PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

AlphaFox
05-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Hello all
I have a problem.. :wink:
I currently have a 02 Nissan Altima 2.5S. I have upgraded different stuff on it, side sills, spoiler, short ram, etc and am fairly happy with it. It has been getting me about 30MPG (US), but its a pain since I have to drive like im in a nursing home to get that high.. :thumbdown:
I really like the Yaris LB, and it costs about $12K ~. I can probably get about 9K-11K for my car, leaving not too much of a difference. BUT, my car has allready depreciated, so you have to factor that in as the Yaris would be about 3K less as soon as I drive it off the lot.
I cant decide what to do! any insigh would be helpfull! :w00t:

AlphaFox
05-04-2006, 02:50 PM
no thoughts?.....

w1ngzer0
05-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Im in the same situation Alpha. If i sold my car i would have 4k left. There is the factor of just buying a used car and dumping the Yaris idea. But if i got the Yaris i would have money left over and i wouldn't be as poor as my impreza. Also i would have a new car.

Just a complicated dilemma.

AlphaFox
05-04-2006, 03:21 PM
This month is my last month for my existing car payment!!
I would probably take a loan out and then sell the car privately so I could get more $$, then repaly the loan. I could also get some upgrades out of that $$ too!!

w1ngzer0
05-04-2006, 04:41 PM
This month is my last month for my existing car payment!!
I would probably take a loan out and then sell the car privately so I could get more $$, then repaly the loan. I could also get some upgrades out of that $$ too!!

What i just underlined and put in bold should be reason enough to not trade the car.

AlphaFox
05-04-2006, 04:52 PM
LOL

w1ngzer0
05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
So, if you have no more payments after this month why would you trade?

why?
05-04-2006, 07:04 PM
My Saab is prolly worth around the same as your Altima is.

I bought the Yaris because it will cut my gas payments in half, and I grew up in the Sport Compact Car world.

I saved up the money to buy my yaris without counting in my car. So when I do end up selling my saab, it will all be gravy.

Here is an easy way to figure out the problem. Take a piece of paper. Draw a line down the middle. On one side put Yaris, on the other, Altima. Write down all the pros, followed by the cons of each vehicle. This way you can visibly see what you are feeling and the reasons behind it.

ricko
05-04-2006, 07:37 PM
I went through the same thing with my Acura at the end of it's lease. Don't forget to factor in the cost of all the routine maintenance that will come up in the next 4 years. When I added up brakes, tires, timing belt etc. plus the money I would save in gas, it made sense for me to go for the Yaris.
***** Note. I would have been buying the Acura when it came off the lease, so I still would have had payments.

AlphaFox
05-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Well, I allready did the brakes 5K miles ago, and I have a timing chain so theres no need to replace that. I do need new tires within the year..

It doesnt really make sense, I just want it! I wont be saving much on gas since I allready get around 30 mpg...

Maybe when the price of gas goes to $5 a gallon! I dunno... o well
:drool:

BensVitz
05-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Alpha, to be honest with you, I'd probably keep the Altima. There would be no point in getting a new car and possibly picking payments again now that you finally OWN the vehicle. The joy of purchasing instead of leasing is eventually, you won't have to make any car payments... otherwise you might as well go lease your cars. Trust me, it's nice to own and not have any car payments.

30mpg is still pretty good. Just check the tire pressure and lower your avg speed by 5-10mph, and I'll bet you'll get much better milage.

Ben

AlphaFox
05-05-2006, 04:46 PM
30mpg is still pretty good. Just check the tire pressure and lower your avg speed by 5-10mph, and I'll bet you'll get much better milage.
Ben

I did all of this, thats why I get 30MPG! otherwise, it would be like 24-26 :barf:

jcove
05-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I did all of this, thats why I get 30MPG! otherwise, it would be like 24-26 :barf:

Do you have an intake on it, or exhaust? You may be able to get better mileage, plus a little more fun with those, but you'd be putting out the cash up front. I have an 03 Altima, my wife's car and I drive the Yaris. It's a hard call and mostly a personal decision. All I can say is the Yaris is really fun, but the Alti has more power. If you're on a long trip the Altima would be more comfortable, especially for me (6'4), but I'd still take the Yaris...:wub: Sorry, I'm not much help because I'm hooked with the little car. The Yaris is a lot more fun and good in traffic, easy to park. I think most people on this site would be biased towards the Yaris anyway. :biggrin:

AlphaFox
05-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Ya, I have an intake and exaust. this last go around I got 31.4MPG, which is awesome for an altima. its a 2.5, I have a short ram and catback with stock muffler on it. im sure it all helps, but the main thing is driving style. I will try to give a link to some pics ;)

AlphaFox
05-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Heres a link to some pics of my car, check em out! I think I can wait a while for the Yaris, I dont want to have to redo all my mods again!
http://altimas.net/registry/vehicles.php?vehicleid=744