PDA

View Full Version : Lighten weight. (HB)

Chocobo87
03-02-2012, 02:09 PM
What would you guys recommend to take out for weight for better FE?

Backseats? Spare tire? Suggestions? ^_^

Thanks!

Scubaru Steve
03-02-2012, 02:17 PM
everything you can or don't need. you could completely gut the car, bare metal. me i will leave it as it is, if i wanted better FE i could've picked up an IQ.

Chocobo87
03-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Yeah I wanted a good car to haul stuff from time to time.

why?
03-02-2012, 03:09 PM
everything you can or don't need. you could completely gut the car, bare metal. me i will leave it as it is, if i wanted better FE i could've picked up an IQ.

iq is rated a bit worse, but if you have an echo you get better gas mileage than both.

broody
03-02-2012, 04:13 PM
The improved fuel economy isn't worth the loss of comfort/look/quietness. They could sell us the yaris with the 1.3vvti and 6 speed gearbox, like in Europe and Japan. The performances would close to the 1.5l with 5mt and the fuel economy a couple of mpg better.

12 yaris
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Could not agree with more guys.Why sacrifice,noise,comfort,and a jack and spare?
Just change your driving habits.

CPALK719
03-02-2012, 05:44 PM
for the extra half gallon maybe 1 gallon if your lucky, why sacrifice it ??? just ride and ride and comfortably. i honestly doubt you'll save that much from taking the back seat out or the sound deadening material from a car that was just released from the factory a few months back....

i can understand if the car was 10 or more plus years old , but why fuck with a brand new car?? i mean we are all driving toyotas.... not honda civics for christ's sake.

12 yaris
03-02-2012, 05:58 PM
I here theres 2012 oem parts for sale!

03-02-2012, 06:07 PM
gut your backseat and trunk. I have managed to rip out about 100 lbs worth of uselessness. But my car is now much louder and less functional.

why?
03-03-2012, 01:46 PM
yea, why mod cars at all, it is just too much effort... Lets all run stock only and ignore any one else who mods cars for fun. Screw them, they must be mentally ill...
-----------------
I don't find there to be too much noise at all. That is what a stereo is for. I agree with taking out everything. I'd prefer to have a spare tire and a jack, but i still haven't taken the time to find one that would fit the 14's I have on it now.

Besides that though, lighter wheels help, the pulleys help, the flywheel would also probably help. etc, etc, etc. Trade everything you can for lighter parts.

And also learn to drive differently. Driving for gas mileage is completely different than just driving for fun. The FE forum has a ton of different ideas and ways to get much better gas mileage out of the car.

CanIHazYarisHatch?
03-03-2012, 08:55 PM

Ummm...not with that lame CVT in the North American market. There are real owners driving 2012s, and getting 42mpg highway. Only a manual tyranny-equipped IQ could begin to touch numbers like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I gave the IQ a long, hard look before pulling the trigger on the Yaris. The fact is is more expensive, gets worse MPG, doesn't offer a proper manual transmission, and looks like a Chuck Taylor All-Star shoe cut in half all drove me to the 2012 Yaris instead.

Oh, and I am a badge snob--I would not be caught dead in a "Scion". The drivers they attract I chose not to associate with at all costs.

My car has a nice chrome "T" on the hood and rear hatch, just as it's supposed to. :cool:

CPALK719
03-04-2012, 12:11 PM
yea, why mod cars at all, it is just too much effort... Lets all run stock only and ignore any one else who mods cars for fun. Screw them, they must be mentally ill...
-----------------
I don't find there to be too much noise at all. That is what a stereo is for. I agree with taking out everything. I'd prefer to have a spare tire and a jack, but i still haven't taken the time to find one that would fit the 14's I have on it now.

Besides that though, lighter wheels help, the pulleys help, the flywheel would also probably help. etc, etc, etc. Trade everything you can for lighter parts.

And also learn to drive differently. Driving for gas mileage is completely different than just driving for fun. The FE forum has a ton of different ideas and ways to get much better gas mileage out of the car.

i didn't say that much asswipe..... i don't see the logic in stripping down a BRAND NEW cars interior for weight savings. if anyone wanted a full blown track car why not buy an older car and do that.

also the yaris only does make 106 hp stock. its not exactly meant to be tracked. it's made for fuel economy with hp numbers like that :rolleyes:

why?
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
i didn't say that much asswipe..... i don't see the logic in stripping down a BRAND NEW cars interior for weight savings. if anyone wanted a full blown track car why not buy an older car and do that.

also the yaris only does make 106 hp stock. its not exactly meant to be tracked. it's made for fuel economy with hp numbers like that :rolleyes:

in other words you just said exactly what i typed.:rolleyes:

cali yaris
03-05-2012, 12:24 AM
I am a badge snob--I would not be caught dead in a "Scion". The drivers they attract I chose not to associate with at all costs.

That's a shame. I had a Scion tC before the Yaris, and I know you'd like me and want to hang out with me. :rolleyes:

cali yaris
03-05-2012, 12:25 AM
also the yaris only does make 106 hp stock. its not exactly meant to be tracked. it's made for fuel economy with hp numbers like that

Ever heard of "stock class", asswipe? <--- your word.

CPALK719
03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
in other words you just said exactly what i typed.:rolleyes:

your just a cool motherfucker.... :bow:

Jason@SportsCar
03-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Makes no sense to me either... But there is a large contingent of people betting on B-Spec (based on stock engined Yaris, Fit, Mini, Fiesta, 500, 2 and others) to be a big hit in Pro (World Challenge and Grand Am) and Amateur (SCCA, BMWCCA and others) racing.

We like ours with a bit more punch so we converted to Production class specs where we can play with the engine, suspension and chassis more. :wink:

http://www.automotifme.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Fiat.jpg
http://autosportscar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Toyota-Yaris-B-Spec-Club-Racer-in-2011-SEMA.jpg

skuzzlebutt5
03-05-2012, 01:17 PM
that red yaris looks fucking sick!>!!

CPALK719
03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Ever heard of "stock class", asswipe? <--- your word.

understandable, im sure 9 out of 10 members here WILL NOT, ever embark in any race with this vehicle. if you want to do that buy a car thats MEAN'T to be on track. the very small aftermarket support for this vehicle does not allow it to be taken past a stock class etc..

yes i know theres turbo kits, supercharger kits... still doesn't make this a track vehicle straight off the lot. for the price of a brand new yaris, you can purchase a few years old 350z,s2000,even an evo and sti. which are actually mean't to be tracked or daily driven. with ungodly amounts of aftermarket support.

I am by no means trashing this car, because i own as well and i really enjoy it, but i know where it stands on a performance realm. technically speaking a bone stock honda cr-x would do circles on track against a yaris, due to the power weight ratio, and if not probably a $1,000 in suspension and tires which is more easily obtainable will ensure that.

Jason@SportsCar
03-05-2012, 02:42 PM
understandable, im sure 9 out of 10 members here WILL NOT, ever embark in any race with this vehicle. if you want to do that buy a car thats MEAN'T to be on track. the very small aftermarket support for this vehicle does not allow it to be taken past a stock class etc..

Yeah, outside of a stock class the Yaris has no chance: http://speedcasttv.com/#/races/283 :laugh:

CPALK719
03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah, outside of a stock class the Yaris has no chance: http://speedcasttv.com/#/races/283 :laugh:

is that supposed to make me quiet up? any car can go across a track 50mph... once again as i said, im not knocking the car i love mine, but its not a race car and was never mean't to be a race car.

12 yaris
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
You are correct the Yaris is not a high perfomance car,there just basic transportation
for the average Joe who needs a well built car with Toyota's reliability.
If I still wanted a gas guzzeling performance car I would have kept my impractical
Vette.

Jason@SportsCar
03-05-2012, 03:58 PM
is that supposed to make me quiet up? any car can go across a track 50mph... once again as i said, im not knocking the car i love mine, but its not a race car and was never mean't to be a race car.

No, just further shows the ignorance/arrogance behind your posts. There are not too many cars on the street that are meant to be a racecar, but that rarely prevents people from modifying and racing them.

cali yaris
03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
but its not a race car and was never mean't to be a race car.

He doesn't get it. It's ok. Enjoy your mileage and pre-formed opinions.

Look up the Vitz one-class race in Japan, which has existed, oh since they DESIGNED THE CAR? :laugh:

broody
03-05-2012, 08:08 PM
The Echo hatchback was the ultimate/last driver's car 10 years ago.

CPALK719
03-05-2012, 08:10 PM
You are correct the Yaris is not a high perfomance car,there just basic transportation
for the average Joe who needs a well built car with Toyota's reliability.
If I still wanted a gas guzzeling performance car I would have kept my impractical
Vette.

exactly :thumbsup:

No, just further shows the
ignorance/arrogance behind your posts. There are not too many cars on the street that are meant to be a racecar, but that rarely prevents people from modifying and racing them.

There aren't?????? what are evos, STI's,M3s,srt4,Volkswagen GTI,vettes,mustangs,camaros, lexus ISF etc... the list goes on. Trying to beef up a car, thats mean't to be a great with fuel and safety standards, that has no race inspired aerodynamics, motor, drivetrain,suspension, is not only going to cost a fortune but is absolutely ridiculous and pointless.

just go buy a car similar to what i listed and it'll not only cost a fraction of what it'll cost to make a yaris in any of those catergories.

Once again i think these cars are very eye catching and attractive, and with a few exterior mods, it'll look bad ass, but speed isn't something i even thought of when i bought this car a month ago point blank.

Jason@SportsCar
03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
There aren't?????? what are evos, STI's,M3s,srt4,Volkswagen GTI,vettes,mustangs,camaros, lexus ISF etc... the list goes on. Trying to beef up a car, thats mean't to be a great with fuel and safety standards, that has no race inspired aerodynamics, motor, drivetrain,suspension, is not only going to cost a fortune but is absolutely ridiculous and pointless.

They are hopped up street cars. Not a single one of those has any track going gear on it. And oh yeah, the 3800lb Camaro on 20"s was made for the track. :laugh:

Cars like the Porsche GT3 Cup, Dodge Viper ACR X and Ford FR500S/C are among the few rare factory built cars for the track.

Chocobo87
03-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Stop hijacking my thread lol.

Thanks for the info guys.

My cabin isn't super quiet, but it is better than my Subaru STI. Do they make anything to make my cabin super quiet?

CPALK719
03-05-2012, 09:09 PM
They are hopped up street cars. Not a single one of those has any track going gear on it. And oh yeah, the 3800lb Camaro on 20"s was made for the track. :laugh:

Cars like the Porsche GT3 Cup, Dodge Viper ACR X and Ford FR500S/C are among the few rare factory built cars for the track.

why in the world would they put front and rear sway bars, struts, big brake kits on damn near all the models i listed??? those aren't for the track your saying ???

so your telling me YOUR shop yaris is capable of running with any cars i listed????

and i dont know where in the world did vipers, porsches, and ford FR500s and other cars in the higher end price range even mentioned in this topic? we're talking lower in the lower level car and your bringing cars that aren't even obtainable to the public in this discussion??? cmon now really ??? :thumbdown:

broody
03-05-2012, 09:23 PM
exactly :thumbsup:

just go buy a car similar to what i listed and it'll not only cost a fraction of what it'll cost to make a yaris in any of those catergories.

Once again i think these cars are very eye catching and attractive, and with a few exterior mods, it'll look bad ass, but speed isn't something i even thought of when i bought this car a month ago point blank.

The point of racing a yaris or a Civic is that it will cost a fraction of the running cost of a 3000+ pounds car. And it will be slower, but more fun and nimble.

Jason@SportsCar
03-05-2012, 09:45 PM
why in the world would they put front and rear sway bars, struts, big brake kits on damn near all the models i listed??? those aren't for the track your saying ???

so your telling me YOUR shop yaris is capable of running with any cars i listed????

and i dont know where in the world did vipers, porsches, and ford FR500s and other cars in the higher end price range even mentioned in this topic? we're talking lower in the lower level car and your bringing cars that aren't even obtainable to the public in this discussion??? cmon now really ??? :thumbdown:

My truck has factory front and rear swaybars and big brakes, is it a racecar? Those are items on nearly every vehicle in production today, that is not race equipment. :laugh:

Comparing what our purpose built racecar can do compared to stock street cars is pretty pointless. Given the same mods a car that starts with more power, better suspension and bigger tires will obviously be faster. The point was your dribble about the Yaris not being a racecar makes no more sense than the other cars you listed being "racecars", when they are simply street cars for a different market, not a single car you listed is prepared from the factory for the track.

The cars I listed, regardless of price, are factory racecars.

btw, just for fun, stock EVO MR 1:38.37 at Willow Springs. The fastest lap in our Yaris, 1:36.417.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cts=1331002043923&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roadandtrack.com%2Fvar%2Fezfl ow_site%2Fstorage_RT_NEW%2Fstorage%2Foriginal%2Fap plication%2Fd9a1c28f1e918b9c95a6995d3f0fe43e.pdf&ei=unpVT6SREIXs0gHjyfD8DQ&usg=AFQjCNGLeas85Djt_NEUJGODEVm8FzKYtQ

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2176871

SailDesign
03-05-2012, 10:12 PM
exactly :thumbsup:Once again i think these cars are very eye catching and attractive, and with a few exterior mods, it'll look bad ass, but speed isn't something i even thought of when i bought this car a month ago point blank.

:smile: Whoosh! as it goes overhead.

It';s a lot more fun driving a slow car fast thanit is driving a fast car slow. And the Yaris in stock form can still embarrass Mustang, Camaros, etc, on the twisties. A set of 205s instead of the stock 185s makes it even more fun!

Sad you missed out on this.

SailDesign
03-05-2012, 10:20 PM
<snip insults>

Hmmm... Would you regard the old MGB GT as a sports car? It certainly was marketed and used as one, but it weighed about the same as the Yaris and only had 95 hp, worse supension, and only got 28 mpg on the highway. Yeah - the Yaris could take that one any day.

And - for the record - everywhere else in the qworld but in the US, the iQ is a Toyota. Actually, not quite - in England it is marketed by Aston-Martin (yes, the James Bond car guys) as well. It's a little more dressed up, but it's an iQ

cali yaris
03-06-2012, 01:53 AM
stock EVO MR 1:38.37 at Willow Springs. The fastest lap in our Yaris, 1:36.417.

Exactly. It's too bad the guy can't listen and learn something.

AndreS123
03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm considering going to light weight 14" wheels with 185/65r14 or 175/70r14 tires after my stockers are worn down. 80-90% of my driving is stop & go in a hilly area.

most likely these: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=TS001LG&wheelMake=Kosei&wheelModel=K1+TS&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Yaris+Hatchback&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=14&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Weight

CPALK719
03-06-2012, 11:19 AM
My truck has factory front and rear swaybars and big brakes, is it a racecar? Those are items on nearly every vehicle in production today, that is not race equipment. :laugh:

Comparing what our purpose built racecar can do compared to stock street cars is pretty pointless. Given the same mods a car that starts with more power, better suspension and bigger tires will obviously be faster. The point was your dribble about the Yaris not being a racecar makes no more sense than the other cars you listed being "racecars", when they are simply street cars for a different market, not a single car you listed is prepared from the factory for the track.

The cars I listed, regardless of price, are factory racecars.

btw, just for fun, stock EVO MR 1:38.37 at Willow Springs. The fastest lap in our Yaris, 1:36.417.

your pickup truck comes with front and rear sways, strut bars, and brembo brakes??? i honestly find that hard to believe.

not a single car i listed is prepared for the track ???? you must be smoking or drinking some good shit.... the evo and sti out of the box are ready for any track. whether it be drag, autocross, circuit or whatever floats your boat...

now your next response will be where are the times and what not?? no i don't have them i could get them easily but its not that serious...

and then your next comment will be ohh a evo and sti are just econo cars as well just with a turbo slapped on it.. Yes your right but they still are made for the track anyway you think it.

Hmmm... Would you regard the old MGB GT as a sports car? It certainly was marketed and used as one, but it weighed about the same as the Yaris and only had 95 hp, worse supension, and only got 28 mpg on the highway. Yeah - the Yaris could take that one any day.

And - for the record - everywhere else in the qworld but in the US, the iQ is a Toyota. Actually, not quite - in England it is marketed by Aston-Martin (yes, the James Bond car guys) as well. It's a little more dressed up, but it's an iQ

i wouldn't regard the MGB GT anything... true it had similar weight and what not, there is no comparsion. that was not considered an econo car, if im correct it would some sort of a cult following, same as the yaris but i dont see any way of comparing the two as at all

As for the Aston martin IQ, i know thats not the name, but you are correct i recall reading about it. if i recall correctly they should be available to the US sometime soon.

Look to everyone on here im not trying to burst anyone's bubble. if you want to track your car, put a racing stripe on it and some big numbers on the doors then do so to each is own. i am entitled to my own opinion. :thumbsup:

keep modding, keep tracking, and keep those Yaris looking fresh !!!

SailDesign
03-06-2012, 11:26 AM
<snip-de-dip>
Look to everyone on here im not trying to burst anyone's bubble. if you want to track your car, put a racing stripe on it and some big numbers on the doors then do so to each is own. i am entitled to my own opinion. :thumbsup:

keep modding, keep tracking, and keep those Yaris looking fresh !!!

You are indeed entitled to your opinion (even if we think you're wrong) :smile:

The point everyone is trying to make is that a car does not have to be built "track-ready" at the factory for it to be fun to race. For fcuk's sake - people race lawn-mowers.... :laugh:

CPALK719
03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
You are indeed entitled to your opinion (even if we think you're wrong) :smile:

The point everyone is trying to make is that a car does not have to be built "track-ready" at the factory for it to be fun to race. For fcuk's sake - people race lawn-mowers.... :laugh:

never said it wasn't fun to race, I MYSELF wouldn't try with it or waste money on motor mods. thats me though.... i will however start modding this bad boy to look nicer. some nice aftermarket wheels and a few other things here and there.

why?
03-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Look you are just completely ignorant. No car out there can be taken directly from a showroom to a track and expect to be competitive. None.

And bye the way Evo's and STi's were never meant to be track cars, they are meant to be rally cars...

GTi's are just boats, and the rest of those cars are just meant to stroke ego's.

Maybe you need the definition of a race car:a car used for racing, as a specially designed and modified car or stock car. That's from dictionary.com.

Notice how it doesn't list any makes or models, or any specifics. Wow, who'da thought?

But saying small econo cars were never meant to race is one of the dumbest things anyone could say. Ever. It is like you missed the entire 90's and 00's decades. Where Civic and civic based cars dominated almost all stock and near stock racing...

So if you want to pretend entire decades simply never happened you can be dumb and happy and do that. Just don't expect us to think of you as anything but a complete and total fool.

KCALB SIRAY
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM

yes i know theres turbo kits, supercharger kits... still doesn't make this a track vehicle straight off the lot. for the price of a brand new yaris, you can purchase a few years old 350z,s2000,even an evo and sti. which are actually mean't to be tracked or daily driven. with ungodly amounts of aftermarket support.

I am by no means trashing this car, because i own as well and i really enjoy it, but i know where it stands on a performance realm. technically speaking a bone stock honda cr-x would do circles on track against a yaris, due to the power weight ratio, and if not probably a $1,000 in suspension and tires which is more easily obtainable will ensure that.

Hmm, I guess NASCAR, NHRA, and all the other "track" cars out there were born that way. Chevy Lumina ((finger to chin, thinking))...and those are just two. Wonder what the other 100 or so organizations do? Ah that's right, sponsers ;) OH and "factory" assembled race cars, don't forget those, and and and and dirt track racers too. :rolleyes: I'm sure there is a point in there somewhere, but I have to go now and change my non track oil and my wiper blades made from recycled Ferarri bushings. I might even rev the engine a little to get a tingle :wub:

KCALB SIRAY
03-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Best line ever! "For fcuk's sake - people race lawn-mowers...."