PDA

View Full Version : MY YARIS IS SLOW NOW?????

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
03-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I NEED A HEADER. ever since i put on the intake and exhaust(which sounds AWESOME by the way)ive noticed a lag in power.trd is too expensive so i need an alternate. who has actual results they can share with me????

forpinks
03-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Clean your MAF sensor and see what happens... it might be clogged by the oil from the air filter and couldn't get a right reading... spray it with a MAF sensor cleaner you get at almost any auto part store BTW if its out of stock use an Electronic Sensor cleaner.. same thing but with less additives...

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
03-06-2007, 09:40 PM
my car has 563 miles on it.....

Nimble
03-06-2007, 09:42 PM
NEWS FLASH!!! A Yaris is slow even with a header, pulley, intake, exhaust, lightweight oil filter cap, high performance windshield washer fluid tank, color matched badges, less than 1/2 a tank of gas, and you cutting your legs off to save weight.

forpinks
03-06-2007, 09:45 PM
dude! when I got my Corolla back in 02 I installed the TRD filter before I even drove it off the lot... after a thousand miles I feel it being slow even after a Synthetic oil change. and then I looked at a corolla forum and found out how a dirty MAF robs power... so I checked and found out theres some thin gunk on it so I sprayed it with electronic contact cleaner and it went back to normal...

Moose
03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
NEWS FLASH!!! A Yaris is slow even with a header, pulley, intake, exhaust, lightweight oil filter cap, high performance windshield washer fluid tank, color matched badges, less than 1/2 a tank of gas, and you cutting your legs off to save weight.

LOL- he has a point.

Seriously, you will lose bottom end grunt with an exhaust. It will get worse with a header.

oscarying
03-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I found out the car goes better in 0-80km/h when i took off my exhaust,
may be because it went quieter and i don't notice how fast i was going without the exhaust...
but true,1NZ-FE engine,what do you expect?190kw?no way man
if you want fast,don't get yaris

jamal1984
03-06-2007, 10:29 PM
where is the MAF sensor at? any help?

Thank you

PetersRedYaris
03-06-2007, 10:32 PM
LOL-Seriously, you will lose bottom end grunt with an exhaust. It will get worse with a header.

Seriously, I just ordered the ZPI exhaust but I don't want to lose low end power. Will this really happen?

forpinks
03-06-2007, 10:56 PM
where is the MAF sensor at? any help?

Thank you

start from your throttle body to before your air box... you should find it there. its got 2 screws holding it in place... it has a toyota word embossed on it

forpinks
03-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Seriously, I just ordered the ZPI exhaust but I don't want to lose low end power. Will this really happen?

yes it does affect your high end... but its great for racing and drifting...

you need that so your car breathes at high RPM "thats what I always need at the light when a Camaro's beside you"...

get a turbo after you get the exhaust, they have financing available:biggrin: ...

jamal1984
03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
start from your throttle body to before your air box... you should find it there. its got 2 screws holding it in place... it has a toyota word embossed on it

THank you Pink

tekmoe
03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
i installed the trd jdm exhaust and trd cai myself. my car runs great! noticable power gain compared to stock.

might want to have your yaris looked at? :iono:

ChinoCharles
03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
yes it does affect your high end... but its great for racing and drifting...

-slaps forehead-

Listen, here is the deal... with exhausts on your Yaris... first of all, you guys are still running a stock midpipe right in the middle of your system. You'd probably see better gains replacing the header and midpipe than you would the header and axleback portion. The key is to "get it out." Running 2.25" piping for the first 50% of your exhaust will free you up... running 2.5" piping to 2" piping then back to 2.25", that is just crazy. If you expect noticable performance gains from that kind of a setup, you're crazy too.

If you really want a performance exhaust on your yaris, get a header, trick the sensors in the midpipe and run a test pipe. Otherwise, you're only doing it for looks and sound... not that that is bad, I'm just trying to keep it real. You definitely want to open up that midpipe.

Second of all, the most likely scenario when adding a larger diameter exhaust is that you will lose some low end power unless you're doing something to get more OXYGEN into your cylinder and you are running a FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR to get more fuel into your cylinder. Only when you have more AIR and FUEL in the cylinder will your engine begin to make enough power to justify the larger exhaust at low RPM's at make it work for you under 3 grand. The good news is you will inevitably gain on the top end. Above 3000 RPM your engine is producing more and more exhaust as you rev higher, and the larger exhaust tubing will help you in that situation. Backpressure is your enemy at high revs, your friend at low revs.

ToTo
03-07-2007, 01:21 PM
-slaps forehead-

If you really want a performance exhaust on your yaris, get a header, trick the sensors in the midpipe and run a test pipe. Otherwise, you're only doing it for looks and sound... not that that is bad, I'm just trying to keep it real. You definitely want to open up that midpipe.

How about a highflow cat instead of test pipe? Or a high flow resonator?

ChinoCharles
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Sure, you can throw a high flow cat in your custom midpipe. The only thing is you're still going to have to do your homework and figure out how to deal with the sensors. From what I understand, nobody has had much luck with this yet, hence why no aftermarket company is offering a midpipe. Therefore, in order to run a high-flow cat you'll probably end up having to trick the sensors, but if you're tricking the sensors you don't need a cat, so why have it? Even a high-flow cat will make you lose a little flow vs. not having one at all. I say trick the sensors, buy a muffler and bend some 2.25"... make/weld yourself a little flange and booya.

forpinks
03-07-2007, 01:46 PM
this is the only answer to this...

If you live in the east coast, just install a racing straight pipe on your yaris, a header thats for racing, an intake manifold designed to suck the air out of earth, and just put your old CAI there... add turbo, change some internals, gut the interior, install a bunch of suspension upgrades, and change the wheels and tires with yokohama advans... and you just got yourself a GO-KART!!!:thumbup:

all for the price of a used Celica GT. or you can sell all the parts you gutted out of the yaris too... BTW you should have the fastest yaris in this forum if you do this... LOL:biggrin:

Dragonacc
03-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Sure, you can throw a high flow cat in your custom midpipe. The only thing is you're still going to have to do your homework and figure out how to deal with the sensors. From what I understand, nobody has had much luck with this yet, hence why no aftermarket company is offering a midpipe. Therefore, in order to run a high-flow cat you'll probably end up having to trick the sensors, but if you're tricking the sensors you don't need a cat, so why have it? Even a high-flow cat will make you lose a little flow vs. not having one at all. I say trick the sensors, buy a muffler and bend some 2.25"... make/weld yourself a little flange and booya.

I agree, tricking the sensors is really easy too. Just install a couple fittings for your 02 sensors in a test pipe and make a mechanical 02 sim (I can provide details if anyone doesn't know how to make one) for the second sensor. No check engine light and maximum power.

It would work with a high flow cat too if you care about the Earth. :smile:

PetersRedYaris
03-07-2007, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=ChinoCharles;60238]-slaps forehead-

Listen, here is the deal... with exhausts on your Yaris... first of all, you guys are still running a stock midpipe right in the middle of your system. You'd probably see better gains replacing the header and midpipe than you would the header and axleback portion. The key is to "get it out." Running 2.25" piping for the first 50% of your exhaust will free you up... running 2.5" piping to 2" piping then back to 2.25", that is just crazy. If you expect noticable performance gains from that kind of a setup, you're crazy too. QUOTE]

I wasn't expecting big gains, but I'm not excited about low end loss either. I really wanted it for the sound and stainless construction.:smile:

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
NEWS FLASH!!! A Yaris is slow even with a header, pulley, intake, exhaust, lightweight oil filter cap, high performance windshield washer fluid tank, color matched badges, less than 1/2 a tank of gas, and you cutting your legs off to save weight. this is the kind of crap answer i didn't expect to see in this forum but its all good.........

Nimble
03-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Expect it more with all the lame posts you've been making. Besides, haven't you read my avatar? :bow:

ChinoCharles
03-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Don't mind Nimble. He's a prick, but we tolerate him nonetheless. :bellyroll:

PetersRedYaris
03-07-2007, 09:56 PM

:laugh: Yeah, don't mind the exaggerated response, It's just the roids talking.

ChinoCharles
03-07-2007, 10:08 PM
We still love you Nimble. :clap: Someone has to slap the rice out of the forums. Guess its you now.

Poorboy
03-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Where do you get that high performance washer fluid at? How many hp increase:thumbup:

Nimble
03-07-2007, 11:14 PM

:wub:

Nimble
03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Where do you get that high performance washer fluid at? How many hp increase:thumbup:

12 to the wheels on rwd, 14 on fwd, we're lucky. :cool:

Nimble
03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
:laugh: Yeah, don't mind the exaggerated response, It's just the roids talking.

:evil:

tekmoe
03-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Expect it more with all the lame posts you've been making. Besides, haven't you read my avatar? :bow:

dam, thats cold.

:respekt:

ToTo
03-08-2007, 03:37 AM

Regarding the high flow cat, why do you have to trick the sensors? I just dont really understand. On the Yaris there are 2 sensors, one in the manifold and one after the cat. So if you put all your sensors back in after installing the high flow cat, I just dont get why the engine light would come on? The high flow cat is changing and giving different results for the second sensor... Not like with a decat which is the same result between the two sensors, which makes the engine light come on... :confused:

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
03-08-2007, 10:37 AM
not a problem i deal with douche bags on a daily basis anyway........

sqcomp
03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Apparently since I'm a ZPI hater (not really) you might not want to try this little trick I learned from my SRT-4 days...

Toto- I believe I know why you're going to see a code if you just install on a straight pipe. Read on...

When I replaced my o2 pipe and my downpipe, we had two o2 sensors. One on the o2 pipe itself and one in the "cat" area. I decided to run a straight downpipe with a cutout. I understood that the computers would throw a code if the o2 sensors didn't detect a certain temperature difference between the two sensors. What I did was to buy a spark plug non-fouler, bore the inside out a little bit with a 1/2" drill bit. Why? Well, go ahead and try to screw in an o2 sensor to an 18mm non-fouler without boring the inside top out a little bit, you'll understand...the sensor just doesn't fit. When you take a bit of material out of it it will screw right on. After you bore that non-fouler out and fit it onto the o2 sensor, simply screw the non-fouler into the downstream sensor bung.

This backs the sensor off just enough to have it read a lower temperature like you'd have with a cat...like you're supposed to. It is my belief that when you look at a catalitic converter versus a straight pipe, you should notice that the o2 sensor dosn't go straight into the pipe's exaust stream as much as it would with a straight pipe. With my limited smarts on vehicle engines, I believe the temperature issue is why you'd see a code.

Now, I can find the how to for the SRT but it is really as simple as i've described it. I don't know the specific size of the stock o2 sensor on our Yaris. Sice I'm NOT going to be messing with the engine of mine...I leave this up to you guys.

On the old car, I NEVER threw a code with this little DIY mod in the year and a half I used it.

Thoughts?

CASTREX
03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm actually going for this mod in a couple of weeks:

Custom test pipe and the non-fouler trick.

Is a cheap mod (like $60 on a local shop) so if it goes wrong I'll just go back to the original set up.

I don't want to loose any low end power (this is a DD after all) so I don't want to go for a bigger pipe. I'm just curious to see how the car reacts to a better flowing exhaust. I think there is no gain on going for a larger diameter pipe, been this a N/A 1.5L but maybe we could get something out of an improved flow.

Let you know how it goes...

ChinoCharles
03-08-2007, 11:15 AM
I'll see if Baskin can get a hold of his guy in Toyota... maybe we can grab their coursework on their O2 sensors and see whats going on.

CASTREX, thats what I'm talking about!!! Go 2.25" though, make it a tad larger.

CASTREX
03-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Some thing else exhaust related that I've been thinking about lately...

I kind of like the Chinocharles filosofy of cheap mods for a cheap car :thumbup:

Looking at the pics of theTRD muffler, it just looks almost the same as the OEM muffler with a nice polished tip. I guess the difference must be on the inside.:iono:
So, any one thinks that could be possible to open the OEM muffler and take some guts out of it? I dunno how that muffler looks on the inside, but anyone thinks that this could be done? Improved flow and quite at the same time!

Nimble
03-08-2007, 12:26 PM
not a problem i deal with douche bags on a daily basis anyway........

Right, guys like you...you know car salesman....typical douche bags. :laugh:

sqcomp
03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
FYI, those non-foulers should only be $5-$10 for two of them.

ToTo
03-08-2007, 02:27 PM
How about in the case of a high flow cat and sensors, one before the cat in the manifold and one after the cat, instead of in a straight pipe?

Dragonacc
03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Apparently since I'm a ZPI hater (not really) you might not want to try this little trick I learned from my SRT-4 days...

Toto- I believe I know why you're going to see a code if you just install on a straight pipe. Read on...

When I replaced my o2 pipe and my downpipe, we had two o2 sensors. One on the o2 pipe itself and one in the "cat" area. I decided to run a straight downpipe with a cutout. I understood that the computers would throw a code if the o2 sensors didn't detect a certain temperature difference between the two sensors. What I did was to buy a spark plug non-fouler, bore the inside out a little bit with a 1/2" drill bit. Why? Well, go ahead and try to screw in an o2 sensor to an 18mm non-fouler without boring the inside top out a little bit, you'll understand...the sensor just doesn't fit. When you take a bit of material out of it it will screw right on. After you bore that non-fouler out and fit it onto the o2 sensor, simply screw the non-fouler into the downstream sensor bung.

This backs the sensor off just enough to have it read a lower temperature like you'd have with a cat...like you're supposed to. It is my belief that when you look at a catalitic converter versus a straight pipe, you should notice that the o2 sensor dosn't go straight into the pipe's exaust stream as much as it would with a straight pipe. With my limited smarts on vehicle engines, I believe the temperature issue is why you'd see a code.

Now, I can find the how to for the SRT but it is really as simple as i've described it. I don't know the specific size of the stock o2 sensor on our Yaris. Sice I'm NOT going to be messing with the engine of mine...I leave this up to you guys.

On the old car, I NEVER threw a code with this little DIY mod in the year and a half I used it.

Thoughts?

This is exactly what I was talking about in my post. It's worked for me on several cars. I coined the term "Ghetto Sim" on thevboard for this mod.

sqcomp
03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Uh oh! This one might be for real! This is a super cheap way to "beat" the system. It's worth a try.

Galavoxx
03-09-2007, 11:58 AM
So, any one thinks that could be possible to open the OEM muffler and take some guts out of it? I dunno how that muffler looks on the inside, but anyone thinks that this could be done? Improved flow and quite at the same time! I've been thinking of trying this myself. I'll let you know how it goes. Probably wont get to it for about a month though.

CASTREX
03-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I've been thinking of trying this myself. I'll let you know how it goes. Probably wont get to it for about a month though.

Maybe one of the guys running the TRD's or one of the other aftermaket mufflers would be willing to open up theirs OEM so we can take a look and see if is worth it.

You could post it on the TRD muffler thread and see if anyone answers back. :thumbsup:

Galavoxx
03-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Maybe one of the guys running the TRD's or one of the other aftermaket mufflers would be willing to open up theirs OEM so we can take a look and see if is worth it.

You could post it on the TRD muffler thread and see if anyone answers back. :thumbsup:

I already have the OEM muffler. I just need to get over to my buddy's house. He has the welding equipment.

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
03-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Right, guys like you...you know car salesman....typical douche bags. :laugh:if thats a crack on my job title i got news for you WRONG DEPARTMENT.......

CASTREX
03-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I already have the OEM muffler. I just need to get over to my buddy's house. He has the welding equipment.

Good...! make sure to take a lot of pics:thumbup:

Nimble
03-09-2007, 03:42 PM
if thats a crack on my job title i got news for you WRONG DEPARTMENT.......

Right, you work for the ricer part sales dept, you know, based on your "mod" list.

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
03-10-2007, 09:58 AM
i said this before in another thread and i'll say it again, EVERYTHING on my "MOD" list was cost or free so WHY NOT.....

WRLEO
03-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Were working on a Header that actually makes power right now..
Be patient.. We should have them done very soon here.

KSIbucky
03-12-2007, 09:36 PM

don't forget mudflaps and power windows and doors i've by dorpping those in you get great hp