PDA

View Full Version : Will this hold? Plastic bag vs brake fluid

lamadoo
04-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Sorry for the consecutive threads and questions guys.

I havn't been driving for a couple of days, moms been using my car.
After when she got home she told me about the ABS lights being on for a couple of days now.

When i checked it, it turned out to be the rubber plug for the brake reservoir has been ripped and i've lost so much brake fluid. It went considerable past the minimum line and theirs brake fluid all over the rubber pipes below it. When examining the rubber plug, it does not appear to be of high quality when i pulled n tugged at it.

My question is will this be alright for a few days until i can find something more solid to plug it with ( i dont want the fluid to absorb water when leaving the car outside)? I cut out a piece of plastic and wrapped it around using it as a plug with some duck tape around the edges. I can't find where to buy this rubber plug or whats its called over google or ebay. Dot 3 come in plastic bottles but this is a cheap plastic bag as per the pic so im not sure if dot 3 will eat away at it while i look for something solid to replace it with

Heres a pic :tongue:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9738/snapshot20130424210748w.png

EDIT: Im not gonna drive it of course, its just for protecting the fluid from gathering moisture.

CTScott
04-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Brake fluid will eat through the ziplock bag. Not all plastics are resistant to brake fluid.

lamadoo
04-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Brake fluid will eat through the ziplock bag. Not all plastics are resistant to brake fluid.

Thanks scott, any suggestions to use? I can't find a replacement anywhere.

Im thinking of making a solid plug or so tmr, idk what with.

CTScott
04-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks scott, any suggestions to use? I can't find a replacement anywhere.

Im thinking of making a solid plug or so tmr, idk what with.

Most hardware stores have a cabinet in the hardware area with various size rubber stoppers. I would try to find one of those that fits.

lamadoo
04-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Thankss, ill get one first thing tommorow !

Geoff Peace
04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Sorry for the consecutive threads and questions guys.

I havn't been driving for a couple of days, moms been using my car.
After when she got home she told me about the ABS lights being on for a couple of days now.

When i checked it, it turned out to be the rubber plug for the brake reservoir has been ripped and i've lost so much brake fluid. It went considerable past the minimum line and theirs brake fluid all over the rubber pipes below it. When examining the rubber plug, it does not appear to be of high quality when i pulled n tugged at it.

My question is will this be alright for a few days until i can find something more solid to plug it with ( i dont want the fluid to absorb water when leaving the car outside)? I cut out a piece of plastic and wrapped it around using it as a plug with some duck tape around the edges. I can't find where to buy this rubber plug or whats its called over google or ebay. Dot 3 come in plastic bottles but this is a cheap plastic bag as per the pic so im not sure if dot 3 will eat away at it while i look for something solid to replace it with

Heres a pic :tongue:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9738/snapshot20130424210748w.png

EDIT: Im not gonna drive it of course, its just for protecting the fluid from gathering moisture. I assume your car is an automatic, the take off point on your master cylinder is for the clutch on a manual transmission. I would buy the correct part from a dealer. In the meantime, a short length of hose, plugged with a metal dowel and clipped will suffice. There is no pressure involved.
Regards Geoff Peace.

Golddeenoh
04-24-2013, 04:40 PM
make sure you clean up the fluid it will eat paint and be a pain to repair the damage from.

lamadoo
04-25-2013, 03:35 AM
Thanks guys, when my mom got back i flushed it with water but unfortunately the damage was doen already. Its only a small small spot in the inside corner (can't see it unless you stick your head under). Its nasty stuff indeed, corroded the paint really fast.

Looked everywhere in town and finally found this nice rubber blank cap thats a perfect snug fit at one of the hardware shops, i dont feel the need to clip itl. A lot thicker and durable than the oem plug. Only costs a couple of dollars:thumbup:

Heres a pic of the leaked/ripped stocked one and the new off-market cap. Dot 3 was eating through the oem cap because it was really thin and made it very hard at the tip and protrude. Now that i learned my lesson, i will change or check it at every bleeding intervals. :)

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1892/watercap.png