PDA

View Full Version : Where you come from makes all the difference in the world…

HardCharger
05-15-2012, 12:34 AM
So, this is like my 3rd post on this Yaris forum, however I’m going to let it all hang out and start a new thread…

I see all the reviews for the 2012 Yaris online, most neutral to positive, some negative as all get out. While I am not too young, not old, not cheap, nor top shelf, I believe that the 2012 Yaris is worth serious consideration by me given my perspective.

I am now in a 1994 Toyota Tercel 2D STD. Do you know what that means? For those who do, I am proud. That means that in order to roll the windows up in the summer with my old reliable Tercel I have had to find a re-buildable AC in the salvage yard (one that had the non-PS pulley) and then clean, install, vacuum and charge the refrigerant myself. This is not to mention getting the wiring and mounting brackets sorted out since finding parts for my same year Tercel in Idaho was impossible… This also means that all the “Cheap” plastic (several reviews mentioned this) in the new 2012 Yaris looks fine as frog hair to me. The “Overly Complicated” (common reviews again) double din radio sounds like a blessing to me since I would not have to hunch over and then hunt behind the 4 speed manual stick to modify my AM/FM radio’s limited tunes.

So where am I going with all this new post? Do I want to start a flame fest? Let me be honest… I would not want to start a flaming thread. Why? I’m not here to allow the passionate to catch up on their missed therapy sessions. If you need to convert someone, stop reading this thread now, be the bigger anonymous forum goer and find a more worth while mission. I am not going to be sold on a Ford Fiesta or something made in Korea regardless of how many gears I have to give up.

I am looking at the Yaris first and foremost for its projected reliability. I would like any feedback good or bad by THOSE WHO HAVE HAD A TERCEL AND NOW HAVE A 2012 YARIS.

Thanks!

tooter
05-15-2012, 01:51 AM
I can't forcast the reliability of the Yaris only having a 2012 for less than a month, but I can say that so far this car has replaced a 19 year old Hyundai Excel very well. :smile:

TPA5
05-15-2012, 08:08 AM
To be honest, Toyota's as a whole are reliable. Guys on this forum drop, slam, turbo, supercharge, modify, race, crash, pick up takeout Chinese food, and drive their significant others around in Yarii, and the cars just keep going. These unassuming boxes are rediculous amounts of fun to drive, an will be reliable for a long time coming. It seems hip for car magazines and other publications to poke at Toyota as of late. I'm not sure why. All I know is after owning the 2012 Yaris I do, I cannt imagine another small car I want.

Just my 2 cents.

eTiMaGo
05-15-2012, 08:31 AM
it is a reliable, robust, versatile and efficient transportation machine... And can be made into much more :)

richard_rsp
05-15-2012, 08:56 AM
I think you are completely correct. but it's not only the last car you came from; it's your entire view on things. I was looking at a used Yaris at a BMW dealer in Augusta this week and they were complaining because my trade didnt have leather or power seats; they said that it was inconvenient to have to reach under to pull the bar in order to move the seat :rolleyes: . Talk about "snooty".

I am probably picking up a new 2012 Yaris L sometime this week. Most reviews are discouraging, stating that the new Yaris is: Boring, slow, cheaply built, blah blah blah...

I didnt really find it to be any of those, and I have had my fair share of "fun" cars. I autocross and am actually trading my 2010 Mazda Miata MX-5 Touring (w/suspension package) in order to reduce my monthly payment. Before the Miata, I had a 2011 Mazda2 Touring that I also autocrossed. YET, I am STILL considering a new Yaris, primarily because of the payment; $70 less a month than my Mazda2 was.

I know that its "just a car" out of the box (and I guess thats where the reviews are coming from), but in my test drives, I have found it to be quite fun and with lots of potential. The interior is pretty nice (minus the weird textured dash). Factory USB on the base models? Yes, please. :)

I guess when you think about it as a $17,000+ car, it has more competition and is less appealing, but if you are ok with rollup windows, a base Yaris L with the College Grad program ($14,999 - $1000 Bonus cash) is a heck of a deal.

SailDesign
05-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I came from a 92 VW Fox, where the AC got HOT as you went uphill, and while the transmission was side-to-side as any self-respecting FWD car should have, the engine was fore-and-aft.... Gear box had a giant bevel gear that whined when the tranny oil was dead.
It came factory with a whole 81 hp (yes, I went UP in power with the Yaris) Build quality was appalling.

So - from that to the Yaris was a dream. I purposely went with the base model (this was a 2007) and have been driving a Yaris ever since - now a 2009 after the 07 got totalled. My youngest has just bought a 2012 and loves it, and my mother (at 84) is driving another 09.

Buy one.

tooter
05-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Most reviews are discouraging, stating that the new Yaris is: Boring, slow, cheaply built, blah blah blah...

I drive a 16 year old base model Tacoma that's also boring, slow, and cheaply built that I bought new for under $10,000 out the door cash price. Yaris is just the passenger car equivalent. Cheaply built means cheaply bought. :thumbsup:

mtiberio
05-15-2012, 01:11 PM
the yaris is a transportation appliance AFAIC. I certainly hope so, I'm only on my second tank...

thebarber
05-15-2012, 01:42 PM
i have a yaris 3dr CE, no power windows or locks, no a/c, oem head unit

ive hooned on this car like only a few others and it keeps on tickin'

the 1nzfe is wintastic

CPALK719
05-15-2012, 03:33 PM
my family and myself just bought our 2012 3 door yaris L model in January, before the yaris we had a 98 tercel. the tercel was still running strong before we ended up selling her, but the A/C died and so did the power steering.

We figured we got our money's worth out of the tercel with a 122,xxx miles.

Now as comparing the two , they are alike in certain aspects, i myself think the yaris has more room for its passengers and cargo, the tercel did not. mind you im a 28 yr old male who is 6'2 220lbs and i carpool daily with my 59 year old father who is also a pretty big guy. the tercel we would be almost be bumping shoulders throughout the whole commute to work. the yaris is alot more roomy and gets comparable gas mileage, also i believe the styling of the new 2012 model is alot sharper looking then any tercel,echo, or older gen yaris once again ( my opinion ).

and to end this post of mine, you should have no worries getting one, once again your buying a toyota which is always been a good solid car manufacturer. im almost at 5,000 miles on my 2012 yaris and i've only owned her for 5 months. shes still driving perfect with no issues.

Greenbean
05-15-2012, 04:14 PM
I love my 90 Civic STD Hatch but alas the head gasket has been replaced, she smokes like crazy, leaks water bad from a previous injury and the used up car I paid 700 dollars for 8-years ao needs to be replaced soon. I am ticked that Honda doesn't make a hatch anymore but I have owneed many a Toyota and totalled two, lol... On a good note the A/C works perfectly...

I am loving what I am seeing in the L model 3-Dr,

:headbang:

carolinablue
05-15-2012, 07:27 PM
I have owned a 72 Corolla, an 80 Celica, a 2007 Yaris and a 2012 Yaris. I have also driven an 85 Tercel Wagon on a regular basis. The engine sound and performance are similar between the Tercel and the Yaris, but to the electronic fuel injection there is a quicker response and some more horsepower when you step on the Yaris's accelerator. The steering is much more responsive in the Yaris due to the electric power steering. The Yaris also suspension handles better in curves. The shifting is similar, with the Tercel having had a bit solider feel, but the Yaris is smoother and quicker when it shifts. The interior in the Yaris is far roomier side to sidethan the Tercel and there is significantly more headroom in the Yaris. Due to the new traction control feature in the 2012 Yaris there is less wheel spin then there was with 2007 Yaris.

HardCharger
05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Thank you to everyone for all the replies. It sounds like most everyone is fairly happy with their new Yaris as compared to what we have had in the past.

Now if only I can find one on the car lots around Midland Texas or Grand Junction Colorado :smile: They are either selling quick or are not coming too fast out of Japan. Either way I will keep my eye out for my next car.

Thanks!

why?
05-15-2012, 11:29 PM
i came from a Saab Viggen. A car with all the options and luxuries they could think of.

I don't miss any of it. The Yaris is an amazingly reliable car, the maintenance costs are dirt cheap, the Yaris is easy to play with and mod, and I bought a base model, only option was a moronic armrest that took 5 minutes to take off. And of course 38 mpg too.

The 2012 shares a ton of parts with the earlier Yaris, so most of the aftermarket parts will still fit too.

nookandcrannycar
06-04-2012, 03:21 AM
i came from a Saab Viggen. A car with all the options and luxuries they could think of.

I don't miss any of it. The Yaris is an amazingly reliable car, the maintenance costs are dirt cheap, the Yaris is easy to play with and mod, and I bought a base model, only option was a moronic armrest that took 5 minutes to take off. And of course 38 mpg too.

The 2012 shares a ton of parts with the earlier Yaris, so most of the aftermarket parts will still fit too.

LOL. Moronic is the perfect word for that armrest. I also removed mine right away

why?
06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
LOL. Moronic is the perfect word for that armrest. I also removed mine right away

Indeed. I almost took it back to the dealership to get my money back. I was so annoyed they wouldn't take the stupid thing out themselves.

muffin_top
06-04-2012, 08:34 PM
You can see the honesty in the engineering, where the details were fussed over and the simplicity in the way it goes about the business of driving. It's inexpensive, yet nothing feels low rent. Sure, it's slow, it's eyes are too big, and the strange grain in the dash plastics takes some getting use to, but the little guy grows on ya.

Best part of all, it will for sure be: Stone. Cold. Bulletproof!

NJ Drive
06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I've owned a lot of cars including two 1981 Celicas, 1988 Corolla All-Trac sedan, and a 1989 Celica. All were great cars. Wish I held onto the All-Trac as it remains the only sedan I've ever seen. Very happy with my SE.

mirapatec
01-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Well, the Yaris is an excellent car for reliabity and fuel economy. I am extremely pleased, thus far.