PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it clean - post your arsenal!

Razr
02-22-2007, 06:34 AM
What products do you use to keep your Yaris showroom shiny?

Here's my amateur detailing collection:

Back row:
1. 200 Bar (2900 PSI) pressure washer
2. Triton wash 'n wax (local brand, super sudsy!)
3. Meguiars PlastX plastic polish (for light and instrument lenses)
4. Meguiars Final Inspection (for claying and quick detailing)
5. Meguiars Medium Detailing clay (for getting rid of shite stuck on the paint)
6. Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (for getting rid of *everything* on the paint, including the factory wax)
7. Meguiars #7 Showcar glaze (awesome stuff)
8. Meguiars ScratchX (really good for getting rid of small scratches like those you get in door handle rebates)
9. Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant (this stuff is AMAZING)
10. Meguiars NXT Tech Wax (used to "top" the finish after #21)
11. Meguiars Tech Protect (used on window rubbers and the plenum chamber vents)
12. Eagle One Auto Mop (quick dusting between washes)
13. Karshine Degreaser (for the engine bay)
14. Black and Decker dual action polisher (for appling the cleaner, #21 and the NXT tech wax)
15. Kiwi Kleen-Tyre (gives a nice sheen rather than a super gloss)

Front Row:

1. Meguiars Cheneille Wash mit (does not scratch, and no flesh left behind!)
2. Applicators for the dual action polisher
3. Meguiars microfibre polishing towels

Not Pictured:

Meguiars waffle drying towel
Meguiars synthetic chamois
Newspaper & white vinegar/water mix for cleaning the windows

Show us your kit!

eTiMaGo
02-22-2007, 06:40 AM
damn! clean freak! :laugh:

I never had the patience to do such a complete cleaning job, I take mine to a relatively fancy detailing place, compared to the price of all that equipment and consumables, it's worth it for a lazy bum like me :biggrin:

Razr
02-22-2007, 06:49 AM
damn! clean freak! :laugh:

I never had the patience to do such a complete cleaning job, I take mine to a relatively fancy detailing place, compared to the price of all that equipment and consumables, it's worth it for a lazy bum like me :biggrin:

Yeah, they do an OK job and they're cheap as dirt, but after seeing the swirls they left on the old Vios I just had to start doing it myself :(

Here's a pic the Vios we traded in on the Yaris @ 2 years of age (taken on the day we swapped) - it still looked better than new. We were kinda sad to see it go, but the Yaris soon cheered us up :)

eTiMaGo
02-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Yeah it's true, of course, if you want a job done right, do it yourself, that is very very shiny and nice for a 2-year old Vios :smile:

Kitt
02-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Totally agree with that!!!
BTW can someone recommend me what products and what steps should i use/do to wax or provide paint treatment to my car???

static808
02-22-2007, 02:46 PM
meguiar's products all the way. and porter cable baby!!! every amateur detailer needs one of those...absolutely love it.

--B

Razr
02-22-2007, 04:15 PM
BTW can someone recommend me what products and what steps should i use/do to wax or provide paint treatment to my car???

There's basically two ways you can approach it; go for a full-on showcar finish everytime which is both expensive and time consuming, or simply get the best result for the least work/cost.

A good place to start is Meguiars Rx (recommendation service), here (http://www.meguiars.com/rx/rx_main.asp) - it will ask you a bunch of questions about your car, your environment, and how much work you are prepared to put into it, and then recommend the products and methodologies to suit.

meguiar's products all the way. and porter cable baby!!! every amateur detailer needs one of those...absolutely love it.

Have looked up and down for PC here, but finding one with a local warranty and local voltage has proven impossible :( The B&D does a good job, but it's hard to get heat where/when you need it. Super safe though of course.