PDA

View Full Version : WILL THIS WORK???

forpinks
03-12-2007, 02:16 PM
HEY PIPZ! My neighbor changed the rims on his AKURA INTEGRA from 15"-13" and high performance Sumitomo tires ...
and he told me this morning that he got an increase in fuel economy by about 5mpg on doing this.

My question is.. if we install 3.5KG 13" rims and the same tires he used can we get a better fuel economy also?

Thanks for the answers!

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
please do not listen to whoever is telling you this bullshit......

CASTREX
03-12-2007, 05:26 PM
:bs:

Black Yaris
03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
13 inch wheels would not even clear the rotors, tell your boy to lay off the smack

Moose
03-12-2007, 09:20 PM
13 inch wheels would not even clear the rotors, tell your boy to lay off the smack

That is incorrect.

My drag slicks on my 99 Civic (which has Integra GSR front hubs/brakes) are mounted on 13 x 7.5" Lenso VPDs.

Not dogging you, just wanted to point that out.

I don't know about the whole fuel economy thing, though- my Civic only gets 12-15 mpg. :iono:

jdubau55
03-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Lighter wheels = less rotational mass = less the engine has to work to turn them = better gas mileage.

Moose
03-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Lighter wheels = less rotational mass = less the engine has to work to turn them = better gas mileage.

Good theory, however, a 13" tire that would maintain the same total rolling diameter as a 15" tire/wheel combo would be extremely heavy. Drag racers don't use an extra-wide sidewall slick for weight reduction (mine actually weigh more)- they use it [at lower psi] so that the sidewall will flex a little, allowing for a clean hook-up, and thus, faster 60 foot times.

Black Yaris
03-12-2007, 10:48 PM
ok smarty smart smart.... I was talking about the Yaris... you know, this is Yarisworld.com... I do understand the concept of less rotational mass, and that is why I am running 15's and not 16, 17 or 18's, I could have gone 14's but there were not as many options on wheels and tires, and consmetics were still a factor for me.... but 13's just won't clear the brakes, unless they are ghetto 100 spokes with a rev offset on 155/80R13 white walls... then they might clear the brakes

Moose
03-13-2007, 08:31 AM
ok smarty smart smart.... I was talking about the Yaris... you know, this is Yarisworld.com... I do understand the concept of less rotational mass, and that is why I am running 15's and not 16, 17 or 18's, I could have gone 14's but there were not as many options on wheels and tires, and consmetics were still a factor for me.... but 13's just won't clear the brakes, unless they are ghetto 100 spokes with a rev offset on 155/80R13 white walls... then they might clear the brakes

We are somewhat in agreement, actually.

It depends on the wheel. Wheel manufacturers like Lenso, Team Dynamics, and the like manufacture 13" wheels specifically for big brake kits and vehicles with large front rotors. That said, a blanket statement like, "13 inch wheels won't fit over the rotors" is somewhat incorrect- my Civic statement was only to make a point- not to offend your almighty Yaris board with the name of another car. :wink:

FWIW, this board can learn alot from the old school Honda crowd when it comes to making power out of cars that were not meant to. Just a suggestion.

CASTREX
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
That is incorrect.

My drag slicks on my 99 Civic (which has Integra GSR front hubs/brakes) are mounted on 13 x 7.5" Lenso VPDs.

There is a huge difference between a Drag wheel and a street wheel.

Moose
03-13-2007, 01:41 PM
There is a huge difference between a Drag wheel and a street wheel.

See the post above yours.

But yes, you are right, even though that wasn't the point.

Here's a picture of the Lensos, though:

http://www.chavezmotorsports.com/productimages/lensowheels.gif

They don't look too different from "regular" wheels. :iono:

mikeukrainetz
03-14-2007, 05:00 PM
13" rims....

Wouldnt the rpms outweigh the weight savings? Why go 'that' small?
Im on the opposite end of the spectrum so curious why somebody would buy such small rims unless theyre racing?

RogueYaris
03-14-2007, 07:49 PM
How much do those 13" rims cost? A savings of 5mpg equals something like $3 a tank up.

forpinks
03-15-2007, 01:05 AM
The cheapest 13x6.0 "their pretty wide" that i've found are in the Philippines from Taiwan, they are $120 for 4 rims... they weigh 3.8KG and pretty nice!

"they copy those rims from "Gran Turismo 1-4" so their miniature race rims...

the rims I saw on my neighbor's 99 Integra is pretty wide and nice... can I get a lightened pulley also and lower the car and get a performance exhaust to improve fuel economy?

oh! and again, I got 44MPG today with my 03 Corolla when I went to Cali!!!

Moose
03-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Wouldnt the rpms outweigh the weight savings?

The RPM don't change that much if you use a tire that makes up the difference, i.e, a tire with a much higher aspect ratio.