PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge: low fuel indicator

eepp
04-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone.

I bought a 2008 Yaris last year and I'm still wondering if there's a step past the flashing single bar of the fuel gauge to indicate low fuel. Is there some other low fuel light indicator (like I had in previous cars) after that or the car will eventually breakdown when this single last bar is flashing?

Thank you.

CTScott
04-16-2013, 06:31 PM
No. On the second generation Yaris there is just the slow and fast flash of that bar to warn you of being low.

eepp
04-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Thank you. So I believe I never saw both rates. How fast is fast?

CTScott
04-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Thank you. So I believe I never saw both rates. How fast is fast?

0.6 and 1.2 second flash intervals. The 1.2 second interval is when there is approx 1.6 gallons left in the tank and 0.6 is when there is less than 1.1 gallons left. The transition happens quickly enough that it is easy to miss the 1.2 second rate.

eepp
04-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Ok thank you CTScott!

BEEF
04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
I usually start looking for a place to fill up when she is blinking regardless of the rate. Either that or somewhere around 400 miles on a tank.

DeathBeard
04-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Mine goes from 2 bars to flashing I don't seem to have 1 bar

CTScott
04-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Mine goes from 2 bars to flashing I don't seem to have 1 bar

The single bar only appears flashing.

lamadoo
04-25-2013, 05:28 AM
Was reading some past threads.

I read that we should not let it drop to 1 bar (blinking). Always try and keep it at minimum 2 bars because you don't want your yaris running low and on fumes. All the gunk in the fuel filter will get stirred and stuff, if someone with more knowledge can explain better.

The fuel filter is extremely difficult to change, some say its unserviceable so we should take care of it and use decent fuel on top :thumbup:

Deathegg
04-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Also keep in mind that some of us have had problems with the fuel gauge not reading correctly, so that it reads as 1/4 full, but you're almost out of gas. Keep track of your miles with the odometer so you don't run out of gas.

why?
04-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Was reading some past threads.

I read that we should not let it drop to 1 bar (blinking). Always try and keep it at minimum 2 bars because you don't want your yaris running low and on fumes. All the gunk in the fuel filter will get stirred and stuff, if someone with more knowledge can explain better.

The fuel filter is extremely difficult to change, some say its unserviceable so we should take care of it and use decent fuel on top :thumbup:

That depends on what your car is doing. I wait to the bar is flashing to fill it, and I have never had to put more than 10.5 gallons in. An entire gallon is plenty extra.

But that is my car, all Yaris' seem to be different in this regard.

ciscobear
04-26-2013, 07:32 AM
I let mine go fast flash before refilling, I'm always tracking my mileage however. Sometimes it takes long to go from slow flash to fast, sometimes it feels like it is almost immediate.....I'm like wtf. So track via mileage :)

Mittelklasse
04-26-2013, 08:56 AM
I got no bar at one time :biggrin:.
Battery was dead. I think that was the sign of the fuel pump not working, the motor couldn't even crank.

On topic: on my Yaris, the last bar starts blinking fast when there's about 12 litres (~3.2 gallons) of gas left.
I once drove for another 100 km (62 miles) and still had about 5 liters left in the tank.

However, I suggest refuelling as soon as possible, as you could potentially burn out your fuel pump driving extendedly with low fuel.
(Gasoline has a cooling effect on the fuel pump.)

jayeh
04-26-2013, 06:49 PM
I usually start looking for a place to fill up when she is blinking regardless of the rate. Either that or somewhere around 400 miles on a tank.

400 MILES :eyebulge:

I once got 380 miles on a tank, but that was a rarity.

nookandcrannycar
04-26-2013, 07:16 PM
400 MILES :eyebulge:

I once got 380 miles on a tank, but that was a rarity.

I get over 500 miles on almost every tank. The official capacity of the tank is what, 11.1 gallons? However, the 'absolute' capacity (for lack of a better phrase) as demonstrated by CTScott's calculation (and my own 12.777 gallon fill up) is 12.8 gallons.

jayeh
04-26-2013, 07:24 PM
I get over 500 miles on almost every tank. The official capacity of the tank is what, 11.1 gallons? However, the 'absolute' capacity (for lack of a better phrase) as demonstrated by CTScott's calculation (and my own 12.777 gallon fill up) is 12.8 gallons.

Are you guys going to empty?

why?
04-26-2013, 07:24 PM
I got no bar at one time :biggrin:.
Battery was dead. I think that was the sign of the fuel pump not working, the motor couldn't even crank.

On topic: on my Yaris, the last bar starts blinking fast when there's about 12 litres (~3.2 gallons) of gas left.
I once drove for another 100 km (62 miles) and still had about 5 liters left in the tank.

However, I suggest refuelling as soon as possible, as you could potentially burn out your fuel pump driving extendedly with low fuel.
(Gasoline has a cooling effect on the fuel pump.)

The fuel pump is actually submerged in gas. To run it dry means you would have to get every single drop of gas out of the tank first.

nookandcrannycar
04-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Are you guys going to empty?

The 12.777 gallon fill up = when I ran out of gas while pulling up to a pump to get gas. My usual fill up is probably between 12 and 12.5 gallons. I pay ettention to how many miles I'm getting from each bar on the current tank as well as the total miles so far on a current tank when deciding when to fill up.

jayeh
04-26-2013, 09:31 PM
The 12.777 gallon fill up = when I ran out of gas while pulling up to a pump to get gas. My usual fill up is probably between 12 and 12.5 gallons. I pay ettention to how many miles I'm getting from each bar on the current tank as well as the total miles so far on a current tank when deciding when to fill up.

Most are mine are in the 8-9 gallon range. Makes more sense now.

nookandcrannycar
04-26-2013, 11:21 PM

Oops. I do know how to spell attention :smile:.

why?
04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Most are mine are in the 8-9 gallon range. Makes more sense now.

Also note nookandcrannycar fills the tank until he can see the gas.

daf62757
04-28-2013, 02:19 PM
What I would like to do is add more capacity to my gas tank. I have often toyed with the idea of getting a 20 gallon tank. You could go a long way or a long time without gassing up.

I wonder how hard it would be to drop the OEM tank and get an aftermarket tank. How would that effect the gas gauge?

rasals
11-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Can someone please tell me approximate total KILOMETERS per tank?

I've found that my fuel indicator stays above half a tank until nearly 500 KMs, then suddenly drops to two bars, to be followed by the blinker pretty quickly.

I've been estimating at about 600km/tank to be safe.

What is everyone else getting in kilometers?

Thanks

cavramopoulos
03-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Hi All,

has anyone noticed if when they power their car on and the dashboard lights up if the fuel light comes on as well? I noticed all my warning lights came on except that one and want to know if maybe the sensor is burnt out on it.

thanks

Jcp123
03-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Also keep in mind that some of us have had problems with the fuel gauge not reading correctly, so that it reads as 1/4 full, but you're almost out of gas. Keep track of your miles with the odometer so you don't run out of gas.

I have this problem as well in my Echo. Sucks.

cavramopoulos
03-11-2015, 12:03 PM
have you tried getting it fixed? or were you told this is an echo feature? reason asking is because my gas meter pin I noticed stays in place where my gas level is until I lock the car...this never was the case from 2012-2014, the minute I took my key out the engine the gas meter would reset as expected. Toyota is telling me that I am lieing about this which I am not and do not know how to get it resolved. let me know if you have the same issue

Jcp123
03-11-2015, 12:25 PM
have you tried getting it fixed? or were you told this is an echo feature? reason asking is because my gas meter pin I noticed stays in place where my gas level is until I lock the car...this never was the case from 2012-2014, the minute I took my key out the engine the gas meter would reset as expected. Toyota is telling me that I am lieing about this which I am not and do not know how to get it resolved. let me know if you have the same issue

Never really attempted to fix it, I inherited this car from my wife... She can't remember when it started doing that.

Jcp123
03-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Can someone please tell me approximate total KILOMETERS per tank?

I've found that my fuel indicator stays above half a tank until nearly 500 KMs, then suddenly drops to two bars, to be followed by the blinker pretty quickly.

I've been estimating at about 600km/tank to be safe.

What is everyone else getting in kilometers?

Thanks

I usually get a little above 400 miles / ~650km per tank. This is on 10.5g, I usually fill up with 9-10gal, leaving some extra in there. My ferry range would be higher.

My longest tank was over 500mi (800km), summer before last when I had a fantastic commute. At that time, though I was stuffing the tank right up to the fuel cap, ignorant of the dangers this posed to the canister.

Jcp123
03-11-2015, 12:31 PM
What I would like to do is add more capacity to my gas tank. I have often toyed with the idea of getting a 20 gallon tank. You could go a long way or a long time without gassing up.

I wonder how hard it would be to drop the OEM tank and get an aftermarket tank. How would that effect the gas gauge?

I've liked that idea myself. 12-14g would be fine. I have had some crazy ideas such as seeing if I can bang the tank walls out a bit to get some extra volume. Don't know why just because it's an economy car made for good fuel economy, we can't have a bigger tank.

Ajzak
10-28-2018, 06:07 PM
Help please!!!
I have 09 (06-09) 1.4D Yaris, and when i refuelled it (twice) my bar (square) after short time period went up , but my "available" km did not move? As if I never refueled it? Help