PDA

View Full Version : Top ten list:

12 yaris
08-04-2012, 09:08 AM
According to Motor Trend,our Yaris is #9 on the least most powerful cars
on sale in the U.S.
We're right in there with the Spark,i mev,iq.Insight,Smart,500,Leaf,etc...

eTiMaGo
08-04-2012, 09:17 AM
oh no that must mean we have tiny penises! :D

CrankyOldMan
08-04-2012, 09:33 AM
oh no that must mean we have tiny penises! :D

Funny, I always thought it was the other way around. :rolleyes:

jpmck03
08-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Funny, I always thought it was the other way around. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's the guys that get those huge jacked-up F-350s that are the ones that are "compensating for something," right?

Using that logic, us guys with little cars... obviously aren't compensating for anything. :wink:

Interesting that the Yaris is the 9th least powerful car being sold in the U.S. I mean, I never was bothered by or noticed that the car was underpowered. Hell, I find it to be rather peppy. But, like they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!

:burnrubber:

jpmck03
08-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Oh, here's the article in question:

Top 10 Least Powerful Cars on Sale in the U.S. (http://wot.motortrend.com/top-10-least-powerful-cars-on-sale-in-the-united-states-242699.html)

eTiMaGo
08-04-2012, 10:17 AM
well at least they don't make it sound like it's a bad thing...

tooter
08-04-2012, 11:05 AM
I like driving underpowered fuel efficient cars. They're fun. :smile:

nookandcrannycar
08-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I like driving underpowered fuel efficient cars. They're fun. :smile:

^^^^^ This

carolinablue
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
These figures are based on raw horsepower. A power to weight ratio would tell a different story.

Rockstar
08-04-2012, 09:13 PM
I find it more fun to use every bit of power a car has to offer on the road than using 1/100th power on the road with a supercar. Unless I'm on the track I'll have more fun with an underpowered car on the road. :thumbsup:

CPALK719
08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Who cares what they say ??? i'm quite content with my 2012 yaris. its great on gas, and its a nice looking, and it has a good amount in interior space for a car in its class ! :thumbsup:

Nicfin
08-06-2012, 09:27 PM
At ~ 40mpg, and gas prices creeping back up, I don't mind it one bit.

BluYrs
08-07-2012, 04:15 AM
With my Yaris putting out a respectable 69 hp, you can understand why I have a balance problem.

:bonk:

harda toenail
08-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Our car isn't "underpowered". It gets to speed on the highway just fine and will do any legal speed limit no problem.
Why would you want more unless you take it to a track?

Nicfin
08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Our car isn't "underpowered". It gets to speed on the highway just fine and will do any legal speed limit no problem.

You are right. I was thinking the same thing today. I don't "get on the gas pedal" that much in my Yaris, but it has plenty of power to me. On the interstate near home, there are about three very steep hills. Many cars cannot continue to accelerate up the hill. One thing that has impressed me with the Yaris is that it can. I have had cars pass me at the bottom of the hills and I will overtake them because they cannot maintain their speed.

People that have rode with me have also commented on the car's performance.

Yeah, I don't think the Yaris is underpowered at all. For a practical gas saver, I think they got it just right.

TPA5
08-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Underpowered would be if it didn't reach the speedlimit. It does, and it does in a reasonable amount of time. All my friends laugh at it, until they hear my monthly gas expenses. Then I'm taking mi'lady out to a nice restaurant to eat, because I have the spare money, while their massive SUV's and pickup trucks sit silent in a driveway 'cause they can't afford gas.

Whose laughing now!?...Well probably still them. But I don't even care.

Nicfin
08-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Underpowered would be if it didn't reach the speedlimit. It does, and it does in a reasonable amount of time. All my friends laugh at it, until they hear my monthly gas expenses. Then I'm taking mi'lady out to a nice restaurant to eat, because I have the spare money, while their massive SUV's and pickup trucks sit silent in a driveway 'cause they can't afford gas.

I'm not too sure. Gas has risen steadily over the last week. It is now $3.49/gal for regular here. If it continues to climb the way it has lately, there may be a lot of crying instead of laughing.

Billiam
08-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Only in The Good Ol' U.S. of A. would we consider this car to be "underpowered". :rolleyes:

nookandcrannycar
08-08-2012, 08:30 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

kimona
08-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Only in The Good Ol' U.S. of A. would we consider this car to be "underpowered". :rolleyes:

Precisely!

nookandcrannycar
08-08-2012, 09:01 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: ...and in certain areas (some not too far away from me) that attitude is magnified many times over.

nookandcrannycar
08-08-2012, 09:08 PM

When you have a nice retirement because you've made intelligent decisions re your money:biggrin: and they don't because they haven't:eek:...Who will be laughing at that point!

tooter
08-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Can this be the same Billiam?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/BlkS/untitled.jpg
+ 1,000,000

(I'm having so much fun with your joke... :wink: )

jayeh
08-11-2012, 09:08 PM
The ninth least powerful car for sale in the US has an engine that is larger than what the same model car in the rest of the world comes with. Interesting.

nookandcrannycar
08-11-2012, 09:47 PM
The ninth least powerful car for sale in the US has an engine that is larger than what the same model car in the rest of the world comes with. Interesting.

I wonder if part of the reason for the smaller engines not being available in the U.S. is that the opposite of the 'bigger is better' feeling that exists in the U.S. can only be pushed so far. I think the biggest reason the smaller engines available in Europe aren't available in the U.S. is that gas doesn't cost enough to push the will of the people (and I'm NOT one of those people who wants the price of gas to go up to nudge people to use less....I'm just sayin'...). Another reason I think a smaller engine isn't offered is I think Toyota might fear that consumers wouldn't have enough confidence that they could safely navigate U.S. freeways given that said freeways have so many low skill drivers on them. Another avenue to look at would be how well have cars with a smaller than 1500cc engine sold in the U.S. in the past, how did the engine size factor in to the sale of that particular model, and how specifically has the market changed since that time.