PDA

View Full Version : First SOLO w/Yaris STS

KS SOLO
03-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Took the Jellybean to our first SOLO yesterday, did ok. I did not drive at all last year, (was in NYC working), and a new car, on new tires. Won STS, although the page shows me in STX. Beat a bunch of Corvettes in Super Stock (woo hoo)

Blazin Blue HB
TRD "Everything"

Racing Prep
SSR 16x6.5
Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/50/16 pressures<42 front, 35 rear>

Additions this week.
TRD Intake
Front Tower Strut Bar

Lawrence

NepsGD3
03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
so you got first in STS? what suspension mods you have so far

KS SOLO
03-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Forgot to add the link to our club site

http://www.wichitascca.org/results/2007/03112007-ByClass.html

When I said TRD everthing I meant it.

Shocks
Springs
Rear Sway Bar
Radiator Cap
Oil Cap
Shifter

March 25th is our next SOLO at Strother Field..
Quick Shifter
18" inch Five Spokes for show
And we ordered the TRD seats from Japan

Black Yaris
03-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I did not see a TRD Glove box mounted Gauge cluster,gas cap, or the TRD race header...
And for gods name why are you running such a high air pressure when you run?

NepsGD3
03-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Forgot to add the link to our club site

http://www.wichitascca.org/results/2007/03112007-ByClass.html

When I said TRD everthing I meant it.

Shocks
Springs
Rear Sway Bar
Radiator Cap
Oil Cap
Shifter

March 25th is our next SOLO at Strother Field..
Quick Shifter
18" inch Five Spokes for show
And we ordered the TRD seats from Japan

oh snap...cool parts...you are the only one in STX, its all good cause you you get first place all the time:thumbup:

NepsGD3
03-13-2007, 01:18 AM
I did not see a TRD Glove box mounted Gauge cluster, or the TRD race header...
And for gods name why are you running such a high air pressure when you run?

you think thats high...i run with Falken Azenis and on track day i put 48 psi all around mine for all my runs...all tread is used after i examine them

ChinoCharles
03-13-2007, 03:19 AM
That time is silly low.

magoo_lc1
03-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Good job. You have the color hb i want.

Black Yaris
03-13-2007, 12:10 PM
you think thats high...i run with Falken Azenis and on track day i put 48 psi all around mine for all my runs...all tread is used after i examine them

and for what reason are you running this high air pressure... everyone who does solo2 here runs low pressure like the 12-22psi range on compacts

KS SOLO
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Damn, now i have to buy more TRD parts I did not know about, or hmmm perhaps i can make my own carbon fiber glove box lid and mount a tach and gauges in it. Anyone interested in that?

Been running SOLO for several years now, and those tire pressures are pretty standard. Please see my other post in this section with a link. Also you can read TireRacks suggestions. If you ran those kind of low pressures you would roll right over on the sidewall??

Not thinking about getting the TRD header, as in autocross it is all about low end for the most part with low HP cars. Will want to do some more research on it first.

Also like I said it shows me in STX but officially in STS, these results will be official after they do the paper audits.

Solo Rookie of the Year Wichita Region 2003
Solo HS Champion Wichita Region 2003
Solo HS Champion Wichita Region 2004
Solo National Championship 2004 40th (yes we sucked bad)
Solo Mid DIV Second Place 2005

PS all those early SOLO's were in my Mazda P5 which weighs about 900lbs more than they yaris :)

PS times silly slow?? I guess that would depend on the course eh? This was a huge course compared to some dinky parking lots I have been in, of course I really enjoy racing in Arrowhead Stadium parking also it is even way bigger. Guess I am saying times are relative to the course size.

NepsGD3
03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
and for what reason are you running this high air pressure... everyone who does solo2 here runs low pressure like the 12-22psi range on compacts

during my runs i always check my side walls...low pressure then will roll on the sidewall...i am new to autox and have only done 4 events and then 2 more for the last sundays of this month...i have a co-driver who is experienced more than me (he was champion last year in H-stock in a auto Neon)...so he is helping me out with tuning my car. The car has alot of grip with the front using all tread... the rear is not bad either. Its all about how you feel also with that set-up...it works for me...even B4 i got the azenis i was usingth stocks at 3 out of the 4 events i did...PSI was at 48 with my stocks which were 195/55 dunlops...they still have a little life on them

Great job on getting 1st in STS...that is my goal

KS SOLO
03-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Black Yaris
I did not see a TRD Glove box mounted Gauge cluster,gas cap, or the TRD race header...

Hey Black Yaris, I am looking for the TRD gauge cluster and don't find one, can you point me in the right direction??

Thanks
LD

edit: Ok I found something called the Tri-Set Meter Cover, it looks really fugly, does anyone have a picture of one installed?

HTM Yaris
03-13-2007, 05:39 PM
34 psi all the way around got me first place in H stock last month and 9th overall :) Not bad for a shakedown run :) This Sat , I will shoot for a top five .

Hey KS , I may see you in September :)

Black Yaris
03-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Black Yaris

Hey Black Yaris, I am looking for the TRD gauge cluster and don't find one, can you point me in the right direction??

Thanks
LD

edit: Ok I found something called the Tri-Set Meter Cover, it looks really fugly, does anyone have a picture of one installed?

http://www.toms-trd.com.hk/upload/trd351.jpg
there ya go

KS SOLO
03-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Ok cool, but boy those look really really ugly. I will see if I can come up with a CF glove box lid, with perhaps some Autometer gauges in them.

Stay Tuned!

LD

KS SOLO
03-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Great HTM!! I was going to get a white car, sitting on the cement in August in Kansas when it is 110 makes for one hot driver! But my daughters begged for Blazin Blue. Great hope to see you here in September, I am looking forward to the new site at Hearland Park. I will be running a couple of times up there prior to Nationals.

Black Yaris
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Ok cool, but boy those look really really ugly. I will see if I can come up with a CF glove box lid, with perhaps some Autometer gauges in them.

Stay Tuned!

LD

I was just pointing to the fact you do not have TRD everything.... and yes it is Ugly

KS SOLO
03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks Black Yaris for pointing that out!!

I retract that I have "everything" TRD :cool:

(hopes everyone here does not take everthing so serious all the time) :laugh:

New statement::: I have damn near everything TRD on my car you can possibly order that will make my car perform better in SOLO.

I guess the main reason I posted was in the Auto-X part of the forum to share ideas between people who actually are participating. In the Mazda forum for the last several years we discussed a lot of great ideas to make our cars better. Hope to share more ideas with everyone, and also to hear back from all of you.

P.S. I am probably way older than most here, so take it easy on an old man!

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
03-14-2007, 03:52 PM
did you cut your bumpstops when you did the suspension????

SailDesign
03-14-2007, 05:52 PM
did you cut your bumpstops when you did the suspension????

Now, Rockland - you know you're just trolling.....:laugh:

KS SOLO
03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Bump Stops, absolutely NOT!

LD

mojoyaris
03-23-2007, 12:51 AM
http://www.toms-trd.com.hk/upload/trd351.jpg
there ya go

Ok I want one of those TRD Glove box mounted Gauge clusters.

I really really want one.

KS SOLO
04-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Latest Updates on SOLO here in the Wichita Region for the Yaris
March 11 Hawker (no points) - 1st STS
March 25 Strother - 2nd STS
April 15 HPT (National Site) - 4th STS <dang Julie and Dave Avard>
April 22 - Hawker - 1st STS

Got my new TRD quickshifter and knob installed.
CUSCO Front Tower Strut Brace arrived yesterday :)

mojoyaris
04-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Have you ever thought about the catch tank?
I'm thinking about getting one which would help the engine in the auto x.

barebonedvitz
05-02-2007, 04:40 AM
KS Solo or to anyone who's been racing.. what breaking techniques have y'all used in auto x or in track?

i'm just askin coz heel-toe aint workin much for me as it used to be in my civic..perhaps it's just a bit of getting used to or pedal placement?... anyways i've looked into other forums, but havent seen much input from actual racers. what do u guys think? thanx! good day:biggrin:

KS SOLO
05-10-2007, 03:38 PM
mojoyaris, catch tank? for the radiator?

barebonde, naw, in Evolution School the biggest thing about braking they taught us was when to do it, and that is when you car is pointed straight, not to waste energy trying to brake while also trying to turn, if you are then you were too late. On our cars it is all about carrying speed, so you should really never be stomping on the brakes, be smooth my grammie told me

mojoyaris
05-10-2007, 10:41 PM
KS Solo or to anyone who's been racing.. what breaking techniques have y'all used in auto x or in track?

i'm just askin coz heel-toe aint workin much for me as it used to be in my civic..perhaps it's just a bit of getting used to or pedal placement?... anyways i've looked into other forums, but havent seen much input from actual racers. what do u guys think? thanx! good day:biggrin:

I do heel toe sometimes you go into a tight turn where you need that first gear and second is just too tall.

If you are running on stock pedals you should get some aftermarket ones where the gas pedal is longer. This helps alot.

For the long sweepers you kinda want to brake as late as possible and then tap the brakes. I find that sometimes I have my foot on the gas and another on the brake trying to balance out those big curves since driving with the throttle is not enough. (left foot braking).

mojoyaris
05-10-2007, 10:42 PM
mojoyaris, catch tank? for the radiator?

barebonde, naw, in Evolution School the biggest thing about braking they taught us was when to do it, and that is when you car is pointed straight, not to waste energy trying to brake while also trying to turn, if you are then you were too late. On our cars it is all about carrying speed, so you should really never be stomping on the brakes, be smooth my grammie told me

catch tank for the oil.
I just ordered my tank from Megan

KS SOLO
05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
No catch tank, if i was really worried about oil starvation during hard corners I think I would look for some baffling in the tray.

Vanderkitten
05-23-2007, 03:32 AM
OK, now some good info! I just hammered the nor cal twisties tonight and am ready for the track. My Jetta GLI had all the sway, strut, tie bars you doing throw on it, 18's with 225's, 220HP w/ ltd front diff.... and, well, I drove my 106 HP Yaris faster than I ever could get up the same road with the Jetta... and I did it at night!!!

So, I am a squid and drooling for some G-Forces. I have motorcycle raced and worked at a top race school, but the car is BAD-ASS! I was laughing tonight when I got back to Berkeley... "This thing really only cost $13k? UNREAL!!" Ok, the Megan Racing Coil-Overs and 205/45/17 Falkens help a LOT!!

Katana
05-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Nice results.