PDA

View Full Version : Fix or sell?

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Hey guys! I've got involved in a car accident and need to decide whether to repair my Yaris or sell it. The problem is that I've been quoted $1700 to put it back to its original condition (only for quater panel since I've already payed for other repairs), which obviously is a lot of money for such a cheap car. So my dilemma is quite simple: fix it up and keep it until it dies or sell it right away so someone with tools and skills could fix it for much cheaper? Or just ignore the damage and keep driving since I don't really care about appearance (as long as it's clean).
The reason I would hate to sell my Yaris is that I take a good care of it and it serves me accordingly without any problems so far, even though there are 86000 miles on the odometer.
So, ladies and gentlemen, what would you do in my situation? Thanks for taking your time!

yarisugi
04-17-2013, 11:16 PM
If everything is aligned, no frame damage, and still runs well - keep it and drive
it into the ground. The amount you save driving your current vehicle versus selling/
trading it in for another vehicle will benefit you in the end.

*but the rear axle does look a little crooked...

Yaristeve
04-17-2013, 11:19 PM
I think you need to go somewhere else and get another estimate. I can't believe that is only $1700 worth of damage. I am guessing you were rear ended? Then for the outer sheet metal to buckle like that I would expect the frame was bent...

Foot
04-18-2013, 07:02 AM
IT appears that the rear wheel is going to hit the bummer as you drive and hit any bumps. 1700 dollars does seem cheap to repair this damage. If it drives and you do not care how it looks... Keep driving.

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 09:54 AM
If everything is aligned, no frame damage, and still runs well - keep it and drive
it into the ground. The amount you save driving your current vehicle versus selling/
trading it in for another vehicle will benefit you in the end.

*but the rear axle does look a little crooked...

Thanks for advice, Yarisugi! Everything is aligned and there is no frame damage, and you are right - I had to replace rear axle beam, shock and rim, so now it drives like new.

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 10:17 AM
I think you need to go somewhere else and get another estimate. I can't believe that is only $1700 worth of damage. I am guessing you were rear ended? Then for the outer sheet metal to buckle like that I would expect the frame was bent...

The estimate is only relevant to the body damage. I've already spent $1000 on other parts, so this is the only thing that needs repairs. You are probably right regarding the worth of damage, I was given another quote ($2700) for an insurance purpose in case they acknowledge that the accident was another driver's fault. So, to make things more clear: the first scenario is my out of pocket money and the second one is an insurance company's headache, but because the case is under investigation I take into consideration all possible scenarios.

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 10:19 AM
IT appears that the rear wheel is going to hit the bummer as you drive and hit any bumps. 1700 dollars does seem cheap to repair this damage. If it drives and you do not care how it looks... Keep driving.

Thanks, Foot! The rear wheel is already fixed:smile:

BEEF
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
why not drive it as is and take a weekend and try to beat it out/smooth it out the best you can. It would also give you a little experience in body work. if it isn't perfect, oh well.

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 11:13 AM
why not drive it as is and take a weekend and try to beat it out/smooth it out the best you can. It would also give you a little experience in body work. if it isn't perfect, oh well.

Oh, thanks for suggestion, BEEF! I would be glad to give it a try, but unfortunately I don't have a garage:frown:
Do you think it is possible to smooth it out and probably paint it over without replacing the entire quarter panel?

BEEF
04-18-2013, 12:35 PM
You could drill some holes, hit it with a slide hammer, bondo over the thing and paint with duplicolor. it probably won't be perfect but most of us drive 20 foot cars (looks good from 20 feet away).

I have a cavalier that took a deer a few years ago. she is at 250,000 miles and still ticking (literally, has a tick).

YarisSedan
04-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Well if you factor if your alternative is to go out and buy a new car your going to pay several thousand in taxes soon as you buy it anyways, also its higher insurance higher registration fees etc, It really is more cost effective to repair your current vehicle and keep driving it its already been proven that the yaris can go several hundred thousand miles pretty problem free. Your car is already paid off i would assume so there is no longer a monthly cost. The average car payment is around 300 so lets say you fix your car and drive it only a year you would have saved 3600 in car payments if you drive it 2 years and sell it you saved 7200 not to mention possible 2 thousand in sales tax so its still a win win.

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 01:27 PM
You could drill some holes, hit it with a slide hammer, bondo over the thing and paint with duplicolor. it probably won't be perfect but most of us drive 20 foot cars (looks good from 20 feet away).

I have a cavalier that took a deer a few years ago. she is at 250,000 miles and still ticking (literally, has a tick).

Sounds pretty cool! If nothing works out for me, I'll definitely follow your advice. Thanks!

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Well if you factor if your alternative is to go out and buy a new car your going to pay several thousand in taxes soon as you buy it anyways, also its higher insurance higher registration fees etc, It really is more cost effective to repair your current vehicle and keep driving it its already been proven that the yaris can go several hundred thousand miles pretty problem free. Your car is already paid off i would assume so there is no longer a monthly cost. The average car payment is around 300 so lets say you fix your car and drive it only a year you would have saved 3600 in car payments if you drive it 2 years and sell it you saved 7200 not to mention possible 2 thousand in sales tax so its still a win win.

This is what bothers me! Making monthly payments is not in my best interest since I'm a student and don't really want to spend extra money on such toys. The car has been been paid off long time ago, and like many Yaris owners here, I'm used to not have any payments at all (beside routine maintenance expenses).
I agree with you, YarisSedan, even though the upfront costs are relatively high, it is more financially efficient to get the car fixed instead of throwing money on a new car. Thanks!

jcboy
04-18-2013, 02:00 PM
have it repaired for cheap then use it until it dies. your original idea is right, since you dont care about looks. so have it done for bodywork (very cheap) then paint it on your own.

the cheap bodywork will get rust after many years, by then you probably couldnt care less about your yaris. even better, someone might rear hit you in that area again, then you could have a real job done for it (if his insurance pays for it).

oh btw, the story's a little different if insurance finds youre not at fault. if so, i would suggest have it restored very carefully...then use it until it dies. :)

bronsin
04-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Drive, baby, drive! :thumbup:

YarisSedan
04-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Usually any good body shop too after the work is done its polished and detailed the entire car so when you pick it up it will feel like a brand new car again.

bronsin
04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Usually any good body shop too after the work is done its polished and detailed the entire car so when you pick it up it will feel like a brand new car again.

Yes thats true. The shop even got the marks/stains out of the plastic panels on the drivers door!

B2FiNiTY
04-18-2013, 03:56 PM
since the car is paid off and drives well, keep it since you don't want to be spending money.

if you wanna take it to the next step, keep it like that, and fix it one day if you decide to sell the car or never fix it at all. you never know, maybe one day, someone will hit your car in the same spot.

esse10
04-18-2013, 05:20 PM
I would say keep'er unless the rear axle is bent also, hey I like the color, mine is also silver. These cars should make it up to 300k miles if you take care of it. Good luck

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 08:36 PM
have it repaired for cheap then use it until it dies. your original idea is right, since you dont care about looks. so have it done for bodywork (very cheap) then paint it on your own.

the cheap bodywork will get rust after many years, by then you probably couldnt care less about your yaris. even better, someone might rear hit you in that area again, then you could have a real job done for it (if his insurance pays for it).

oh btw, the story's a little different if insurance finds youre not at fault. if so, i would suggest have it restored very carefully...then use it until it dies. :)
That one is a great idea!, jcboy! I've never thought about it and will definitely keep it mind. Thanks!

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 08:41 PM
since the car is paid off and drives well, keep it since you don't want to be spending money.

if you wanna take it to the next step, keep it like that, and fix it one day if you decide to sell the car or never fix it at all. you never know, maybe one day, someone will hit your car in the same spot.

You are completely right on that, B2FiNiTY! This is the most practical way to handle this issue. Thank you!

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 08:45 PM
I would say keep'er unless the rear axle is bent also, hey I like the color, mine is also silver. These cars should make it up to 300k miles if you take care of it. Good luck

Thanks! I've replaced the rear axle beam, so the only problem now is the body damage, and yes, I believe that these cars can go way over 300k with a proper maintenance.

why?
04-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Fix it. Go to a good body shop that will warranty their work for life, and let them replace the entire thing.

I sideswiped a stop sign on a dark and stormy day, and the quarter panel like yours was messed up badly. I took it to my insurance, found the best body shop in the area. The fixed it up perfectly, gave me 3 different lifetime warranties, 1 from the shop for the work, 1 from the paint company for the paint, and 1 from the insurance company for everything, and it is good as new.

Even if the accident is your fault, your insurance is there to pay for it. The premiums won't rise that much. Plus a fixed car will get much better gas mileage.

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Fix it. Go to a good body shop that will warranty their work for life, and let them replace the entire thing.

I sideswiped a stop sign on a dark and stormy day, and the quarter panel like yours was messed up badly. I took it to my insurance, found the best body shop in the area. The fixed it up perfectly, gave me 3 different lifetime warranties, 1 from the shop for the work, 1 from the paint company for the paint, and 1 from the insurance company for everything, and it is good as new.

Even if the accident is your fault, your insurance is there to pay for it. The premiums won't rise that much. Plus a fixed car will get much better gas mileage.

Thanks! If everything goes fine, I will surely follow the way you've just described. It really sucks to get into this kind of stuff, since I've driven cars and motorcycles for 15 years and never had even a close sign of being involved in any kind of road accident.
Hope you had a good experience with an insurance company, but mine (State Farm) is just a pain in ... to deal with and it treats me like I owe them something. This is very disgusting because I've never caused any problem for them and been their long-term customer.:mad:

edmscan
04-19-2013, 03:44 AM
This is very disgusting because I've never caused any problem for them and been their long-term customer.:mad:

You must remember that the insurance company is not in business to make you money .. but rather make them money.

I was in an accident with my Yaris in December and it took 4 months for the other drivers insurance company to admit fault. I then got my Yaris fixed and it looked like it just came from the showroom. So some times these things can work out well for you, especially if you were not at fault.

mr_miles
04-19-2013, 03:48 AM
take the rear interior panels off. you'll be able to get probably 80% of that dent out (to at least a bondo-able section) from back there. it's completely hollow behind that plastic to the outer metal, lol.

Perpetuous_Dreamer
04-19-2013, 11:07 AM
take the rear interior panels off. you'll be able to get probably 80% of that dent out (to at least a bondo-able section) from back there. it's completely hollow behind that plastic to the outer metal, lol.

Great tip, mr_miles! Beside saving money, I'll get some expertise in collision repair:smile: