 3 weeks old????and theres barely any aftermarket support on this let alone anyone who actual has done anything to the new model? naw bro....
HIDS are not only for looks but also better visibility while driving. im not one of those people who put the ridiculous looking purple or blueish color ones on either. im one for more of an OEM looking white colored ones.

the funny thing is, the whiter you go the brighter they are. another lost cause.

CPALK719
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
the funny thing is, the whiter you go the brighter they are. another lost cause.

brighter the better more visibility... we have some very dark areas in south florida, and i feel with better lighting there is no reason any accidents to occur.

as for everyone thanks for replying.. thats what i wanted to see. i went ahead and ordered with DDMtuning. this is my probably 3rd set i've purchased with them. prices arent ridiculous like some people charge for HIDS, and i got the size i needed H4 with a 55 watt slim ballast. cant wait to get them :thumbup:

thebarber
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
all kits are teh same output (when the same wattage), its the colour of the light that makes them appear brighter/dimmer

i always tell my customers to aim their headlights down a bit after installing the HID's since all the scattered light will be 3-5 time brighter than it was before...

vten
02-27-2012, 10:35 AM
I believe the 4300K is actualy the brightest... but color may varies between brands.

CPALK719
02-27-2012, 12:03 PM
all kits are teh same output (when the same wattage), its the colour of the light that makes them appear brighter/dimmer

i always tell my customers to aim their headlights down a bit after installing the HID's since all the scattered light will be 3-5 time brighter than it was before...

while reading the sites info on the 55 watt ballast, it says because of the higher wattage, it would make a say 8k kit look at about 6k, so i put that into consideration.

A1an
02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
HID in a halogen housing is a waste of money and a safety hazzard to others due to the glare. Do it right with a projector lense retrofit or don't do it at all.

CPALK719
02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
HID in a halogen housing is a waste of money and a safety hazzard to others due to the glare. Do it right with a projector lense retrofit or don't do it at all.

once again, who's going to open up their brand new 2012 vehicles headlights to do a retrofit ??? and im sure the guy with his older truck/suv with his 22 inch wheels, and purplish color HIDS really cares about my well being and him blinding me from the back... :rolleyes:

A1an
02-28-2012, 08:48 AM
once again, who's going to open up their brand new 2012 vehicles headlights to do a retrofit ??? and im sure the guy with his older truck/suv with his 22 inch wheels, and purplish color HIDS really cares about my well being and him blinding me from the back... :rolleyes:

So your justification for doing an incorrect installation and blinding others is by stating someone else does it, so why not you too? :iono:

It may look cooler to some but it isn't going to make you see any better. HID lights require a different housing than a halogen bulb to produce a useful beam on the road. This morning I was just beside an Altima with the typical cheap HID install (HID kit in the standard halogen housings). My 89 Jetta with the stock headlamps threw out a better beam on the road than that crap setup in the Altima.

Opening up headlights is very easy. If you take your time the retrofit is somewhat easy as well. In fact, the newer the car is the easier it is to separate the housing since the sealant is still fresh and super pliable. I've done this many times on brand new cars and old cars...it is much easier on a new car.

A1an
02-28-2012, 09:55 AM
www.hidplanet.com
www.theretrofitsource.com

Read, learn, win.

CPALK719
02-28-2012, 10:19 AM
So your justification for doing an incorrect installation and blinding others is by stating someone else does it, so why not you too? :iono:

It may look cooler to some but it isn't going to make you see any better. HID lights require a different housing than a halogen bulb to produce a useful beam on the road. This morning I was just beside an Altima with the typical cheap HID install (HID kit in the standard halogen housings). My 89 Jetta with the stock headlamps threw out a better beam on the road than that crap setup in the Altima.

Opening up headlights is very easy. If you take your time the retrofit is somewhat easy as well. In fact, the newer the car is the easier it is to separate the housing since the sealant is still fresh and super pliable. I've done this many times on brand new cars and old cars...it is much easier on a new car.

oh i understand the light output is different from a car that has projector headlamps, my evo has projecter lenses i know the diference. there could be a possibility when someone crashes their 2012 and i can buy a used set of headlamps to play with then i might be all for it. at this point no... i appreciate your time and effort, once again i can't justify doing this to my car thats only 3 going on 4 weeks old.

Now that i think about it, i dont believe i seen anyone with a 2012 model to a retrofit and install projector lenses in their car as of yet.

A1an
02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
I leave you with this:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

All we ask is that you do not join the droves of lazy ill informed folks out there putting HID bulbs in their halogen housings in the name of being cool. This is not only a hazzard but a complete waste of money since the useable light you will get will be no better than the halogen bulb you yanked.

CPALK719
02-28-2012, 02:47 PM
I leave you with this:

All we ask is that you do not join the droves of lazy ill informed folks out there putting HID bulbs in their halogen housings in the name of being cool. This is not only a hazzard but a complete waste of money since the useable light you will get will be no better than the halogen bulb you yanked.

thank you sir and god bless !!! i keep that in mind :w00t:

02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
I leave you with this:

I disagree with this slightly.

The light output is absolutely different and considerably brighter. Now if you go up to like 10k or something stupid like that than yes the glare is gonna be insane and youll be able to see like 5 feet in front of you.

skuzzlebutt5
02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
So what would be a good non reflective output?

A1an
02-28-2012, 03:57 PM
I disagree with this slightly.

The light output is absolutely different and considerably brighter. Now if you go up to like 10k or something stupid like that than yes the glare is gonna be insane and youll be able to see like 5 feet in front of you.

The point isn't the light output itself but how the output is being focused via the appropriate lense. I have 20/20 vision but if I decide to wear glasses from someone who is nearly blind I'm obviously going to have issues seeing. Same theory applies here. If I have a fictional bulb that can produce the power of 50 suns but I don't have the correct equipment to focus the light correctly...then what is the point?

CPALK719
02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
The point isn't the light output itself but how the output is being focused via the appropriate lense. I have 20/20 vision but if I decide to wear glasses from someone who is nearly blind I'm obviously going to have issues seeing. Same theory applies here. If I have a fictional bulb that can produce the power of 50 suns but I don't have the correct equipment to focus the light correctly...then what is the point?

to be honest bro... i see what your trying to say, but honestly i wont waste money doing this due to the fact that light output is damn near the same. only a perfectionist wants something thats magnified 100 times more. i have a set of HIDS installed to a set of headlights in my honda del sol without projector lenses i get perfectly fine light output.

Question to you Alan.... do you have projector headlamps in your yaris? do you even own a 2012 yaris or are you one of the guys on here with an older gen, just floating around the forums wanting to put your 2 cents into this ??? once again don' take any offense im just curious. If i had an 06-11 yaris i would gladly pop the bumper off and remove and retrofit the headlights with projector lenses, and paint the backhousings black but i dont. i have a 2012 model and i honestly dont plan on ripping my new car apart anytime soon.

skuzzlebutt5
02-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Just quickly...

What's the difference in getting lower output HIDs like 5000k and 6000k compared to those regular halogen headlights that have higher output like Sylvania Zxe or Silver Star which are 4300k and 4100k?

Those higher output halogen headlights, as my research has concluded, has a very low life expectancy. They also cost a good chunk of change as well.

IMO I think that getting lower output HIDs would be more financially sound. Of course I'm going to install it and aim her down but I don't see the point in spending $59.99 for some Zxe and having to replace them every 4-6 months.

CPALK719
02-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Just quickly...

What's the difference in getting lower output HIDs like 5000k and 6000k compared to those regular halogen headlights that have higher output like Sylvania Zxe or Silver Star which are 4300k and 4100k?

Those higher output halogen headlights, as my research has concluded, has a very low life expectancy. They also cost a good chunk of change as well.

IMO I think that getting lower output HIDs would be more financially sound. Of course I'm going to install it and aim her down but I don't see the point in spending $59.99 for some Zxe and having to replace them every 4-6 months.

im sure someone's going to try and give you a intellectual and good sounding answer to that question :rolleyes:, in my experience and opinion, the regular halogens that try to imitate an HID set, cost a good penny yet don't last as long as HIDS. when buying HIDS they not only look better on a car, but you get better visibility as well as a better longevity. once again thats only coming from someone who has had OEM HIDS and aftermarket set ups in about the last 3 cars i've owned. mind you i still own 2 of the cars that i put HIDS in the past year or so.

Only reason i changed out the set of HIDS i had in my evo, is one of bulbs went out, because they were a cheapy brand kit. other then that if you purchase new set from a reputable HID dealer , you could get quite a few years in with one set.

skuzzlebutt5
03-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Here you go. No HID housing... until they become available. Picture taken with iPhone 4 5MP camera from about 10-12 meters out at about chest level (5').

BEFORE:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/skuzzlebutt5/image-1.jpg

AFTER:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/skuzzlebutt5/image.jpg

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/skuzzlebutt5/photo-1.jpg

WIRING:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/skuzzlebutt5/photo-1-1.jpg

Not really any brighter but just a different color, 6000k. There's not much glare either. IMO they're about the same.

Thanks.

CPALK719
03-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Here you go. No HID housing... until they become available. Picture taken with iPhone 4 5MP camera from about 10-12 meters out at about chest level (5').

BEFORE:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/skuzzlebutt5/image-1.jpg

AFTER:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/skuzzlebutt5/image.jpg

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/skuzzlebutt5/photo-1.jpg

WIRING:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/skuzzlebutt5/photo-1-1.jpg

Not really any brighter but just a different color, 6000k. There's not much glare either. IMO they're about the same.

Thanks.

looks good to me brotha !! you dont have "projectors" in a godly voice lol ??

skuzzlebutt5
03-11-2012, 07:30 PM
6000k for me has a little more blue then what i would have liked...

CPALK719
03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
i just installed mine today. 55 watt ballast with 8k bulbs, but due to the ballast being 55 watt instead of the 35 watt, the color will be less blue and more of an oem white color. i'll try and throw some pics up when i get a chance.

Scubaru Steve
03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
50w ballasts are stupid in halogen housings. look at all that glare even with the 35's....

SAV912
03-15-2012, 01:27 AM
is everything that comes out of your mouth negative???? i have got nothing but compliments about them from alot of people i know. its ashame the yaris aficionados dont like it.....

you know if everyone who mods their cars did the same thing, then what would there be to talk about on a forum?? not only that everyone's car would look exactly the same.:thumbdown:

No. What's a shame is somebody who does a halfass job. And then gets pissy when other people point this out to him. :bs:

Be that as it may, you have fun throwing your 50W light everywhere BUT directly in front of you, and I'll continue motoring along with my 35W HID projectors that I can guarantee throw more light than yours. Lumens =/= visibility.

-C

skuzzlebutt5
03-15-2012, 11:01 AM
it just goes back to what cpalk719 was saying... our '12 models are brand new, less then month of ownership and less then 700 miles on em (for me at least)...

do i want to open up the headlight housing and install projectors in it? yes. would i? no.

@ SAV912 - there's plenty of information on how to do that with the second generation yaris but not so much so with the third. if you can provide us with detailed information with pictures and diagrams of how to this with the 3rd gen, please do.

again, i'd like to point out that i was using my iPhone 4 to take those pictures, it's not the best quality camera in low lighting. maybe i should have used the dslr. i'll try again and re-post with better pictures. it looks like the first gen prius hid.

btw - no one has high beamed/honked/dirty bird/arms-in-the-air at me for my lights. the CHP hasn't pulled me over nor has SJPD or SCCSO.

Kioshi
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
@ skuzzlebutt5 - at the meet I'll show you what I did and you can see how my HIDs shine and go forth from there if you want to do the small mod or not :)

skuzzlebutt5
03-15-2012, 12:28 PM
@ kioshi - any help would be awesome. thanks! :drool:

@ all - honestly, people are gonna do what they're gonna do - it is what it is.

SAV912
03-15-2012, 02:52 PM
@ SAV912 - there's plenty of information on how to do that with the second generation yaris but not so much so with the third. if you can provide us with detailed information with pictures and diagrams of how to this with the 3rd gen, please do.

A friend of mine up in South Carolina has a '12 base model that he plans on doing up for SCCA and autoX racing. No power anything, basic. We actually had the front end off a few weeks ago to do coilovers (which BTW, haven't changed from 2nd gens) and I took a few mins to look at the lights. The process used to retrofit projectors for the 2nd gen would work just fine for the 3rd gen cars. There's actually less to paint and less pieces overall (there isn't that protective shield over the turn signals anymore)and the headlight isn't as deep, so we will be retrofitting his car after he gets his handling modifications down pat.

@Kioshi - ^ THAT'S what I've provided to 3rd gen owners. They just have to wait I guess, until their cars mature enough to the point they feel okay taking the headlights apart. But you know, keep on funding Publix. :smile:

@CPalk - U mad bro? Somebody 'shit' on your thread like you've done to countless others here? I don't give two fucks what you think of my car. It's not a stock '12 so it's already got a head start on yours. :wink:

-C [/thread]

skuzzlebutt5
03-15-2012, 04:24 PM
... so we will be retrofitting his car after he gets his handling modifications down pat.
:w00t:

@ SAV912 - When doing so, please take HD pictures and instructions on each step. :thanks:

eTiMaGo
03-16-2012, 11:07 AM
wusses... My car barely lasted 2 hours before irreversible modding began :D

Scubaru Steve
03-16-2012, 02:32 PM
retrofitting is really really easy in these cars. if anyone needs info feel free to pm. all you need is a retrofit kit, Dremel, 3m windshield sealant, small peice of wood and an oven.
I also do a ton of nighttime driving and much of that is in snow, i once had hids in halogen housing and the amount of glare that reflected back from falling snow was terrible and i threw the kit out the day after. I'm waiting for the yaris hsd to be released somewhere in the world so i can just buy the headlight assemblies.

btw this thread is full of WIN!

skuzzlebutt5
03-17-2012, 12:04 PM
retrofitting is really really easy in these cars. if anyone needs info feel free to pm. all you need is a retrofit kit, Dremel, 3m windshield sealant, small peice of wood and an oven.
I also do a ton of nighttime driving and much of that is in snow, i once had hids in halogen housing and the amount of glare that reflected back from falling snow was terrible and i threw the kit out the day after. I'm waiting for the yaris hsd to be released somewhere in the world so i can just buy the headlight assemblies.

btw this thread is full of WIN!

@ Scubaru Steve - Can you send me the detailed instructions and pictures on the step by step process in which you changed your halogen housing to projectors?

OR....

You can make a new thread with that information for everyone that would not only be appreciated by me but also the numerous other members as well. :thanks:

SAV912
03-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Might i add, do i see condensation in your headlights? or did you just do a real shitty job on them???

No. No you don't.

Thanks for quoting the awesomeness that is my car twice though. It's pretty. :cool:

CPALK719
03-17-2012, 02:37 PM
No. No you don't.

Thanks for quoting the awesomeness that is my car twice though. It's pretty. :cool:

so pretty with condensation or that half ass done flat black paint in the headlight housing. after seeing that i definetly wouldn't follow any tutorial from you....

SAV912
03-17-2012, 02:53 PM
so pretty with condensation or that half ass done flat black paint in the headlight housing. after seeing that i definetly wouldn't follow any tutorial from you....

You need to lay off the Miller Lite, must be too strong for you. That's a camera phone picture. It isn't even high enough resolution to judge the quality of the paint job. Which by the way, is awesome.

And the only condensation you're seeing is where your brain used to be. Along with all the other waste of blood and organs. Your shitty thread just needs to be locked and you should be banned. Because you suck at reading, posting, making good threads, participating in OTHER threads...you just suck at everything! :iono:

CPALK719
03-17-2012, 03:55 PM
You need to lay off the Miller Lite, must be too strong for you. That's a camera phone picture. It isn't even high enough resolution to judge the quality of the paint job. Which by the way, is awesome.

And the only condensation you're seeing is where your brain used to be. Along with all the other waste of blood and organs. Your shitty thread just needs to be locked and you should be banned. Because you suck at reading, posting, making good threads, participating in OTHER threads...you just suck at everything! :iono:

when i get as bad as you, then i'll just either shoot or drown myself. your 10 threads on doing fucked up projector/blacking out headlight housings, scion head units, for one for sale thread, and HI FROM SAVANNAH !! was just really informative. matter of fact i bet majority of the remaining yarisworld members, if not dont even know you probably dont even like you....

do us all a favor and just either put the barrel of your gun in your mouth or go and wonder away from savannah, and more into a good ol boy area there in georgia where they will not only rape you but they'll probably kill you for being a fucking flamer and driving around in such a shitty looking car.

Your car is whack, your shit slow, your mods look like a handicapped child did them. and your just a poor excuse for a human being.

tomato
03-17-2012, 03:57 PM
OK guys, you all need to take a deep breath here. There are ways of disagreeing without resorting to name calling and stuff. Not that you're not entertaining the rest of us with the snarky remarks but how about we all cool off a bit in here?

You want to use the forum to find some help, then be aware of 2 things: no matter what you post, whether it's a mod, or should I wax my car, or whatever, people are gonna be disagreeing with you. Just take any thread, for each question there are at least 5 different dissenting opinions. If you don't like the feedback, then say "thanks, that's not my cup of tea." and move on.

the mods generally take a hands-off approach in here but this doesn't mean it's a free for all where you can just go on and insult each other. Be aware also that we don't want to babysit everybody so the warnings will come swiftly and the threads will get locked even faster than it takes to type this post.

hope you all get what I'm saying :biggrin: :biggrin:

tomato
03-17-2012, 04:10 PM
OK then take it easy in there (all of you) or I will lock the thread - at the very least.

skuzzlebutt5
03-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Pwned. Moderator with the iron fist. It's a good point with people and their different opinions. Like I said, it is what it is.

I'd like to have a thread opened with instructions on how to install projectors... But it's probably wishful thinking until someone actually does it.

SAV912
03-17-2012, 04:32 PM
OK then take it easy in there (all of you) or I will lock the thread - at the very least.

Copy that.

Best to bite my tongue from here on out. :drinking:

-C

CPALK719
03-17-2012, 05:39 PM
i apoligize for myself. as for the other guy... he was the one who came in here and started yapping, but thats it done and over with.

skuzzlebutt5
03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
:brokenheart:and so it seems my HID days are over....

just finished removing them.

back to oem halogen for me cause my gf didn't like the HID.

it was fun while it lasted.

CPALK719
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM

wow lmao ok sorry to hear that bro.

skuzzlebutt5
03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
lol.

her word is law if i want some :tweetz:.

:biggrin:

CPALK719
03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
lol.

her word is law if i want some :tweetz:.

:biggrin:

completely understandable!! i'll try and get some pics tonight to by the way.

tomato
03-21-2012, 07:53 PM

whipped.

:wink:

CPALK719
03-21-2012, 09:12 PM
whipped.

:laugh::laugh:

skuzzlebutt5
03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
whipped.

:respekt:

fe550
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I just bought HID's for my yaris. I figured I would simply replace the H4 bulb with HID's and be done with it. I was wrong. Now my lights are pointing up in the trees when I drive. Everything I'm reading tells me that I need to replace the whole headlight assembly (remove bumper) with a "projector" style headlight?? piss me off! Took me half a day to install everything including the remote relay control.

SAV912
04-04-2012, 02:38 PM
I just bought HID's for my yaris. I figured I would simply replace the H4 bulb with HID's and be done with it. I was wrong. Now my lights are pointing up in the trees when I drive. Everything I'm reading tells me that I need to replace the whole headlight assembly (remove bumper) with a "projector" style headlight?? piss me off! Took me half a day to install everything including the remote relay control.

The reason that happens is because the HID bulb isn't the same shape as the halogen bulb. It lights differently, the beam arcs differently, and the light bounces off the reflective properties of the headlamp walls differently.

Projectors really are the way to go. However, and I've been lambasted for it in this very thread, some see it as infeasible to do a mod such as this to a brand new car. And I can understand that. Your alternative is to aim the headlights way down, pretty much as far as they'll go, or just use a pair of good halogens such as Osram Silverstars. The 2nd gen cars had the same problems with people who just used drop in HIDs.

Hope this helps.

-C

CPALK719
04-04-2012, 02:47 PM

By all means if you have no problem tearing your brand new car apart and opening up your headlights, then definetly install some projectors.

mind you i've seen a few people on here who have done so,and their headlights as well as their painting of the chrome housing came out real shitty. just be careful and take your time.

i installed a set of hids into the stock halogen headlamps, i myself have no problem with the light output. and yes i know what the difference is between projector housings and halogen. i have another vehicle with projectors stock from the factory, and in all honesty the projectors do project the light out at a little more of a further distance, but i honestly didn't think its that big of a light gain, to tear my 3 month old car apart and start fucking with things.

good luck in whatever it is you do :thumbsup:

SAV912
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
EDIT:

Not even gonna start. Not worth it.

CPALK719
04-04-2012, 02:50 PM

You knew i was refering to you..... :biggrin:

skuzzlebutt5
04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
:bs:

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES CPALK719?!?!

CPALK719
04-04-2012, 03:08 PM
:bs:

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES CPALK719?!?!

lol my fault Skuzzle, i keep on forgetting, with me trying to sell one of my other cars, and also looking around for bikes, plus work. things are hectic. im gonna definetly do it tonight !! :headbang:

SAV912
04-04-2012, 03:51 PM
You knew i was refering to you..... :biggrin:

Yep, sure did. Thanks for confirming it to the mods. :thumbsup:

CPALK719
04-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Yep, sure did. Thanks for confirming it to the mods. :thumbsup:

regardless what you do to try and tick me off, it wont work....

ChitownY@Ris
04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
I leave you with this:

What about my sedan's fog light housing...I've debated upgrading them to the HID yellow, while leaving my headlights stock halogen. Will that look weird? thanks.

CPALK719
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
What about my sedan's fog light housing...I've debated upgrading them to the HID yellow, while leaving my headlights stock halogen. Will that look weird? thanks.

the only thing i would think since you would be doing 3000k yellow, is the color of the hid will look alot more brighter and richer then a regular bulb.

XyresicPsych
04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
might order some.. h4 hi/low beam kit is what i need right? thinking 35w 8000k and fog light kit and then h11 3000k 35w for those.. thoughts/am i doing it right? lol

thanks

CPALK719
04-14-2012, 06:37 PM
might order some.. h4 hi/low beam kit is what i need right? thinking 35w 8000k and fog light kit and then h11 3000k 35w for those.. thoughts/am i doing it right? lol

thanks

yes thats the correct size for the headlights, not sure about fogs. remember do this because you want to, remember everyone on here will try and flame you. i did it , and im content with the looks and the visbility of the hids in the halogen headlamps.

TimmyTwo2
04-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Any one know where these projectors came from? I found the picture on www.slickcar.com and it appears to be a 2012 to me. Slickcar doesn't sell them from what I can tell.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7181/6962231356_9388b55bcb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmytwo2/6962231356/)

CPALK719
04-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Any one know where these projectors came from? I found the picture on www.slickcar.com and it appears to be a 2012 to me. Slickcar doesn't sell them from what I can tell.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7181/6962231356_9388b55bcb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmytwo2/6962231356/)

appears to be just a rendering before the car came out imo

skuzzlebutt5
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
i think that's the euro spec yaris hybrid...

2012 YarisSE
06-14-2012, 10:31 PM
i installed HID's but i notice my headlight housing started to cloud up on the inside anyone have this problem? i'm currently running 6000K

CPALK719
06-15-2012, 09:51 PM
i installed HID's but i notice my headlight housing started to cloud up on the inside anyone have this problem? i'm currently running 6000K

you probably didn't put the dust cover back on correctly and its letting humidity in. try readjusting the dust covers.

TimmyTwo2
06-15-2012, 11:03 PM
i think that's the euro spec yaris hybrid...

It is, I found it, looks like it is the euro Yaris Hybrid.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=CC2-YarisHSD-landing

Anyone know if Toyota USA will import the headlights and taillights or perhaps a 3rd party that does? Projectors and LED taillights, genuine Toyota parts too. Also, any clue if they will fit my US Yaris? Also, I wouldn't mind the front bumper too, it looks sweet.

2012 YarisSE
06-19-2012, 01:20 AM
you probably didn't put the dust cover back on correctly and its letting humidity in. try readjusting the dust covers.

what i ment was top of head light housing turn white from the heat of HID's

Scubaru Steve
06-19-2012, 05:25 PM
hid's run cooler than halogens, i had 50w hids and they still were cooler.

2012 YarisSE
06-19-2012, 10:01 PM
hid's run cooler than halogens, i had 50w hids and they still were cooler.

i'm running 35W 6000K bulbs

CPALK719
06-20-2012, 02:39 PM
i'm running 35W 6000K bulbs

can you get at pictures of the discoloration of your headlights? i've been using HIDS in my yaris for about 2 months of or so now, and the headlights still good normal.

Lady J
07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Just some info for you guys,while projectors are better, some jdm vitz(specifically the RS and GS)come with HIDs standard and the housing is the same halogen housing no projector so I believe if installed and focused properly we should not have any blinding issues with or fellow road users

CPALK719
07-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Just some info for you guys,while projectors are better, some jdm vitz(specifically the RS and GS)come with HIDs standard and the housing is the same halogen housing no projector so I believe if installed and focused properly we should not have any blinding issues with or fellow road users

:thumbsup: thats interesting to know, i still have had no problems with my HIDS in my halogen headlights, the visibility is good even at longer ranges, even though some say you can't see past 5 feet in front of you :rolleyes: